Celis Raspberry - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis RaspberryCelis Raspberry

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 07-27-2003)

Rando23, Jul 22, 2012

Darker gold colored beer with a nauseating aroma of what smelled like sweet candied yams.Taste was the same candied yams.I rarely slam a beer and this is only the second beer in my life that I ever poured down the drain after the first taste.I would not recommend this beer to my worse enemy and may God have mercy on the souls of the people who created it.

matty, Jan 25, 2008

MButkus, Sep 02, 2012
1.02/5  rDev -64.9%

Sample at the Mondiale 2005: Poured a light reddish color ale with a bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma is totally dominated by fake raspberry cough syrup. The chemical smell is overpowering and gross. Taste is also exclusively dominated by this horrible smell. This is a shame that Celis name is attached to such a foul drink.

Phyl21ca, Jun 06, 2005
1.3/5  rDev -55.3%

Pours a slightly hazed peach color capped by a bone head head which rapidly disappears. Zero lacing.

The smell reminds me an awful lot like Flintstones chewable vitamins. Very hard to get past the odd medicinal smell.

Unfortunately that taste follows what started in the nose. It tastes like kindergarten, more Flintstones vitamins and sidewalk chalk. Fruit flavor is overly sweet and unappealing. I may not be able to distinguish what fruit was actually used if not for the label.

Light bodies but somewhat lacking in carbonation. Mouthfeel is rather chalky.

I did not go into this one expecting a great beer. From what I have enjoyed from MBC before they are usually solid. This one puzzles me. Very hard to enjoy and a chore to drink. I am glad that I have had other offerings from this brewery because if this was the first it would have been an awful impression.

kzoobrew, Nov 18, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -54.3%

Possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted. Bought as part of a Celis Variety case, and unfortunately there were 6 of these in the box. To be fair, the other 3 varieties weren't bad, but this stuff was just wrong. Poured a decent light purply color with a little too much carbonation and minimal head. Smelled like the worst cough medicine you ever had, and tasted about the same. One of the few beers I ever poured down the drain after a few mouth fulls. Tried 2 more bottles just in case I had a bad one, but those were just as bad. THe fruit taste was so strong and overwhelming it only resembled beer by the fact it had bubbles and alcohol in it.

rterry13, Feb 29, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -51.9%

my first raspberry wheat beer. Poured into an American pint glass. The beer is cloudy with moderate carbonation, it has a hazy light amber/pink color. The head slowly dies to nothing revealing a wheaty fruit chap-stick aroma. Faint hops are hiding in the back. Hmm, tastes like crap... There is a faint raspberry taste that appears to be from some sort of chemical additive that creates a horribly chemical mouthfeel. I don't feel very healthy drinking this beer. Almost a soapy, detergent-like feel.

This beer sucks, plain and simple

Rudgers73, Feb 26, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -48.5%

Jamesthebrit, Jan 28, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -47.4%

Good golden color, solid carbonation and white head, lasts. Light, faint smell of raspberries, the color on the bottle makes me imagine something synthetic and medicinal about it though.

Way too sweet, a totally non enjoyable taste. Maybe if you're one of those alternative lifestyle types who like gueze, but I don't swing that way. Stays thin, kinda hot for this kind of beer. Nothing I'd like to have again, pricey as well. Pass.

Beerandraiderfan, Oct 21, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -47.4%

Beer man Dan put's it pretty well definitely a glorified malt beverage. Appearance is slightly pink hazed golden hue with a vibrant quickly fleeting white head leaves behind specks of scattered lacing. Aroma strong chemical smelling raspberry tone they claim it's juice but this sent is screaming extract. Taste has a sharp acidity to it between the wheat and raspberry "juice" it puts me off immediately. Lacks balance or any other substantial wit flavors horrible offering at least the others were pretty good, 3 outta 4 aint' bad. Mouthfeel is sticky with residual sugars in this syrupy extract like creation doesn't come together well carbonation is spritzy. Drinkability is definitely cloying early on in the drinking experience I would steer away and I plan to myself.

