Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -8%

A: Honey-orange w/lots of sticky head.(I perfer slurpy head =)

S: Malt bomb @ first, then as it warms the hops come out to say hello.

T: Decent. Average. Needs more hops to go with the sweetness.

M: Great considering the ABV. Not even sticky like the malt smell eludes to.

D: Easy Skankin'...right to the jail-cell! Watch your 6 when having more than one of these bad boys! You may have to double-down on the bail money.

Overall: I agree this beer is difficult to profile. As there are so many more formidable I2PA's to be partaken.
I find this one to be floating listless with "paper anchor and lead sails"; however, that's no reason to slam it.
It's tasty and hides that 9.5% well enough to get you incarcerated.
If your on the hunt for a decent I2PA to get "hammered" for around 9bux, you found a winner. However, if your pocket-book is less constricted, go and spend the 20bux on 4 pliny's and enjoy each sip that much more.

ironlung, May 22, 2009

Hard to rate. An enjoyable beer, just doesn't measure up to a lot of other double IPAs.
A: Orange-copper body. Not as much lacing as I'd expect on the head.
S: Floral hops, but not very strong. Some cream and spices as well.
T: The higher gravity comes through, though not in a bad way. Definitely can tell its an imperial, but would have expected the hops to be a lot more up front. Fairly spicy as well.
M: Creamy; good standard feel for a DIPA.
D: Though it comes out a bit in the flavor, still pretty good masking of the 9.5%.

lhaqq, May 21, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

2 - 3 finger head with decent structure tops this beer. Large bubbles in the off white head. The beer has the slightest haze and is orange/amber in color. Just a touch of visible carbonation. spotty lacing.

Aroma is a touch of pine, of ripe pineapple. A touch of alcohol.

Flavor is o.k. A bit focused on the alcohol. Mostly some pine notes and a touch of lemon..(pith) Not a great deal of depth here. The finish is more of alcohol vs. some hop bitterness.

Very little carbonation. Not flat, but almost.Medium body.

Not especially drinkable. Not my favorite DPA...

Reagan1984, May 20, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is goldish orange with a foamy white head. Some nice lacing.

The smell is very hoppy, is quite dry with some alcohol presence. Some piny, floral hop flavor with some citrus hops flavor as well. Some bitterness as well.

The mouth feel is a bit harsh at first. Is medium drinkable but does take a bit to go down. The aftertaste was also a bit harsh but this beer is worth a try.

Duhast500, May 11, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +25%

This one on-tap is much different as it is on the bottle. On tap it is gets hit first by a bitter bite, but then malts kick in -- but not overly sweet malts. It is even good enough that my mother and wife enjoyed it which is strange coming from a hop-head like me.

In the bottle it just tastes funky. But on tap, it is amazing and well worth the visit. I had it at the Yard house and was told that it is their #1 IPA, even beating the likes of Stone. I can see why it would be -- although the bottle version I'd take Stone any day.

But on-tap, you can' go wrong with this one! Recommended on-tap!

Jedimaster1, May 09, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

I got this beer in a trade from washburnkid! Thank you!

I went into this beer without looking at a single review on it, but found myself agreeing on a alot of points here.

It pours a decent color with a small head, good for a DIPA. The smell is malty/ sugar sweet. No bitterness at all. The taste is SWEET like pineapple sweet with a touch of tart in there. Not bitter, tart. It was OK.

As for M: and D: It was ok on the palate but for 9.5% you need to enjoy a beer, and I was just OK with it.

madtowndmb1, Apr 28, 2009

355ml bottle bought from McHughs, Dublin..

Poured a nice golden orange colour. White head poured small but pretty thick then faded to light wispy coating with thickish edging... barely any carbonation... some decent lacing lines...

Aroma - Blast of juicy mouth watering fruits (grapefruits, oranges, limes, apples), lots of strong piney and floral hops, very perfumed, some talcum powder traces, light rubberiness, honey sweetness, some basil herbalness..

