Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced AleMichigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Ratings: 130 | Reviews: 96
Reviews by CoSMoSYS:
3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a bottle.

This beer poured a cloudy redish copper with minimal head and lacing.

Bozebus was extremely right. As I poured this beer I was smacked in the face with all the spices this beer claimed to have and from what I read on here. Makes me want a homemade pumpkin pie just from inhaling. The smell was intense and the taste didn't disappoint. True to it's word this beer is definitely a "Screamin" pumpkin ale.

It was a medium to light taste and i could feel it "kicking" around it my mouth. It tasted somewhat hoppy but quickly disappeared.

In the end this beer is exactly what it says it is: Screamin'. It's pumpkin ale times 50. If anybody wants a suped up version of a regular pumpkin ale, definitely give this beer a shot.

I would definitely drink this beer again.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Appears a ruby caramel amber hue forms a large off white head, good retention lacing is thin and uneven with each sip. Aroma yes folks pumpkin pie, oh my god my beer smells like pumpkin pie. Is this trend good for beer probably not but does it sell probably so. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and all spice oh joy a touch of caramel maltiness and bam a bit of gourdiness. Flavor, really this one is even has the whipped cream effect going on they made liquid extract pumpkin pie this is a beverage of the future fuck the bubblegum in willy wonka that tastes like a four course meal and give the beer that tastes like our favorite autmuninal dessert. It works that's crazy I can act like I don't want pumpkin pie in my beer but it actually works it tastes good. Spicy, creamy, whipped up sugary pumpkin flavor this is solid and not cloying during a whole glass that surprises the hell out of me. Usually I'm not feeling something like this but Michigan brewing has done it one of the better pumpkin ales I've come across still I like the stronger alcohol ones like Weyerbacher and DFH but this one tastes so good. Mouthfeel is medium bodied a little stick with residual sugars and a tad heavy on carbonation other than that no complaints although the spices do lie heavy on the palate. Drinkability for dessert like I said but damn it's hard to not had on the whole pumpkin ale transition but this one is tasty, fuck beer trends go the best of me.

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

Reviewed 10/21

The beer was slightly amber and translucent. I picked up nutmeg and pumpkin spice immediately. Despite the light appearance, the aroma led me to expect a warming sensation in the mouth, but I wasn't disappointed that I was wrong. None of the flavor was overpowering and I found it very drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes are 2 nights old.

This beer is a bright, completely clear coppery orange with burnished gold coming all the way through in the light. The head pours dense and fades within a minute, remaining one finger high and solid when it does. Good lacing is left initially, tapering off as it goes to leaves some thin spots of lacing. There's lots of bubbly activity the whole way through.
Spices are up front on the nose, consisting of nutmeg and cinnamon, while pumpkin is not so detectable lingering underneath. For whatever reason, the spices also overpower the malts on the nose.
The flavor is the same: the spices are the feature in this one. Fortunately, it's neither overspiced nor harsh, opting for softer more flavorful spices without overusing them. This is tasty, but I think it needs more of a malt backbone to support it and give it a bit of beer character. This would be sort of a guilty pleasure, and a great holiday drink, but in good conscience I have to deduct a point for the beer aspect itself. Otherwise it hits the balance of proper sweetness and spiciness and it does have a touch of breadiness. It goes a touch sour in the finish.
My first impression is that this seems somewhat thin at first, but it really thickens out to a rich, smooth brew with a bit of body to it. My only concern is that the carbonation is kind of going wild here.
I'm a bit conflicted about this one. I'd certainly have more.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

A: mild golden hues fuse with orange for a glowing copper tone. A soft and dingy white head formed and is lackluster at best. Some lacing, nothing to brag about

S: nutmeg, cinnamon, malts, and caramel. The nose is in a good way with mild and crisp smells. More spicy than pumpkin-like. I like what the nose is offering up.

T: the malts keep things balanced evenly between creamy and sweet nutmeg and snappy cinnamon. I doubt any actual pumpkin was used in this brew. Maybe a hint of crushed cloves is poking through. I feel that some noble hops gather force within, very light but grassy in character. Some very good spiced flavors moving around

M: light body with zesty carbonation. Feels nice and has some good dimensions

D: easy to drink. However, better pumpkin brews exist. I like them a little bit meatier and reeking pumpkin. Good brew

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

roma: HUGE Nutmeg and cinnamon aroma that dominates. Potpourri like.

Appearance: Deep golden and very clear, has a slight off white head that rings the glasses sides.

Flavor: All Spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood-like flavors. Perfume. These flavors dominate the beer. The swallow finished relatively dry with a slight bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall Impression: Just ok. Kind of like an All Spice, Cinnamon, and nutmeg tea. Very clean fermented. Not one of my favorites, but I'm glad I tried it. Probably wouldn't buy another sixer of it.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

When I had it at MBC, it was called "Pumpin' Pumpkin, so whther it's the same recipe or not, I can't say...

