Betrayal Imperial Red - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010

Ratings: 134 | Reviews: 52
Reviews by arizcards:
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a bomber from BevMo in early November for $5.99. Bottled in 2013.

Beer poured reddish brown with a beautiful tan head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is toasted malts and citrus hops.

Taste is toasted caramel malts, citrus, pine. Pretty well balanced but the pine resin lingers in the end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall this is nicely made double red. Its got the big malt base going and the big hop bite that one would expect from this style. I have not had a brew from Speakeasy in a long time. They left Arizona for awhile but came back this past fall. Nice to see them back and i look forward to the next one!

3.44/5  rDev -9.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark ruby amber with a big creamy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet caramel and toffee nutty malts with some leafy hops.

The flavor is sweet caramel, toffee and chocolate malts, some nuttiness and some grassy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit thin and watery.

Overall, a nicely balanced red.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

My tasting is coming from a 22 oz bottle I recently got at BevMo. It has a nice caramel color with a slight head. The smell is very malt heavy --- I can’t pick up anything else. It is a nice tasting beer that is very malty, creamy and smooth with very little aftertaste. I’m picking up a little bitterness and hints of vanilla. It’s a very solid beer, but it doesn’t seem to capture the essence of red ale for me --- as if focusing on the “imperial” (8.2% ABV) was more important than retaining the red ale experience.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

16 ounce pour from the growler station at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY.

A- Dark and near glowing orangy amber. Clear under a dark khaki dense and lasting 1/3 inch head. Leaves fine lace up top, frothy light sheeting and better then average fine patterns of lacing.

S- nose seems somehow muted, could be a stuffy nose...I just get some light malts.

T- Flavorful and quite worthy/sturdy brew, nice layers of malt, caramel, some light rye, spicy alcohol infused dark honey. Malted up and moderately complex brew.

D- Yes, I'd want to drink this over and over again...so good "drinkability"

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear dark reddish brown with a small off white head. The head leaves a lot of lacing on the glass with a ring on top. It's got a medium mouthfeel and goes down rather easy. It's a good imperial red, but doesn't cover the excess alcohol as much as I would have liked. A definite add to my list though.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Light brown and light red appearance, good head, another quality looker from Speakeasy. Mild aroma of toastiness and hops, a little nuttiness to it.

Great taste, smooth, still kept a hop mouthfeel, but stayed away from just making a super bitter nugget hopped red or something along those lines. Rich, toffee, even vanilla. A little bit of citrus as well.

Very good mouthfeel, alcohol not noticeable at all. All those nuances. Great balance, hoppy, yet not bitter, smooth, not high alcohol, a little bit of everything.

Where did BA get 5.9% for this? Says 8.2% on the bottle. Maybe because it tastes like 5.9%?

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a very rich, dark amber, 1/4" head.

Smell: Quite hoppy, lots of caramel notes at the beginning.

Taste: Again, hops are prevalent at the front, with a slight caramel and piney finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect level of carbonation (just my opinion). Doesn't leave the mouth feeling malty, just a smooth beer.

Overall: One of my favorite red's I've tried so far, it's the type of beer that makes me want to keep drinking it. I always enjoy this beer, it is definitely a treat.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark amber pour with a tan foam head. Active carbonation. Lacing is rings on the glass.

S - Scents of caramel and rich malt.

T - Rich malty beer that has some sweetness but is essentially a malt bomb.

M - Rich beer that finishes with a raspy feel. Perfect pair with BBQ. Strong flavors stay in the palate.

O - I'd have this again. Surprised how good this is was. A solid amber from a brewery that for some reason I haven't had enough from as of yet.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Not being a huge fan of Amber Ales, I do get a bit curious when they get Imperial on me, especially if they kick it up in the hop department so we'll see how this one fairs. I hope I won't get betrayed.

Poured form an etched bomber into a wine glass/globe. A touch soft spoken on the pop of the cap at 45 degrees, the beer nonetheless pours with a frothy inch of light tan foam. Largely clear and a crimson/ruby in the light, appearing a deep amber otherwise. Offers good retention and classy lacing.

Aroma of caramel malts, touch of dark fruits and a moderate piney hop sense. Bit too malt forward for my tastes for the style within a style. This one weighing in at 8.2% not the 5.9% noted here.

Flavor matches the nose. Malty with caramel notes and a light cherry touch. More caramel and a bit of subdued milk chocolate on the finish.

