Betrayal Imperial Red - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

I got this from my wife. She picked it up at her work.

Appearance- dark reddish color, thin head

Smell- piney hops, sweet and bitter smell, very nice

Taste- balance of sweet and bitter, piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was very good. I would buy it again.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a deep ruby red against the light, almost brown in ambient light with one finger head and good lacing from beginning to end. Sweet malt in the nose up front, mixed with earthy, slightly tangy hops. Taste is, in a word, chocolaty. Some burnt caramel notes give way to bitter hops with the chocolate lingering throughout. The mouthfeel is very nice and balanced.

For such a big beer, this is very delicate. Delicate in the way it's balanced, that is. It could have easily been too malty and felt like a brown, but the alcohol content and hop presence prevents the malt from taking over. The burnt caramel and dark chocolate dominating the palate make this an uncomplex beer, but those are the ones I love. The balance actually makes this a bit of a dangerous beer, when you consider the ABV. Speakeasy didn't reach too far for this beer and instead made a palatable, easy to enjoy beer. Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

I was at my local speak, The Fridge, and Erin was working the stick this particular evening. She passed it across to me in a tulip glass and I went back to my table to contemplate where it had all gone so horribly wrong. I knew that I had been playing with fire of late, indulging in dalliances with Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and Double Daddy, respectively. Word on the street was that there had been some sort of Betrayal and like a calendar, my days were numbered. This was the era of Prohibition and I was reading "Chicago Noir" for inspiration.

A finger of deep-tan/light-brown head sat atop this gem, slowly fading into the same obscurity that seemed to be my future. Color was a a deep-copper, reddish, but not quite ruby-red (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality and I was suddenly wishing myself in Omaha or Lincoln, anywhere but San Francisco or Chicago. Nose was redolent with pine hops underlain with a pleasant malty sweetness. My first sip filled my mouth with a bubbliness that rendered it almost creamy, but not quite. This was followed by a burst of pine hops and then a wash of malt in a one-two sequence that left me reeling. Suddenly, one of the co-owners, Futty, braced me just as the bulls burst through the door! I reached for my chatterbox, aka my trusty, ever-present Thompson, but I was too slow and they were too quick and kicked it out of my reach before I could clear it from my bag. I was prepared, however, and snatched the cyanide cap out of my faux signet ring, popped it in my yap and washed it down with some more Betrayal. I'll be damned if I'll let them take me alive! This was just the way to go - drinking a beer. Finish was minty-cool, initially, followed by a caramel sweetness that stuck with me into my grave. The only remaining question, other than how will they get the sticky lacing out of the glass, is "Who inna f**king hell Betrayed me?!?" At least, I went out happy.

Remember kids, beer and noir do NOT mix!

#akashicbooks

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

This bottle says 8.2%...not 5.9. Pours a dark crimson red color with a medium, off-white head. Scent is very malty with a nice balance of hops and tropical fruit. Boy does this beer remind me of something...I can almost promise I'm not the only one who finds this very similar to Bigfoot with a little age on it. Definitely reminds me of a hoppy barleywine. Strong dark fruit flavors with bitter hops and caramel malt. Just a pinch of alcohol flavor. Very bitter hop finish with brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied with a creamy finish. Drinkability is high. This is definitely one of the better offering I've had from this brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a dark russet amber with a nice two finger light brown head with good retention and massive lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, piney hops, chocolate and an interesting estery component I can't identify. Flavor is dominated by pine and citrus hops, developing into caramel malt and finally to grassy, piney hop bitterness. Hints of chocolate and toasted malt. Very nice creamy, medium body. A different red ale with an interesting flavor progression; very hop forward, but supported by the caramel and toasty malt. Nicely done. My first introduction to Speakeasy and now certainly not my last.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is amber to orange in color with an off white head that leaves plenty of lacing on the snifter. The aroma brings a large helping of pine and hops. The flavor follows suit, though not quite as good as the aroma. Lots of pine in the flavor with a more assertive malt presence than the scent would indicate. Medium bodied with minimal alcohol presence. An enjoyable beer, I would have this again.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is reddish coppery-amber with a 1-finger bubbly tan head. Leaves good thick rings of lacing.

S: Nice. Strong caramel malt backbone but also a touch of juicy hops. A nice balance of malt and hops, which is what I like in an Imperial Red Ale.

T: Follows the nose - still balanced between malt and hops. Sweet caramel malt foundation, along with some brown sugar, and then hops - tropical fruit, citrusy and piney all come to mind at various stages of the sip. I get a touch of alcohol spice at the finish too.

M: Call it medium in heft, with a slight slickness to it.

D: A solid beer. Doesn't blow me away like Nugget Nectar or even Cascazilla - it's more balanced and malty than hoppy - but I'm enjoying it.

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%

To date this is probably the nicest screen printed bottle I have seen. I wish that they did the design in 12 ounce bottles.

Oddly, this bottle is a gusher. Nice flavor profile. A bit boozy. Still carries a good earthy tone with leafy fruit as well. Easy to drink, in spite of the burn to it. I like it.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with a tan head.

S: Quite a nice caramel malt backbone to the beer with a hint of bread and piney hops. Not much citrus, but a good balance of malt and hops.

T: The balance continues in the flavor. Again, a good sweet base with some hops and bready malt to prevent the beer from being overly sweet. A bit of piney and bitter hops on the finish.

M: The body is medium with a middle of the road level of carbonation.

D: A pretty nice beer. Not my favorite red ale, but good flavors and balance that I don't find any major faults or problems with.

Thanks to my sister for this unexpected bottle! Poured into a Surly darkness snifter.

This poured a translucent dark cherry red with a big, slightly dirty head composed of big bubbles that left patchy lacing everywhere. The nose is very caramel maltiness with big cocoa and hop notes. Still some malt and cocoa notes and sweetness in the mouth, but hopes take over with a real grassy, hay-esque hoppiness that bitters with a pine feel. The bitterness never gets nasty, though it bites hard. I always approach speakeasy expecting disappointment but this was a pleasant surprise. A very drinkable imperial red with some interesting character, something worth hitting on tap or picking up a bottle of if you cant find anything else too interesting.

Poured from a bomber into my figueroa pint glass. The body color is a deep red/caramel brown topped with a slightly tan head about a finger thick.

The scent is a refreshing hop in the forefront that also lends to a nice bitterness in the middle of the smell. The very end finishes with a hint of malty sweetness, enough to tell you there is some body to this brew.

The flavor is exactly what I expect out of an imperial red, and nice malt backbone providing maple brown sugar throughout the taste. This is balanced by a hopping that starts off floral, fades into a more bitter type and then ends with a crisp combination of bitterness and aromatic hops the finish you off.

The mouthfeel is solid, not too thick and goes down smooth with the spicy hop bite to keep you coming back for more.

Solid brew, not the best imperial red I've had but it's worth trying.

Bomber from Half Time poured a clear reddish amber with a small lingering amber head. Aromas of carmel, earthiness, floral notes and citrus. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and crisp with a dry finish. Flavors of carmel, floral notes, earthiness, citrus and light tropical fruit with a crisp dry lingering floral finish.

Betrayal Imperial Red from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers