Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 - Steinhaus Brewing Co.

Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013

Steinhaus Brewing Co.

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: crob3888 on 03-29-2013)
Reviews by YieldToNothing:
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

YieldToNothing, May 06, 2013

EvolutionAles, Jun 11, 2013

ste5venla, May 26, 2013

InfernoBoss, Jun 10, 2013

mdaschaf, Aug 29, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep ruby-brown, with a thick, foamy head of off-white bubbles. Lace is thin and wispy but present.

Nose is malty and rich right off the bat. There's accents of maple syrup, dried and candied fruit, and toffee.

Taste is rather sweet and echoes the above. I get more toffee and candied fruit alongside a strong alcohol presence. This is certainly a big beer that's best to share.

A great value (bomber was around $3 at Trader Joe's in Chicago), but not one I'd dare to drink solo again!

secondtooth, Aug 11, 2013
2.31/5  rDev -33.4%

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours like a brown ale with a moderate head, slightly cloudy. Slightly phenol aroma. Flavor is uh, not good. Muddled malt flavors and a cloying candy sweetness. Low carbonation. This beer is like everything I don't like about an American Brown Ale and everything that can go wrong with a brown ale did go wrong.

I recommend against at any price. If I'm going to drink cheap beer I'd prefer *less* flavor -- less opportunity to foul up.

hreb, Jun 01, 2013

Lucho, Jan 15, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Bomber poured into a large wine glass, this years anny beer shows deep brown, clear and with ruby highllights. Nice cap of foam and decent retention follow. Dubbed an 'Imperial Brown Ale' this year and coming in at the same 8.5% as the last two years.

Some ruddy hops and notable caramel notes on the nose along with dried fruits; plum, raisan and a touch of alcohol as well. Touch of woodiness at times.

Flavor is somewhat sweet yet not in a singular way, offering a fairly complex delivery of malt flavors. Finishes with a grainy and spicy sweetness, bit of cinnamon and cherry diffused into the mix. Fairly long finish is pleasant enough. Nice feel and carbonation, bit of higher alcohols present. Overall more of a standard strong ale than an Imperial Brown and surely not too Red in flavor. A quandary of sorts, yet a decent one.

HalfFull, May 31, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Lanstrum, Jul 14, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle explaining the beer's roots. Clear dark brown with a sizable head that fades after a few. Notes of chocolate and mocha. Coffee and caramel. Hops are mild and earthy. Flavor follows suit with lots of roasted grains that add some depth. Dryish finish with earth and roasted grains. Lighter mouthfeel than the abv would suggest. Smooth somewhat silky feel and carbonation. For the price a decent imperial brown.

scootny, Jul 03, 2013

Bluegrass49, Jun 16, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark reddish orange amber with a thin, very light tan head that dissipated quickly to a ring around the glass. Light aroma of dark and bready malt, molasses, a hint of vanilla and dark fruit. Flavor of dark fruit, melded light toasted and bready malt, nuts, faint chocolate. Finish is thin and slightly astringent. Medium bodied. This tastes pretty much as it is described on the label: a combination of several ales including a porter. Flavor is pleasant enough, but sweet, light and a bit muddled. A bit of alcohol bite in the finish. Totally fulfills its purpose as an inexpensive pleasant strong ale, but breaks no new ground.

LiquidAmber, Apr 20, 2013

WeisGuy, Apr 27, 2013

bca115, Jul 09, 2013

alwaysplayin, Apr 08, 2013

freduardo, Jun 14, 2013

jorgerod99, Nov 03, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Steinhaus Brewing Company's Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 a couple months ago for $3.50 at Trader Joe's. I've heard that some of these Trader Joe's beers aren't that bad and for $3.50 a bomber I thought I would give it a chance, so let see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a foiled brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it still has a nice look to it and it had some nice information on it. It poured a nice slightly darker brown color that had some crimson hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and didn't leave much lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but the lacing was a little weak.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like aroma followed by a good amount of malts that impart some grainy, bready, caramel and toffee like aromas. Up next comes a good amount of dark fruits that have a nice juicy aroma to them and raisins seems to stick out the most. Up next I get a lighter yeast like aroma with some nutty aromas in the background. The aroma is nice and well balanced, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, caramel, and slight toffee like aroma followed by some dark fruits that have a nice juicy flavor to them with plums seems to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight yeast flavor followed by a nice nutty flavor that helps round off this beer. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with just a little bit of tartness taking it's place which threw me off a little and it had a malty and dark fruit like aftertaste. The taste was nice, it was pretty well balanced and I like the juicy dark fruit aspect.

