Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

3.99 for a 22! Pretty good. Though I'm not a fan of the screen printed bottles.

Pours a clear, light copper with no haze. Thick, white, 1" foamy head that leaves a nice cap and lacing.

Big toasted/biscuit malts on the nose with a dank resiny aroma from the hops. The yeast plays a big estery role with some spice and fruitiness. Really nice.

Super hop forward, balanced malts, lingering sweetness and some astringent bitterness. Toasted malts come out with and play nicely with the pepper yeast notes and floral hops.

Feels very dry even though it drinks sweet. Not thin. Very effervescent. A little sting from the hops.

Not a bad DIPA, but not great. In a market flooded with this style there are plenty I would prefer.

JCarey, Apr 09, 2014

Beermasterjarrett, Feb 23, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

hiphopj5, Feb 21, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to my Aunt Tracy for this bottle, enjoyed chilled in a tulip shared the 22oz with tenderbranson69.

The color is dark copper with mild haze and thick white cap with very fine bead. Lace sticks in a thick pattern on the glass. The smell i strong with fruity yeast ester and light toasted malt with a piney hop aroma and light citrus accent, low alcohol in the overall smell. The feel is good with dry malt body and spice with medium carbonation and resinous texture with sweet middle and mild alcohol with fruity tangy yeast and dry finish.

The flavor is very dank with fruity and floral flavors from the yeast and hops with slight spice and pine flavor with moderate bitterness and warming alcohol as it finishes. The hops have a subtle herbal accent with grassy flavor and peppery bitterness. Overall a decent Imperial IPA, not my first choice but pretty drinkable and I was certainly grateful for this -not as fresh tasting hop wise, however I would say try this if you like West coast Ipa's.

Slatetank, Feb 20, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

blameo, Feb 12, 2014

GraduatedCashew, Feb 03, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of fluffy foam. Quite aromatic, with piney and aspirin like hop aromas filling the room. Nice lacing.

First sip has a sharp hoppy bitter bite. The hop flavor is certainly present but not entirely enjoyable... almost too vegetal for my tastes. There is a lot of malty sweetness, but the hops provide the dominant flavors.

All in all, not my favorite IIPA. A bit to harsh, this beer could use a retooling of the hop balance.

FickleBeast, Jan 25, 2014

RWACKO, Jan 23, 2014

jaydoc, Jan 23, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

I have been recently inspired to review as many of the Speakeasy family of beers as possible, all the while imagining that I have been transported back in time to the Prohibition era in the United States. When I left off, I had been dallying with both Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and his brother, Double Daddy, respectively.

From the bottle: "San Francisco born & brewed"; "Doubling down on malt and hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. With its good looks and no-limit style, Double Daddy takes the pot every time."; "Legit since 1997"; "Independently owned & operated".

Where Big Daddy got his Swiss mother's blonde hair and skin tone, his older brother, Double Daddy looked like he was straight out of downtown Palermo by comparison. He bade me sit down and he shuffled the cards as I poured. His eyebrows raised in a rare show of any kind of emotion as the head came right to the top of the glass before beginning to settle. The end result was two dense, rocky fingers of tawny head with great retention. Double Daddy lowered his head to signify that he wanted me to cut the cards while we waited. Double Daddy is a man of few words, preferring to let his deep-amber color (SRM = > 9, < 13) with its NE-quality clarity speak for itself. I always default to Double Daddy as holding the King of Hearts, since that is how he fancies himself. I will grant you that he is better to Tallulah than Big Daddy is to Scarlett, but he must be lacking something for her to be stepping out with me. Damned if I know what it is though, as the nose smells like a pine forest on a winter's day - cool, minty and resinous. I took my first draught and he reached over, prised my mouth open, pulled out my tongue and began beating it insensate! Jeez-O, man, this was one no-playing-around beer. The hops were unrelenting, beating and scrubbing at my poor, bruised tongue, leaving no question that it was a DIPA in my glass. Double Daddy stopped, reached up and removed his cigar from his mouth and asked, "Yer call. Ya wanna raise, check, or fold?" I suddenly realized that the smart play would be to fold and get the hell outta town, leaving him and his equally psycho brother and their women in my wake. Nobody ever accused me of being smart, so I raised and sat back, eyes watering. "Why are you still here?" asked Double Daddy, doubling down so that my next move would be all-in. "I like it here, Double Daddy," I replied. "People treat me real nice, plus I'm making some decent bank doing this 'n' 'at, here 'n' 'ere." He nodded and then asked a question that chilled me to my core, "Aincha afraid that one of those many twists that yer seein' is gonna blab, either to one of their own or to their old man?" I raised my glass as a toast, unable to speak as my throat was constricted tighter than the feather boa Scarlett wore last night. Double Daddy snorted and I pushed all of my chips to the center of the table. He placed his hand on the table with a big grin, two pair, including the King of Hearts and its partner, the King of Diamonds, fitting since he always sported a big diamond on his right pinky. His smile quickly faded like the rest of the beer in my glass when I revealed a Full House, all Spades. He spat out his stogie, threw a wad of bills at me and told me to get out. I did, but the bitterness he had produced was going to stay with me for a while.

#akashicbooks.com

My original bottle review, dtd 03-25-2007 follows:

I had some of this on tap last night at Arena B & G in Wilkes-Barre and it was deeelishus! Knowing that I had a bottle in my refrigerator at home, I decided to make it my first beer upon my return.

It poured with two fingers' worth of an eggshell-white head. The head also produced some great sticky lacing from top to bottom in the glass. The beer's color was a slightly hazy deep-amber. The nose was huge with hops - wet, floral, spicy, citrusy, just mouthwatering. The mouthfeel was full and almost thick. The taste was very hoppy from the outset to the finish, but it was not as sharp as what I had on tap last night. That is why I prefer to review tap beers, vice out of a bottle - draft is as fresh as it can be. Even so, I can envision myself cracking open another bottle of this in conjunction with some bleu cheese and crusty bread. Imps and Dubs be damned - however you classify it and whatever you call it, this is a really good beer.

woodychandler, Jan 22, 2014