Scarlett Red Rye - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Scarlett Red RyeScarlett Red Rye

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

Rye Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 08-31-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Boneheadmx

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours out to a deep reddish brown with a very small head that subsides very quickly, but leaves some decent lacing around the edge of the glass.

Smell is rather malty with hints of roasted grain.

The flavor matches the smell, with a very strong wave of roasted grains, but a bit one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick and slightly grainy. Interesting characteristic, but not something I'd look for.

Overall, this isn't a beer that I particularly like, but it was interesting. The appearance of the beer is great but ultimately fell short of my expectations.

02-18-2014 04:14:57 | More by Boneheadmx
jpjayp

02-16-2014 01:29:19 | More by jpjayp
barnzy78

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz, bottled on 11/18/13
L - deep ruby-brown color with a creamy beige head that covers the glass with stickiness as it dissipates
S - weaker aroma that is more earthy and spicy rye if anything
T - much fuller flavors with rye, earth, spice, pine, slight fruity aspect, caramel, bread,
F - fuller body, creamy, finishes semi-dry and semi-bitter
O - really enjoyed this one. Very unique flavors and well crafted. I like what I've had from this brewery so far & I look forward to venturing more of their stuff.

02-14-2014 05:47:36 | More by barnzy78
micromaniac129

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Scarlett Lady looks brown when pouring but has a nice reddish hue when peered through. i small lacey head forms with a touch of lacing.
The aroma was sweet malts with a touch of roasted malts.
Taste was pretty good and solid. Taste was of soft roasted malts sweet caramel and a touch of hops. I didn't take note of any rye malts.
This is a good solid beer but really didn't notice any rye.

02-13-2014 11:52:40 | More by micromaniac129
enelson

02-12-2014 00:17:53 | More by enelson
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -38%

12oz bottle from a friend who warned me that this was awful. He was not kidding. Looked fine, amber, good head. Smelled like the most awful malts. Flavor was dirty and like soggy stale cereal. This was a really bad beer, not sure what happened with this one but I won't be buying it.

02-04-2014 18:38:46 | More by ArrogantB

01-24-2014 07:07:17 | More by shadowofthereaper_666
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It had been a snow day at the school where I was putting in time as a teacher of high school English, promoting illicit activities on the side, always after school and definitely off-campus. I called Big Daddy's squeeze, Scarlett, to see what she was up to and she agreed to meet me at our local speak, The Fridge, since not only did they serve great pizza to go with the wide array of beer, but they had a roaring potbelly stove. Y'see, Big Daddy had a potbelly of his own and an equally fat wallet, but he kept Scarlett on the side in a cold water flat and we had begun making our own time. Dangerous? Deadly, but when she would step up to the mic at WLNC-FM, 98.6 on your radio dial, and hold forth in that Siren-like voice of hers, wearing a red dress and pearls and not much else, well, I didn't seem to care.

From the bottle: :"Limited Release"; "Hand Crafted"; "Scarlett Red Rye Ale captivates with an act that ranges from sweet hops highs to spicy rye tones. Scarlett hits the notes that will set your heart on fire."; "Legit since 1997".

Legit, ha! These Limited Release beers don't go to just anybody. I knew the secret knock and took my place under the brightest lamp in the place, as is my custom. I am not hiding from anybody, plus the bulls have gotten me accustomed to sitting under a close, hot lamp while wearing the bracelets. I just call my mouthpiece, Jimmy Keaveney, and he works his magic.

In the meantime, just as I was popping the cap, Scarlett was trying to pop my cap under the table, using only her bare feet! It becomes so hard to focus under these circumstances ... I got a massive amount of head from this one, full, medium-tan, two-plus fingers that extended above the rim and then held as beautifully as she did. Color was scarlet as fever, ruby as rupees, garnet as high-grit paper and with a NE-quality clarity that made me want to take her in my arms and run her off to Lincoln or Omaha. Anywhere to get her away from Big Daddy and those abusive, ring-laden mitts of his. He had no compunction about using her like a punching bag and gave no thought to removing his big, heavy rings while he did so. I lifted Scarlett to my nose and inhaled, drinking in her peppery spiciness that she naturally exuded. She was the embodiment of sugar 'n' spice, with a lovely understated maltiness that made me stand at attention and salute her loveliness. The lacing of her stockings ran their full length and my mouth watered in anticipation of what was forthcoming. I put my tongue in and it was like being plugged into an electrical socket! My senses were overwhelmed with the cool, spicy pepperiness of rye coupled with the sweet maltiness. I looked up and Scarlett had her head thrown back in ecstasy, but only for a moment. "We gotta get rid of him, Woody," she hissed from barely spread lips. "Who?" I asked, but I already knew. Big Daddy! She would never be free of that sumbitch until he wore concrete shoes or had a Tommy gun's "X" stitched across his chest. "I'll make it happen, baby, I promise," I intoned as I drank deeply of her rye muskiness again. Little did I know that it would mark the beginning of my end, but the finish was as dry and amusing as any rye that has ever passed my lips and down my gullet.

#akashicbooks.com

01-02-2014 00:59:52 | More by lzepplin01
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a half finger tan head with good retention and light lacing. Mild, but classic red ale aroma of slightly toasted caramel malt with light grassy hops, supplemented by rye bread notes. Flavor is toasted and caramel malt, grassy hops with light sourness and rye grain. Medium bodied with nice carbonation. A nice red ale that is somewhat light on the rye, but fairly well balanced. Lots of flavor for its ABV.

12-30-2013 23:12:32 | More by LiquidAmber
ShemRahBoo

12-27-2013 19:12:51 | More by ShemRahBoo
artoolemomo

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance- Pours up very little head which also has poor retention. The head is a light beige with tan hints while the body is a dull mix of maroon, crimson, and garnet which brightens when held up to the light. Some lacing is left behind.

Nose- Some rye notes followed by some oak. Some caramel. Very weak notes from the glass- basically only rye presents itself. Some grain from the bottle and glass. Swirling shows some breadiness and caramel but not much else.

Taste- Much the same as the nose- starts of with rye (brown bread as well), some oak, other (less-defined) wood, and caramel. Some aspects of brown sugar and burnt caramel that meet with citrus and pine hops on the finish. Some metallic notes start to appear. They aren't negative at the moment but very well could be. Some enjoyable notes (the flavor profile could use more complexity) but the slight metallic note around the edges in a flaw. Not a huge one but a little distracting. It leads to a vinous character that has some candy notes to it. Mostly orange. The more traditional flavors of a rye beer have faded leaving some wood but mostly sweetness. Pretty much an average beer with a slight inclination toward below average. Really flattens out and becomes somewhat thin.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with slight syrup to the texture. Light carbonation. A little chalk on the finish.

Drinkability- Fairly boring with minor flaws. Probably best to drink this one cold. Around two bucks for a bottle- not bad but I won't be buying this one again.

Overall- Pretty much just average. Not horrible; just has some weird off-tastes that aren't bad but just don't fit. You're not missing much if you don't try it, that's for sure.

12-25-2013 02:15:40 | More by artoolemomo