Colorado Brewing Old Hand - Colorado Brewing & Trading Co.

Colorado Brewing Old Hand
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Colorado Brewing & Trading Co.
Connecticut, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-2002)
Reviews by beernbbq:
3.1/5  rDev n/a

Looks like the real deal in the glass but I don't know what happened during the brewing. The taste is pure bubblegum. Any malt or hop or yeast is masked entirely. I assume I just got a bad batch. Either that or I am spoiled by the Stone Arrogant Bastard that I have in my garage.

4.03/5  rDev n/a

I heard varying accounts about how strong this beer was. The sound guy for the band said it was 13 percent! One of the bartenders told me it was around 6 and the other said it was closer to 10. 7.6 sounds about right for what I was tasting (Although I'm sure each batch differs). Opaque muddy brown sludge that still managed to look inviting. Big raisin flavors with lots of toffee; a subtle, sweet, complex beer that did not have the high hop qualities of other barleywines. This is, in fact, closer to an old ale I would say. Candy, brown sugar, and some alcohol qualities perceived. A succulent, juicy finish. An appealing but forceful brew that is a primo dessert beer on its own but could probably stand up to the desserts on Colorado's menu.

4.47/5  rDev n/a

My God, this one was impressive. I was lucky enough to have this cask conditioned at the Colorado Brewery and restaurant. Slightly warmer than the draught version (of which I also sampled many), I found this ale to be one hearty brew indeed!

Dark reddish brown, with an off white thick creamy head. The aroma was all toffee malt and hops. Wow! I love this beer. If only they would bottle it (hint hint...).

Taste was outstandingly fresh, alcohol warmth, immense body and tons of malty and hoppy notes pour over your tongue. What a balance and full character. This one would be huge if they ever bottle it (another hint). Mouthfeel was thick and hearty, almost chewy. A great after dinner brew, and I enjoyed MANY that evening.

A true classic that needs to be brought to the public on a wide scale basis. Another Arrogant Bastard in the making? We shall see... Cheers to the brewmaster at Colorado Brewing and Restaurant! (great food, too!)

3.98/5  rDev n/a

The beer is a deep bronze, nearly mahogany, topped with a thick taupe foam. The head settles into a misty coating, keeping a thick collar through the glass. Good retention, with some blobby lace clinging to the glass.
The aroma is extremely malty, with loads of sweet caramel and toffee. Slightly toasty, with perhaps a touch of dark roasted malt for good measure. A touch of alcohol provides a soft burn through the nose, with hints of plum and fig fruitiness, with a suggestion of raisin. Mild, balancing hops provide a slightly herbal aroma.
The flavor starts out with an impressively smoothed out maltiness. Heaps of caramel and toffee are shoveled atop the tongue, burying it in a worty, gooey mess. Perhaps a touch of molasses and biscuity flavor, along with a bit of roasted malt, or at least high lovibond crystal. Moderate fruitiness glides atop the malt, evoking a feel similar to a caramel coated raisin. A dash of fig and date. Mild floral/herbal hopping keeps the brew from becoming cloying, lasting into the aftertaste, a perfect balance of flavor. Mild, slow carbonation pushes the huge, portly body along. A slight chewiness to the mouthfeel, suggesting at high dextrin content. Great stuff.
A truly great strong ale. My tastebuds can only support this much malt for so long before they collapse under the weight, but it's an enjoyable fight. Two of these make me pretty sleepy. Well worth a trip to Colorado Brewing for this beer alone. Beware the cask conditioned version. Frighteningly drinkable.

Colorado Brewing Old Hand from Colorado Brewing & Trading Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.