Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 - Steinhaus Brewing Co.

Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013

Steinhaus Brewing Co.

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: crob3888 on 03-29-2013)

Stoutfan23DJ, Aug 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

SonOfOdin, Aug 16, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep ruby-brown, with a thick, foamy head of off-white bubbles. Lace is thin and wispy but present.

Nose is malty and rich right off the bat. There's accents of maple syrup, dried and candied fruit, and toffee.

Taste is rather sweet and echoes the above. I get more toffee and candied fruit alongside a strong alcohol presence. This is certainly a big beer that's best to share.

A great value (bomber was around $3 at Trader Joe's in Chicago), but not one I'd dare to drink solo again!

secondtooth, Aug 11, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed this bottle from a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Strong malty alcoholic aroma.

T: Tart and sweet malt up front followed caramel background.

M: full body and medium carbonation.

O: Decent brew – good flavors and aromas.

ckollias, Aug 10, 2013

jera1350, Aug 04, 2013

loupap, Jul 24, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this 22 ounce bottle from Trader Joes for $2.95 and I've got to say this is one heck of a great value.
Chilled to 50 degrees and Poured a tall wide glass. Dark, Dark brown with slight lacing and minimal head which dissipates rapidly.
Aroma is scant but gives a hint of a sweet malty grain.
Took a mouthful and my first impression was, 'Nice, slightly sweet, well balanced, thicker than standard, higher than average alcohol, and very drinkable".
A very nice beer. Allowed it to warm, sipping it along the way and it became more aromatic, tastier, and even more drinkable.
I finished it thinking, "Yeah Mission Brewery, JOB WELL DONE!!!"
I do not know how they can put out a brew this tasty, with such a high alcohol content, at such an affordable price.
Then I though, "How come so many other breweries can't"???
Job well done Mission Brewery, I applaud you.
I bought a case and will be aging some of this. I highly recommend this brew.

Belchmaster, Jul 21, 2013

Kahlstrom, Jul 16, 2013

DeezGunz14, Jul 16, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

Lanstrum, Jul 14, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Steinhaus Brewing Company's Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 a couple months ago for $3.50 at Trader Joe's. I've heard that some of these Trader Joe's beers aren't that bad and for $3.50 a bomber I thought I would give it a chance, so let see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a foiled brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it still has a nice look to it and it had some nice information on it. It poured a nice slightly darker brown color that had some crimson hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and didn't leave much lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but the lacing was a little weak.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like aroma followed by a good amount of malts that impart some grainy, bready, caramel and toffee like aromas. Up next comes a good amount of dark fruits that have a nice juicy aroma to them and raisins seems to stick out the most. Up next I get a lighter yeast like aroma with some nutty aromas in the background. The aroma is nice and well balanced, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, caramel, and slight toffee like aroma followed by some dark fruits that have a nice juicy flavor to them with plums seems to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight yeast flavor followed by a nice nutty flavor that helps round off this beer. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with just a little bit of tartness taking it's place which threw me off a little and it had a malty and dark fruit like aftertaste. The taste was nice, it was pretty well balanced and I like the juicy dark fruit aspect.

M- Pretty smooth, well hidden alcohol, a little rich, creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer, it wasn't as heavy as I expected and I liked that.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and solid example of the style, it doesn't taste as big as most American Strong Ale's and it's a lot more subtle, but some of those signature flavors are still there and I don't think I would be able to tell that this beer was made of a blend of three different beers. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, not filling, the alcohol was well hidden and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a full bottle by myself and I wouldn't rule out having more than that since it's pretty damn smooth. What I liked the most about this beer was the dark fruit aspect, it had a nice juicy aspect to it that I don't get in many beers and I liked how the plum flavors stuck out. What i liked the least about this beer was the complexity, the flavors were nice, but I would have liked just a little more depth, maybe a little bit of smoked malts would have helped. I would buy this beer again, I enjoyed it and I think it's a great deal, it may be one of the best priced beers around and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good beer on a budget or fans of malt heavy beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't really what I expected, but I thought that made it unique and I can appreciate that. Good job guys, this is one solid beer and I have to give a hand to Trader Joes for offering a good beer at such a great price, I'll for sure be on the look out for more of their beers.

StoutHunter, Jul 13, 2013

mtnwesdew, Jul 13, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep mahogany color in the tall Stella tulip. Quite handsome with the foam simmering down to a persistent cap with lots of tingle in the mouth, and plenty of lacing. Some nose of toffee and wood.

The flavor is a big Sugar Daddy with some hot alcohol. The body is thinner as you'd expect from the style, not unctuous like a Barley Wine. Burnt raisin toast is the other main flavor. The hops are on the earthy side, but fortunately they get lost in the general sweet maltiness and leave a trail of bitterness. This does get kind of old after some sipping. There is something like butter and bitter caramel in the back of the throat. Still, it's worth a late-night sip and the price is right.

mactrail, Jul 11, 2013

bca115, Jul 09, 2013

TimothyPH, Jul 07, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle explaining the beer's roots. Clear dark brown with a sizable head that fades after a few. Notes of chocolate and mocha. Coffee and caramel. Hops are mild and earthy. Flavor follows suit with lots of roasted grains that add some depth. Dryish finish with earth and roasted grains. Lighter mouthfeel than the abv would suggest. Smooth somewhat silky feel and carbonation. For the price a decent imperial brown.

scootny, Jul 03, 2013

GraduatedCashew, Jun 11, 2013

EvolutionAles, Jun 11, 2013

InfernoBoss, Jun 10, 2013

zeff80, Jun 05, 2013
Mission St. Anniversary Ale 2013 from Steinhaus Brewing Co.