Orchard Amber Ale - Palisade Brewing Co.

Orchard Amber Ale
No picture uploaded.

Palisade Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: benito on 12-07-2005)
Reviews by donaldchapman:
3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Clear amber color, white head with good lacing.
S - Sweet malt aromas, slight hop aroma, perhaps a bit of oxidation.
T - Good malt sweetness, slight diacetyl and slight astringency, some hop flavor.
M - Good carbonation and body.

This beer was okay, the malt and body on this were full and made up for the small amount of diacetyl present.

donaldchapman, Jul 18, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

Purchased at a liquor store in Glenwood Springs, 100 miles from the source.

Pours an effervescent, but hazed caramel/brown with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Great lacing &

S: Slight appleskin & metallic notes

T: Some caramel, metallic hops & brown bread up front. Toasted malt, herbal & leafy hops, apple pie & a slight astringency as this warms. Finishes with more metallic hops & apple notes

MF: Light/medium bodied with a little too much carbonation

Drinks only okay, off style & too jumbled up flavor-wise. Since the liquor store clerk told me they just started carrying this, I don't think it's old or damaged, given the time of year

russpowell, Nov 26, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours deep amber with a thin off-white head that becomes a thin patch.

The smell is of soft caramel with a touch of light toast.

The taste is of caramel, slight toast, some floral notes. It does have a slightly tinny note. Finishes sweet with some spiciness.

It has enough of a body to approach, or even hit, medium-bodied.

A decent amber, but nothing noteworthy. The slight metallic note detracts slightly, but even without that, it just didn't ring out as something noteworthy, but not bad at all, either. Worthy enough, but not worth seeking out, IMO.

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this one back for me from his trip to the West.

jwc215, Oct 20, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

The beer pours with an expansive off-white head that either leads to high protiens or infection. As the beer settles in, an ordinate amount of lacing is left behind. Along with the medium copper-amber hue and mild haze, the beer takes on a nice look.

Aromas of caramelized malts and a twangy, yeasty thing happens in the nose and tilts toward light infectious notes. Tawny and metalic notes weave in and out of the mildly aromatic hops.

Flavors do the same thing: Starting out as a firm malty flavored beer, it soon turns toward soured and aged notes of crabapples, under-rippened berries, and a light vineous-lactic thing. This could be an over-sparge, grainy alkaline thing happening. Still, the beer holds onto some grassy hop flavors and light medium fruit esters.

The body also sacrifices the initial malty firm body by the introduciton of acidic and lactic notes that distract too much. Sweetness from the toasty malts and bitterness from the hops are a timid saving grace. Still, tought to overlook the astringency int the throat and jawls.

I really want to like this beer and thought that I had received an old and defunct bottle. After reading others' reviews, I think this is just the way the beer is made. A challenging brew at times.

Thanks Opethsprite!

BEERchitect, Jul 29, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -35.6%

I'm certainly not a connoisseur of beer but this one is interesting.

The appearance is beautiful with a large head that sticks around for a while.

Heck - I'll cut to the chase.

It has a very pronounced metal taste that just hangs around your mouth. The smell made my mouth water but once the liquid left my tongue.

TWANG!!!

I sat their contemplating what to do next and the sides of my tongue kept me from moving my arms towards the glass.

nuff said

Grinder, Jul 29, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife brought this back from the western slope.
Pours an expected amber/copper color with a billowing white head.
The flavor profile is better than I expected. Toasty and malty with just enough hops to keep everything balanced. The yeasts impart just a hint of fruit flavor (pear mainly) that reveals this as an ale. Reminds me of Vienna lager or Marzen made with an ale yeast. Kind of like those "Autumn ale" beers that were common a few years ago. This is right up my alley, though. Drinkable but still flavorful.
My glass was gone before I knew it and I'd love to have more. I imagine this would be great at the end of a warm day...or even a cool day.
I like this stuff. Hopefully they'll keep it with the changes they're going through.

Domingo, Jun 15, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

I poured this from one of the more eye-catching bottles I've seen a beer come from lately: using a Depression-era font and billboard motif, they've hammed up a painting of Colorado's Western Slope (an orchard of some sort with the Book Cliffs in the background) framed by a bright orange border and yellow-lettering. Hopefully they've created a brew as striking as the bottle...

The beer pours a dark amber with little head and good carbonation. Light penetrates along the beer's edges, but it's core remains a cloudy cider. The bouquet is a mix of citrus, hops, and cotton candy: an enticing mix.

I'm writing this as I take my first sip, and...they've pulled it off. There's a nice balance between a strong caramel malt flavor, a subtle nuttiness, and just the right hint of bitterness for finish. The tart pungence of the swallow is a nice end-note as it adds a considerable level of complexity to a style that is often over-malted or watered-down. This is light bodied and goes down way too easily. A delicious brew all around, and by far the most interesting offer I've tasted from the folks at Palisade.

benito, Dec 07, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

thanks nate on this gift from your recent trip to the west.

Pours a muddy amber color with less than one finger of head, but a nice fil after the first few sips. Bread with a little citrus and pomegranate jelly in the aroma. The taste starts nice and toasted mlaty sweet. Like crackers with some light pomegranate, citrus, and rasberry jam. The middle adds splashes of hoppy citrus and grass to keep some of the sweetness at bay. The palate is wet and a little syrupy. But overall extremely drinkable. I would love to try this on tap.

scruffwhor, Oct 14, 2009
Orchard Amber Ale from Palisade Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.