A bit sweet and almost overbearing. Try this one with grilled meat or sloppy BBQ for a good balance. Rather lightly hopped and slightly askew overall for the ABV, otherwise intriguing and fairly well done.

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a stemware glass.

Got a perfect head of creamy bubbles that dissipated to good lacing. Color is dark ruby-red.

Smell is not pronounced, average.

Taste is a near perfect balance of sweet, sour, and bitter. Some floral, but more wood notes.

Mouthfeel is the best; very creamy almost like a stout.

Overall, a fine example of an Imperial Red, which is one of my favorite styles.
(This mean the Amber Ale / Red Ale designation is incorrect.)

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

A: deep mahogany, tan head - I poured it into a frosted tulip glass and saw a lot of the head lacing to the sides

S: mild; hop and malt aromas

T: wasn't sure what to expect in an imperial red ale - never even had a red ale - and it reminded me of Double Bastard and Devil Dancer - it has an almost food-y taste - meaty, if you will, with the malts and hops present and balanced; lots of flavors meld together - may be too bold for some, but it was right up my alley

M: filling, solid, "chewy" beer - medium body; leaves a savory aftertaste on the tongue

O: very pleased - would buy this beer again; strength was good, making it drinkable and worthwhile abv-wise

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a dark russet amber with a nice two finger light brown head with good retention and massive lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, piney hops, chocolate and an interesting estery component I can't identify. Flavor is dominated by pine and citrus hops, developing into caramel malt and finally to grassy, piney hop bitterness. Hints of chocolate and toasted malt. Very nice creamy, medium body. A different red ale with an interesting flavor progression; very hop forward, but supported by the caramel and toasty malt. Nicely done. My first introduction to Speakeasy and now certainly not my last.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

I got this from my wife. She picked it up at her work.

Appearance- dark reddish color, thin head

Smell- piney hops, sweet and bitter smell, very nice

Taste- balance of sweet and bitter, piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was very good. I would buy it again.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is clear dark reddish amber in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high dark beige head that has good retention properties and consistently left a short dense head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of alcohol and caramel malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of caramel malts and pine resin hops along with hints of alcohol. It has a moderate amount of bitterness that particularly lingers through the finish.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied and relatively crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. Hints of warming from the alcohol are perceptible.
O: This is a rather bold imperial amber ale, but the smell and taste of alcohol is somewhat of a turnoff.

Thanks to Alucard4 for this one

Look: Dark mahogany color with a 1/4 inch tan head and ok retention

Smell: Piney and citrus hops upfront with some malt sweetness

Taste: Very piney resiny flavor backed up with a nice caramel back bone

Mouthfeel: Medium body and ample carbonation

Overall: A decent example of the style. For me this was a bit of a one way street and pretty uninteresting to drink.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

I had a twelve ounce draft of this at the Ginger Man in Manhattan's mid town. I was told that it was an imperial but, in any case, I liked it a lot. The color was a deep amber or red with a light colored head and interesting aroma. Speakeasy makes great ipas but I haven't been crazy about their other brands. This one, however, was quite good.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Have the bottled version. The bottle says 8.2% Alc/Vol.

Reddish brown colored ale with some chill haze evident. Small tan colored head.

Smell is sweet and full of roasted malt. Fairly strong German chocolate cake aroma. Chocolate coconut and caramel are quite strong. Strong hop scent mostly it is mint and menthol.

Starts out sweet and bitter with some chocolate and coffee flavor. Bittersweet is the one word that describes the taste. Slight savory flavor here but not to the point of soy sauce. Besides the chocolate and coffee there isn't much other flavor here.

Mouthfeel is good and fairly thick.

Overall this is pretty tasty but not super-outstanding.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Rattle N Hum in New York, NY

A: Pours a clear dark garnet red to amber in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some amber + orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall dark beige head that slowly reduces to medium patch of thick film, some very thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface, and a thin ring at the edges of the glass.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts with light amounts of alcohol.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts with a light amount of sweetness. That is followed by some lighter pine hops and hints of alcohol. Light to moderate amounts of bitterness which lingers for a short while.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp with some alcohol warming in the finish.

O: This one is a little too boozy for me, the alcohol is just much too present int he is beer. The presence of the alcohol makes this one tough to drink and not as enjoyable as I might have hoped.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Churchkey yesterday. Served in a mini-snifter.

