Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Very nice silk screened bottle. So nice, I'm hanging onto it for decoration.

Clear, peach colored beer.

Mountainous, two finger, white head that slowly withered over the time of consumption but never disappeared.

Piney citrus hops in the nose.

Salty, piney, tangy hops balanced by a bready, malty backbone.

This is a very well balanced beer and a session one at that.

Try it, Mikey, you'll like it.

ggroller, Oct 28, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

makasi, Mar 22, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a light brownish-orange, white thin head fading with lacing.

Ahh, aroma is hops, hops and malt. Oh and some breadiness too... mmm double IPA.

Wow, maybe it;s because this is my fifth IPA of the evening, but this thing seems exceptionally smooth for a doube IPA that's almost a double digit alc%. Tasty...

ReebShorts, Feb 23, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured a cloudy copper color with an inch of beige head. Pretty good lacing as well.

Smell is nice and hoppy and full of citrus aroma.

Taste is fantastic. Plenty of hop flavor throughout. Great tasting beer!

Mouthfeel is light-medium. Goes down nice and smooth.

Overall a really great beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd really like to drink some more of this. Someday hopefully.

richkrull, Oct 26, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

ah, the beer that started it all for me... let's see if it still stacks up:

12. oz. bottle to chalice

A - Clear, ice-tea colored body with 1 fingered head, sinking to a staying ring around the top of the beer and thin lacing.

S - Fruity, hoppy smell, with notes of dried apricots and mangos. biscuity maltiness as well. alcohol makes an cameo too.

T - Oh wow, just a juicy as i remembered. Fresh burst of hops bitterness and a great, almost savory finish.

M - Starts thin and, then after the swallow, gets a bit syrupy.

D - Still love this beer, and, surpisingly easy to session, concidering the high ABV.

isaac, Jan 03, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured this beer in a pint glass to reveal a nice light amber color, a tad lighter than most Imperial IPAs. Nice head that lasted for about a quarter of the beer, leaving a little lace on the side of the glass.

The smell was a nice hoppy floral scent that was a fairly strong. Taste was great nice big hoppy flavor, that was balance very well with the malt concidering that this is a Imperial IPA. Mouthfeel was almost perfect, maybe just a little thin, but nothing to complain about.

All in all a great beer and totally worth a try. I would be willing to pay more and get a 6-pack instead of the four pack.

BradBLR, May 03, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a botte into a chalice glass.

As always with Speakeasy, the appearance is stunning. Incredible crimson gold with a small foamy head that sticks around. Beautiful.

Smells like a standard IPA. Doesn't blow your hair back like some of the hoppier DIPAs I've had.

Very buttery taste, again, with typical IPA balance.

Feels perfect on the tongue. Nothing else to say.

Overall I went with a 4 rating because I feel a DIPA should knock you out a little more. That said, this is a delicious beer. Go out and get some.

jimilayne, Nov 11, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

I'm surprised to see that this is rated higher, I drank a Pliny the Elder a few nights ago and this is on that level, or so I think.

A- Cloudy unfiltered dark golden color. Little foam, average lacing.

S- Grapefruit smell right away with some pine. Hops kicks in after wards.

T- Smooth tasting, but definitely a hint that its a imperial IPA. Hoppy sweet taste with citrus backgrounds. Malty caramel taste for a finish.

M- Good carbonation, medium body, overall good mouth feel.

D- Very easy to drink, smooth but this one can creep up on you.

HopHooligan, Mar 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

I have been recently inspired to review as many of the Speakeasy family of beers as possible, all the while imagining that I have been transported back in time to the Prohibition era in the United States. When I left off, I had been dallying with both Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and his brother, Double Daddy, respectively.

From the bottle: "San Francisco born & brewed"; "Doubling down on malt and hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. With its good looks and no-limit style, Double Daddy takes the pot every time."; "Legit since 1997"; "Independently owned & operated".