Taste - Lots of floral and citrus hop bitterness followed by light sugary sweetness, juicy tart fruits (grapefruits, lemons, pears), light caramel malts and hints of floral honey, some graininess, tobacco hints, chalky, quite herbal, alcohol just noticeable, perfumed, coppery...

M&D - Smooth and creamy with a little sharp bite... medium / full bodied... pretty drinkable for a 9.5% brew

Overall - A pretty good double IPA - full of flavour and very drinkable... recommended...

mdagnew, Apr 27, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice find while at BevMo last week. Initially it made me curious that it was only being sold in 4-packs. A very well crafted IPA, very strong very hoppy, and syrupy. If you are a casual beer drinking this beer is not for. This is for those serious about strong flavored, high ABV, and those who want something different. I hope I can find this beer down by me, I got it while in the desert. The BevMo there was 4 times the size one where I live, there were so many beers there I'd never seen before...Wish I had something good like Double Daddy tonight, tonight I'm stuck with PBR.

noknife83, Apr 25, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The eyes on the label are following me...deep red orange pour with good clarity and a half inch of foam on top that sticks to the side of the glass. Aromas kick off with sweet, caramel background that is overtaken by a cavalcade of earthy, piney, resinous hops. A good deal of honey accents with floral notes as well. Even a bit peppery.

First sip brings sweet malts upfront with caramel and honey accents. Earthy, resinous hops move in with a good deal of pine flavor as well. Peppery bitterness kicks in on the way down but the sweetness still prevails. Lingering hop tones on the back of the palate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good sturdy maltiness that unfortunately leads to a bit too much sweetness overall for me as well. A pretty tasty double IPA but I couldn't drink more than one or possibly two in a sitting.

orbitalr0x, Apr 24, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -52.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into an oversized snifter.

Bright orange body. A finger's worth of bright white head disappears to just a skim pretty quickly, but a smallish head is easily revived with repeated swirlings. Lacing is teased, but the bubbles are slippery/wet and just slide back down into the glass.

What's that weird doughy smell? Not appetizing at all. Candyish sweetness and some floral/herbal notes. Where are the hops? Alcohol is very noticeable.

After tasting, I ask again, where the heck are the hops? Doughy flavor with a bit of a sour tang (maybe it's sourdough!). Lots of sugary sweetness- not big malty sweetness, but like it's spiked with simple syrup. Way too sweet. There is some bitterness (definitely not 'imperial' level), but no real hop presence to speak of. The alcohol is once again very noticeable. A mess of a beer. I made weird faces trying to choke this down.

Lightish body. Could use some more carbonation (although I'd put that last on the list of needed improvements).

Overall impression: Subpar DIPA, damn near a drainpour. Didn't enjoy this one at all and wouldn't buy it again. I doubt it was an old bottle, as the store where I bought it has great turnover. Bad bottle? God, I hope so. Not sure I have the stones to try it again, but if I have a different experience, I'll adjust the review accordingly.

PDXHops, Apr 22, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Tap @ Sierra. Had this and the OA unearthly next to each other. Although I wasn't impressed with the oak aging on the other beer, the hops and full flavor just wasn't coming through on this one. Not too much citrus, seemed a little boozy and unbalanced. It wasn't the worst IIPA i've ever had, but after recently having hop 15 and full throttle I thought this was a bit tame. Not bad, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

Cakanator, Apr 22, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

All in all this is a decent Imperial IPA. The beer would have been tremendously improved had the citrus tones and malt been able to overpower the somewhat hot smell and taste from a 9.5 ABV beer. Try this if your curious and really like high octane beers. You won't find anything truly special but you will still have smartly spent your beer dollars.

HopoPotomus, Apr 20, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -47%

I am normally a huge fan of Double IPA's. Some of my favorites include Imperial Gemini (southern tier), Double Simcoe (weyerbacher), Greenflash Imperial, and Racer 5. But this beer gave me a totally different DIPA taste; it was much to floral and almost perfume-like, i felt like i was drinking Tulip Flowers crushed up and fermented. So if you like citrusy,crisp, piney, and grapefruity tastes in your IPA steer clear of this beer. Not what i expected to say the least.

