Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

I got this beer in a trade from washburnkid! Thank you!

I went into this beer without looking at a single review on it, but found myself agreeing on a alot of points here.

It pours a decent color with a small head, good for a DIPA. The smell is malty/ sugar sweet. No bitterness at all. The taste is SWEET like pineapple sweet with a touch of tart in there. Not bitter, tart. It was OK.

As for M: and D: It was ok on the palate but for 9.5% you need to enjoy a beer, and I was just OK with it.

04-27-2009 23:17:30 | More by madtowndmb1
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

355ml bottle bought from McHughs, Dublin..

Poured a nice golden orange colour. White head poured small but pretty thick then faded to light wispy coating with thickish edging... barely any carbonation... some decent lacing lines...

Aroma - Blast of juicy mouth watering fruits (grapefruits, oranges, limes, apples), lots of strong piney and floral hops, very perfumed, some talcum powder traces, light rubberiness, honey sweetness, some basil herbalness..

Taste - Lots of floral and citrus hop bitterness followed by light sugary sweetness, juicy tart fruits (grapefruits, lemons, pears), light caramel malts and hints of floral honey, some graininess, tobacco hints, chalky, quite herbal, alcohol just noticeable, perfumed, coppery...

M&D - Smooth and creamy with a little sharp bite... medium / full bodied... pretty drinkable for a 9.5% brew

Overall - A pretty good double IPA - full of flavour and very drinkable... recommended...

04-27-2009 13:16:26 | More by mdagnew
noknife83

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice find while at BevMo last week. Initially it made me curious that it was only being sold in 4-packs. A very well crafted IPA, very strong very hoppy, and syrupy. If you are a casual beer drinking this beer is not for. This is for those serious about strong flavored, high ABV, and those who want something different. I hope I can find this beer down by me, I got it while in the desert. The BevMo there was 4 times the size one where I live, there were so many beers there I'd never seen before...Wish I had something good like Double Daddy tonight, tonight I'm stuck with PBR.

04-25-2009 03:26:05 | More by noknife83
orbitalr0x

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The eyes on the label are following me...deep red orange pour with good clarity and a half inch of foam on top that sticks to the side of the glass. Aromas kick off with sweet, caramel background that is overtaken by a cavalcade of earthy, piney, resinous hops. A good deal of honey accents with floral notes as well. Even a bit peppery.

First sip brings sweet malts upfront with caramel and honey accents. Earthy, resinous hops move in with a good deal of pine flavor as well. Peppery bitterness kicks in on the way down but the sweetness still prevails. Lingering hop tones on the back of the palate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good sturdy maltiness that unfortunately leads to a bit too much sweetness overall for me as well. A pretty tasty double IPA but I couldn't drink more than one or possibly two in a sitting.

04-24-2009 02:23:11 | More by orbitalr0x
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.73/5  rDev -52.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into an oversized snifter.

Bright orange body. A finger's worth of bright white head disappears to just a skim pretty quickly, but a smallish head is easily revived with repeated swirlings. Lacing is teased, but the bubbles are slippery/wet and just slide back down into the glass.

What's that weird doughy smell? Not appetizing at all. Candyish sweetness and some floral/herbal notes. Where are the hops? Alcohol is very noticeable.

After tasting, I ask again, where the heck are the hops? Doughy flavor with a bit of a sour tang (maybe it's sourdough!). Lots of sugary sweetness- not big malty sweetness, but like it's spiked with simple syrup. Way too sweet. There is some bitterness (definitely not 'imperial' level), but no real hop presence to speak of. The alcohol is once again very noticeable. A mess of a beer. I made weird faces trying to choke this down.

Lightish body. Could use some more carbonation (although I'd put that last on the list of needed improvements).

Overall impression: Subpar DIPA, damn near a drainpour. Didn't enjoy this one at all and wouldn't buy it again. I doubt it was an old bottle, as the store where I bought it has great turnover. Bad bottle? God, I hope so. Not sure I have the stones to try it again, but if I have a different experience, I'll adjust the review accordingly.