Where Big Daddy got his Swiss mother's blonde hair and skin tone, his older brother, Double Daddy looked like he was straight out of downtown Palermo by comparison. He bade me sit down and he shuffled the cards as I poured. His eyebrows raised in a rare show of any kind of emotion as the head came right to the top of the glass before beginning to settle. The end result was two dense, rocky fingers of tawny head with great retention. Double Daddy lowered his head to signify that he wanted me to cut the cards while we waited. Double Daddy is a man of few words, preferring to let his deep-amber color (SRM = > 9, < 13) with its NE-quality clarity speak for itself. I always default to Double Daddy as holding the King of Hearts, since that is how he fancies himself. I will grant you that he is better to Tallulah than Big Daddy is to Scarlett, but he must be lacking something for her to be stepping out with me. Damned if I know what it is though, as the nose smells like a pine forest on a winter's day - cool, minty and resinous. I took my first draught and he reached over, prised my mouth open, pulled out my tongue and began beating it insensate! Jeez-O, man, this was one no-playing-around beer. The hops were unrelenting, beating and scrubbing at my poor, bruised tongue, leaving no question that it was a DIPA in my glass. Double Daddy stopped, reached up and removed his cigar from his mouth and asked, "Yer call. Ya wanna raise, check, or fold?" I suddenly realized that the smart play would be to fold and get the hell outta town, leaving him and his equally psycho brother and their women in my wake. Nobody ever accused me of being smart, so I raised and sat back, eyes watering. "Why are you still here?" asked Double Daddy, doubling down so that my next move would be all-in. "I like it here, Double Daddy," I replied. "People treat me real nice, plus I'm making some decent bank doing this 'n' 'at, here 'n' 'ere." He nodded and then asked a question that chilled me to my core, "Aincha afraid that one of those many twists that yer seein' is gonna blab, either to one of their own or to their old man?" I raised my glass as a toast, unable to speak as my throat was constricted tighter than the feather boa Scarlett wore last night. Double Daddy snorted and I pushed all of my chips to the center of the table. He placed his hand on the table with a big grin, two pair, including the King of Hearts and its partner, the King of Diamonds, fitting since he always sported a big diamond on his right pinky. His smile quickly faded like the rest of the beer in my glass when I revealed a Full House, all Spades. He spat out his stogie, threw a wad of bills at me and told me to get out. I did, but the bitterness he had produced was going to stay with me for a while.

#akashicbooks.com

My original bottle review, dtd 03-25-2007 follows:

I had some of this on tap last night at Arena B & G in Wilkes-Barre and it was deeelishus! Knowing that I had a bottle in my refrigerator at home, I decided to make it my first beer upon my return.

It poured with two fingers' worth of an eggshell-white head. The head also produced some great sticky lacing from top to bottom in the glass. The beer's color was a slightly hazy deep-amber. The nose was huge with hops - wet, floral, spicy, citrusy, just mouthwatering. The mouthfeel was full and almost thick. The taste was very hoppy from the outset to the finish, but it was not as sharp as what I had on tap last night. That is why I prefer to review tap beers, vice out of a bottle - draft is as fresh as it can be. Even so, I can envision myself cracking open another bottle of this in conjunction with some bleu cheese and crusty bread. Imps and Dubs be damned - however you classify it and whatever you call it, this is a really good beer.

woodychandler, Jan 22, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Dark golden color with a good head.

This beer is powerful, both the aroma and taste. However, even though you obviously taste that it's a double and a 9.5 abv, it's still delicious. Great example of the style, and despite the high alcohol, actually a very refreshing beer.

Nice mouthfeel, as you certainly know what you're drinking, but not overpowering. Crisp and hoppy, I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Big fan of this one, and definitely will look out for.

diddly, Aug 05, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Picked this up in Sheil's Dorset Street Dublin. Only €2.39 a bottle, pretty sweet deal.

Ale pours a lovely light amber/yellow colour with a big white creamy head that settles to an inch against the glass and retains well.

Fantastic aroma from this IPA. Lots of sweet caramel and honey fragrances with some malty and slightly citrus notes.

Taste is sweet up front with malts and caramel to the fore followed by a serious whack of alcohol and a slightly spicey finish that warms beautifully.

Mouthfeel is quite full due to the carbonation and extremely dry to finish.

Given the 9.5% abv, this is hardly a session IPA but there's no doubt it goes down fantastically well and I'm a big fan of a few of these guys on a cool autumn evening.

Ruaidhri, Oct 05, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +19%

I had this after work the other night. It was so refreshing.

