Fat Weasel Ale - Steinhaus Brewing Co.

Fat Weasel AleFat Weasel Ale

Steinhaus Brewing Co.

American Strong Ale |  7.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Weasel Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +45.5%

Maybe I was just thirsty (who am I kidding...I was parched), but I drank this straight from the bottle, and I loved it!

The taste, the smell, the mouth-feel, the drinkability...all "good" to "exceptional".

Of all the 'Micro-Brews' I have come across in different regions of this country...I would put this one in my top 10.

Since I drank it out of the bottle, I didn't get to see the beer----but taste is far more important to me. (but I rated the appearance at "average", because my review would not load without something in that field)

4.33/5  rDev +43.9%

Fat Weasel Ale has a thin, white head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is of pungent, semi-sweet bread crust, vegetable oil, and some hop resin. Taste is of sweet, white bread crust, moss, malt, and nice hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium and somewhat slick, and Fat Weasel Ale finishes semi-dry, easy drinking, and delicious. Only a bit of the alcohol shines through.

RJT

4.18/5  rDev +38.9%

Note:
My bottle says, "brewed and bottled by River Trent Brewery Co., Ukiah, CA." I don't know if the brewery has changed or if only the name has changed. The bottle is identical to the picture on this page.

Pours a medium golden yellow with a small white head that melts to fine lacing and then nothing.
Aromas of sweet malt and bready yeast...warm dinner rolls.
Taste is sweet malt and a balanced sharp hop bite afterwards...not really bitter...just sharp, clean and drying.
Aftertaste is of the crisp hops.
This is a beer you can drink lots of in an afternoon and find yourself in big trouble. The 7.1% alcohol is totally hidden.
So be warned...this is an American Strong Ale that is very well disguised as a mild APA

4.12/5  rDev +36.9%

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

I picked up a sixer of this at Trader Joe's in downtown Chicago for a paltry $5.99.

A - Vibrant gold with only a hint of haze. This one has a small but persistent white cap and only leaves a tiny bit of lace on the glass. Not really a looker, in she?

S - Oh, that's not what I expected at all. I picked this up in a hurry on a quick errand before checking in to our hotel, and I knew nothing about the beer other than that I've never tried it or even heard of it before... and it was $5.99. Upon smelling this one, I was pleasantly surprised to smell quite a large amount of booze and a hay-like farm note that had me thinking that maybe this is a Belgian strong pale ale (one of my favorite styles). This isn't as complex as a BSPA, but it does have the horsepower.

T - Graham crackers, freshly mowed hay, and booze. This has a candi sugar flavor to it that I suspect is from the high octane recipe, but its not overly sweet or goopey. This is, in fact, very taught and attenuated, and the flavors are simple but honest. It does have a bit of a Belgian pale ale hop profile though... I wonder if thats what they were going for?

M - Big, strong, and firm. Oh tsssstop it silly! Seriously though, this is a big bastard of a beer.

D - It tastes like a really high quality malt liquor, and I mean that as a compliment. This tastes like what strong brew should taste like, but I can't help thinking that maybe this should be in the BSPA category... thats just the flavor profile that I'm getting. Not bad stuff, honestly. I'd buy it again at this price, but put it on the same $$ shelf as Duvel and there is no contest.

Very refreshing on a hot day!

3.93/5  rDev +30.6%

Ok, Ok, this beer is nothing to write home about... untill you look at the pricetag! 5 bucks for a 6 of this bad boy... and 7% ABV. Sign me up.

Want to hear something totally out of line? I think my favorite way to drink this one is on a hot muggy DC summer evening in a glass with plenty of ice cubes. Crazy, I know.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

Hazy golden color with a low-moderate off-white head. Poured fairly thick with slow bubbles and good carbonation. Fruity and light hop aroma at first give way to all malt and grains. Very malty grainy flavor -- Helles/Mai-Bock like for an ale. Medium-full bodied and smooth with a warming alcohol finish.

Tasted fresh a while back and older this time but age did not appear to affect it much due to the ABV.

Assuming this is contract brewed at August Schell since the label states New Ulm, MN.

Date on neck: 02344
Tasted: 09/06/04

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

9/3/2010 - I'm adding a review. This review is of a one year cellared bottle that was kept at less than 45 degrees.

