Mission St. Brown Ale - Steinhaus Brewing Co.

Mission St. Brown AleMission St. Brown Ale

good

Steinhaus Brewing Co.

American Brown Ale |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: tapman on 06-15-2010

Ratings: 201 | Reviews: 115
4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

I bought a bomber of Mission Street Brown Ale in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a garnet red color, clear with a creamy beige head.

Smell is sweet as candy, caramel and toffee.

Taste is very good, a sweet malt flavor with mild bitterness.

A creamy smooth mouthfeel.

Over all a very good brown ale.

4.49/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Trader Joe's just got this back in stock Missed it a good ale good price a nighttime beer

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%

So pleased this is back in stock at Trader Joe's. What a stupendous deal at two bucks. My go to brown ale. The Anniversary blend version is even better. My eyes will stay peeled for that.

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was the color of coca-cola and poured a colored big bubble head. The beer smelled like nougat. It had a rich wonderful taste that was a little sweet but not too bad. It was like a liquid candybar. I will buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Smell is of lightly carmelized malt and minimal hops. The flavor is satisfying, somewhat sweet but not cloying, distinct caramel elements. Nicely balanced, full-bodied but still refreshing.

I was always a big fan of Newcastle when I was in the UK for a while, but the clear bottles tend to result in metallic skunk flavor once it arrives in the US. This is how I remember Newcastle but maybe a tad better. Very drinkable and a great deal at $1.99 for 22 oz.

4.16/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a 16 oz champaign flute. It has a lovely 2-3 cm tan head which settles down to nice lacing. The color is a lovely medium brown that shows some ruby color when held up to intense light. The aroma is rich and beautiful--malt, ripe fruit, and some hops. The first sip was amazing and blew me away--the flavor is a rich, complex blend of nutty maltiness, balanced hops, a bit of mocha, and some figs. Drinking this at room temperature (68 degrees in the winter) really opens up the rich aroma and flavor. The aftertaste is a delightful mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium thick and creamy. Overall this is an outstanding brown ale--I was really pleased and surprised by it.

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

A very good brown ale, nutty, malty and smooth. I rather like this beer and am tempted to push my scores up even higher. This beer pours a nice ruby color with a creamy, ecru head. Transparent. The aroma is molasses, caramel, nutty malt, mild prunes, cocoa and a faint citrus hop note. The flavor is nutty and moderately sweet, quite appropriate for the style, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is quite creamy, nearing oatmeal stout territory. For my money, Firestone nailed these two new Mission St. beers. These bottles are excellent values for good, fresh hefe and good, malty brown ale.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice tan head that retains well and leaves nice lacing. The aroma has a nice caramel and molasses sweetness upfront, along with some minerals, a floral hoppiness, tobacco, burnt bread, dark fruits and a little alcohol. The flavor has some burnt bread upfront, along with caramel and molasses, dark fruits, minerals, floral hops, and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is light and drinkability is excellent. A tasty and drinkable brown ale, another winner from Mission St.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsner glass.

Appearance: Cola color with a small brown-hued head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind floating foam.

Smell: Sweet roasted aromas and a slight nutty hint. Smells good, but the nose is rather weak.

Taste: Starts off with a tea-like sweetness, finishing with a sweet caramel and nut flavor. Very mild hop hints at the end give the bitterness of citrus peel.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation and a very sticky finish.

Drinkability: This is a very tasty, drinkable, and sessionable beer, and at under $3 from Trader Joe's, this is a beer I may have around quite frequently from now on.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

I love doing my shopping at Trader Joe's and could not pass up on a 220z bomber for $1.99. That's a pretty good deal for a brown ale.

Pours deep brown body with ruby hues and accents. Slightly vigorous pour into Stone IRS glass gives it a very nice ivory colored two finger cap with modest retention and a abundance of lacing. Lacing lasted the entire session, or bomber by others standards.

Aroma is of course well malted. Robust overtones of caramel and biscuit, and a hint of butterscotch make up the meaty portion of the nose. I also pull in some nice earthy hop undertones. This is a pretty straight forward aroma for a brown ale. Dark and earthy is the ticket.

