Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
bradleyjay34

06-15-2012 02:20:40 | More by bradleyjay34
SmartyPints

1.7/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Poured a hazy dark orange/coppery color. Half finger white head that went down almost right away. Little streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Nice strong floral hop smell from the get go with caramel malts being a underlying aroma.I noticed when it warms up a little a odd rubbing alcohol smell overpowers everything.

T- Nice healthy hop bite at the tip of my tounge with the first couple drinks. Noticed that the taste went from bitter pleasant hop taste to a overpowering rubbing alcoholish taste as it hit the back of my tounge. The malts never really shine at all as the alcohol kills off all flavor right after the front hop bite.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Citrus hops and lots of rubbing alcohol left on the palate. Aftertaste was nothing but rubbing alcohol and destroyed hops. This beer had a strong off flavor with the rubbing alcohol pretty much from the ending of the front to the backend. High alcohol drying on the mouth.

O- I suspect this is an off bottle but after three sips I had to drain pour this one. I would like to rereview this one when I get a chance but for now this beer was pretty bad which stunk as it looked good out of the bottle. Sadly that is where it ended.

12-09-2011 04:19:19 | More by SmartyPints
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.73/5  rDev -52.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into an oversized snifter.

Bright orange body. A finger's worth of bright white head disappears to just a skim pretty quickly, but a smallish head is easily revived with repeated swirlings. Lacing is teased, but the bubbles are slippery/wet and just slide back down into the glass.

What's that weird doughy smell? Not appetizing at all. Candyish sweetness and some floral/herbal notes. Where are the hops? Alcohol is very noticeable.

After tasting, I ask again, where the heck are the hops? Doughy flavor with a bit of a sour tang (maybe it's sourdough!). Lots of sugary sweetness- not big malty sweetness, but like it's spiked with simple syrup. Way too sweet. There is some bitterness (definitely not 'imperial' level), but no real hop presence to speak of. The alcohol is once again very noticeable. A mess of a beer. I made weird faces trying to choke this down.

Lightish body. Could use some more carbonation (although I'd put that last on the list of needed improvements).

Overall impression: Subpar DIPA, damn near a drainpour. Didn't enjoy this one at all and wouldn't buy it again. I doubt it was an old bottle, as the store where I bought it has great turnover. Bad bottle? God, I hope so. Not sure I have the stones to try it again, but if I have a different experience, I'll adjust the review accordingly.

04-22-2009 16:05:24 | More by PDXHops
lbkornlb14

1.8/5  rDev -50.5%

As a big fan of speakeasy beers since trying their Big Daddy IPA, which I can say I was pleasantly surprised with, I also enjoyed the Grandaddy Barley wine, so Im in no way bias against this brewery.

First the appearance is good, its what you expect from a typical IPA/DIPA, Dark Straw/Light Copper. The smell is almost non existent, maybe a slight grassy hop, here's when it starts to go awry, at 9.5% this beer is no joke, but it doesn't hide the alcohol at all, the alcohol taste on this dipa is very, very strong, borderline undrinkable unless Ice cold. I taste a slight malt presence but you almost have to look for it with the immense alcohol taste. This beer needs to be overhauled, reduce the alcohol or hide it better Speakeasy. Your better then this. The mouth-feel is easy/watery and the drinkability is not very good until you get drunk enough to no longer taste the alcohol. If you have only tried this beer from speakeasy, try their others as this was a miss.

12-24-2009 02:00:29 | More by lbkornlb14
HopHedz

1.93/5  rDev -47%

I am normally a huge fan of Double IPA's. Some of my favorites include Imperial Gemini (southern tier), Double Simcoe (weyerbacher), Greenflash Imperial, and Racer 5. But this beer gave me a totally different DIPA taste; it was much to floral and almost perfume-like, i felt like i was drinking Tulip Flowers crushed up and fermented. So if you like citrusy,crisp, piney, and grapefruity tastes in your IPA steer clear of this beer. Not what i expected to say the least.

04-17-2009 04:19:43 | More by HopHedz
JimmieFrisbee

Rhode Island

1.98/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured into pint glass from 12 oz. bottle. Frothy white head, hazy orange-straw color.

Smells like a beer strong in alcohol. Maybe hints of orange. Kind of stings the nose a bit.

Wow. Doesn't taste like any beer I've had before... reminds me of some candy that I can't quite place, or... something about it reminds me of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips, although there is nothing chocolately about this beer. A light bitterness, maybe a caramel-like flavor there too -- almost toffee-like, or something. I really can't place it. I swear you'll think I'm crazy but in the finish it really reminds of those chocolate chips, but without the chocolate. Can definitely feel the heat from the alcohol, too. Notsomuch getting anything from the hops, though.

