Betrayal Imperial Red - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Betrayal Imperial RedBetrayal Imperial Red

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010)

dertyd, Mar 09, 2014

jaymo18, Feb 25, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Beermasterjarrett, Feb 23, 2014

LoFiDave, Feb 23, 2014

rstenson, Feb 18, 2014

sansho, Feb 15, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a stemware glass.

Got a perfect head of creamy bubbles that dissipated to good lacing. Color is dark ruby-red.

Smell is not pronounced, average.

Taste is a near perfect balance of sweet, sour, and bitter. Some floral, but more wood notes.

Mouthfeel is the best; very creamy almost like a stout.

Overall, a fine example of an Imperial Red, which is one of my favorite styles.
(This mean the Amber Ale / Red Ale designation is incorrect.)

jfmorey, Feb 11, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

more of an imperial red ipa here than what we usually associate with imperial reds, this is hop driven, and well driven at that. darker copper amber color with some clarity and a massive khaki head with no retreat. nose is pretty understated from a grain standpoint, i get a whole lot of resinous west coast style hops in this, some balance, but hops hold the trump card. the taste is a slow jog up the spectrum from malty to hoppy. semisweet amber malt flavors blend into the danker hops with ease, and the finish showcases both rather effectively. bitterness after the swallow comes out of nowhere, no hop flavor left over just that bitter, its drying for such a full bodied and frothy brew. speakeasy has filled a mid price point quality niche perfectly, these beers are right on for what they cost, and different enough to stand out. betrayal matches the rest of the lineup and gives us a generously hopped malty red that is big enough for cold weather.

StonedTrippin, Feb 08, 2014
3.36/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle $6.99, I'm a sucker for Imperial Reds. Orange-amber color, soapy head and lace. Aroma is mostly malt with a twinge of hops in the back. Flavor wasslty but there was a note of citrus and pine just not enough. Overall a decent beer but I was hoping for something really hoppy like Lagunitas lucky 13.

ArrogantB, Feb 04, 2014

GraduatedCashew, Feb 03, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

I was at my local speak, The Fridge, and Erin was working the stick this particular evening. She passed it across to me in a tulip glass and I went back to my table to contemplate where it had all gone so horribly wrong. I knew that I had been playing with fire of late, indulging in dalliances with Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and Double Daddy, respectively. Word on the street was that there had been some sort of Betrayal and like a calendar, my days were numbered. This was the era of Prohibition and I was reading "Chicago Noir" for inspiration.

A finger of deep-tan/light-brown head sat atop this gem, slowly fading into the same obscurity that seemed to be my future. Color was a a deep-copper, reddish, but not quite ruby-red (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality and I was suddenly wishing myself in Omaha or Lincoln, anywhere but San Francisco or Chicago. Nose was redolent with pine hops underlain with a pleasant malty sweetness. My first sip filled my mouth with a bubbliness that rendered it almost creamy, but not quite. This was followed by a burst of pine hops and then a wash of malt in a one-two sequence that left me reeling. Suddenly, one of the co-owners, Futty, braced me just as the bulls burst through the door! I reached for my chatterbox, aka my trusty, ever-present Thompson, but I was too slow and they were too quick and kicked it out of my reach before I could clear it from my bag. I was prepared, however, and snatched the cyanide cap out of my faux signet ring, popped it in my yap and washed it down with some more Betrayal. I'll be damned if I'll let them take me alive! This was just the way to go - drinking a beer. Finish was minty-cool, initially, followed by a caramel sweetness that stuck with me into my grave. The only remaining question, other than how will they get the sticky lacing out of the glass, is "Who inna f**king hell Betrayed me?!?" At least, I went out happy.

Remember kids, beer and noir do NOT mix!

#akashicbooks

woodychandler, Jan 22, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a bomber from BevMo in early November for $5.99. Bottled in 2013.

Beer poured reddish brown with a beautiful tan head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is toasted malts and citrus hops.

Taste is toasted caramel malts, citrus, pine. Pretty well balanced but the pine resin lingers in the end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall this is nicely made double red. Its got the big malt base going and the big hop bite that one would expect from this style. I have not had a brew from Speakeasy in a long time. They left Arizona for awhile but came back this past fall. Nice to see them back and i look forward to the next one!

arizcards, Jan 19, 2014

DrunkinYogi, Jan 14, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Cubatobaco, Jan 03, 2014
4.19/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a very rich, dark amber, 1/4" head.

Smell: Quite hoppy, lots of caramel notes at the beginning.

Taste: Again, hops are prevalent at the front, with a slight caramel and piney finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect level of carbonation (just my opinion). Doesn't leave the mouth feeling malty, just a smooth beer.

Overall: One of my favorite red's I've tried so far, it's the type of beer that makes me want to keep drinking it. I always enjoy this beer, it is definitely a treat.

JohnnyKuhl, Dec 23, 2013