Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Found this one in the cooler at Papago Brewing, where I included it in my mix-a-six-pack. The brewery name stood out to me, but then I noticed the really high 9.5% ABV and figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

The beer looked as expected - a clean, golden amber color with a decent head. The smell was a light citrus floral aroma, with a decent hoppy scent to it, but nothing overpowering. I do like my IPAs was a lot of hop though... The taste was also subdued. It was mellow with a medium thickness, but bitterness but not enough to really stand out. Aftertaste was crisp with lingering citrus flavor. Not a lot of carbonation either, so didn't fill you up. The beer did go down pretty smooth, which was appreciated. This isn't a beer I would likely get a lot of, as I like my IPAs much more characteristic than this beer. Also, the high alcohol content would get me into some trouble.

Appearance - clean, golden amber - light head - 3.0
Smell - 3.5 - nice citrusly floral hop aroma - not overpowering
Taste - 3.5 - nice mellow taste, bitterness there but subdued
Feel - 4.0 - smooth and little aftertaste; crisp, cirtus aftertaste
Drinkability - 3.0 - dangerous beer because of high alcohol content; being a smoother beer, these would go down fast without knowing it.

taxguyjase, Oct 23, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

A- Pours a clear peach color with a nice, 2 finger off white head.

S- Smell is very hoppy, deep piney notes, resiny, sweet light fruit notes.

T- Resiny hops all the way through, an unbalanced grainy maltiness followed by a raw alcohol character.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- It was all going so well until I took the first sip! The unhidden alcohol and lack of cohesiveness really make this one I wouldn't revisit.

Lothore, Oct 22, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked this up because I can't say no to any IIPA.

A- Poured into my snifter a lighter golden color with a good 2 fingers of head that dissapated to just a ring of bubbles around the side. So far the lacing looks as if it will be good.

S- Classic hoppy grapefruit smells is awesome! I can already tell I am going to like this beer. Although this smells good, it doesn't quite compare to the potent smell of some other IIPA's I have had including Pliny the Elder and Avery Maharaja.

T- Wow... Powerful brew with the hops and it is lovely. Grapefruit and orange peel and almost no alcohol taste. I like me a strong and hoppy IIPA.

M- Feels very light in the mouth while also feeling bubbly. Hops linger on the palate and as the taste goes away your palate is begging for more.

D- I could drink a few of these if I wanted get knocked out fast. I wouldn't mind this however since this is such a tasty brew. Goes down fairly easy, 9.5% ABV is well hidden, I approve.

boogyman, Oct 22, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

Double Daddy is making it hard to type a review! Almost 10% alcohol numbs you up half way through the beer, luckily I wrote this review only halfway into the beer so I think it's accurate. However, I apologize for any typos...

Aroma:
Hops! Citrus, pine, fruit juice, mild spice, even a slight semi-sweet smell maybe of malt hiding below the hops. Can't smell any alcohol despite the 9.5% ABV.

Appearance:
Huge creamy white head, very uniform bubble size. Hazy orange in color with some red tones, head lasts a long time and leaves very good lacing

Taste:
Hops and malt fight back and forth, each quickly appearing on top then being subdued by the other, like two school kids fighting and tumbling about in the play ground. In the end, the hops prevail and celebrate into the aftertaste. Not surprisingly, alcohol shows up towards the end to congratulate the hops on their victory. Full bodied, almost creamy. Bitterness starts to build (just like the hot in hot salsas does) as you consume this IPA goliath and you start to have doubts about having another about half way through this beer. I know I could only handle 2 at most. Carbonation may be a tad low but it's close to right on and doesn't distract from the overall impression of the beer.

Finish:
Slight prickling bitterness lingers a few moments then fades until you are well into the beer and then it sticks around

birdypowder, Oct 18, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Sampled from a 12oz. bottle and served at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Three-plus fingers of bone white foam adorns this golden DIPA, glowing crystal clear in my glass. I was expecting a bit of haze, but this guy didn't seem to have any yeast lingering around whatsoever. The soapy crown finally falls, leaving webs of lacing thoroughly caked onto the walls of my glass.

Smell- Gobs and loads of juicy, grapefruit-infused hops with a little bit of pine resin meld with a bold, substantial malt backbone. Lush and quite deep.