Pretty thick mouthfeel, not too harshly carbonated. Drinkability on this one is low. Won't be going back for another after this one is finished. Don't know that I'd get this one again, in fact.

Overall, I'm confused by this beer. The smell didn't match up with the taste, and the taste to me is just perplexing. Doesn't taste like any beer I've had before. No date, or even a code, anywhere on the single bottle I bought from Wakefield Liquors... could be past its prime? Maybe "Double Down 002" means something, but I can't even find a website for the brewery. I guess I'll never know. Don't think I'll be going back for second try.

06-19-2009 20:15:48 | More by JimmieFrisbee
LilBeerDoctor

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

Bottle, bottled 9/23/08. Pours a hazy deep orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, acetone, alcohol. Flavor is lots of acetone with an alcohol burn in the finish. Sweet and alcoholic. Ick. This would have been a drainpour for me (except my boyfriend found in tolerable).
5/4/4/2/10 (2.5/5)

01-25-2009 23:48:18 | More by LilBeerDoctor
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured into a tulip, it has a clear, light copper color. The head is newspaper white, with a film of foam and really good lacing. There are quite a bit of bubbles floating in the glass, creating a more lively looking carbonation than most beers in this style.

If I were reviewing the aroma based on the bottle cap, this would score really well. Unfortunately, the beer in the glass smells like an old, faded DIPA. There is a decent caramel malt sweetness, as well as a subtle fruitiness. The hops have a faint citrus quality, but they are hidden behind the smell of wet newspaper. This is either really oxidized, or old.

The taste is a little more close to that of a DIPA. It's got high bitterness, some fruitiness, and just a touch of malts. It really just isn't that great though. The hop flavor doesn't have any fresh pop to it, and it has a bit of a cardboard taste. Overall, it tastes and feels a bit lifeless. The body is on the thin side, but not in a good way. The carbonation is a bit too high, which only adds to the other issues.

The bottle claims the beers are "fresh" because they are made in small batches. This is certainly not fresh, which is why all brewers should have freshness dates on their bottles. I'm sure this is an old bottle, but without a date, I can only say this is a bad beer.

05-12-2010 00:25:26 | More by jeffthecheff
Arbitrator

2.33/5  rDev -36%

Chilled bottle into a glass

A: Pours a hazy canteloupe orange with an inch of off-white head. Nice carbonation up the center of the glass. The head recedes into a collar around the drink and leaves lacing down the glass.

S: I had two bottles of this. One smelled like this: grapefruit and pine hops, with light touches of floral hops and caramel malt. The other bottle had the same makeup but a strong metallic and boozy component. There is some significant bottle variation here.

T: Consists of very strong caramel malt with a lighter balance of grapefruit and piney hops entering the mid-taste. The finish is a lingering floral hop bitterness. The metallic-smelling bottle also had a slight coppery aftertaste. I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but I have to admit it doesn't really represent the IIPA style well.

M: Medium carbonation, with medium body. Good coating and a moderate stickiness.

D: Again, I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but my experience with the off-bottle leads me to think there's some huge quality control issue. It's an ok beer, but I don't buy it anymore because I never know what I'm getting.

03-12-2009 04:15:54 | More by Arbitrator
SickBrew

Washington

2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

Purchased from By the Bottle, in Vancouver WA in a standard 12oz bottle. Pours great except the head is rather light. For the nose I'm picking up more malts than hops and the hops that are there are a bit dull. In fact in smells more like an amber than an Imperial IPA. The flavor follows the nose. To much caramel and there's a bit of a tough bite going on. I'm almost wondering if my bottle was bad! Overall this was not so good and it came fairly highly recommended. I think I try this again and see if she tastes the same and edit my review accordingly.

Prost!

09-13-2008 23:35:02 | More by SickBrew
Knapp85

2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

Murky brownish color with a nice head, the flavor is hoppy but not in a way that really impressed me. The hops were more on the earthy side and not very citrusy or bright. Not really what I was hoping for in an American IPA. The aroma is earthy too with a slight aroma of malts.

03-30-2011 03:44:09 | More by Knapp85
largadeer

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

I'm not a huge fan of this brewery, but I don't see a lot of double IPAs in 12 oz bottles, so I decided to give this one a shot. Bottle poured into a Stone IPA glass.

A: Darker than most IPAs, this resembles more of an ESB to me. The head poured fairly thin and quickly faded into a ring.

S: Oily hops and sweet citrus. It has a fairly pronounced smell.