04-22-2009 16:05:24 | More by PDXHops
Cakanator

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Tap @ Sierra. Had this and the OA unearthly next to each other. Although I wasn't impressed with the oak aging on the other beer, the hops and full flavor just wasn't coming through on this one. Not too much citrus, seemed a little boozy and unbalanced. It wasn't the worst IIPA i've ever had, but after recently having hop 15 and full throttle I thought this was a bit tame. Not bad, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

04-22-2009 13:55:28 | More by Cakanator
HopoPotomus

Vermont

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

All in all this is a decent Imperial IPA. The beer would have been tremendously improved had the citrus tones and malt been able to overpower the somewhat hot smell and taste from a 9.5 ABV beer. Try this if your curious and really like high octane beers. You won't find anything truly special but you will still have smartly spent your beer dollars.

04-20-2009 22:31:21 | More by HopoPotomus
HopHedz

1.93/5  rDev -47%

I am normally a huge fan of Double IPA's. Some of my favorites include Imperial Gemini (southern tier), Double Simcoe (weyerbacher), Greenflash Imperial, and Racer 5. But this beer gave me a totally different DIPA taste; it was much to floral and almost perfume-like, i felt like i was drinking Tulip Flowers crushed up and fermented. So if you like citrusy,crisp, piney, and grapefruity tastes in your IPA steer clear of this beer. Not what i expected to say the least.

04-17-2009 04:19:43 | More by HopHedz
alleykatking

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

I was kind of fearful to open the bottle with those eyes on the bottle looking at me. So after talking myself into opening the bottle I snuck up on it. Didn't see it coming....

A- Poured into a pint glass. Little quater inch head that went down almost right away (looks like I scared it when I opened it). Little lacing on the sides of the glass. Poured a nice dark orange/copper color kind of hazy and murky.

S- Nice strong floral hop smell from the get go but I noticed when it warms up a little a odd rubbing alcohol smell overpowers everything.

T- Nice healthy hop bite at the tip of my tounge with the first couple drinks. Noticed that the taste went from bitter pleasant hop taste to a overpowering rubbing alcoholish taste as it hit the back of my tounge. (That's what those eyes were trying to tell me!)

M- It seemed a little heavy but not as heavy as most other DIPA's. It wasn't too overpowering and at the same time let you know you had a beer in your mouth.

D- I might have had an off bottle although I still enjoyed it. With an 9.5% ABV I could only drink 2-3 without overdoing myself

04-06-2009 03:32:20 | More by alleykatking
iuhoosier336

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bottle. The beer is a cloudy yellowish tan. About a finger and a half of head and some lacing. The smell is of hops and a hint of citrus.

The taste is very strong on hops that really knocks your socks off followed by the alcohol. Wish there was a little more here but that's pretty much all I got. The mouthfeel was pretty good but this is a beer that I'd only drink one or two of. The alcohol isn't hidden so you can really tell you're getting into something heavy.

04-02-2009 19:35:57 | More by iuhoosier336
Jayli

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer poured a pale, hazy copper color. Roughly a one finger of white head that receded fairly quickly, but left behind so thin lacing. Nose is definitely of fruity hops, orange is the first scent I picked up on, with some mild grapefruit tones mixed in. The nose is rather muted for hops, though they are present. Taste for me just wasn't blended well, grapefruit is the first taste that hits the tongue, and then some orange. There is a breadiness to the taste as well. The mouhfeel is a bit chewy, highly carbonated, medium bodied. Overall, I've had better beers of this style.

03-13-2009 00:18:43 | More by Jayli
Arbitrator

2.33/5  rDev -36%

Chilled bottle into a glass

A: Pours a hazy canteloupe orange with an inch of off-white head. Nice carbonation up the center of the glass. The head recedes into a collar around the drink and leaves lacing down the glass.

S: I had two bottles of this. One smelled like this: grapefruit and pine hops, with light touches of floral hops and caramel malt. The other bottle had the same makeup but a strong metallic and boozy component. There is some significant bottle variation here.