The opening flavors are of rich sweet caramel, with a nice breadiness akin to a Dubbel style about mid palate. The hops are there and can be felt with a nice affirming bitterness that plays incredible well with this brews sweeter notes. Hops are more earthy and leafy and bring up some flavors of ripe orange. This is a nice addition and adds just one more layer of complexity to a already surprising beer.

Mouthfeel was freaking incredible. This has a change mouthfeel from start to finish of each sip. Starts out creamy and rich medium bodied, and slowly gives way to crisp and light in the finish. That's really hard to accomplish, and I've had few beers that have been able to really pull it off. The carbonation character is just about right, as I usually like my brown ales to be slightly less carbonated than other styles. This might account for its velvety mouthfeel

Drinkability is the pinnacle of this beer. Great tasting, easily accessible, and great price tag is a beer home run in my book.

P.S. I was not expecting much, but was incredibly surprised that a beer this well crafted could be found at such a low price. And to think that I was gonna pass it up!

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Served Lightly Chilled (mid 50s degrees F / ~ 13°C; Sampled June 2010
A solid pour into my New Belgium globe glass produces a fat-two-finger thick, amber tinged, full tan colored head. The beer is a dark brown color with red notes to it around the edges. When held up to the light it shows a brilliantly clear, dark cranberry color. The aroma smells of a nice mix of toasted malt, bright fruit notes and touches of caramelized malts. The fruit character produces berry like aromatics that reminds me of a mix of cranberries, currants and perhaps a hint of orange zest; these aromas seem to come from a mix of hop character and ale fermentation character, but are fairly light overall, i.e. I would not describe this as a hoppy Brown Ale. The malt plays the more dominant role here with a chewy, though dry seeming, light roast / ample toasted grain character

A firm bitterness couples with a light malt sweetness that has a full caramelized malt character as well as some browned / lightly roasted malt flavors and bitterness. The beer is quite light bodied and quaffable, though it does have some residual malt body that makes this just chewy enough. There is a touch of herbal hop character that contributes a touch of menthol and some pine, but there is actually more fruity hop character here than I was expecting, despite my noticing it in the aroma; flavors of orange zest, citrus oil, a touch of tangelo as well as some smooth lychee like hop flavors and even some peach like flavors are all noticeable. The caramelized malt character that is typical of the style, when combined with the hop notes, brings out flavors of currants and berries. There is really just enough malt sweetness here to accentuate the fruit flavors, but not so much that this beer isn't able to finish dry and drinkable. As the beer warms and my palate adjusts the malt character becomes more dominant and nicely nutty.

The malt and the hops end up being quite balanced in there contributions here. This will obviously get more malt oriented as it ages, but I like the hop character (especially the fruity notes) that this has right now; it nicely compliments the toasted malt and helps to balance the caramelized malt character. This beer is quite clean tasting with no real noticeable off flavors; I like that the malt character isn't muddled or overly harsh (which can happen in some roast influenced beers). I also like that the nose is a touch more malt focused, while the flavor is a touch more hop focused, it keeps things interesting somehow. This is definitely very enjoyable and the 22oz serving size is perfect for a nice session.

Hard to get terribly excited about a brown ale if it stays true to style- a workhorse sort of beer. This is quite pleasant - moderate, slightly nutty, roasted malt. Goes a little tart toward the end, but finishes clean. A hunk of brown bread, some sharp cheddar cheese and this beer would be a nice pairing.

22 ounce bottle - $2.49 at Trader Joe's in Roswell, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, brown body with some amber-hinted edges and layered with a light tan head.

Smell: Malty mélange of well toasted loaf bread, ground nuts, chocolate powder, caramelized sugars, and a splash of mild coffee. Notably fruity throughout.

Taste: Sweet malts, moderately nutty, toasty and with a solid taste of cocoa powder and lighter touch of burnt sugars. Steadfast fruitiness. Restrained hop character, though it yields some hints of herbs and citrus. Modest bitterness. Smidgen of roastiness. Drying, nutty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A good, malty, yet well-balanced brown at a good, sensible price. Paired as a nice contrast to the black bean and pumpkin soup I made this evening.

