Frugal Joe's Ordinary Beer - Steinhaus Brewing Co.

Frugal Joe's Ordinary BeerFrugal Joe's Ordinary Beer

Steinhaus Brewing Co.

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 04-30-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frugal Joe's Ordinary Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 65

12 oz bottle from Trader Joe's. Pours pale yellow without much of a head. Aroma is of corn. Taste is kind of like a corn syrup soda. Body is watery. I could not finish the bottle. It's easily the worst beer type beverage I have ever tried. I'd rather drink Coors lite.

1.53/5  rDev -48%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

from the bottle. frugal is right .74 for bottle from trader joes. poured yellow with white head. aroma corn,hops,some sweetness. flavor sweet at 1st than just drops of the face of the earth. weak. the price was right for this beer. will not buy this one again.

1.62/5  rDev -44.9%

What do you expect for 77 cents/single? Trader Joe's s a good place to go for eclectic and organic food, but they need to go back to the drawing board in the beer department. Actually it looks like they have a few different beers I have not seen elsewhere, all brewed by some brewer in MN. I am pretty sure this beer is contract brewed by Schell's.
Anyway, this beer is not even good enough to be considered "ordinary". Pours an insipid pale gold color with a thin white head. Aroma did not provide any insight as to what the beer had to offer. Actually neither did the flavor so I just poured the sumbitch out.

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a clear very light yellow, fizzy white head that lasts about 10 seconds and leaves no trace of ever being there. Aroma is grainy, grassy, and sweet (corn?). Flavor is super sweet start, thin middle, and no ending. Super thin palate. It may be slighly refreshing after mowing the lawn, but so is water...which is what I would chose over this.

1.77/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Purchased at Trader Joe's by my roommate. Pours a light crisp straw yellow with a quickly diminishing head. Aroma was of pale malts and nothing else. Taste was just a small notch better than BMC, but not much. The beer was light and overly carbonated. This one was a drain pour.

1.77/5  rDev -39.8%

The last Steinhaus brewing beer I'll ever buy from Trader Joe's. 12 oz. bottle whose contents tarnished my Unibroue tulip glass...

Poured a urine-colored yellow reminscent of Welch's grape juice. A white Gary Coleman-sized head disappeared before I could turn on the TV. Smells like champagne, not beer. Grapes, wheat, and grass make for an unappealing nose.

Taste is, well, pretty bad. Barely above the macrobrewed junk...metallic taste and mouthfeel with a hint of grape rinds. The mouthfeel is truly awful, it's overly carbonated and leaves my tongue with a curdled feel. Blech... This is the worst rating I've given a beer so far...I contemplated pouring it down the sink, and followed through about halfway into this "beer".

1.98/5  rDev -32.7%

This was a yellow clear lager with almost no head... typical macro lager appearance.

Aroma was of mild hops and grains. Too grainy for my tastes. Don't really like that.

The taste was of grains.. nothing but that. No balance, no malt, no hops.

Mouthfeel was quite watery. And drinkability? Not again. Not surprised with what I got... don't expect much at $0.80 for a bottle. That's cheaper than a can of soda.

Poured a light color, too light. No head. Tasted: a step up from water, practically no taste. I think I tasted some hops, but definitely no malt. Not repungnent though, I could have drank a couple without grimacing. Overall, you get what you pay for and at $4.29 a six pack, it showed. Better than AB though.

Got a bottle of this at Trader Joe's a month or two ago since it was like $.75 cents a bottle or something dirt cheap like that, so I figured it couldn't be that bad right? Got the urge to finally try this earlier tonight Poured into my pint glass. this beer pours a very clear pale yellow gold straw color. I think this might be the lightest colored beer I have ever seen. White head is about 1/2 inch when poured, settling quickly to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Little lace. The very clear and pale color is what really surprised me appearance wise here. Has a sweet malt aroma with some corn or rice or adjunct of sorts. Not skunky or musty, but the aroma is not as potent as an aroma from a beer should be. Slightly sweet malty flavor upfront followed by the aforementioned corn or rice or whatever the hell it is. Not trace of hops here at all that I could detect. Not offensively bad or shitty tasting like beers of this style that are actually brewed by the usual big corporate BMC suspects, just a bland and uninteresting flavor. It does have a slight metallic extract bitter taste just slightly noticeable on the back end that is almost barely detectable, but it is there. Again not as pronounced like in a lot of other beers I have had of this style. Crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink because it is like drinking sugar water, not beer. Not something I would buy again, but I'd probably have one or two if I was at a barbecue or something and this is what was being offered. Not impressed at all though.

Eric

A: Very light, no head and no lacing. Very carbonated, the bubbles don't stop.