T: Consists of very strong caramel malt with a lighter balance of grapefruit and piney hops entering the mid-taste. The finish is a lingering floral hop bitterness. The metallic-smelling bottle also had a slight coppery aftertaste. I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but I have to admit it doesn't really represent the IIPA style well.

M: Medium carbonation, with medium body. Good coating and a moderate stickiness.

D: Again, I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but my experience with the off-bottle leads me to think there's some huge quality control issue. It's an ok beer, but I don't buy it anymore because I never know what I'm getting.

03-12-2009 04:15:54 | More by Arbitrator
StJamesGate

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours hazy orange with a rocky white head that fades but laces. Nose is very sweet candied orange with some spice. Cakey malts with some clove and, as another review said, cantaloupe. Cut by piney, mulchy hops that fade into an alcohol burn at the end. Moderate feel with some creaminess.

Interesting malt flavors start to happen but then get stomped on. Even a DIPA shouldn't have more hotness than hoppiness. Needs better balance, smoother finish.

03-06-2009 17:52:23 | More by StJamesGate
mjl21

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Only bottling info is the bottle says Double Down 002. Comes in at 9.50%.

A-Pours a cloudy yellow/brown with a one finger head that goes away fast. Lots of yeast pieces swirling around in the glass. Nice lacing is left.

S-A ton of citrus, in this case sweet orange. There is also a tad bit of mustiness coming out.

T-Citrus, spoecifically orange peel and apricot come in after an initial blast from sweet malt. Some grassiness comes in on the back.

M-Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation. Not the bitterness I am looking for with a DIPA.

D-Would prefer more hops, less sweet malt. Not nearly as boozy as previous bottles that I have consumed.

I have tried this beer on a few occasions and felt this may have been the best/freshest batch. The alcohol burn that I have always associated with this beer has been tamed. I would like to see the sweetness muted and the hop bite kicked up.

03-06-2009 17:08:53 | More by mjl21
mfhlucky13

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Pours yellow-orange with just a touch of head.

S: Sweet, some hops, but I just cant get past the sweet fruitiness. Small bit of malt.

T: Hoppy and bitter, piney, sweet fruit, melon, then bitter again. Still sweet again, too sweet.

M: Kind of strange. Smooth but cloying.

D: One and done. Not really enjoying this one.

03-03-2009 18:59:52 | More by mfhlucky13
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Everything about this beer screams cantaloupe. The color is cantaloupe, the smell is cantaloupe, the taste is watery cantaloupe and candy sweetness, and the mouth feel is like a slightly watered down juice made with, hum, cantaloupe. If this is your favorite fruit, meet your new favorite beer. Down the drain.

02-27-2009 02:21:16 | More by BarrytheBear
snpub540

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a bronze hue, with a fluffy eggshell colored head. Left alot of clingy foam the whole way down.

Smell was all hops with floral and grassy hops being the most evident. Also a slightly sweet smell in there.

Taste was all hops and very dry. Grassy and piney. Taste doesn't linger. Slight alcohol presence as it goes down.

Felt thin on the palate. The alcohol is definately there and makes itself known.

02-25-2009 03:45:45 | More by snpub540
bbothen

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a clear pale orange color with a small less than 1 finger deep off white head.

Aroma of light citrus hops, pine, grassy, some booze, faint caramel.

The taste here is hoppy & bitter, but not alot of the aromas from the nose come through. Sort of a vegetable like taste going on. Still some pine, citrus, and big boozy flavor.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin I'd say.

Couldn't say I could have another. I typically like beers from Speakeasy. This was a miss for me.

02-24-2009 01:00:59 | More by bbothen
DoubleJ

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Single bottle from Total Wine, on to the beer:

The head is slightly creamy, but fuzzy and low on top this hazy, iced tea colored beer. Only a hair of lacing on the glass. Lighter, paler orange with some hues of yellow, darker orange in some places. The aroma is very sweet, like caramel. Super sweet caramel, herbal notes, no major hops to speak of. I'm not a big fan of it.

The taste isn't in your face, it's quite mellow. Still, it's too sweet. Peppermint-like spice, mixed with faded hops. Carmelized pinneapple comes to mind. Herbal and somewhat dirty in the mouth. Solvent alcohol burns down the throat.

