Red Truck IPA - Palisade Brewing Co.

Red Truck IPARed Truck IPA

Palisade Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-20-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by humanawho:
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A- nice clear red amber color with an ok off white head

S- very sweet with some orange and stewberry aromas

T- more pine and citrus but still nice and sweet and strewberry there is also a slight earthyness

M- light-medium body and energetic carbonation

D- easy driking

humanawho, Feb 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

I really like this IPA. I generally like an IPA with more hop aroma but the drinkability of this beer realy makes up for it.

Red Truck has a very pleasing roundness in the mouth, no carbonic acid bite, a smooth finish.

Check out their Double IPA, The Dually, when at the brewery. I think that this is a very plesant IPA and would recommend it to all.

jcharlesmith, Sep 06, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Copped tinted under yellowed suds.
Resinous herbals, and juicy citrics on the nose, coupled with a toasted caramel malt underlay.
Let's talk malt first. It begins sweet, caramel, with fruit laden breakfast cereal (like all-malt Froot Loops). Turns toastier and grainer.
Now lets talk hops, and raise the volume of our conversation.
Juicy, with bursting pink grapefruit traits, yet slakingly dry in its herbals. There is a gleaming metalic edge here as well. Bold, brash, yet not out of whack.
Sturdy medium+ build, with stunted carbonation.
Love the balance.
Choice IPA here. One that is distinctly American, while still honoring its British roots.

cokes, Mar 20, 2004

Pours a deep reddish brown, clear, with a modest half inch off white head.

Aroma has very mild scent of pine and herbal hops. Nothing too special here.

Some decent hop bitterness, herbal mostly, some floral comes through. A substantial malt flavor follows, somewhat roasty. A very balanced drinker, although for my tastes, could have been a little more citrus hop flavor, but that's just me. Still a good IPA no matter what my personal preference happens to be.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little grainy, with a sweet finish.

Drinkability is medium to high for this one. I could drink a bunch of these on a hot Summer day. But with the big malt profile, I could put down a few in Autumn as well.

dancinwillie, Aug 28, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a slightly hazed (clears later) orangey caramel with 2+ fingers of sand-colored fluffed up head. Above average lacing & good head retention

S: Slight bready notes that increase as this warms

T: Piney and grapefruitty hops along with some breadyness up front. Caramel & more piney hops & a bit of warming booze as this warms. Finishes with citrussy & piney hops, some slight dates & fig fruittyness & just a little alcohol burn

MF: Medium bodied with very good balance & carbonation

Drinks fairly easy, I could drink a few of these before moving on. A solid IPA

russpowell, Nov 27, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Semi-hazy, tawny, amber-gold in hue, it is a lovely but ordinary color for an IPA. Not much animation danced towards the head. The foamy mass was two fingers in height, very sticky, and off-white in color. Head retention was fantastic; it slowly faded to a thin cap that lasted the entire consumption. Impressive. Subsequent lacing was webby, unorganized, and quite rampant. The nose is fantastic! I love the vibrant piney/sprucey aromas with kisses of honey, a garden?s worth of wildflowers. The hops don?t end here, as citrusy flesh (mainly grapefruit) is noticed along with some lemon zest. Also in play are fruity components, apricots, oranges, and a hint of melon. The fruit is very secondary and difficult to pinpoint, the hops are very loud and aggressive. Malt is found even behind the fruit, some sweetness, weak caramel notes, and a vague toasty quality. Candid sugar. I really like the nose; the hop profile is complex (in its own realm). Potency is substantial. Boastful but articulate. Very inviting! The palate doesn?t blow me away like the nose did. Still, it is very tasty with enough going on for me to care. First of all, this is nowhere near as bitter or raw as I was lead to believe. Too bad. But, that is okay, I like a well-brewed IPA and this one fits the bill. Hop bitterness is at the finish and it lingers nicely. Upfront is a soft fruitiness that is very tasty. Oranges, melons, apricots start the palate and in the middle is some candied sugar, caramel, and lemonade-like sweetness. So far, not very hoppy/bitter but very tasty, the malt is kind of reserved and not that pronounced. Like I said, the hops are a live at the swallow, grapefruit flesh, pine, spruce, and a dash of lemon zest. When all is said and done, it is a very fine IPA. The malt could be more flavorful and fuller and the hops could kick in sooner but, as is, I really like it and would drink it again if I get the chance. Around medium in body, too thin for me, it is not a detrimental issue but it could be improved. Delicate carbonation. The mouthfeel is charming, it is kind of lazy but playful? even with that said it needs more bulk. Drinkability is very high, this would be a great everyday kind of IPA (like Goose Island, IMO); too bad this CO micro is not found in Nebraska. Lovely stuff, I can imagine grabbing a six-pack and watching some football on TV while munching on pretzels? where is the mustard! This beer was a completely random purchase, I needed one more bottle to fill out a mixed six-pack, I seen the letters ?IPA? and I was sold. Blind luck! Purchased in Brookfield, WI. Recommend.