A - One and a half inches of foamy eggshell colored head. Decent stamina on top of a moderately carbonated body of pale yellow. (3.5)

S - Light grain aroma but nothing much here. (2.5)

T - Malty with a very subtle hop presence in the beginning. As the brew finishes there's a deeper hop flavor that offers a bitter taste. The middle and end have a more sweet malty flavor almost that of apricot and bread. It has the cereal flavor of Grape Nuts, and I love Grape Nuts, especially sprinkled with some sugar. This is a tasty brew. (4.5)

M - Thick and filling. This is a chewy and heavy brew that should not be taken for granted. (4.0)

~ I think this beer has increased in overall quality since having been cellared for a year. While the aroma and looks are generally the same. The flavors and feel are real standouts and should be recognized for being so. (4.0)

~~~
11/6/2009 - Original Review.

A - Golden brown body with two plus inches of fasted paced eggshell colored head. There's allot of action in the body too. (3.5)

S - Malt and grains reminding me of Western Wisconsin and Eastern Minnesota. (3.0)

T - It has an almost fruity wheat taste to it. There's certainly an alcohol flavor here but it doesn't overwhelm the brew. It has a slight bitter hops taste that comes in midway through each pull and lasts through the end. (4.0)

M - The feel is relatively light considering the different flavors going on here. It goes down well but I'm not sure yet how it will sit. (3.5)

~ I like this beer. I think its a real easy to drink, light colored brew that I would probably drink more often if I could locate some closer to Central Wisconsin. My lovely wife was kind enough to bring back a six pack for me on a recent trip she took to Northern Illinois. Thanks Hun. (4.0)

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured from the bottle a crystal clear lemon yellow topped with a bright white head.

Aroma of sweet grains and light malts along with a touch of white grapes and lemon.

The taste is much like the aroma with sweet grains and malts upfront along with light lemon and an herbal fruitiness.

Lighter bodied, slightly sticky, and moderately carbonated.

I found this to be a nice drinkable brew for the summer patio.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A. Pretty standard clear pale yellow with less than a finger head that did not stick around. No lacing, but nice trickle of bubbles.

S. Not much to speak of. Faint and slightly sweet.

T. Way better than the aroma. Very balanced. A little sweet and tart with a dry, slightly bitter finish. Nice alcohol warming.

M. Moderate carbonation. Not chewy or thick. It is quite refreshing considering its 7.1 ABV.

I will definatly buy this again. A great beer when I don't want a rich hefe or Belgian ale which are my preference.

3.78/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured a crystal clear golden colcor with modest white head. Poor retention but nice sticky lacing.

Smell is light, almost to the point of non-existant.

Taste shows a nice fruity sweetness. The is enough hop presence to balance the malt weel. The alcohol is so well hidden that I could not believe it is 7.1%.

Imparts a lingering sweetness that leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth.

Well done beer, way too easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The fat weasel beer is nothing special but for the price it's totally solid. Trader Joes carries it for $6. It has a good golden color. It pours with very little head. The drinkability of this inexpensive strong ale wins it for me. The taste is a little sweet but solid.

3.73/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Thin-bodied brown in color. A bit of fizzy carbonation and some foam and lacing.

Smell: Some strong fruit, and that's about it. A pleasant smell that I'm guessing hides the alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fruity malt initially, followed by a bitter IPA-like hoppiness.

Overall Drinkability: Not an amazing beer, but it hits some nice flavor notes that provides a good balance.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

another good ol' single from trader joes. the label looks pretty stupid. watchin' hardcore pawn on tv but it's a repeat so i'm doing a review. :)

serving type: in bottle as always
appearance: dunno
smell: hops, citrus. like an ipa
taste: citrus and malt. finishes very clean without too much bitterness.
mouthfeel: regular. maybe a slight bit better.
drinkability: pretty drinkable actually. i'm not much of an ale fan but i'd drink this again.

i like the small bottle. reminds me of the henry weinhard's bottles.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - clear golden with shades of orange. paler than I'd image an American strong ale. 1 finger head that dies down to paper thin. undesirable soap sud type bubbles

S - dark fruit, complex fruity yeast, bread,

T - Not as much depth as the nose suggests, but very nice. hints of dark fruit, a forward grain husk and straw, some yeast makes its presence known, hop bitterness definitely there to not only balance but also add slightly piney, sharp but not powerful bitter flavor.

Overall- I wouldn't believe this beer cost $1.30/bottle! Not Arrogant Bastard (the pinnacle of American Strong Ales) but for the price, it's worth having a 6 pack of these around.

3.6/5  rDev +19.6%

Fat Weasel Ale from Steinhaus Brewing Co.