Scarlett Red Rye - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Scarlett Red RyeScarlett Red Rye

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

Rye Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 08-31-2012)
Shogun730

anon

09-09-2013 21:59:43 | More by anon
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

It had been a snow day at the school where I was putting in time as a teacher of high school English, promoting illicit activities on the side, always after school and definitely off-campus. I called Big Daddy's squeeze, Scarlett, to see what she was up to and she agreed to meet me at our local speak, The Fridge, since not only did they serve great pizza to go with the wide array of beer, but they had a roaring potbelly stove. Y'see, Big Daddy had a potbelly of his own and an equally fat wallet, but he kept Scarlett on the side in a cold water flat and we had begun making our own time. Dangerous? Deadly, but when she would step up to the mic at WLNC-FM, 98.6 on your radio dial, and hold forth in that Siren-like voice of hers, wearing a red dress and pearls and not much else, well, I didn't seem to care.

From the bottle: :"Limited Release"; "Hand Crafted"; "Scarlett Red Rye Ale captivates with an act that ranges from sweet hops highs to spicy rye tones. Scarlett hits the notes that will set your heart on fire."; "Legit since 1997".

Legit, ha! These Limited Release beers don't go to just anybody. I knew the secret knock and took my place under the brightest lamp in the place, as is my custom. I am not hiding from anybody, plus the bulls have gotten me accustomed to sitting under a close, hot lamp while wearing the bracelets. I just call my mouthpiece, Jimmy Keaveney, and he works his magic.

In the meantime, just as I was popping the cap, Scarlett was trying to pop my cap under the table, using only her bare feet! It becomes so hard to focus under these circumstances ... I got a massive amount of head from this one, full, medium-tan, two-plus fingers that extended above the rim and then held as beautifully as she did. Color was scarlet as fever, ruby as rupees, garnet as high-grit paper and with a NE-quality clarity that made me want to take her in my arms and run her off to Lincoln or Omaha. Anywhere to get her away from Big Daddy and those abusive, ring-laden mitts of his. He had no compunction about using her like a punching bag and gave no thought to removing his big, heavy rings while he did so. I lifted Scarlett to my nose and inhaled, drinking in her peppery spiciness that she naturally exuded. She was the embodiment of sugar 'n' spice, with a lovely understated maltiness that made me stand at attention and salute her loveliness. The lacing of her stockings ran their full length and my mouth watered in anticipation of what was forthcoming. I put my tongue in and it was like being plugged into an electrical socket! My senses were overwhelmed with the cool, spicy pepperiness of rye coupled with the sweet maltiness. I looked up and Scarlett had her head thrown back in ecstasy, but only for a moment. "We gotta get rid of him, Woody," she hissed from barely spread lips. "Who?" I asked, but I already knew. Big Daddy! She would never be free of that sumbitch until he wore concrete shoes or had a Tommy gun's "X" stitched across his chest. "I'll make it happen, baby, I promise," I intoned as I drank deeply of her rye muskiness again. Little did I know that it would mark the beginning of my end, but the finish was as dry and amusing as any rye that has ever passed my lips and down my gullet.

#akashicbooks.com

BeerNoobNC

03-08-2014 05:51:15 | More by BeerNoobNC
pkalix

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%

deep, dark red. little head.
mellow hops aroma, something else a bit like an ashtray aroma (but as an ex-smoker, i LOVE it...)
taste is... mellow hops, something else.... something neutral to balance it and i cant finger it out.... is it the rye?
the website SUCKS. says it's been in operation since 1997 but they STILL aint got crap on the website to help bring their products along? rate the beer, i know, but i like a little poetry to go with it- preferrably from the producer...
overall, it's a decent brew. leans to the hop side. low abv. nice color. i get the malt balance in it and i am still learning my rye. could easily drink another, even though it's not my preferred style.

02-05-2013 01:02:56 | More by pkalix
elNopalero

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

This pours a malty amber with tight white foaming atop. It doesn’t have a big hop aroma—rather, light dank notes come across the nose along with some malty hints. The flavor is resiny, chewy, and moderate malty. Some dank hoppiness notes bring it together.

This beer is definitely the younger/lighter sibling of their imperial red ale. I think this version works more effectively—I love rye ales, red ales, and at this ABV I could have more than one. Whether in a bomber or sixer I’d love to see this on shelves as well. A winner.

10-30-2012 01:09:34 | More by elNopalero
KTCamm

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Mix a six pick up at Shoprite Wines. Twelve ounce bottle in pint glass.

Pours crimson reddish brown with virtually no foam on top. Just a smattering of white. Toffee rye nose, subtle sweetness. Pleasing. Rich malty taste with a rye hop bitter in the middle that rolls into sweet finish. Nice bite. Solid mouthfeel. Everything really works together for a tasty end result.

05-11-2013 20:21:43 | More by KTCamm