Appearance- golden color, nice head, nice lacing

Smell- hops

Taste- refreshing hops, not terribly hoppy but very refreshing

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This was very nice. I loved it. Very refreshing. It hit the spot.

jeffjeff1, Aug 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +19%

See this beer in bottles all the time in the city, had to have it on tap.

Pours a beautiful bronze orange sandwiched with lemon highlights.

Floral, hoppy, alcohol smell to it up front. Deep penetrating smell.

Has a deep malt, biting hops, and alcohol finish to it.

Dizzying aftertaste of hops and alcohol. Speakseasy, and Drinkseasy.

Murchmac, Oct 19, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Hazy yellow-gold body, topped by a thick slab of creamy white froth. Good lacing.

Pleasing, inviting nose of citrus, heavy on the grapefruit.

Nice malty start that throws down a landing pad so the hop assault has something to build on. The opening burst of sweetness is strong enough to register before giving way to a delightfully bitter and fruity bite in the back of the throat. Traces of hops linger long after.

Good medium mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

A well structured Imperial IPA which hides its alcohol and gives you some malt along with big hops. Recommended.

Nice when fresh Speakeasy makes it way to NJ/PA. This sample was only four months old.

RonfromJersey, Apr 04, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Bottle Pours a hazy amber with a good creamy white head, which is mostly lasting and produces good lacing. A very hoppy aroma of spruce and pine. With a touch of herbs and a pepper base. Has an oily texture with a great mouthfeel. Carbonation is really good. A very clean crisp taste. Has a wonderful duration. A great bitter finish. A great tasting IPA. Definately an upper tier IPA. I would highly recommend this one.

Birdiebeagle, Mar 16, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +19%

Speakeasy double daddy (DIPA) poured into a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale glass. Pours a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-esk golden color. The carbonation is fairly low but I have this a little too cold (around 45 Degrees).

The aroma is fruity banana ester with big alcohol and at 9.5%ABV its understandable that this beer smells a bit of alcohol.

The taste is big, malty, and very hoppy. This beer is very similar to the DFH 90 minute DIPA.

I don't know why this beer doesn't get higher reviews. I loved it. Maybe people are not taking into account that this is an imperial IPA and not a regular IPA. Expect this to be somewhat an extreme beer. Don't expect this to be like a Bell's Two Hearted Ale or a Dale's Pale Ale. This is hopped, dry hopped, and pumped with mass amounts of alcohol. Good luck and hoppy drinking!

PerzentRizen, Sep 08, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz bottle courtesy of WasTriekensie. A beautiful golden honey with orange hues. Very clear. A full two fingered head and streaks of lace as I consume. A thin covering of foam protects the precious liquid as gentle carbonation appears now and then.

Smell is deep hop oil and pine. A blast of florals and a hint of bourbon like malt, light alcohol. More hop citrus and a a peek-a-boo of toasted sugar/ caramel.

Taste is more of the nose,, hoppy with big malts and a biscuit like presence in the finish. No bourbon but instead a bold yet subtle malt body and yes, grains, crackers and other breads with a big hop finish yielding to the aformentioned biscuits. Yum

Mouthfeel is creamy and lightly effervescent. Medium light weight lend itself to hot weather consumption with grilled foods outside.

Way too drinkable for a 9.5 abv. Easy to quaff not so easy to walk. Great stuff

scootny, Jul 10, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Thin half inch head that's eggshell white and quickly falls to thin spotty clumps on top of the light copper/ruby liquid. There's very thin spotty liquid that is a little less than thrilling.

Somewhat fruity citrus hop aroma which quickly gives way to some alcohol and a slightly sour malt taste (perhaps a rye note?).

Very fruity sweet hop taste with a very sweet toasty spicy sour rye like maltiness. There's also some spicy alcohol to it and has wonderful medium body. Very drinkable DIPA. A wonderful beer, really. This one almost has a barleywine taste and feel to it. Great, really.

Many thanks to Boolshot for this one.

timtheenchanta, Oct 09, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

pours a golden orangish hue with a haze. Poued rather easy to not disturb the sediment. Small head resulted.
Nose is big hops earthy and grainy with an alcoholic hint as well. Malts peircing through the edges.
Very big on taste as well. Thick, bitter and floral hops blasting the palate with a moderate balance of malts. The hops are so powerfull it tends to outpoint the malt. Alchohol burn as this one lingers.

dmamiano, Jul 05, 2008