S: Smells kind of cheap, little bit fruity, but not much else.

T: Tastes like it smell, kind of cheap. I don't know if they stole this recipe from Bud Light or something. I guess when you call it Frugal Joe's Ordinary Beer, you shouldn't expect too much.

M: Very water, no substance at all.

D: I don't know if I'm going to finish this, considering how many better beers I have in my fridge.

Overall: The beer delivers on its name. It looks cheap, smells cheap, and tastes cheap. If you like your standard beers Bud, Coors, Miller etc, you'll enjoy this. If you're looking for a great beer, look elsewhere. I'll have to say, they hooked me with the clever label.

2.01/5  rDev -31.6%

12 oz bottle poured intoa pilsner. pours a crystal clear light straw color, with three fingers of tight white head. a standard macro in appearance.

aroma is griny, with a very subtle floral character and a touch of pale malts. simple in profile.

taste is more of the same, with an ultra clean finish and a mildly pleasant character on the palate.

mouthfeel is watery and light bodied, with no real character to call its own.

drinkability is decent. this is a standard brew as far as macro lagers go. very light bodied with minimal flavors and character. easily passed up on most occasions.

2.1/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Very clear and no head retention at all.

S: Light on the aroma, what is found is not pleasing.

T: Typical carbonation, very bland.

M: A crisp lager, just about the same smoothness as most adjunct lagers.

D: Does not have me coming back for more.

Notes: Ehhh.. . well for 80 cents a bottle at the Joe's I would get something else over this. possibly a waste of a bottle. Come on Joe put it in a can.

2.12/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into a pint glass on 6/27/10

Clear straw golden yellow color. 1/8th inch of very loose foam starts to dissipate immediately. Bubbles on the inside of the glass rise & try to feed the head, but is doomed; no retention or lace. Am I looking at watered-down apple juice?

Not sure how the aroma comes off as almost sticky-sweet, but it does. Mild notion of tart apple, plenty adjunct grains, some grassiness & a bit of dry, musty yeast hidden in back. A touch of hops too, but certainly not enough to save the otherwise disappointing aroma.

For joy, the taste is nearly an exact replica of the treasures found in the aroma (nose goblins might be a more appropriate term, in this case). Random adjuncts & grains are ever-so-slightly masked with an ok amount of grassiness; a tickle that I suppose is intended to pass for hops; a spritz of apple & a pervassive toastiness.

Lighter in body, the feel suffers due to low carbonation; were it higher, the bad flavor might be further masked. Then again, it might drag it farther to the fore. In any case, it might not let the beer linger for so long.

This beer is technically drinkable but downright forgettable. However, is it ordinary? By comparison, some things I consider ordinary: work; paying bills; washing dishes & doing laundry; buying groceries - none of which I look forward to, nor in them do I find excessive amounts of enjoyment. Frugal Joe's Ordinary Beer, in this respect, lives up to its name.

2.26/5  rDev -23.1%

Ultra-clear. 1/4" head on stiff pour. Pours like a macro lager. Head is gone before I set it down. Constant stream of bubbles. Looks well carbonated.

Smells corny, sweet. Much more so than a macro lager. No hops. Smells a bit like a malt liquor.

Not much to it. Tastes a bit like a malt liquor. No bitterness. Light hint of sweetness that is not enjoyable.

So thin, so thin.

A shadow of a beer. I'd rather have a beast ... if you are going for unoffensive-to-none, go all the way.

2.31/5  rDev -21.4%

a: plain pint glass, diluted urine yellow, fizzy bone-white head

s: a teaspoon of pale grain steeped in water

m: fizzy highish carbonation, thin watery body

t: primarily water with some watery grain and watery rice, no hops, weak bitterness, weak

d: yes

not recommended, most definately should be classified as light

2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

Got some Trader Joes beer to review...

This comes in plain packaging with plain labels, it reminds me of generic BEER and maybe this is what generic beer tasted like.

App: Typical, average, generic, beer.

Smell: Corn, hops, it smells better than Busch but that doesn't say much, Busch has more of an alcohol smell.

Mouth: Average. A little buttery, a bit metallic, light carbonation.

Taste: When my brother and I drank this at his cabin during a bonfire, he pretty much summed it up. "Okay, but nothing to make me want another. " I have to agree. Yes, the adjunct flavor is less noticeable, and the flavor and alcohol texture are okay, but even for 3.99 a six, nothing makes me want this again.

Drinkability: Ordinary. A 12 of Pabst or even Genesee has more flavor. Spend a little more. Nice gimmick though. Kinda like Totally Dirt Cheap Beer.