Taste- A malty, richer version of a classic American DIPA... the hops are of course huge, but the depth of caramel malt and overall beefiness really keeps them in check. Surprisingly more approachable for the style than almost any other I can think of, it's not just a wickedly bittering hopbomb.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Soft and certainly more restrained than most of this style... it's definitely good but not the best of Speakeasy's lineup.

yelterdow, Oct 14, 2009

A: A one finger thick head. nice golden organge with plenty of carbonation rising from the bottom.

S: Boozy and some hops. The hops are a bit overwhelmed by the booze.

T: Kind of hoppy, but definitely a bit past its prime. The sweetness is a bit cloying. Not the hop bomb I was craving...

M: The heat is very present and the mouthfeel does have a bit of a harshness to it.

D: Meh, reallt just meh. I can drink it, but don't know if I would really want to

mikey711, Oct 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Picked this up in Sheil's Dorset Street Dublin. Only €2.39 a bottle, pretty sweet deal.

Ale pours a lovely light amber/yellow colour with a big white creamy head that settles to an inch against the glass and retains well.

Fantastic aroma from this IPA. Lots of sweet caramel and honey fragrances with some malty and slightly citrus notes.

Taste is sweet up front with malts and caramel to the fore followed by a serious whack of alcohol and a slightly spicey finish that warms beautifully.

Mouthfeel is quite full due to the carbonation and extremely dry to finish.

Given the 9.5% abv, this is hardly a session IPA but there's no doubt it goes down fantastically well and I'm a big fan of a few of these guys on a cool autumn evening.

Ruaidhri, Oct 05, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Crystal clear honey color, with a one finger eggshell head that slowly settles to a thick cap.

The hops are sharp, but overall the aroma is tame. The malts are well hidden in the background.

The only thing in this beer that seems to be double is the alcohol. It shows up toward the end, even when the beer is still chilled. Medium bodied, high carbonation. The hops are slight spicy, with some lightly toasty malts.

A lot of bark and little bite from this one. Not too bad, but for a DIPA this is mostly double the alcohol, less on the hops.

BeerSox, Oct 05, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

I had the joy of enjoying this, my first beer at The pony bar in Manhattan on Sundat September 27th. Review taken from notes.

An 8oz pour gives way to a light golden copper. Transparent, with a 1'' white bubbly head. Thick major coating of globby lace runs down the glass.
Aroma of of an orange ruduction sauce, syrupy sweetness, grapefruit and pine. Aroma is a bit sudued for the large build up of flavors coming out of taste.
Flavors are sweet, buttery, allot of sweet grain flavors and a fuller body. Definatley a higher mash temp with the busting at the seems grain sweetness.
Hops build into the swallow, bursting now with juicy citric flavors.
Finishing bitter with hop bite, yet still malty with trailing sweetness.
Mouthfeel is thicker then expected. Carbonation present but not dominant. This is not hot and alcahol is not present in flavors or aroma. Great brew. But a tad sweet for my likeing.

Buebie, Sep 30, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Not so great DIPA, all alcohol and bitterness. The mark of a good IPA or DIPA is hop flavor, not hop bitterness. Speakeasy's Double Daddy misses the mark in this respect. It's a strong beer at 9.5% abv and a bitter beer, but somehow, the hop bitterness doesn't even do a particularly good job at masking the alcohol. They really have a lot to work on with this beer. It's probably one of my least favorite DIPAs or IPAs out of around 100 reviewed so far. There's a caramel malt backbone in there somewhere, but the bitterness and alcohol mask it nearly entirely. I've given this beer a few chances now, and I'm still quite disappointed. I really want to like Speakeasy as a hometown brewery, but I simply haven't been a fan of their beers thus far. This beer is pretty middle of the road in terms of appearance, which is about the nicest thing that I can say about as compared to the style.

popery, Sep 29, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of Nick3 poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear, bubbly golden amber with a solid one-inch creamy head that shows very good retention and decent lacing.

It's mostly citrus rinds in the nose with orange and lemon zest and hints of grapefruit. Plenty of sweet caramel in there as well as some toasted bready malts.