bditty187, Nov 18, 2004

12 oz bottle poured into my new Snowmass glass.

Pours a nice 2 finger head with good lacing. The head diminished after a few sips, but is still solid. The beer is a deep orange to copper color and has a touch of haze.

Smell is mostly or orange and/or apricot. Very slight pine and a touch of candy sweetness. It's nice, but fairly tame for an American IPA (at least these days).

This one is nicely balanced. It has a good sweetness followed by an equal level of bitterness. As it warms, you get mostly grapefruit. A touch of caramel and some orange sweetness.

I like the mouthfeel on this one. Moderate to low carbonation (a good thing in my opinion). Slight creaminess, but just enough carbonation to break that up.

This is a damn fine IPA. My favorite? No, but I would use this as a basis to get started on my favorite. Good sweetness cut with a nice bitterness. Good stuff.

biking4beer, Jul 13, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a nice amber color with a thick one inch white head. Great lacing, and some head retention.

Hoppy scent. Also smells like evergreens. Some citrus.

Sweet hop taste. Not as strong as I would expect from an IPA. Nontheless the malts are balanced well with the hops.

Good mouthfeel. The majority of stimulation is on the roof of my mouth.

Great beer for having several. Would love to down many if they were sold at home...

toolbrew, Apr 30, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

looks like varnished cedar. Gorgeous white soap sudsy froth: Holds on, speaks volumes. This is a really outgoing froth that wants to carry on a lengthy conversation.

Smells of spruce hops hung with a few cut apples and popcorn.

Tastes like smooth bitter pine syrup served over buttered white bread. Cherry juice shooter. This is a great small town IPA. Hell, I could live in a small town as long as I could get this every day. Very tasty. It certainly goes down by the duece.

gbontrag, Aug 17, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

A nice medium brown color, a little cloudy with a standard 1 finger head. Smells quite hoppy, definitely pleasing, but not quite what I was expecting. This is an IPA that the hops are reasonably subtle, at least when on tap. I think that for me this beer improves more between the bottle and the keg than most. Very drinkable, I think I could drink a few of these whereas most IPAs I wouldn't want more than one or two.

thedetective, Nov 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours reddish amber with a thick, off-white head that settles to a thin cover that lasts awhile before becoming a patch. Some thin lacing sticks to the glass.

The smell is piney with floral and citric notes. Some hints of carmelized graininess supports it in the back. I was going to score it a tad bit lower, but the aroma really grows as it progresses, and is on-target for the style.

The taste is piney, floral, citric - nice hoppy tones with supporting sweet carmelish, grainy background. It has a balanced bitterness with a slight touch of alcohol that lend a spicy kick. Aggressively hoppy but with some sweetness mixed in in the finish.

Medium, approaching full, bodied. Rather - well...almost...chewy.

Nice hop profile, but with some balance, this is a nice example of an American IPA.