HopHedz, Apr 17, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

I was kind of fearful to open the bottle with those eyes on the bottle looking at me. So after talking myself into opening the bottle I snuck up on it. Didn't see it coming....

A- Poured into a pint glass. Little quater inch head that went down almost right away (looks like I scared it when I opened it). Little lacing on the sides of the glass. Poured a nice dark orange/copper color kind of hazy and murky.

S- Nice strong floral hop smell from the get go but I noticed when it warms up a little a odd rubbing alcohol smell overpowers everything.

T- Nice healthy hop bite at the tip of my tounge with the first couple drinks. Noticed that the taste went from bitter pleasant hop taste to a overpowering rubbing alcoholish taste as it hit the back of my tounge. (That's what those eyes were trying to tell me!)

M- It seemed a little heavy but not as heavy as most other DIPA's. It wasn't too overpowering and at the same time let you know you had a beer in your mouth.

D- I might have had an off bottle although I still enjoyed it. With an 9.5% ABV I could only drink 2-3 without overdoing myself

alleykatking, Apr 06, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bottle. The beer is a cloudy yellowish tan. About a finger and a half of head and some lacing. The smell is of hops and a hint of citrus.

The taste is very strong on hops that really knocks your socks off followed by the alcohol. Wish there was a little more here but that's pretty much all I got. The mouthfeel was pretty good but this is a beer that I'd only drink one or two of. The alcohol isn't hidden so you can really tell you're getting into something heavy.

iuhoosier336, Apr 02, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer poured a pale, hazy copper color. Roughly a one finger of white head that receded fairly quickly, but left behind so thin lacing. Nose is definitely of fruity hops, orange is the first scent I picked up on, with some mild grapefruit tones mixed in. The nose is rather muted for hops, though they are present. Taste for me just wasn't blended well, grapefruit is the first taste that hits the tongue, and then some orange. There is a breadiness to the taste as well. The mouhfeel is a bit chewy, highly carbonated, medium bodied. Overall, I've had better beers of this style.

Jayli, Mar 13, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -36%

Chilled bottle into a glass

A: Pours a hazy canteloupe orange with an inch of off-white head. Nice carbonation up the center of the glass. The head recedes into a collar around the drink and leaves lacing down the glass.

S: I had two bottles of this. One smelled like this: grapefruit and pine hops, with light touches of floral hops and caramel malt. The other bottle had the same makeup but a strong metallic and boozy component. There is some significant bottle variation here.

T: Consists of very strong caramel malt with a lighter balance of grapefruit and piney hops entering the mid-taste. The finish is a lingering floral hop bitterness. The metallic-smelling bottle also had a slight coppery aftertaste. I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but I have to admit it doesn't really represent the IIPA style well.

M: Medium carbonation, with medium body. Good coating and a moderate stickiness.

D: Again, I really liked the flavor of the on-bottle, but my experience with the off-bottle leads me to think there's some huge quality control issue. It's an ok beer, but I don't buy it anymore because I never know what I'm getting.

Arbitrator, Mar 12, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours hazy orange with a rocky white head that fades but laces. Nose is very sweet candied orange with some spice. Cakey malts with some clove and, as another review said, cantaloupe. Cut by piney, mulchy hops that fade into an alcohol burn at the end. Moderate feel with some creaminess.

Interesting malt flavors start to happen but then get stomped on. Even a DIPA shouldn't have more hotness than hoppiness. Needs better balance, smoother finish.

StJamesGate, Mar 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Only bottling info is the bottle says Double Down 002. Comes in at 9.50%.

A-Pours a cloudy yellow/brown with a one finger head that goes away fast. Lots of yeast pieces swirling around in the glass. Nice lacing is left.

S-A ton of citrus, in this case sweet orange. There is also a tad bit of mustiness coming out.