2.4/5  rDev -18.4%

My roommate bought this and stuck it in our beer fridge. I'd never seen/heard of this or the brewery it came from before. Figured I'd crack one and give it a shot. Poured 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

It's Bud color. Greaaaat. No head to speak of, but some light lacing. Smells very light with slight sweetness. A bit better than Bud but not really by a huge margin.

Tastes like it's trying to emulate an American macro lager, but done slightly more classy (slightly). That sweetish corn/yuck flavor definitely hangs in the back of your throat after you swallow it, much like macro lagers do.

At first I thought the label was a gimmick and this would actually be an above average beer, but it's all false modesty. I would certainly take this over most pale American macros, but at the same time, if it costs even a dollar more than 6pk of Bud bottles, I wouldn't waste my time.

2.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks again to cdkrenz for sharing his beer hoard with me!

A - Pale straw yellow color with little to no white head. The head recedes quickly leaving absolutely no lacing. Rather high in carbonation.

S - The usual suspects for this beer style. A bit biscuity with a cooked corn aroma. Not a real appealing aroma.

T & M - Very light bodied, the corn adjunct is the main player in terms of flavor. The heavy carbonation gives it a rather coarse mouthfeel. Heavy carbonation + light body = nothing to be particularly proud of as a brewer.

D - This is a craft beer with a fancy label, but the brew itself is not much greater than the likes of your common BMC beer. Not recommended, but then again, I would never recommend an American Adjunct Lager anyways.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Pale yellow body atop a head that faded so fast I can't tell you about it.

S - If you like the musky aroma of soap you'll love this beer.

T - Mild lightly roasted grains, if they're roasted at all. This is not something I will recommend or sample again anytime soon.

M - It goes down as well as it should. Well enough to be consumed. I will say this though. This is the best quality this brew has.

~ I'm sorry but there not something here that would make me run at this brew again. It's too sweet and lacks character for it to one that I would put my name on.

2.57/5  rDev -12.6%

Clear yellow beer, no head. Bad aroma, not quite sweet corn, but meh.

Similar taste to adjuncts, nothing negative to speak of aside from that it is just lacking much taste, but does not contain off putting taste like the truly bad shit does. Make no mistake, there is truth in advertising, as this comes off completely ordinary.

Decent carbonation keeps the mouthfeel lively despite the lack of ingredients. Cheap, but BMC has an advertising budget, so this is similarly priced why? I dunno, can't see what niche this fits into. . . I mean, at least Keystone Light has Keith Stone. This is just the same kind of beer but at an edgy, earthy grocery store.

2.62/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ended up with this bottle from cleanup for a party I was helping serve at. Purchased at Trader Joes. Pours a pale golden with almost no head. Smells sweet and a little acrid with noticeable adjuncts. There are some earthy/spicy hops in small amounts noticeable as well. Taste is light and with notes of cereal grain and light hops and a soapy finish. Slightly bigger bodied than many macro lagers, but still not much of a beer. This ones not for me, but you could do worse for the price.

2.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a light straw gold color, with a small white head. It just smells like some grain and sweet malt, but the aroma isn't strong at all. The taste is a bit sweet, sour and bitter at the same time. It tastes a lot like grain/adjuncts and a bit of malt. It doesn't taste bad, but then it doesn't exactly taste great either. Mouthfeel is light, but not too watery. Drinkability is OK, it's not too bad to drink. I've certainly drank much worse beers. This is just an average macro lager, but then I can't expect too much for buying a single bottle of this at Trader Joe's for 67 cents.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clearer golden than Bud Light with about an inch of thin bodied, white head.
Smell is pretty non-descript, some grain in there a bit.
Very bland tasting. There is smattering of hops at the end of it, but for the most part there isn't much to it.
Finish is crisp, but there is little after-taste other than some grain.
Drinks very smoothy, but this is a result of little taste.

2.82/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a pale clear yellow with no lasting head. Smell is lightly sweet malt, honey and hay like. taste is thin, but crisp, sweet and cereal like. Mild bitterness but ends sweet. Bubbly mouthfeel with no off flavors and better than expected. Drinkable.

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked up at Trader Joe's in cary, NC this past weekend for the unbelieveable in this day and age price of eighty two copper portraits of The Great Emancipator. This would have to be truly horrible to not be worth it..

Pours an light straw color with an abundance of uppity carbonation bubbles bouncing around but no head to speak of. Nose is grainy but nearly nonexistent.

Tastes almost like a light beer in flavor and mouthfeel but does feature a chemically sweet finish that knocks the score back a half a notch. Still, its relatively clean and satisfying and apart from the artificial sweetness pretty inoffensive too.

Drinkable in quantity or heat and the price is definitely right. Perfect for the week before payday.

Frugal Joe's Ordinary Beer from Steinhaus Brewing Co.