This is one of my wife's favorites! Its a good effort from MS (brewed through Firestone Walker in Paso Robles).

The 22oz Bombers are a great value for an American Brown at TJ's! You actually can do a lot worse at that store, so do yourself a favor and get a bomber.

Its brown, slightly hoppy, and utterly delicious! Is it the best American Brown I have ever had? NO!

But for the QPR, (sportscrazed2 said it best) you won't find better in this format-- that is the truth!

Drink fresh, drink often!

3.99/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber (seriously amber if held to the light) with a tan-ish big fluffy head that leaves a bit of soapy lace around the glass.

Smell: Caramel and slight hints of toffee/fruity chocolate and maybe even hints of oats. The vanilla flavors and a slightly pecan flavoring start coming through as it warms.

Taste: Starts with a big bunch of caramel. Ass your tongue cuts underneath there is definitely a pecan pie flavor going on (the caramel-toffee-nutty flavor). The flavor stays strong throughout unlike many thin brown ales and the brew finishes sweet and nutty.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and slick with a medium body.

Drinkability: I'm definitely into this one, it's a great easy drinker and matches perfect with a burger or some other grilled meat. The price is pretty decent, I just wished they'd have this in a 6 pack. Quality (not mind blowing) brown.

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a pretty decent budget beer. I mean $3 for a 22, c'mon. A Heinie 22 costs more and is so, so much worse. I think reviewers need to take value into consideration. This isn't aiming to be an award winning beer, but a quality beer at BMC pricing.

Anyhow, that out of the way:

A: Pours a nice deep brown. Tiny, tiny head with an average pour, not much lacing to speak of. Above average, especially considering the price range.

S: Malt dominates...and wow, 22oz, $3, and it has detectable malt? That's good in my book.

T: I'd like the chocolate malt to be more pronounced than it is, but still a decent tasting beer overall, and, again, spectacular when you factor in value.

M: On the thin side for a beer this dark, a bit heavier than Newcastle. Nice though if you're having more than one.

O: A solid brew by any measure, and a real standout in this price segment. Buy it if you like browns and you're on a budget or throwing a party...or even for the hell of it. You won't be disappointed.

3.93/5  rDev +12%

I wanted to love this beer. Brown Ales are my favorite kind of beer, you see, so I take them seriously. What's more, I'm hunting for an American-made one that will be cheap and fresh so that I can quit hurting my wallet on Newcastle and Samuel Smith's.

Things started off perfectly with a vigorous head leaving a proud crown of thick foam as I quaffed. Lacing is perfect.

The smell is that of the finest brown ales. Nutty.

But when it gets in my mouth--was this Brown Ale meant to be served at cellar temperature? I guess not--I can tell it comes from the west coast of the United States which is by no means a bad thing (*I* come from the West Coast), but doesn't help me with my quest. You see, the nutty flavor is there, but it is interfered with by an overly hoppy taste--and indeed of the wrong kind of hops, I think.

The mouthfeel is thin and a bit spicy.

I could drink a lot of this for the price, but I don't love it. I like it, though.

3.93/5  rDev +12%

I appreciate tenderbanson69 for sharing this bomber with me -enjoyed chilled in a pint glass.

A deep bronze shade with translucent clarity and thin cap of tan with tight bead and good retention with stringy lace on the glass. The smell has a malty nutty roasted scent with slight bready tinge and light yeast fruitiness.The feel is nicely balanced with toasted texture and moderate carbonation with medium full body and tinge of yeast with slight spice of hops and gentle tanginess with semi-dry finish and balanced malt and hops throughout.

The taste has a dry toast flavor with mild bitterness and subtle breadiness from the yeast with mild dried fruit and hints of herbal hops. As the beer warms slightly you get more of a coffee taste with subtle acidity and more roast which never gets to forward even into the finish which has a light woody essence. Overall I enjoyed this more than I expected as it is very malt forward, yet still has plenty of balance from the hops which I like. The yeast is a nice anchor to the flavor of the slight roastiness and it is very pleasant to drink -I recommend it for the price.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Bought at Trader Joes/ $1.99 for a 22 oz bottle. Served in standard pint glass

Opaque brownish/black. Clear?

