Celis Raspberry - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis RaspberryCelis Raspberry

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rdub

2.93/5  rDev +0.7%

I really love raspberry beer and was excited to try this. The basics were all there but the raspberry tasted artificial to me. Drinkability was there as was mouthfeel and it certainly was easy to drink. I'd like to try this on tap to see if the artificial-ness of the fruit would go away.

05-15-2009 01:55:51 | More by rdub
ClockworkOrange

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into my shaker glass. Appears a clear golden copper color with barely a finger of off white head that sticks around not more than a few seconds. Smells and tastes of bread grains with a medium berry presence as well as crisp apples, Hawaiian sweet rolls, and metal. A bit thin bodied with medium carbonation.

05-05-2009 03:46:32 | More by ClockworkOrange
mlasher1

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Pale pink with a quickly disappearing head and no lacing
S- Smells basically of raspberries and banana/clove
T- Tastes pretty much like it smells
M- Thin and not much complexity, high carbonation
D- eh..not repulsive but not great..light body would lend itself to decent drinkability..

03-26-2009 01:37:22 | More by mlasher1
twiggamortis420

3.33/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a crystal clear (without the yeast) medium gold color with a fluffy white head that fades pretty quick. Leaves a nice collar and some decent lacing.

Smell is very much fruit forward - fresh smelling raspberries. Seems to have a wit-like backbone with some coriander and orange peel notes.

Yes, this is definitely a wit with raspberries added in. The fruit adds a tart sweetness to the spicy base brew...doesnt seem to work quite right. Pretty refreshing and crisp, I'd drink it again, but I like the Celis White better.

02-09-2009 02:59:54 | More by twiggamortis420
Ruslanchik

2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer poured from the 12oz bottle into my glass a light copper color. It is very clear, allowing me to see perfectly out of the other side of the glass. The head is white and very light and fizzy. The beer started with one finger of head, but this quickly dissipated, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top. Bubbles continuously rise to the top like champagne. This beer actually reminds me a lot of champagne.

The aroma is all fruit, with a strong smell of roses. I pick up only the slightest touch of malt and no hops to speak of. The smell is very artificial and not reminiscent of beer at all.

The flavor is all over the place. The strongest taste is roses. It reminds me of the rose scented soap my grandmother used to use. And not in a good way. There is a hint of hop flavor; I perceive it with anticipation. If that taste were to rise up and carry the roses this beer would be much beer. But the hops quickly back off leaving just a trace of bitterness on the back of the tongue. There is no raspberry here. This beer should be called Rose Beer.

The beer is light and only coats the tongue slightly, which is great because you can easily forget the flavor that way.

The alcohol in this beer is light, but that does not help the drinkability. I am so glad I got this as a single. I can choke one down, but I would have had to drain pour a six pack of this.

11-20-2008 06:55:05 | More by Ruslanchik
Metalmonk

3.43/5  rDev +17.9%

Fiery orange/rust with reddish tint, small cap of foam that thins to a crown quickly. Not much lace at all.

Raspberry is obvious in the nose, but also something like fruit skins, mostly apple but some other berry varieties. A sweetness like cake frosting, cake batter or flavored bubblegum. Real nice.

More cake batter in flavor, with raspberry as the main fruit (ya think?). Enough malty sweetness that it's not one-dimensional, but it loses its appeal after the first couple impressive sips.

Soft, buttery texture is nice and goes well with the cake batter character (was more carbonated at first, but I'm reviewing it now as just barely below room temperature). Only a mild tartness in the finish, and not as puckering as many other fruit beers.

Not bad at all. I miss the Belgian-ness that this seems to boast. Yeast is muted here, in every category, and a yeasty presence would've been the thing to help this sit with the big boys (as would've more malt and more fruit). But it's enjoyable enough and worth a shot, just nothing I'm anxious to return to.

11-20-2008 00:27:07 | More by Metalmonk
HardTarget

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

A) Honey amber body barely holds a halo of weak stringy bubbles

S) Strong deep berry smell, blueberry, cherry, maybe some lemon. A Belgian note here somewhere, but can't tell if it's just hop selection or yeast.