T-Citrus, spoecifically orange peel and apricot come in after an initial blast from sweet malt. Some grassiness comes in on the back.

M-Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation. Not the bitterness I am looking for with a DIPA.

D-Would prefer more hops, less sweet malt. Not nearly as boozy as previous bottles that I have consumed.

I have tried this beer on a few occasions and felt this may have been the best/freshest batch. The alcohol burn that I have always associated with this beer has been tamed. I would like to see the sweetness muted and the hop bite kicked up.

mjl21, Mar 06, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Pours yellow-orange with just a touch of head.

S: Sweet, some hops, but I just cant get past the sweet fruitiness. Small bit of malt.

T: Hoppy and bitter, piney, sweet fruit, melon, then bitter again. Still sweet again, too sweet.

M: Kind of strange. Smooth but cloying.

D: One and done. Not really enjoying this one.

mfhlucky13, Mar 03, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -19%

Everything about this beer screams cantaloupe. The color is cantaloupe, the smell is cantaloupe, the taste is watery cantaloupe and candy sweetness, and the mouth feel is like a slightly watered down juice made with, hum, cantaloupe. If this is your favorite fruit, meet your new favorite beer. Down the drain.

BarrytheBear, Feb 27, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a bronze hue, with a fluffy eggshell colored head. Left alot of clingy foam the whole way down.

Smell was all hops with floral and grassy hops being the most evident. Also a slightly sweet smell in there.

Taste was all hops and very dry. Grassy and piney. Taste doesn't linger. Slight alcohol presence as it goes down.

Felt thin on the palate. The alcohol is definately there and makes itself known.

snpub540, Feb 25, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a clear pale orange color with a small less than 1 finger deep off white head.

Aroma of light citrus hops, pine, grassy, some booze, faint caramel.

The taste here is hoppy & bitter, but not alot of the aromas from the nose come through. Sort of a vegetable like taste going on. Still some pine, citrus, and big boozy flavor.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin I'd say.

Couldn't say I could have another. I typically like beers from Speakeasy. This was a miss for me.

bbothen, Feb 24, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -19%

Single bottle from Total Wine, on to the beer:

The head is slightly creamy, but fuzzy and low on top this hazy, iced tea colored beer. Only a hair of lacing on the glass. Lighter, paler orange with some hues of yellow, darker orange in some places. The aroma is very sweet, like caramel. Super sweet caramel, herbal notes, no major hops to speak of. I'm not a big fan of it.

The taste isn't in your face, it's quite mellow. Still, it's too sweet. Peppermint-like spice, mixed with faded hops. Carmelized pinneapple comes to mind. Herbal and somewhat dirty in the mouth. Solvent alcohol burns down the throat.

Could this be an older bottle? It seems like it. I might retry later, but choosing between this and its little borther, I'll be happy with Big Daddy.

DoubleJ, Feb 15, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Being in love with DIPAs, this beer struck me oddly. Let me explain

The appearance wasnt bad, although its a little lighter in color that I'm used to, not necessarily a bad thing. Its a light amber color that yielded a good head with lots of retention and lacing.

The smell is very malty with some hops in there accompanied by some alcohol.

The taste is where this beer lost me (no big deal right? lol). God there is just NOT enough hops presence here! Its very malty, to the point of being unbalanced. I need more hops man! Basically all I taste is malts and alcohol with a tiiiiny touch of hops, you gotta search for it though.

The mouthfeel is awkward. I'm not sure how to describe it but I'll try. The malts kind of throws me off here. Maybe its the strange malts + alcohol combo that leaves a strange aftertaste. Its like alcohol first, malts second and then very late to the party is a midget hops character.

Not drinkable, I'll be honest. I hate being critical of any DIPA... but man..this is just not exceptional..and barely average.. actually.. not average.. I don't like this beer.

Wont be buying again, wouldn't recommend to any IPA lover.

xxHelderxx, Feb 15, 2009