The taste has a stinging bitterness up front with some pithy citrus fruit, lots of oranges. The backbone is toasted bread and some caramel malts. There is an overall astringency and herbal character that doesn't seem to come together all that well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and almost syrupy with the hop juice sitting pretty heavily on the tongue alongside a sugary malt sweetness.

This is a decent DIPA though there's nothing to set it apart from most others out there. It's a bit syrupy with an astringent herbal character that takes away from the drinkability a bit.

gford217, Sep 22, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Medium amber color with a medium sized head with decent looking lace.

The aroma did not jump up at me with floral hops and there were some malt hints.

The taste is bitter with some malt tones,some mild grapefruit and a very sharp sting of alcohol. The balance just seemed off. sort of dry in the finish. The hops were good and the warmth was a titan,so it was really the balance.

Notes: I tried it and overall I just felt it was off the mark.

Lexluthor33, Sep 21, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Perhaps my tastes have changed in the almost a year since I had this on tap, but I'm not liking it quite as much now as I did then. Maybe I got a bad bottle. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Looks pretty good -- orangey-golden with visible carbonation, only a little head, and decent lacing. Smell is weak but fruity and malty.

Taste is slightly metallic and a little sour, hops don't come out very well but they're there.

Mouthfeel is okay -- light, but a little flat feeling and a little astringent. Fairly drinkable, but probably not a beer to sit down and concentrate on.

snaotheus, Aug 28, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Grad in Davis.

A - Pours orange with 2 fingers of white head. Slowly dissipates leaving really nice lacing.

S - Notes of honey, caramel, citrus and resiny pine hops.

T - Honey, really tangy caramel-almost cloying, citrus, and resiny pine hops. Pronounced notes of alcohol as it warms up.

M - Light-medium bodied with light alcohol. The hops and malts don't mix very well in this concoction.

D - Not bad. There are much better examples of the DIPA though.

MisterClean, Aug 22, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip, bottled on date of July 2009.

A: Pours a beautiful yellow orange hue with a one finger creamy head that dissipates fairly quickly with pretty good lacing around the glass.

S: Lots of pine citrus hops, a little grapefruit, nice caramel malt comes through backed by just a touch of bready yeast.

T: Citrus grapefruit and tangerine, just a hint of dried fruit, caramel malt and a touch of toffee. Finishes with a crisp bitter pine resin that does a pretty good job of balancing the malt.

M: A little lighter than I expected from an imperial but still in the category of a medium body, finishes crisp.

D: Pretty drinkable for an imperial, and the alcohol is well covered by the malts. Pretty good imperial ipa overall, but has room for improvement.

RedBrewer83, Aug 22, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Orangeish Cloudy Color with very little head

Smell - Is a Sour piney smell.

Taste is a piney citrusy with a malty flavor that hangs at the end.

Mouthfeel - A bit bitey. Took a second taste to get a good feel foer this beer.

Drinkability - A 1 or 2 beer on each occasion. Definitely a strong alcohol effect if you drink more.

gravytrain, Aug 04, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Appears a copper toned amber with a small white cap that sticks around. Scattered bits of lacing.
Smell is of massive biscuits, caramel, n sugary citrus.
Taste is of the same aromas with a nice caramel n grapefrit combo.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spritzy, citrusy, n balanced.

weeare138, Jul 18, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

APPEARANCE:
Pours a cloudy orange-gold color with a large white frothy head that dissipates relatively slowly. A large amount of sticky lacing.
AROMA:
Comes off as more sweet than bitter. Lemon citrus, doughy malt and herbs.
FLAVOR:
Starts with a malty caramel and then quickly moves on to lemony citrus, apricot and herbs. To me this is very different IIPA. There is a spicy/herby flavor that is hard for me to identify. Closest I can get is a mix between mint and thyme.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium-full bodied beer with a creamy / syrupy texture. Soft carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
A flavorful rich IPA that has a distinctive lemon and herb flavor. The bitterness is not harsh but lingers in your mouth. It is definitely not a session beer.
NOTES: BBCSD-0903-Sean

seanbhudson, Jul 11, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -8%

First review so bare with me haha

A: Mostly clear but slightly foggy deep gold/orange color. Head Is good at first but quickly dwindles down to a small amount of sticky lacing.