T) Goes bitter quickly and with a firm mineral note, like an seltzer water. Some fruity flavors in the finish, but there's a juniper note, something like gin, in the finish that makes it just too much like a tonic, medicinal somehow.

M) Prickly and puckering, thin body with a pinching dryness in the finish.

D) I think this is just a personal taste beer. I have a couple more bottles, I might see what the cellar does with this.

11-19-2008 04:26:34 | More by HardTarget
JDV

2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a clear orange goldish color with a fizzy white head. Smell is raspberries, coriander and cloves. Taste is spiced heavily with tons of cloves and a light metallic flavor and subtle raspberries. Kind of dull flavored outside of the strong clove character. Drinkable for the most part but the heavy clove killed it for me.

11-16-2008 20:59:40 | More by JDV
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one after the Founders Rubaeus and it didn't quite perform. Not terrible, but not particularly interesting. Much more raspberry than beer, to be honest. A light magenta color with no real head. Aroma is nearly non-existent, very mild raspberries. Flavor is similar, a little spicy and funky as well. Kind of seems like an odd mix of a Belgian light ale and a fruit beer. Again, not bad, but not great. Body's okay. Overall, it wasn't terrible, but you probably couldn't drink too many of them.

10-18-2008 17:14:15 | More by soupyman10
Dogbrick

3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer pours a clear pinkish-orange color with a medium thin white head that diminishes steadily. Thin rings of lacing. Aroma of raspberries, yeast and corainder. Light, crisp body with a tart raspberry character. Light yeast, spice and bubblegum flavors as well. The finish is soft and fruity, and leaves a sweet spice aftertaste. Average all around.

10-09-2008 20:12:52 | More by Dogbrick
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.53/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Interesting color. Everyone is saying pink and amber, and I can see the amber. Not so much the pink. Head was nice, creamyish looking, and lasted a good while before descending into a cap.

Aroma: Raspberry and yeast at the finish. The raspberry is very apparent here..but not much else in terms of aroma.

Taste: Raspberry in the forefront, that turned to a tartness going down (as it is with the fruit). There is a little yeast character to it in the finish as well. A bit much though on the raspberry. Not really beer like, but I think its trying to emulate a lambic. That being said, I've had better lambics.

Mouthfeel: Tartness gives crispness, and the yeast feels smooth going down, so its not bad.

Drinkability: Too much..I feel like its raspberry syrup with beer. Its ok for a couple, but not much more.

10-08-2008 04:52:43 | More by kshankar
brentk56

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours a vaguely pink-toned honey color with a rocky head that hangs around for a while but fails to deliver much lace

Smell: A cross between Pez and Children's Aspirin

Taste: Opens like it smells, although there is a developing yeasty complexity that keeps it from being merely awful; after the swallow, the yeast flavors fade and we are left with the awful opening elements

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with fizzy carbonation and a chalky mouthfeel

Drinkability: Off the charts

09-04-2008 00:52:11 | More by brentk56
clayrock81

2.85/5  rDev -2.1%

A clearish, pinkish hue almost that for a second had me worried that it was a bad beer. Minimal head that left little lacings. A sugary, almost oversweet smell tart raspberries and a hint of some yeast strains. Light-bodied but a tad syrupy for my liking, this had a tart raspberry taste that felt a little like a cherry soda taste (sharp, carbonated and not great). Then it dried my mouth off and made finishing the six-pack impossible (I gave a few to my neighbor). I won't be having this again the near future.

08-20-2008 16:37:33 | More by clayrock81
Treborofmoria

2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

I love the Celis beer line so it does pain me to leave this, less than stellar report. The aroma from this does indeed smell of a forced raspberry scent. They could not have used real berries when making this. The taste is straight up extract. This beer is basically Celis White with raspberry extract. Compared to the Celis White and Grand Cru...very disappointing.