T: Overwhelming hops and alcohol; definitely not a subtle beer. The high ABV is quite apparent.

M: Medium-bodied and crisply carbonated.

Very rough around the edges, especially when compared to other Pacific-brewed double IPAs, such as Rogue's I2PA or Stone's Ruination.

10-21-2006 03:14:46 | More by largadeer

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

03-30-2013 01:30:04 | More by BGsWo22
WaffleSauce

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

I was pretty darn dissapointed with this one. . .so much so that I don't even feel like going in to the full fledged review.

Bought a 4-pack 12ozs at BevMo. Poured with little head (about 1/8"), and close to no lacing. Looks more like a god Pale than a a DIPA (or an IPA for that matter!). Average nose for an IPA. Taste wasn't bad. . .just lacking. For a double IPA, I'm not sensing double anything. . .if nothing else, the lack of everything leaves it balanced. Anderson Valley's HopOttin standard IPA has a WAY more impressive taste & mouthfeel.

If this is the only option. . .go for it, it's not bad. . .but it's far from good. Very dissapointing =(

03-01-2006 04:58:40 | More by WaffleSauce
CharlatanSin

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

I enjoy Speakeasy's IPA, so I was looking forward to giving this a try. Poured on tap into a tulip at Amsterdam Ale House.

Appearance: Nice hazy golden amber. There's a one finger, remarkably even, foamy white head. Unfortunately, it goes all black hole and collapses on itself shortly thereafter, leaving no trace in terms of lacing or even a lingering ring.

Smell: Nice hop profile. I'm getting mostly citrus, with a solid showing by pine and floral. Not bad at all.

Taste: Hoo, boy. The hops, which smelled so nice, are overly astringent and peppery on the tongue. Not very pleasant. There's grapefruit, and pine that comes out more as it warms, but it's all very harsh. Keep in mind, I'm a major hophead, so if I say it's harsh, it's harsh. No balancing sweet malt to speak of. This is enhanced by the very strong alcohol presence in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, but on the whole a bit light for the style, which makes the strong alcoholic presence seem out of place to me. I don't mind a boozy IPA, as long as it's thick. This is not.

Drinkability: Double IPAs are undoubtedly my favorite style, but this one is the first I've strongly disliked. Doubly disappointing since their regular IPA is solid.

12-17-2009 05:42:49 | More by CharlatanSin
BerkeleyBeerMan

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance: Hazy honey amber color. Short thin head with low retention and slight lacing.

Smell: Caramel malts. Extremely bitter hops. Resiny pine. Some tropical fruit. Heavy alcohol smell in the mix that doesn't blend so well with the beer. Needs some better finishing hops.

Taste: Grapefuit, pine and then big dose of warming almost mouth numbing alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Malty. Very heavy. Finishes warm and bitter. Could use some more balance.

Overall: One of the weaker double IPA's I've head because usually double IPA's have even more hop and malt flavor than IPA's but this one is just too big bitter and boozey. I won't revisit.

01-02-2012 06:26:08 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
kojevergas

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Served on-draught into a plastic cup at Speakeasy's decrepit warehouse - I mean - brewpub. Reviewed from notes. This style is usually brewed without regard for balance, so my expectations were low.

Presentation: Nothing turns me off to a beer more than when its brewers see no issue with serving it into plastic cups. Come on, now.

A: No head at all (likely as a result of the high ABV). Colour is a cloudy orange.

Sm: Orange citrus ester fruit hops. A simple, generic, mild strength aroma.

T: Light hops alongside a backbone of awkward malts. Light butterscotch is present - barely (diacetyl?). Built alright, but imbalanced to be sure. Its biggest flaw is its simplicity. Luckily, no alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Doesn't suit the flavour. Also, it's sharp and thick, limiting its drinkability.

Dr: It hides its ABV well, but the sharp, thick mouthfeel and lack of complexity or inspiration make this a lackluster brew I'll never have again.

12-24-2011 21:28:12 | More by kojevergas
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

I got this beer in a trade from washburnkid! Thank you!

I went into this beer without looking at a single review on it, but found myself agreeing on a alot of points here.

It pours a decent color with a small head, good for a DIPA. The smell is malty/ sugar sweet. No bitterness at all. The taste is SWEET like pineapple sweet with a touch of tart in there. Not bitter, tart. It was OK.

As for M: and D: It was ok on the palate but for 9.5% you need to enjoy a beer, and I was just OK with it.