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this back for me from his trip to the West!

jwc215, Oct 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer is a golden, coppery color, very pretty.. poured with a small tan head. The smell of the beer is quite exceptional, a nice malt and hop aroma. It tasted pretty full-bodied, the malt and hops in the aroma were present in the taste, as well a small amount of bitterness. The carbonation was just right, enough so it didn't feel like water, but not so much that you feel like you have pop rocks in your mouth or something. This beer is very drinkable, I think it would be excellent after say, a day of yardwork for example.

67cuda, Mar 21, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Bronze with lots of floaters and a nice constant beige head. POURED THICK! Prominent flowery and citrus hop aroma. Also very fruity and almost apple-like. Nice citrusy orange peel and grapefruit flavors with an incredible malt balance for the massive amount of hops. Full-medium bodied, creamy as hell, and smotth with a decent finish... not dry, not bitter, just good !!

(D. Hayward)

RBorsato, Jun 14, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +1%

A - Amber orange in color. small head at first and clears away quickly. Not a lot of bubbles to be seen. Looks clear, not cloudy

S - Not hidden, but not too big either. Lots of hops and pine is the first thing that hits me then obvious citrus like grapefruit. Some bready notes as well.

T - Sweet candy, citrus taste. Not overly bitter. Kind of fun and better than I anticipated.

M - Medium/light mouthfeel. I like how the flavor seems to hang on your breath, but its not a big aftertaste that sticks to your throat. Not a big bubbly mouthfull, which is good.

D - I could enjoy a few of these. May have to search out the area and pay these guys a visit and try others. I'm happy of this purchase.

Tolann, May 05, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +4%

I was pleasantly surprised by Red Truck IPA. Since the ABV wasn't listed on the bottle, I wasn't sure if it would be a respectable IPA. After pouring and taking my first sip, I was pleased to find a very drinkable, tasty IPA.

I poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass; not a huge head, but about 1/2 and inch. A bit remained as I drank, and it never fully disappeared. It was a nice, dark amber color; the smell was a balance between malt and hops.

Although this is not an "over the top hops" beer (of which I'm a huge fan), the balance of hops and malt give it a great bitter bite along with a smooth, sweet aftertaste. I could easily drink a few of these in an evening.

Would love to try this on tap!

IPALOVER, Apr 27, 2008

Had this at the Flying Fork in Paonia, CO.
Pours a deep red color with a fair amount of foam. Lots of suspended yeast and hop oils that I've really only seen in other bottled small batch IPAs.
Big fruity hops hit up front. Pine and citrus zest, but in the middle the malt starts to come out more and blend with the hops to reveal tropical flavors. The finish is almost sugar cookie-like as the malt takes over. A lingering pine note keeps the hops around, too.
Perfectly drinkable and a nice combination of different flavor notes makes this beer pair well with food. Mine went amazingly well with pasta and olives.
Good stuff. Stands up to a lot of up and coming IPA's around the country and reminds me a little of the Cigar City Jai Alai...which is a good thing.
Like Orchard Ale, I hope this beer sticks around with the reorganization in Palisade.

Domingo, Jun 22, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

This is one of my favorites from my Colorado trip. I went to Vail and roomed with 3 other beer snobs in a condo right at Lionshead (Antlers). On the way up from Denver we bought a mess of cool beers we had never seen (from CO).

Once we started to get low we made a run to the beer store in the resort. Prices were high and selection somewhat limited, but this was the nice find there.

It is right in the middle of where an IPA should be. Nice.

schoolboy, Dec 14, 2007

Served on-tap at Sneaky's Tavern in Snowmass Vilalge.

A: Pours a copper hue with a good sized white head.

S: Some citrus and piney notes in the nose.

T: Bursting with fresh hops flavor, mostly in the form of grapefruit. Very well balanced with some caramel and bready malt. A solid IPA.

M: Medium-full bodied.

D: A well balanced and very good IPA. Worth seeking out.

willjschmidt, Jun 11, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll be checking out the Palisade Brewery proper this Friday, so in anticipation of my visit I picked up a sixer of Red Truck--a CO brew that I hadn't tried in over a year, and I found myself pleasantly surprised.