06-29-2008 04:38:34 | More by Treborofmoria
GRPunk

3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A- It had a 1 finger white head that turned to a full lace that stuck nicely. The body was a gold-pink, almost like grapefruit juice and had large bubbles of carbonation.

S- The aroma was a nice play between raspberry and the traditional Belgian yeasty scents. It almost had a floral, perfume smell.

T- There was a mix of tart raspberry and sweet malt that turned a touch sour.

M- It had a lot of carbonation that gave it a near champagne feel.

D- The flavor was a bit much for me to drink more than 1 in a sitting.

06-12-2008 19:59:26 | More by GRPunk
bluejacket74

3.3/5  rDev +13.4%

12 ounce bottle, date on bottle says 4/1/2008. I'm not sure if this is a bottling date or a best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a weird dark gold/pink color with an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both low. The aroma is raspberries (more like syrup then fresh raspberries) and candy sugar. It doesn't smell bad at all, but then I like raspberries a lot too. Taste is the same as the aroma, like sugar and raspberry candy/syrup. There's more of an artificial raspberry taste than anything else. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it's not watery. Drinkability is OK, not awful but not exactly good either. Overall it's an average beer, but it's not as good as other raspberry and fruit beers I've had. With that being said, I wouldn't turn down one of these but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out either.

05-31-2008 00:40:58 | More by bluejacket74
BMoney575

3.2/5  rDev +10%

Sampled on 5-28-08

Pours a very pale cloudy almost salmon color. Very, very cool color with no real head and thin, filmy lacing.

Smell is a little Belgian, but mostly plain, thin malt.

Taste is sweet raspberry at first, followed by a perfumy, sour finish. Not bad, but the super bready and slightly bitter finish is unfortunate.

Mouthfeel is good, thickness adds to the sweet fruitiness.

Drinkability is decent, but the aftertaste becomes annoying.

Overall, better than I expected, but still kind of average.

05-28-2008 22:32:22 | More by BMoney575
david131

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Pours an ever so slightly hazy golden/red with some nice streams of rising carbonation. The head is small and white.

S- Belgiany, floral, and an almost itchy raspberry smell. Smells kind of like incense.

T- A little odd, kind of floral, Belgian, raspberry, lots of incense, and then a little beer taste on the tail end.

M- Decent carbonation level seems to keep things light. A little drying in the end. Can't really complain here.

D- This is just not my thing. A little to perfumey and not fruity enough. Maybe I shouldn't of had Rubaeus first.

04-24-2008 04:25:00 | More by david131
SIRIUS2

3.18/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Crystal clear pale yellow with a pink hue. Yes, pink. Very thin head at the pour that disappeared in seconds. No lacing.

S: Sweet, fruity raspberry. Almost smells like a Kool-Aid packet.

T: Sweetness tackles the palate quickly with an almost soda pop impression. The raspberry flavor is definitely there but this stuff just doesn't taste like beer to me. It more closely resembles a fruity malt beverage. There is an interesting smoky aftertaste at the swallow - it doesn't really add or detract from the experience, but it is interesting.

M&D: Mouthfeel is sort of like mostly flat soda pop. The carbonation is light and fades fast. Although it isn't cloying with sweetness, you still sort of expect it to coat the tongue. I'm not sure how to describe it. Finish isn't entirely clean and there wasn't any significant bitterness that I could detect at all.

I really wanted to like this stuff but the experience lessened with each pull. I'm not even sure what target style they were after when they made it. Anyway, it's worth trying for the experience once but I don't know that I would go looking for it again.

02-25-2008 01:40:11 | More by SIRIUS2
ElGrecoVerde

2.7/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Raspberry Kool-Aid meets beer. Some combinations just weren't meant to be.

Poured a nice strawberry orange color, with a white head. About what I was expecting.

The aromas we're that of sugary raspberries. I was hoping for a wheat with a hint of raspberry. So far, it wasn't looking good.

The taste was just like the smell. I tasted hints of raspberry, a little raspberry on the tongue, and finished with some raspberry and raspberry flavors in the back of the mouth. Some subtle underlying raspberry flavors were present as well.

I guess it just seemed like it was made from sugary raspberry concentrate rather than hints of fresh raspberries used in the brewing process. To be fair, there are other flavors present. Some typical wheat tastes like orange peels and spices were hidden in the beer.

I'm really starting to get sick of the word "raspberry", so I'll get this over with. Felt good, good carbonation, but not very drinkable. Raspberry.

02-08-2008 14:24:57 | More by ElGrecoVerde
Deuane

2.2/5  rDev -24.4%

A-Dark pink, like rose wine. with a small white head that leaves some lacing behind.

S-Some maltiness but the overwhelming presence of "fake" raspberries. Reminded me of St. Joeseph's Childrens Aspirin...and that is not good for a beer!

T-See above....WTF! Are there real raspberries in here or is it all extract? I really do not like this. It is barley above drinkable for me. I was hoping for something along the lines of a poor man's New Glarus Rasp. Tart....no such luck!

M-Medium carbonation with a light body.

D-I doubt I will ever want this again....I actually did not finish it. The sick sweetness was too overwhelming for me. I also did not appreciate the "fake" fruit tatse.

02-08-2008 13:39:56 | More by Deuane
matty

Darker gold colored beer with a nauseating aroma of what smelled like sweet candied yams.Taste was the same candied yams.I rarely slam a beer and this is only the second beer in my life that I ever poured down the drain after the first taste.I would not recommend this beer to my worse enemy and may God have mercy on the souls of the people who created it.

01-25-2008 06:49:01 | More by matty
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle poured into an 8oz hotel glass

A - Poured a very amber colored amber with a deep rich tone and some good carbonation streaking up towards the top. No real signifcant head formed, and the only thing really of notice was some decent side glass lace and a thin film across the top.

S - The aroma was full of rasberry, however it was all chock full of grain which suprised me a little and lef me guessing. Some bready smells as well seemed to be ever present.

T- The flavor was somewhat drowned out, I was expecting a nice fruit beer and the fruit was there, just not nearly as strong as I would have liked. It was blended in with a thick grain and bread flavor that seemed to all but destroy the rasberry and make it take a second seat to the rest of it.

M - Very light bodied with a good carbonation profile that stayed around until the very end. I was actually quite impressed with how well balanced it was in the feel, untill it warmed and lost some of its warmth.

D - Not bad, but not good either. It was just a little off for me and not something I would care to have more then one of to be honest, but it could have been worse.

Overall nothing terrible but I have had better and this could have been better. I will look for something a little stronger next time, just seemed a little to generic.

01-10-2008 00:17:53 | More by mikesgroove
gottajiboo2

4.28/5  rDev +47.1%

I know some folks were not too impressed by this beer, but not expecting much when I tried it, I actually found it to be rather enjoyable. 2007 release

appearance, pours a rosy pink with a tiny bubbled head that disappeared at a center at a medium pace, but clung to the edges of the glass.
smelled sweet like candy and also like a doughy Belgian waffle with raspberry topping.
tasted creamy with an ever so slight tartness followed by sweetness. the raspberry's really stood out in the finish and upon exhaling.
mouth feel was thin, but smooth. this was a very drinkable beer. it just reminded me of what i'd call a breakfast beer. so sunday morning i enjoyed one with my curry scrambled eggs and home fries.

cheers

01-04-2008 23:52:40 | More by gottajiboo2
berserker256

3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

I think I was xpecting something closer to that Frambois Lambic for some reason. This isn't even close. It appears hazy with a pinkish hue. It smells of raspberry and clove and somewhat like a wheat beer. Tastes like a light wheat beer that went heavy on the raspberry flavoring. I can detect clove spices and sweet/tart fruit. It feels thin in the mouth and may be a little flat. It's drinkability is average... It's EASY to drink but I would get sick of these after a couple and would want to switch to a BEER beer. This seems more like a low alcohol entry that chicks would like.

12-14-2007 21:48:26 | More by berserker256