Well, ya either like pumpkin or ya don't. And I do like this one. This has everything a pumpkin pie has except the Crisco. Has a strong pie taste, but not unpleasantly so. This 2003 edition (listed as 5.0% ABV) nicely balances the pumpkin and spice aspects, though at the cost of the beer flavor. Certainly would taste best fresh at the brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have had this in my cellar since fall '03, aged OK, but won't probably save again.
Pours orange-red with two fingers of white foam.
Smells is very pumpkin pie-like, spicy, rich smelling.
Very spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin pie flavor, supported by a firm maltiness.
Mouthfeel is very big and rich, but the beer is still extremely drinkable.
Because of the flavor and richness of this beer, it is very satisfying, like a piece of pumpkin pie.
Although, if you are looking for a beer that tastes like pumpkin, sans pumpkin pie spice, try New Holland's Ichabod.

**EDIT**
Opened a bottle last night that had been sitting around for 2.5 years. Absolutely fantastic. After ~ 1 year it was quite metallic, but after the additional aging time, the beer was smooth and creamy, slightly sweet and with a nice subtle punpkin spice. Buy a case and put it away for awhile!

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours an orange/red with a small creamy head that quickly filtered to a small bubbles clinging to he side of the bottle. Smell's like a pumpkin pie. Tastes like a pumpkin pie. Spices of cinamon and nutmeg throughout with a slight bitter aftertaste. Of th ethree pumpkin brews I've had, this is by far the best.I bought a sixer of this on a whim and that turned out to be a good thing!

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked up while visiting Michigan for the CBS release.

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a haze orange color. About a finger of slowly dissipating off white head is achieved. Many bubbles can be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell – Lots of nice pumpkin spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, malty backbone, vanilla, and clove.

Taste – Wow, this tastes pretty damn good. I wish I would have picked up more of these. It has wonderful pumpkin flavors that taste REAL and not fake. Pumpkin pie crust, great cinnamon and nutmeg intermixed, a hint of ginger, and finishes with a bit of vanilla.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, slightly creamy, spritzy carbonation which in my opinion makes it easier to drink.

Overall – Not only is the packaging sweet looking, but the beer itself was a pleasant surprise. A fantastic pumpkin beer, one of the best I’ve had.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice orange-amber. Modest visible carbonation. Fluffy foam rises and falls to a skim that rings the glass.

Spicy aroma of nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon. Pretty inviting actually, not too overdone.

Lightly malty and bready, accented by the above spices. Bittersweet clove finishes the taste. It's pretty well balanced and easy-drinking. I'd agree with other reviewers that two in a sitting is about right. Thanks to my MI friends for bringing some to IL!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I didn't think I'd drink this beer again after 2006's batch was spiced beyond all measures of sanity. A bottle was given to me though, so I couldn't let it go to waste.

Fantastic brown color with a swelling foamy head. Impressive. Smells like pumpkin pie -- good from-scratch, spicy pumpkin pie. Tastes the same, and has enough hops to balance things out, and powdery cocoa on the finish. Nice thick liquid -- very drinkable. Delicious!

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Best by date of 2/16/10.

Appearance: A hard pour gave a thin tan head. Clear coppery body.

Smell: Tons of pumpkin pie spice. Really phenomenal.

Taste: More pumpkin pie spice, but not as strong as it was in the smell. Finishes with a real nice bitterness.

Great example of the style.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Bottle: Poured an orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of cinnamon and cloves is quite strong with light pumpkin notes. Taste is also a nice mix between some strong notes of cinnamon and cloves with light pumpkin and some semi-sweet caramelized malt. Body is average with good carbonation. Well brewed with just about right amount of spices.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. No date or info.

Thanks to sweemzander for bringing a bottle of this back from MI for me!

A - Brilliant clarity shows off the golden yellow color and nice carbonation rising out. A thick bone-colored head rises to three fingers then lowers slowly leaving superb collars of dense lace on the glass.

S - Mild real pumpkin backs up an equally delicate spice aroma. The classics give it a spice hint but it's rather bland in general. Not a lot of malt to it either. Pale malt hints but that's about it.

T - The taste certainly kicks it up a notch! Nutmeg is huge here. Traces of cinnamon, sugar, and molasses also come out with pumpkin being secondary and pale malts providing a decent backbone.

M - Spice-centric on the tongue with a medium-light body and highly carbonated finish. A touch dry and nice lingering spice flavor sticks for a while.

D - Get past the less-than-stellar aroma and you've got yourself a spicy, decent pumpkin ale. Texture and aroma/flavor make it seem a little bit more like a lager with it's crispness though. Body could be brought up just a bit.

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%

so we will get our first frost this night might as well bust out something special right? served cold and poured into a pint glass, enjoyed on 10/28/2010.

really a nice orange color here with a clear and nicely carbonated body. nice tight head of white comes up quickly and cleanly leaving a small residual head around the edges.

aroma is right up in the face with full on spice. lots of nutmeg and pumpkin notes really coming through now. warm with apples and hints of all things fall dropping into place now. really just exactly what i want in a pumpkin ale. light body with spot on carbonation never lets it get too heavy or out there, really just very nicely put together with nice notes of spice, maple sugar, cinnamon and a really nice crisp, and very clean finish.

overall one of the better spiced ales i have had. no doubt in my mind i would do this one again.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%

I reviewed this beer a week ago and it is not on here. So here we go again . . .