S: The aromas are very nice imo, but mostly it is the alcohol aroma coming through, honey and a little fruity. The hops come out as well but more in just a citrus way.

T: After the aroma I had I expectations of alcohol, and they were fulfilled. Very alcohol tasting (sweet), The hop bitterness is not very much but there is a slight amount of grapefruit to it.

M: Very thin and oily in the mouth. Carbonation could be a little higher.

D:Not something I would drink everyday or all night, but If I were eating the appropriate food this would go very well.

HRCam, Jul 06, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Poured out a clear, bubbly, golden-amber color with an off-white, thick, firm, small head. It left behind long trails of lace on the glass.

S - Wonderful grapefruit aromas lead off, followed by bubblegum, citrus and some pine.

T - A nice blend of bubblegum, grapefruit, citrus and roasted caramel malt. It brings some bitter hops and heat, too.

M - It was crisp and very sharp with a dry finish. A full-bodied ale with some serious alcohol heat.

D - This is a very good DIPA. A great blend of sweet and heat.

zeff80, Jul 05, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Double Daddy is, in general, a sweeter version of the regular IPA. I prefer the latter, as it has a bit more of a hop bite...without the major alcohol.

Specifically, this beer has a small head that fizzles out quickly without leaving much lace. The brew is an amber hue. Aromas and tastes both feature bread and yeast. There are some dark fruits (currants and figs) in the flavor, more so than in the aroma. I don't get much else from this one. It is awkwardly sweet for a DIPA...maybe it's been sitting around for too long? I have yet to enjoy a Speakeasy brew that is good enough to write home about.

washburnkid, Jun 23, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured into pint glass from 12 oz. bottle. Frothy white head, hazy orange-straw color.

Smells like a beer strong in alcohol. Maybe hints of orange. Kind of stings the nose a bit.

Wow. Doesn't taste like any beer I've had before... reminds me of some candy that I can't quite place, or... something about it reminds me of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips, although there is nothing chocolately about this beer. A light bitterness, maybe a caramel-like flavor there too -- almost toffee-like, or something. I really can't place it. I swear you'll think I'm crazy but in the finish it really reminds of those chocolate chips, but without the chocolate. Can definitely feel the heat from the alcohol, too. Notsomuch getting anything from the hops, though.

Pretty thick mouthfeel, not too harshly carbonated. Drinkability on this one is low. Won't be going back for another after this one is finished. Don't know that I'd get this one again, in fact.

Overall, I'm confused by this beer. The smell didn't match up with the taste, and the taste to me is just perplexing. Doesn't taste like any beer I've had before. No date, or even a code, anywhere on the single bottle I bought from Wakefield Liquors... could be past its prime? Maybe "Double Down 002" means something, but I can't even find a website for the brewery. I guess I'll never know. Don't think I'll be going back for second try.

JimmieFrisbee, Jun 19, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

!2oz bottle -> american pint
no date

Pours a clouded amber with a fluffy one inch head that recedes slightly but sticks around to the very end. Carbonation appears robust with a constant stream of tiny bubbles on the rise.

Nose: sweet, mild earthy hops, but mostly malts

This baby is a malt bomb, but some hops are present to even it out just enough. Starts sweet and almost syrupy with caramel, bread, and candy dominating before a mild lingering bitterness chases them away. Malt heavy, but not a complete domination. Bitterness really lingers, and leave the palate dry and obliterated.

Drinkability is crazy good for such a high alcohol beer. I feel like i could drink a bunch of these.

Thank to Alusha for paying off her bet @ The Foodery in philly.

beerphan, Jun 07, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

pours a hazy copper color with a ridiculous amount of fluffy white head that stays strong on top of this. a big amount of lacing.

smell is that of a malt bomb. kaboom. some traces of what used to be hops.

taste is overly malty and one sided. not really sure what else could have been here even if it was fresh.

over all i am not impressed. a mediocre beer. I would avoid it in the future.

Mauerhan, May 31, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours like a nice honey color, beige head, 1 finger thick. Smells of heavy sweet caramel creamy malts, a bit of orange citrus. Taste is heavy on the toasty sweet malts, somewhat dry but the finish is all toasted malts. Ok, DIPA, not on my top 20 list.

rmaste6282, May 30, 2009