WVbeergeek, May 06, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -44%

Cloudy purple brown colored liquid with a faintly purple tinged head on it. Hard to even describe this as a beer, looks more like sewage water.

Smell is Very sweet with a vanilla and berry smell. Can't say it smells like raspberry just a vague berry smell.

Starts out sweet with a cloying vanilla wafer flavor. Berry flavor is at best an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is a Drain Pour! YUCK IF you are looking for a beer that looks like sewage and tastes like old cookies, this is IT!.

Zorro, Oct 23, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -44%

Wow, I just had Michigan's Celis White and thought it was pretty decent; I knew I was going to have issues with this one as soon as I cracked the top. Poured a translucent straw with reddish-purple highlights. Fizzy pop carbonation, no sustainable head. It smells like raspberry flavored lip gloss and perfume. I sampled about 4 oz and determined it is indeed synthetic tasting garbage. I feel violated for sampling even 4 oz of this glorified malt beverage.

crookedhalo, Apr 22, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -40.5%

Had the displeasure of trying this on a recent trip to Detroit. Thank God we grabbed a sixer of Bell's Porter, too...

A - Hazy, golden color. A fizzy, quickly receding head of 2 fingers forms and leaves patchy lacing on the glass.

S - Cereal, sweet raspberries, a bit of a medicinal whiff at the end. Uh oh.

T - Sticky, cough syrup with articifial-tasting raspberry dominant. Some nondescript malt character, but no balancing hops, no distinguishing character of its own. Just awful.

M - Again, sticky cough syrup, and what carbonation there is is completely overwhelmed by the oil-slick body and sugary finish.

D - Forced myself to finish, but really wish I hadn't. The worst craft beer I've encountered.

AJacob81, Jul 02, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a light copper gold color with a white foamy 2 finger head with good retention. Smells of light scented raspberries. Tastes like watered down raspberries. If you are looking for a really good raspberry flavored beer, New Glarus Raspberry Tart would be my recommendation.

This beer isn't very good. Light bodied, thin, fair carbonation, poor drinkability. Nothing to get too excited about.

hardy008, Aug 18, 2009

valkyre65, Dec 09, 2011

Started off with a light orangey color, with a bit of a pinkish color to the quickly dissipating head. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.
The aroma immediately let me know something was off with this beer. It was very strong, but in an off-putting way. The aroma was mainly raspberry, but something was strange about it. Ah! Vanilla! That's what it is. The vanilla really throws me for a loop.
The flavor. Hmm, the best way I can describe it is when you add one of those flavored syrups to your coffee, and you put a pump or two too many in there, it throws off the balance.
The label says "Malt Beverage with Raspberry Juice Added," and I guess that describes it, but it's not a good thing. I really like their Celis White, but this just didn't do it for me.

weasbri, Sep 14, 2006

dmorgan310, Feb 03, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer (?) is a reddish pink color and ... GASP has a pink head. The aroma was a musty smoky scent with a raspberry fruit hint in the background. The taste starts out with that musty smoke stuff. Then the raspberry comes thru followed quickly by a sour finish. Don't like the look, smell or taste of this. Is this some backyard attempt at a Lambic?? The label calls this a malt beverage with raspberry juice added. I'm kind of surprised "Celis" allows his name on this!

ybnorml, Sep 09, 2004
2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

I love the Celis beer line so it does pain me to leave this, less than stellar report. The aroma from this does indeed smell of a forced raspberry scent. They could not have used real berries when making this. The taste is straight up extract. This beer is basically Celis White with raspberry extract. Compared to the Celis White and Grand Cru...very disappointing.

Treborofmoria, Jun 29, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer poured from the 12oz bottle into my glass a light copper color. It is very clear, allowing me to see perfectly out of the other side of the glass. The head is white and very light and fizzy. The beer started with one finger of head, but this quickly dissipated, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top. Bubbles continuously rise to the top like champagne. This beer actually reminds me a lot of champagne.