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of white head. It is orange in color and clear. The smell is dominated by nutmeg. It has nutmeg in the taste as well along with some pumpkin spice. It is a way better than expected beer. I would love to have this again. I should have bought more than two.

Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, cloudy amber color with a half finger of creamy off white head. There is alright retention and some lacing as well.

Smell: Very sweet smelling pumpkin spice. Some brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Taste: There is malt sweetness here, but not as overpowering as the smell. A decent amount of pumpkin spice up front, but it fades a bit towards the end of each sip. The finish has a slight bitterness to it and is just a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a ton of carbonation and a mild dryness in the finish.

Overall: This beer started out well but the finish is a bit disappointing. Just alright and I don't need another.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

Got one of these to try from a buddy who really likes this brew. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a nice light orange color with very little white head and no lacing.

S- There's alot of different spices that combine to form that spiced pumpkin smell that you get from a fresh piece of pumpkin pie.

T- Pretty similar to the smell just not as strong, the spices are blended and balanced well with some pumpkin and maltyness in the background.

M- A little over carbonated but other then that its right where it should be for its style.

D- One went down so smooth i just had to have another but by the time i was done with my second one i was over the flavor and ready for something lighter and crisper.

Overall i thought this beer was pretty good, The best pumpkin ale i have had to date. My friend told me this beer tasted like pumpkin pie and he was right, going to pick up some more soon.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

I had read a lot about this beer from the Michigan Brewing Company so I was "excited" to find this at Delock's Liquors in Munster, IN on a recent roadtrip. Poured into a pilsener glass (my other glasses were dirty) and I'm glad I chose this type of glass because as I drink this fall concoction, the lacing just hugs the inner parts of the glass. I had hoped to give this brew better scores, but it's just a notch above average. Minimal head, one-dimensional smell, so-so taste, and mouthful was just decent. This is the fourth bottle in the six pack and I've yet to figure this beer out. Oh, well, I'm glad I tried it. I might purchase other Michigan Brewing Co. brews in the future, but will pass this one by.

Purchased as part of a mixed six pack option. Not too keen about the label - for some reason labels have been a good indicator for me. However, I am a somewhat a fan of Michigan Brewing Company so I needed to try.

Pours a light amber with small head. Pumpkin pie aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice etc.

Taste is nice, cinnamon seems to dominate - nutmeg is nicely kept in check. Caramel maltiness works well in the mix.

Good carbonation, good drinkability. Second pumpkin ale (favorite is Short's Brewing Co.) that I could probably drink up to 3 at a time.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I had heard good things about this, can't wait to try it.
Pours a reddish brown color with about half inch of head. Looks nice. Smell is pumpkin, vanilla, some spice and some underlying malt.
Taste is exactly what I'm looking for. Liquid pumpkin pie. Not overly spiced and vegetal like others. Very sweet and dessert like. This is right there with Schlafly's Pumpkin beer.
Near perfect amount of carbonation. Very easy beer to enjoy.

A - Light orange in color with a good amount of head.
S - Smells of liquid pumpkin! Honey, cinnamon, ginger, and other pumpkin smells. Very sweet.
T - Easily made one of my tops on flavor for pumpkin! Overly sweet but dangerous in large quantities. Full (not slight but overpowering) flavors of cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin spice, and honey hit the tongue in what I assume to be perfection.
M - Tin but hearty for 6 ABV
D - Pretty much my go to pumpkin beer. I now dream of fall but dread the winters after because of this beer. It's a love hate thing.

Edit: This was the 2009 version the 2010 is way less spicy yet people are still bitching! Where is my spice?

3.85/5  rDev -1%

12 oz brown bottle

Appearance: Amber color in body with an off-white head

Smell: Spicy and just like a pumpkin pie

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tastes like nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and almost anything that goes into a pumpkin pie. Also, a little spiced cider tasting. Behind the malt, the ale has a [very] slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium thick with a medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is my first tasting of the Pumpkin Ale style. I like the taste of Michigan Brewings Screaming Pumpkin Spiced Ale, however, I think I prefer to get my pumpkin taste from real pumpkin pie and not from a liquid/beer – just my opinion. I would recommend this ale to anyone that enjoys the style.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Loterbol tulip. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best before 02/04/09

A: Pours a clear pumpkin orange color (duh). With a creamy, off-white, one-finger head. The carbonation is pretty lazy and the lace left behind was splotchy.

S: Inviting aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, toasted malt, cardamom, roasted pecans, pumpkin pie spice, and freshly baked pumpkin pie (including the crust!).

T: See above. The earthy spice, roasted nut, and toasted malt flavors do a great job reigning in the potentially over-sweetened pumpkin pie flavors. Also, the more I drank of this the more I noticed a spicy hop flavor and a slightly lemon-y hop flavor.

M: Full and creamy at first with things becoming noticably more dry, toasty, and spicy as I worked my way to the bottom of the glass. Only a trace of sweetness and not cloyingly so.

D: Overall, this is a great Pumpkin Beer. I found it to show off excellent balance and it was a joy not a chore to drink.

to view more.