M- Pretty smooth, well hidden alcohol, a little rich, creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer, it wasn't as heavy as I expected and I liked that.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and solid example of the style, it doesn't taste as big as most American Strong Ale's and it's a lot more subtle, but some of those signature flavors are still there and I don't think I would be able to tell that this beer was made of a blend of three different beers. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, not filling, the alcohol was well hidden and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a full bottle by myself and I wouldn't rule out having more than that since it's pretty damn smooth. What I liked the most about this beer was the dark fruit aspect, it had a nice juicy aspect to it that I don't get in many beers and I liked how the plum flavors stuck out. What i liked the least about this beer was the complexity, the flavors were nice, but I would have liked just a little more depth, maybe a little bit of smoked malts would have helped. I would buy this beer again, I enjoyed it and I think it's a great deal, it may be one of the best priced beers around and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good beer on a budget or fans of malt heavy beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't really what I expected, but I thought that made it unique and I can appreciate that. Good job guys, this is one solid beer and I have to give a hand to Trader Joes for offering a good beer at such a great price, I'll for sure be on the look out for more of their beers.

StoutHunter, Jul 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

liamt07, Aug 31, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle purchases several months ago at the Foggy Bottom/West End Trader Joe's in Washington D.C., unknown bottling date, poured into my FFF Teku glass, drank 9/30-10/1/13 over an hour:

A: 2/3 - deep amber-brown, minimal clarity, pours thickly with a rocky tannish head that subsides into a glass lacing

S: 8/12 - very muted aroma but, on warming, there are faint toffee, caramel and alcohol notes

T: 13/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a slight bitterness that quickly gives way to middle-of-the- mouth malt flavors that accompany the aroma --> toffee, caramel dried fruit (figs and dates especially); unfortunately, the sweetness is too cloying/overbearing for me suggesting either underattenuation or too high mash T; no diacetyl, no DMS or other off-flavors; 10-15 second aftertaste is mostly a turn-off

M: 3/5 - moderate bodied; appropriate carbonation for style; subtle booze for 8.5% ABV

O: 6/10 - I don't want to lambast this beer given it's supreme affordability but the cloying sweetness was not my speed; however, for $3-4 at your local Trader Joe's, it's hard to pass up at least once, but I doubt that I'll be returning for the 2014 iteration unless it's something different and/or special

TOTAL = 32/50

MNishCT77, Oct 01, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance- Not impressed with the head retention or lacing. Color is a dark, deep brown.
Smell- Nutty and raisiny.
Taste- Very toffee-like and raisin character to it.
Mouthfeel- Straight up medium.
Overall- Alright, I am revisiting this one for a third time so it is absolutely drinkable. The reason I am giving it a 5/10 is as follows: It is in a class of it's own being a blend of three different classes of ale. I'm betting the other beers that make this one up are better off drank straight than being combined into this concoction of a brew. I can drink it, but that's not saying too much. Cheers to those who do.

BeerAficionadoMCMXC, May 31, 2013

Picked up a 22 oz bottle at Trader Joe's, only cost $2.99, so even if this was an average beer, it would be a bargain. Luckily, it was a little better than average.

Appearance: The worst aspect of the beer. Dark brown with some copper hue, no head retention. Ends up looking boring. Nothing special.

Smell: Here we go. Some complexity. Sweet malts, dark fruits.

Taste: BAM. Lots of sugars, malts, and dark fruits. Slight hop bitterness which recedes as the beer warms. There's a lot of complexity here. Paired exceedingly well with pulled pork sandwiches. Good for sipping, like a fine wine. I bet it ages well after a year or two. Might have to pick up a couple bottles, the price is worth it for the taste alone. It's too bad the rest of the beer doesn't live up to this aspect. Some alcohol warmness which is always, always welcome.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly like champagne. Crispness is nice. Goes down easy.

Overall: It packs a punch thanks to the deceptive ABV. At 8.5%, a bomber does the trick and puts you in an exceedingly good mood. For the price, it's hard to find a better bargain I think. Though it's not hard to find a better beer. I'll pick up a couple more next time I'm at Trader Joes.

crob3888, Mar 29, 2013

Drknight, Jun 15, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this 22 ounce bottle from Trader Joes for $2.95 and I've got to say this is one heck of a great value.
Chilled to 50 degrees and Poured a tall wide glass. Dark, Dark brown with slight lacing and minimal head which dissipates rapidly.
Aroma is scant but gives a hint of a sweet malty grain.
Took a mouthful and my first impression was, 'Nice, slightly sweet, well balanced, thicker than standard, higher than average alcohol, and very drinkable".
A very nice beer. Allowed it to warm, sipping it along the way and it became more aromatic, tastier, and even more drinkable.
I finished it thinking, "Yeah Mission Brewery, JOB WELL DONE!!!"
I do not know how they can put out a brew this tasty, with such a high alcohol content, at such an affordable price.
Then I though, "How come so many other breweries can't"???
Job well done Mission Brewery, I applaud you.
I bought a case and will be aging some of this. I highly recommend this brew.

Belchmaster, Jul 21, 2013
Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 from Steinhaus Brewing Co.