04-27-2009 23:17:30 | More by madtowndmb1
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Eeek! This one is waaay too sweet. It's like a lousy attempt at a 120-Minute IPA. That beer is crazy sweet too, but I think it's also hoppier and well suited for aging. For me, this was hard to put down. Out of balance, not enjoyable. Maybe someone will try this and say to themselves that it is a suitable replacement for 120-Minute due to its cost and availability, but meh.

01-04-2013 21:35:59 | More by TheRealBigC
Lawl3ss

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Lightly chilled bomber into a shaker pint. No visible bottling date.

Look- Clear medium amber, three fingers of head that fall quickly, leaving a decent cap and plenty of splotchy lace.

Smell- Pine, chocolate, toffee, and a dose of solvent. As it warms, it takes on a musty, musky aroma that overwhelms what clean scents there were. Not a dealbreaker, necessarily, but not very appealing, either.

Taste- Nutty malt, some chocolate, oats perhaps, strong boozy feel. Earthy, dark, musky hop flavor. English-y I suppose, but it needs something brighter to compensate for the alcohol; the tealike hops and overly assertive malt aren't cutting it for me. Herbal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full body, low carb. Sluggish feel, moderately harsh alcohol burn. 12 oz is more than enough, I think I'll finally break out those beer saver caps I got as a present a while back. Too heavy? Too light? I'm not sure.

Overall- The moonshine of beers? I'm not sure, but I won't be picking it up again. Feels like it will put hair on your chest. I think I can see what they were trying to do here, and if dark, musky hops and dominant malt are your thing and you don't mind a bit of nailpolish remover, it might suit you well. I'm not a big fan, however.

06-20-2012 04:13:40 | More by Lawl3ss
ommegangpbr

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Thought I'd give this fellow a try since I havent had any brews from this brewery before.
Looks good enough in the glass. Pretty typical IPA type appearance that leaves a nice sheet of lace as the glass empties.
Smells.... boozey. Pretty boozey to almost too boozey. You get some hops in there, as well as fermented fruit smells but for the most part it doesn't strike me as thrilling or especially attractive. It's not off putting but it does not seduce.
Flavors work along the same way. Booze is strong with some hop flavor and bitterness. Booze seems to make this sweeter than it need be. Balance is off as far as my palate tells me. Mouthfeel is take it or leave it.
Towards the end of the serving I found myself thinking about pouring out what was left in my glass. Things just weren't working out between us. I'm not likely to buy this again and can't recommend this in the face of so many tasty examples of the style.

10-04-2007 02:06:00 | More by ommegangpbr
andyfrancis

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Light to copperish amber color, with nice frothy head, just a shade off of white. Head is holding up well, reducing very slowly.

Smells very hoppy as one would expect, but there's almost a burnt character to it. Not sure what's up.

Holy shit...not in a good way. Tastes like grain alcohol. Very little hop flavor, or any other flavor for that matter. Again, not sure what's up with this beer.

Astringent as a mofo.

This bomber is going to leave me with a nice buzz, but it's going to be like work getting it down.

I'm a fan of Big Daddy and Speakeasy in general. I'lll often, especially lately, grab a pint of it around SF, but this did not work for me at all.

07-07-2010 03:53:53 | More by andyfrancis
xxHelderxx

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Being in love with DIPAs, this beer struck me oddly. Let me explain

The appearance wasnt bad, although its a little lighter in color that I'm used to, not necessarily a bad thing. Its a light amber color that yielded a good head with lots of retention and lacing.

The smell is very malty with some hops in there accompanied by some alcohol.

The taste is where this beer lost me (no big deal right? lol). God there is just NOT enough hops presence here! Its very malty, to the point of being unbalanced. I need more hops man! Basically all I taste is malts and alcohol with a tiiiiny touch of hops, you gotta search for it though.

The mouthfeel is awkward. I'm not sure how to describe it but I'll try. The malts kind of throws me off here. Maybe its the strange malts + alcohol combo that leaves a strange aftertaste. Its like alcohol first, malts second and then very late to the party is a midget hops character.

Not drinkable, I'll be honest. I hate being critical of any DIPA... but man..this is just not exceptional..and barely average.. actually.. not average.. I don't like this beer.

Wont be buying again, wouldn't recommend to any IPA lover.

02-15-2009 04:21:12 | More by xxHelderxx
bbothen

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a clear pale orange color with a small less than 1 finger deep off white head.

Aroma of light citrus hops, pine, grassy, some booze, faint caramel.

The taste here is hoppy & bitter, but not alot of the aromas from the nose come through. Sort of a vegetable like taste going on. Still some pine, citrus, and big boozy flavor.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin I'd say.

Couldn't say I could have another. I typically like beers from Speakeasy. This was a miss for me.

02-24-2009 01:00:59 | More by bbothen