Could this be an older bottle? It seems like it. I might retry later, but choosing between this and its little borther, I'll be happy with Big Daddy.

02-15-2009 06:46:51 | More by DoubleJ
xxHelderxx

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Being in love with DIPAs, this beer struck me oddly. Let me explain

The appearance wasnt bad, although its a little lighter in color that I'm used to, not necessarily a bad thing. Its a light amber color that yielded a good head with lots of retention and lacing.

The smell is very malty with some hops in there accompanied by some alcohol.

The taste is where this beer lost me (no big deal right? lol). God there is just NOT enough hops presence here! Its very malty, to the point of being unbalanced. I need more hops man! Basically all I taste is malts and alcohol with a tiiiiny touch of hops, you gotta search for it though.

The mouthfeel is awkward. I'm not sure how to describe it but I'll try. The malts kind of throws me off here. Maybe its the strange malts + alcohol combo that leaves a strange aftertaste. Its like alcohol first, malts second and then very late to the party is a midget hops character.

Not drinkable, I'll be honest. I hate being critical of any DIPA... but man..this is just not exceptional..and barely average.. actually.. not average.. I don't like this beer.

Wont be buying again, wouldn't recommend to any IPA lover.

02-15-2009 04:21:12 | More by xxHelderxx
surfer4life

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle

A- Murky gold, looks to be some sediment to, not used to that in an DIPA.

S - Skunky and sweet at the same time. The sweet overtakes the bitterness. Vanilla smells ovewhelm but a small floral hops boquet can be detected.

T - It's definitely hoppy, however the taste is not lasting and can be a bit aggresive. Nearly skunked like the bottle has been in the sun a while. But then the sweet hits on the finish. Odd tasting this one. Not great, not really bad, just have to drink the whole thing.

M - Medium to low carbonation, almost syrupy. coats the mouth well however.

D - Afraid not to much. I would say this is the last time I have this one.

02-10-2009 03:31:05 | More by surfer4life
sholland119

On tap at Capone's.

A-Pours a clear golden orange with a thin white head.

S-Lots of malt and citrus hops in the nose.

T-Nicely balanced between sweet malt and grapefruit hops, finishing with a significant hop bite.

M-Medium bodied and dry.

D-A tasty DIPA. I have wanted to try this one for a while; glad I got the chance.

HV

01-28-2009 13:14:45 | More by sholland119
LilBeerDoctor

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

Bottle, bottled 9/23/08. Pours a hazy deep orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, acetone, alcohol. Flavor is lots of acetone with an alcohol burn in the finish. Sweet and alcoholic. Ick. This would have been a drainpour for me (except my boyfriend found in tolerable).
5/4/4/2/10 (2.5/5)

01-25-2009 23:48:18 | More by LilBeerDoctor
SteveO1231

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev -25%

Picked up a bottle at Table & Vine following a friend's advice.

12oz. brown bottle with lazer etched label talking about prohibition stuff.

Poured a bright amber with a nice layer of white foam and a little bit of lacing spider-webbed on my glass.

Aroma is interesting. Malty, hints of pungent hops and a strange tea-tree / hemp oil aroma.

Full-bodied, plenty of carbonation and a slight slickness in texture.

Light malt sweetness up front. hops are very light in this one. Grassy, herbal hop bitterness that really does not jive with the DIPA's that I am a fan of. That tea-tree oil aroma is tasted n flavor as well. The beer finishes with a pungent dryness, combined with soap makes this beer overall not very pleasant.

Abv is high and warming.

I'll be passing on this one in the future.

Cheers!

01-22-2009 03:04:31 | More by SteveO1231
blane1

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

bottle poured into pint glass

A - cloudy amber with foam lacing.

S - light crisp fruit/citrus

T - Hoppy kick with smooth fruit/citrus tang

M/D - fizzy but not nasty with a mild alcohol coating. Citrus/hop with a mild kick.

Good stuff! Will enjoy again.

01-05-2009 02:59:37 | More by blane1