Pours a dark copper color with a thin light tan head and some spotty lacing. Thin collar throughout. The nose brings forward some heavy pine and a bit of toasted malt. The flavor brings a heavy dose of pine and some slight citrus along with some amber malt sweetness. The two don't complement each other as well as I would have liked. Sweetness isn't nearly as prevalent in the feel, which is heavily bitter and slightly chewy. Solid beer.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

I was at my local speak, The Fridge, and Erin was working the stick this particular evening. She passed it across to me in a tulip glass and I went back to my table to contemplate where it had all gone so horribly wrong. I knew that I had been playing with fire of late, indulging in dalliances with Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and Double Daddy, respectively. Word on the street was that there had been some sort of Betrayal and like a calendar, my days were numbered. This was the era of Prohibition and I was reading "Chicago Noir" for inspiration.

A finger of deep-tan/light-brown head sat atop this gem, slowly fading into the same obscurity that seemed to be my future. Color was a a deep-copper, reddish, but not quite ruby-red (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality and I was suddenly wishing myself in Omaha or Lincoln, anywhere but San Francisco or Chicago. Nose was redolent with pine hops underlain with a pleasant malty sweetness. My first sip filled my mouth with a bubbliness that rendered it almost creamy, but not quite. This was followed by a burst of pine hops and then a wash of malt in a one-two sequence that left me reeling. Suddenly, one of the co-owners, Futty, braced me just as the bulls burst through the door! I reached for my chatterbox, aka my trusty, ever-present Thompson, but I was too slow and they were too quick and kicked it out of my reach before I could clear it from my bag. I was prepared, however, and snatched the cyanide cap out of my faux signet ring, popped it in my yap and washed it down with some more Betrayal. I'll be damned if I'll let them take me alive! This was just the way to go - drinking a beer. Finish was minty-cool, initially, followed by a caramel sweetness that stuck with me into my grave. The only remaining question, other than how will they get the sticky lacing out of the glass, is "Who inna f**king hell Betrayed me?!?" At least, I went out happy.

Remember kids, beer and noir do NOT mix!

#akashicbooks

A: The pour is a nice amber color with a tan head.

S: Quite a nice caramel malt backbone to the beer with a hint of bread and piney hops. Not much citrus, but a good balance of malt and hops.

T: The balance continues in the flavor. Again, a good sweet base with some hops and bready malt to prevent the beer from being overly sweet. A bit of piney and bitter hops on the finish.

M: The body is medium with a middle of the road level of carbonation.

D: A pretty nice beer. Not my favorite red ale, but good flavors and balance that I don't find any major faults or problems with.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice Red Ale. Not an overly sweet, mild boring one. Pours a hazy red color with a lot of light coming through. Small white head with worse than aerage retention. Some lacing. Spell ispiney hops and caramel malts. Fairly strong. Tastes good. Strong piney hops presence balanced by a strong caramel malt presence. Kind of like a barleywine lite. Very impressive for a red ale.

Mouthfeel is crisp. I assumed it was 5.9% but if this is an 8% beer, it is very smooth with no hint of the alcohol level.

A good Red Ale, I would drink this again.

4.36/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A: Excellent dark red color. Very bright and enticing. Nice head. Good lacing.

S: Whoa! Good amount of hops and caramel. A bit of alcohol on the nose.

T: Deep malt flavor that I really enjoy. Definitely hoppy for a red ale. A hint of an alcohol burn on the finsh. This is a very deep, complex, and wonderful taste.

M: Medium to thick body. Good carbonation.

O: excellent limited release that I hope will be released again and again. I will pick this up and order it, wherever I can find it.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Dark amber color with a thin cream colored head.

S: Caramel, oak and some citrus hops.

T: Tons and tons of oak here along with caramel and a hint of dark chocolate. Overall, pretty messy tasting and way too oaky for me. I would not have this one again.

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Clear, ruby amber color in the New Belgium snifter. Big foamy head with a pleasant mouth-filling sudsiness. Big aroma of that fruity mango hop.

A sweet maltiness greets the lips, followed by a boar-load of hops. Qite bitter initially and long into the aftertaste. Quite acidic along with the fruit. A little dank but mostly pineapple, pear skins, and mango. Big dark roasted malt flavors dominate the rest of the story. An interesting variation on the Imperial Red that should please the hop lover. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Beach Front Liquor in San Clemente.

Betrayal Imperial Red from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers