Celis Raspberry - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis RaspberryCelis Raspberry

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 07-27-2003)
2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

first off i'll say that i'm not a fan of fruit beer, of any kind. i bought this for my fiance she took one sip and didn't like it so i figured i'd give it a whirl.

pours with little or no head, and has a cloudy cider color to it with a tiny amount of carbonation. smell is like a hefe, but of course with rasberry. taste is not too bad, has a good hefe first impression but a fruity aftertaste. mouthfeel is watery and the drinkability isn't very high, atlest for me, one of these is enough to try, but thats it

2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Well, I'm sorry to say I was let down here, maybe my expectations were set too high???
Not a whole lot of Raspberry showing through- really about the only taste that I could pick out was a strange Musk/Coca smell & taste that I personally found WAY OFF! and will keep me from having another bottle of this. Some might like the odd flavor combination, but it just didn't sit well with me, again maybe my high expectations caused this poor review, but I don't know about this one....
(kinda would have been great to see them make a Lindeman's Framboise style?)

3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

Purchased as part of a sample pack with the White, Cru and Pale Bock. No alcohol levels or born on dating on the lable. No real description on the label, had to get that from the six-pack box. I assumed about this brewery at the store this it was related to the Wit bier rejuvinator but was confused since my "Idiots Guide to Beer" had mentioned he had set up shop in Texas. Beer advocate has since cleared up confusion.
This odd smelling beer has sparked my first review on this site.
A= Orange rose color, no head or lacing.
S= The reason this ibeer inspired my first review is that this beer smells like Malt. Malt as in Whoppers, malted milkshakes or Ovaltine. It smells oddly great and that disturbs me, but I like it.
T= Rasberry only in the finish. Sweet candy flavor like others have described. Flavor influenced by Ovaltine smell.
M+T= Thin and unassuming. No beer bitterness, easily swished around to all flavor sensors on the tongue.
Might be hard for a blind taste test to find the raspberry in this. Casual drinker would like this as a fancy beer. Malt ball smell I've never seen in any other beer.
Get the variety pack!

3.65/5  rDev +25.4%

Nice, mild raspberry smell and taste. Some bad memories of Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic flashed back to me at moments here, but they went away. A bit artificial in the raspberry taste but not the worst offender I've had. Very cool looking red-tinge to this on the pour.

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

This was the least favorite beer I sampled while at the Brew HAHA in Cincinnati. I really thought I would like a raspberry beer because I do enjoy Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. I do not hold this brew in high regard. it looks descent and smells great. The accolades stop there. This tasted like a screwed up batch of Robotusin or Vicks44 cough syrup. Yuck! I hardly ever slam a beer but this is deserving. Stay away if you are looking for a sweet fruit beer. Go after a Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. You cant go wrong with that.

3.18/5  rDev +9.3%

My beer had a light red/orange color in my pint glass. Decent frothy white head on the pour that subsided to a ring. Wonderful smell of fruit/malt/cloves in the spray.

I could bearly find any sort of fruit taste. I was expecting it more upfront. If anything, it was like drinking cough syrup with some sort of flavoring to make the kids drink it.

Other than the more fruity smell, I could have been just drinking a Celis White, but more sour.

That's fine, but this is a fruit beer. I wanted to taste some fruit.

3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Transparent rose colored body. Body looks very similar to a blush wine. The small white head tapers off quickly. Leaves some lacing behind in the glass.

S- Very sugary. Smells like raspberry flavored candy. Bready malt smell is also detectable.

T- Initial taste is a dry, clean raspberry taste. Bread and hints of raspberry linger in the back of the palate. Suprisingly hints of alcohol are there too. Overall taste is pretty light.

M- Medium carbonation and light body.

D- This is a decent example of a fruit beer. I would drink it again. Great on a hot summer day. I probably wouldn't session it; but ti would be a good break from a session.

2.88/5  rDev -1%

poured a light amber color with a pinkish tint, a one finger white head that faded to a ring around the glass and minimal lacing. smell is of sugar, and cotton candy can't really get any raspberry from the smell. taste is extremely sweet what raspberry taste there is, is candy like no tartness at all. mouthfeel is ok as with carbonation, not a beer i would buy again.

1.4/5  rDev -51.9%

my first raspberry wheat beer. Poured into an American pint glass. The beer is cloudy with moderate carbonation, it has a hazy light amber/pink color. The head slowly dies to nothing revealing a wheaty fruit chap-stick aroma. Faint hops are hiding in the back. Hmm, tastes like crap... There is a faint raspberry taste that appears to be from some sort of chemical additive that creates a horribly chemical mouthfeel. I don't feel very healthy drinking this beer. Almost a soapy, detergent-like feel.

This beer sucks, plain and simple

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

12oz bottle -> goblet
no date

Pours a clear ambered orange with a slight haze of pink, i think, i may be imaging that. The small head evaporates quickly leaves no lace. Carbonation appears massive.

Nose: Some vanilla, grains, sourness?

Taste: Very sweet candy flavor, not really feeling any raspberry. Some crushed aspirin in the finish.

Mouth feels thin but crisp.

1/2 a bottle is a could handle.

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle a golden reddish color with a slight pink tone very little head with some lacing. Smells of sweet fruit and vanilla. Taste of raspberries and vanilla but not overly sweet with a tingle of carbonation on the tongue. A light fruity beer that is crisp and refreshing and not to sweet. Good for its style but some thing I don't normally crave.

4.2/5  rDev +44.3%

Apperaence: Red color, decent head and retention. Nothing special
Smell: Rasberry smell comes out strong especiall after swallowing.
Taste: Nice rasberry taste. Sort of like a purple haze approach, but a lot better.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: nice refreshing crips beer. Easy to drink. A sessionable beer. I will reach for it in spring time.

3.33/5  rDev +14.4%

I drank this one out of the bottle while moving to my new apartment, so I can't tell you anything about the appearance. Bad form I know, but what are ya gonna do? It was cold, contains alcohol, and I was thirsty.

Smells a little ourdoorsy and barnyardy with a hint of raspberry.

This actually doesn't taste all that much like raspberry in my oppinion. I taste mainly grassy outdoorsy falvors along with a nice whit type flavor.

This one is nothing special. My girlfriend likes it, but I think that it has more in common with a wine cooler than a beer. It does remind me of a nice whit, so I can't say that it's all bad, but I don't think I would go for this again.

2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Bright peachy orange with a definite rosy hue. The softly creamy cap is ivory in color with contributions from pastel orange and pastel pink. I don't know that I've ever seen quite this combination of colors before in a glass of beer. The head lasts long enough to achieve respectability, but leaves no more than a few arching ribbons of lace.

The nose smells amazingly like orange-raspberry SweetTarts candy. Alternatively, it smells like children's chewable aspirin. How is it possible for beer to smell powdery, or to bring powdery substances to mind? Odd that. In any case, it smells nothing like good beer and will have to suffer the consequences.

Unfortunately, it tastes pretty much how it smells. I don't believe that I've ever had a beer quite like Celis Raspberry (and for that I'm thankful). As was the nose, the flavor is rampant with an artificial quality that is candy-like without being overly sweet. I'm not sure what the brewery did to get it to taste like this, but I wish they'd stop.

Tangy raspberry is identifiable, as is the same crushed, orange-flavored aspirin quality that was present in the nose. I'm sure that the greater than usual amount of fruit beer bitterness is contributing to the aspirin association in my mind. I'd like to see Celis Raspberry get a complete overhaul, because (as is) I can't even see it appealing to reluctantly beer drinking women.

I can't find too much fault with the body/mouthfeel. It weighs in at light-medium and holds up well throughout each mouthful. Even the amount of carbonation is to my liking. Too bad the flavor sucks.

I expected Celis Raspberry to be pretty good beer since I enjoyed Celis White and since I thought the two Michigan Brewing Company beers that I had in the past several weeks were enjoyable. The truth is though, this is one of the worst fruit beers that I've had in quite some time. Buyer (and drinker) beware.

2.93/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into goblet.

A: What an odd color. Some kind of orange haze with a pinkish hue at the edges. It looks unnatural. No head to speak of, no lacing.

S: Raspberry and cream.

T/M: Like most fruit beers, it delivers what it promises. Raspberry flavor is dominant, but there's a hint of vanilla creaminess in there. Unfortunately, the creaminess doesn't win in its battle to balance the raspberry flavor. The finish is dry and crisp.

D: Moving into the subjective here...this just didn't do it for me. The raspberry juice was too sweet, too tart, and the resulting beer wan't beer-like in any way. I never crave malternatives, and this essentially tasted like a malternative. If I ever need to have a fruit beer, I'd do the Sam Cherry Wheat over this, which at least has wheat and beer-like qualities. It was kind of a chore to finish this, because it got pretty boring by the end of the glass. YMMV.

2.58/5  rDev -11.3%

I was looking forward to trying this after loving the Celis White and also enjoying very much the Grand Cru. This was a bit of a letdown. The label says that it is a malt beverage with raspberry juice added. That should have been my first sign of things to come. The beer poured an orange color with a slight off white head. The aroma was a bit muted but with some vanilla tones, not my raspberry. The taste was more of the same. You can taste a touch of raspberry but it is not very evident and the vanilla taste is almost syrupy and not overly enjoyable.

Started off with a light orangey color, with a bit of a pinkish color to the quickly dissipating head. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.
The aroma immediately let me know something was off with this beer. It was very strong, but in an off-putting way. The aroma was mainly raspberry, but something was strange about it. Ah! Vanilla! That's what it is. The vanilla really throws me for a loop.
The flavor. Hmm, the best way I can describe it is when you add one of those flavored syrups to your coffee, and you put a pump or two too many in there, it throws off the balance.
The label says "Malt Beverage with Raspberry Juice Added," and I guess that describes it, but it's not a good thing. I really like their Celis White, but this just didn't do it for me.

4.03/5  rDev +38.5%

Pours a bright orange color with a slight haze. Very fruity raspberry aroma with a slight citrus note as well. The raspberry comes out very nicely in the flavor as well; it’s just rich enough to be satisfyingly tasty but light enough to remain drinkable, it’s sweet but not too sweet and it doesn’t have the freeze-dried quality that you find in so many other beers like this. But there is also a nice, balancing tartness. The mildly sharp tartness extends into the finish which effectively complements the light mouthfeel and mellow carbonation.

Specific a style as it might be, there are actually quite a few raspberry wheat beers out there, and this one is easily the best that I’ve personally come across. Balanced, tasty, light and drinkable. Great summer beer. Recommended.

3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

This is a very light beer, not too sweet and doesn't have a lot of syrup body to it that you may expect from a raspberry beer. It has a nice light amber color, almost a light pink color that holds very little head retention. The nose is light as well, but it smells sweet with vanilla being more powerful of a smell than the raspberry, but the rasberry is there. It's a very light and clean beer with no residuals left. It also smells like a belgian. By that I mean you can smell the belgian candi smell with this beer. It's a decent beer and good for summer time but nothing I would go out and buy a case of.

3.98/5  rDev +36.8%

This beer pours a light, clear red/orangish golden color. The fizzy white head dissappears almost instantly. Very little retention or lacing. Aromas of fruit and malt are quite evident indeed. Has a sweet taste of raspberry (obviously) and also malt and maybe a hint of bread or yeast as well. Also has a bit of a dry and sour aftertaste. Has a crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Quite easy to drink. A pretty tasty beer overall.

Eric

3.53/5  rDev +21.3%

Picked up at the brewery.

A: Pinkish-copper, clear, not at all hazy. Fizzy, white head, very little retention, tries to lace.

S: Sour fruit with an underlying sweet maltyness (toffee, cotton-candy).

T: Raspberry, a little malty bread/caramel, with a crisp, tart finish. There's a very nice sweet/tart balance (not too much funk).

M: Light to moderate body, slightly acidic; moderate carbonation.

D: Approachable & balanced, but not my thing.

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a orange color with a pink tint. Smell is wheaty with some rasberry and a funky barnyard smell, although not like a lambic. Taste has notes of wheat malt, rasberry, some hop bitterness, and a funky taste I can't ID. Mouthfeel is good, some good carbination. A drinkable beer but not great.

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A peachy orange body with a quickly fading offwhite head and not much lacing at all.

Smell: Faint raspberry syrup and a bit of hops. Not much there and turns out to smell pretty fake.

Taste: Hmm, kind of cloying and sugary and syrupy. The finish, once the residual sugars dissipate, is slightly juicy and decent, but it takes a while to get there.

Mouthfeel: Pretty cloying and full without being too pleasurable.

Drinkability: I really haven't found a fruit beer that I've been a huge fan of, and this is added to the list. I unfortunately have five more bottles left. Not the worst experience in the world, but I'm not excited for the other bottles that are left.

1.53/5  rDev -47.4%

Beer man Dan put's it pretty well definitely a glorified malt beverage. Appearance is slightly pink hazed golden hue with a vibrant quickly fleeting white head leaves behind specks of scattered lacing. Aroma strong chemical smelling raspberry tone they claim it's juice but this sent is screaming extract. Taste has a sharp acidity to it between the wheat and raspberry "juice" it puts me off immediately. Lacks balance or any other substantial wit flavors horrible offering at least the others were pretty good, 3 outta 4 aint' bad. Mouthfeel is sticky with residual sugars in this syrupy extract like creation doesn't come together well carbonation is spritzy. Drinkability is definitely cloying early on in the drinking experience I would steer away and I plan to myself.

1.63/5  rDev -44%

Wow, I just had Michigan's Celis White and thought it was pretty decent; I knew I was going to have issues with this one as soon as I cracked the top. Poured a translucent straw with reddish-purple highlights. Fizzy pop carbonation, no sustainable head. It smells like raspberry flavored lip gloss and perfume. I sampled about 4 oz and determined it is indeed synthetic tasting garbage. I feel violated for sampling even 4 oz of this glorified malt beverage.

Celis Raspberry from Michigan Brewing Company