Highly drinkable, smooth but flavorful. Nice toasted malt aroma and flavor. Not hoppy or bold or particularly interesting, but given high score since this is a very fine brown ale.

Tasted good both cold and at about 60F.

3.91/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a bomber into a small tumbler

A-Pours a white, fluffy head that diminishes quickly. Glass held up to the light reveals exactly as it is defined...dark brown.

S-Not much going on with the nose, but caramel and malt are most prominent.

T-Roasty and malty in equal amounts. Smooth and very well balanced. Not overwhelming to the palate in any way...easy drinking.

M-Good carbonation, not overdone and not underdone...just right. For a brown ale, I would classify it as very refreshing.

O-For the price (~$4 for a 22oz bottle) and the ABV (5.7%), it is an exceptional value for a beer of this stature. I have yet to try a Mission St. brew I have yet to decry and recommend this to all who might stumble upon it (most probably in a Trader Joe's).

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Honestly wasn't expecting much after trying the Trader Joes Vintage Ale. For the price of the bomber it's pretty hard to complain about this beer. Taste is somewhat coffeeish with a slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery and astringent. Honestly can't detect much on the nose maybe pine trees and citrus is the closest description I can come up with. Overall for $2 a bomber you aren't going to get anything better.

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

Bought at Trader Joe's in Boston. I like their selection of low price yet quality beers. It was this Canadian's first time at a TJ's, and I will return.

A - Pours a mid-deep gold color. Nice creamy head that floated on top for a few minutes, then it turned into a skim of foam. The lacing was pretty throughout.

S - My nose is not as well trained as I would like, but the aroma on this beer was solid: malt, caramel, some roasted nuts, big hops.

T - Right off the top: nice bitters with roasted malt in the background. Some roasted nuts, although I couldn't say what kind (peanut, cashew, acorns?) The finish is longer than I would have expected, and is quite fine.

M - Good. What can I say, except I like it. It is still buzzing on my palate as I write, and I am only half way through the glass.

O - In terms of drinkability, or would I have another, YES. This is a good beer, especailly for the price.

Love the bomber size.

3.87/5  rDev +10.3%

The last wedding anniversary I may ever celebrate brought me this ann. gift.

Poured from the bomber into a full pint glass. An inch of off white head. Leaving thick sticky full coverage lace and solid cap.
Color is mostly a dark brown with ruby highlights.
Smelling delicious is an understatement. Plenty of malt, sweet and delicious with a mild roasty character. Cereal grains alos coming forward, grape nuts flakes are the front runner here. Smelling absolutely delicious and fresh. I could take in pull after pull of aroma and even have to drink it, its that enjoyable on the nairs.
Taste mimicking aroma nicely. Sweet delicious malt, cereal grains and through the middle a robust semi roasted grain flavor. Pairing well with a mild bitter hop. Finishes robust now with a touch of coffee, chocolate and roasted grains. Mild hop bitters as well.
Great representation of the style, aroma takes the cake and provides the most satisfaction.

3.86/5  rDev +10%

$1.99 at Trader Joe's. Poured into a Weizen glass. Apparently brewed by Firestone Walker.

Looks good; pours a nice mahogany with a decent, lasting head. Smells interesting with malt, hops, toffee and leather.

A very drinkable brown; nice carbonation. Not over-the-top but enough to make it substantial enough for a pleasant quaff.

I wish the label was more pro - looks cheap.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a clear brown with red hues. Thin tan head. No lacing.

Aroma of malty toasty sugars. Nothin else really.

Taste is ok. Solid brown. Slightly sweet with a resinous bite in the finish. It's tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. Good carb.

Overall there is not much to be said about this beer. It's a pretty good brown but nothin special. I would have it again if someone brought one over but I don't know if I would buy it when there are so many awesome beers avaliableto me.

Mission St. Brown Ale from Steinhaus Brewing Co.