The aroma is all fruit, with a strong smell of roses. I pick up only the slightest touch of malt and no hops to speak of. The smell is very artificial and not reminiscent of beer at all.

The flavor is all over the place. The strongest taste is roses. It reminds me of the rose scented soap my grandmother used to use. And not in a good way. There is a hint of hop flavor; I perceive it with anticipation. If that taste were to rise up and carry the roses this beer would be much beer. But the hops quickly back off leaving just a trace of bitterness on the back of the tongue. There is no raspberry here. This beer should be called Rose Beer.

The beer is light and only coats the tongue slightly, which is great because you can easily forget the flavor that way.

The alcohol in this beer is light, but that does not help the drinkability. I am so glad I got this as a single. I can choke one down, but I would have had to drain pour a six pack of this.

Ruslanchik, Nov 20, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Well, I'm sorry to say I was let down here, maybe my expectations were set too high???
Not a whole lot of Raspberry showing through- really about the only taste that I could pick out was a strange Musk/Coca smell & taste that I personally found WAY OFF! and will keep me from having another bottle of this. Some might like the odd flavor combination, but it just didn't sit well with me, again maybe my high expectations caused this poor review, but I don't know about this one....
(kinda would have been great to see them make a Lindeman's Framboise style?)

InandOutBeerGuys, Nov 05, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Bright peachy orange with a definite rosy hue. The softly creamy cap is ivory in color with contributions from pastel orange and pastel pink. I don't know that I've ever seen quite this combination of colors before in a glass of beer. The head lasts long enough to achieve respectability, but leaves no more than a few arching ribbons of lace.

The nose smells amazingly like orange-raspberry SweetTarts candy. Alternatively, it smells like children's chewable aspirin. How is it possible for beer to smell powdery, or to bring powdery substances to mind? Odd that. In any case, it smells nothing like good beer and will have to suffer the consequences.

Unfortunately, it tastes pretty much how it smells. I don't believe that I've ever had a beer quite like Celis Raspberry (and for that I'm thankful). As was the nose, the flavor is rampant with an artificial quality that is candy-like without being overly sweet. I'm not sure what the brewery did to get it to taste like this, but I wish they'd stop.

Tangy raspberry is identifiable, as is the same crushed, orange-flavored aspirin quality that was present in the nose. I'm sure that the greater than usual amount of fruit beer bitterness is contributing to the aspirin association in my mind. I'd like to see Celis Raspberry get a complete overhaul, because (as is) I can't even see it appealing to reluctantly beer drinking women.

I can't find too much fault with the body/mouthfeel. It weighs in at light-medium and holds up well throughout each mouthful. Even the amount of carbonation is to my liking. Too bad the flavor sucks.

I expected Celis Raspberry to be pretty good beer since I enjoyed Celis White and since I thought the two Michigan Brewing Company beers that I had in the past several weeks were enjoyable. The truth is though, this is one of the worst fruit beers that I've had in quite some time. Buyer (and drinker) beware.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 20, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -24.4%

A-Dark pink, like rose wine. with a small white head that leaves some lacing behind.

S-Some maltiness but the overwhelming presence of "fake" raspberries. Reminded me of St. Joeseph's Childrens Aspirin...and that is not good for a beer!

T-See above....WTF! Are there real raspberries in here or is it all extract? I really do not like this. It is barley above drinkable for me. I was hoping for something along the lines of a poor man's New Glarus Rasp. Tart....no such luck!

M-Medium carbonation with a light body.

D-I doubt I will ever want this again....I actually did not finish it. The sick sweetness was too overwhelming for me. I also did not appreciate the "fake" fruit tatse.

Deuane, Feb 08, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

A-Pours the color of liquefied grape jolly ranchers, a hazy pale purple, with a sickly white, purple tinged fluffy head. Soapy lacing.

S-Artificial fruit syrup sweetness, flaccid sludgy stale wheat aromas.

T/M-Soggy Captain Crunch. Not good. There's really not much to say about it. Like an even shittier version of Leinenkugel's, spiked with an expired bottle of Blue Moon. Gah.

O-No thank you.