This is a nice amber with a thick foamy head that lingers throughout the pint; bottle conditioning means that a nice dose of yeast floats around in the brew, giving it (the endearing) look of a thin bottle of sweet chili sauce. The bouquet is a well-balanced combination of typical esters--more floral than earthy--and a hint ofmaple syrup. Again sweet and sour.

The flavor is rather standard for an IPA. There's a nice hop presence up front, though it trails off quickly and doesn't leave much aftertaste. There's not much else to speak of flavor wise, save a hint of grapefruit
around the center of the palate.

Red Truck is medium bodied and, if slightly simplistic in terms of flavor, it is well-balance and, thus, highly refreshing for an IPA. This isn't my favorite offering from Palisade, but it's certainly worth a look, and if I lived just a little farther west along Colorado's Western Slope I would happily adopt this as my local-beer-pride-icon of choice.

benito, Jun 01, 2006

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle with a vintage red Chevy truck on the label. No freshness info.

Appearance: Pours an attractive cloudy red/orange color with an offwhite head. Head fades quickly, but leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hops come through at first, but then the sweet malt shows up to keep the aroma well balanced.

Taste: Medium to full bodied with a nice smooth mouthfeel. Plenty of hops, but also nice sweet maltiness. Well balanced and very drinkable.

Overall impression: A nice IPA from a relatively unknown brewery - next time I'm passing through I will have to stop!

rowew, Jul 21, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Hey look, the truck is red. So the pour was a light amber color with good clarity and a frothy white head. Good staying power but does dissipates over time.

The nose is overall good but maybe light for an IPA. A nice citrus aroma up front but not much beyond that. Some very light malt notes in the back as well.

The taste is much more distinguishable then the nose. A good balance between hops and malt. There is a medium bitterness with piney taste that is followed with a sweet maltiness. A somewhat syrupy flavor but finishes with a strong finish hop flavor. A nice citrus that mixes with a grapefruit finish.

The body is good, as is the carbonation. Overall a sweet beer with a good finish and very easy to drink. No matter what the color of the truck is.

Oxymoron, Oct 11, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Dark Orange.

Delicate, vibrant, stunning nose of coffee beans, pine, apricot, resin, grapefruit, oil and cherries.

Raw, cutting, glorious and copious amount of hops completely takeover this brew. Toasty, fruity, vanilla, caramel like malts fit in with the massive piney, citrusy, sprucey and woody hop profile. Damn, what a beer!

Crosling, Sep 02, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -4%

A: Cloudy orange amber color with mild carbonation. Rocky off-white head has very good retention and leaves a good amount of lace.

S: A strong whiff of citrus and pine with a little yeast and toasted malt out back.

T: A nice toasted malt flavor is there, but it's overwhelmed by the hops. Bitterness is dominated by flavors of tart lemon and grapefruit. However, some pepper and clove flavors are to be found amongst all that citrus. Finishes with a lasting bitterness.

M: Medium body is chewy from the yeast in the bottle. Carbonation level is a touch n the high side.

D: A very nice IPA. Not the most complex example I've had. Still very worthy of a revisit.

Rayek, Nov 05, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

This really seems more like a British IPA, with that mild, tea-like flavor and finish. But not bad at all.

Pours a light amber with a nice head and good lacing. The smell is slight and honey like at first, leading toward a distinct amber malt aroma, that eventually gives way to a tea-like character. The flavor is strongly malty with a tannic, tea-like hop finish, very dry despite the sweetness of the malt. There is a small hop bitterness on the finish, but more tannic than anything. The moithfeel is clingy, a little astringent, but pleasant. This is a nice, drinkable beer.

Seanibus, Aug 26, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

definitely an english IPA style, i like the tea scented moniker that seanibus used in describing it. a little less than what i was hoping for on the citrus and hop florals, however the malt is reasonably interesting.

again this has an english yeast style finish with a bit of toffee and overall a pretty solid malty beer that gets a nice kick of bitterness on it.

with the good weather coming around i think the rest of my 6 pack will follow as well.

aaron

Atron67, Apr 26, 2009
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Red Truck IPA from Palisade Brewing Co.