Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced AleMichigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marburg on 09-27-2003

1.93/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Let me start by saying that I do indeed like pumpkin ales. This one starts out looking just ok. Not much head, a little lacing, looks thin. Aroma is cinnamon, nutmeg, quite a bit of spice. No malt to speak of. Tasting it is like drinking a candle. Just spice, no malt. Mouthfeel is thin, and this just isn't a drinker for me. Drain pour time, because with every sip I take I feel compelled to mark it even lower. Some may like it, I do not.

2.09/5  rDev -46%

Pours a brilliant auburn color with very little head. It smells spicey, I notice a lot of cinnamon, and if it didnt have a pumpkin on the label and a different name, I would think it was a christmas beer. Nutmeg, pumpkin pie, and LOTS of cinnamon.

The taste seems to be tampered with. Its solidly full of pumpkin pie flavors, but the addition of so much cinnamon to it seems to bring on a flavor that my palate isnt accustomed to. Really not sure what to do with it. If I was taste-testing before I wanted a whole one, I think I'd hand it back.

Mouthfeel is crisp and finishes smooth. Not bad, but theres something about the taste that rubs me the wrong way.

2.53/5  rDev -34.6%

Aroma:Smells a little spicy.

Appearance:Orange, good head.

Taste:The foretaste is sweet, spicy, and delicious. Very quickly the taste turns a little acrid in the midtaste. It's like the sweetness leaves the room and all you have left is some harsh spice flavor.

Mouthfeel:This beer has a light body, and good carbonation.

Drinkability:This pumpkin ale makes the same mistake that a lot of these do, and just spices it up too much, overblown.

2.61/5  rDev -32.6%

12oz bottle from deejaydan as part of the WTF ASAP BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" eggshell head above the golden amber brew. Frothy head fades slowly, with sticky foam lacing. Aroma is super-spiced pumpkin sweetness, definitely not the more sedate brew I look for. Taste is more of that the nose indicated, gingerbready, sweet pumpkin, with not much room for anything delicate to shine. Mouthfeel is just tough for me, and drinkability is even worse. I'm not that wild about this style firstly, but a delicate, flavorful one will impress me. One like this that's overpowering with sweet spices is not going to be revisited.

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to Dave for this one. Had it on 10/8, from notes. (Note: I am a bit biased against Pumpkin beers. They are one of my least favorite styles and I am very critical of them.)

Pours a hazy burnt orange- brown color akin to autumn leaves. One finger of head fades to an off white foamy cap. Oddly large-sized bubbles.

Aroma starts with spices of the normal variety. Smells really hearty. Pumpkin and malt backbone are sturdy and make for a great aroma that isn't too spice dominant.

The problem with the taste of this beer is that the base beer kind of sucks. It's too weak to stand up to the barrage of spices that the aroma foreshadowed. The first few sips are good, but it gets to be too much after a while, especially once it warms.

Too thin of a mouthfeel, once again a product of the weakness of the base beer. I hate to say it, but the unbalance of spices here combined with a poorly crafted base beer, forced me to drain pour the 2nd half of the bottle. It smelled awesome but that was about it.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, cloudy amber color with a half finger of creamy off white head. There is alright retention and some lacing as well.

Smell: Very sweet smelling pumpkin spice. Some brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Taste: There is malt sweetness here, but not as overpowering as the smell. A decent amount of pumpkin spice up front, but it fades a bit towards the end of each sip. The finish has a slight bitterness to it and is just a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a ton of carbonation and a mild dryness in the finish.

Overall: This beer started out well but the finish is a bit disappointing. Just alright and I don't need another.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Michigan Brewing Company Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, carved into 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured copper with a whiteish fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of pumpkin pie! Mostly cinnamon, some cloves and pumpkin.

Taste was upfront cinnamon with a light pumpkin sweetness, followed by the moderate cloves taste and some nutmeg, with a tinge of pumpkin sweetness, on a medium length finish that finishes with light spice aromas and an awkwardly bitter aftertaste, like pumpkin rinds/skins. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, fizzy, slightly dry and some moderate/harsh astringency.

Overall, the aroma is wonderful, the flavor is almost there, but the harsh bitter finish leaves you afraid to take another sip.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

roma: HUGE Nutmeg and cinnamon aroma that dominates. Potpourri like.

Appearance: Deep golden and very clear, has a slight off white head that rings the glasses sides.

Flavor: All Spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood-like flavors. Perfume. These flavors dominate the beer. The swallow finished relatively dry with a slight bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall Impression: Just ok. Kind of like an All Spice, Cinnamon, and nutmeg tea. Very clean fermented. Not one of my favorites, but I'm glad I tried it. Probably wouldn't buy another sixer of it.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Standard appearance. Not too great lacing, sticky body. Clear body, Amber. Good carbonation.

Tribute to cinnamon, light gourd nature. Muddied pumpkin. Just simple and generic.

Squashy, pumpkin, nutmeg, finish of dry cinnamon and a cardboardy malty cellulosic papery... Ugh.

Watery, mild bodied. Sticky flavors. Mild but appropriate carbonation. Just... Average.

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%

When I had it at MBC, it was called "Pumpin' Pumpkin, so whther it's the same recipe or not, I can't say...

Well, ya either like pumpkin or ya don't. And I do like this one. This has everything a pumpkin pie has except the Crisco. Has a strong pie taste, but not unpleasantly so. This 2003 edition (listed as 5.0% ABV) nicely balances the pumpkin and spice aspects, though at the cost of the beer flavor. Certainly would taste best fresh at the brewery.

3.34/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very clear copper with a good sized white head that disappeared pretty quickly. There wasn't much lacing to speak of.

The aroma was great, probably the best thing about the beer. It smelled very strongly of pumpkin pie spices. The cinnamen, nutmeg, and allspice all shine through. There isn't really anything else to notice.

The taste was much like the smell. This brew is a spice attack. In fact I didn't notice any malt character at all. The pumpkin pie spices are very aggressive. The finish tastes like ginger snaps. This beer feels nice and hardy on the palate as a fall seasonal should.

After my first few sips I really loved this beer. As I kept drinking I liked it less and less. For me the spices just got to be a little much. It didn't even really taste like beer to me. In a sense this beer was too much like pumpkin pie for my liking. That being said it is an interesting take on the style and I'm sure there are many others that will enjoy it.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Very sweet and spicy. My first thought is candied yams with melted marshmallows. But there's a hint of Candy Korn too. Quite light bodied and not much mouthfeel. It's all in the astounding fragrance, which is vanilla and root beer. While is seems to have cinnamon and nutmeg as well, it definitely tastes like creamy rice pudding more than pumpkin pie.

Definitely interesting sweet seasonal, and a nice variation from the tiresome pumpkin pie overload that a lot of beer in this style have. Had a pint at Monarch in Grand Rapids.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

poured into a pint glass

pours a beautiful orange/amber color. a minimal white head.

the best thing it has going for it. smells of pumpkin pie. mainly pumpkin spice with cinnamon and clove. a hint of pie crust smell.

similar to smell. a nice pumpkin flavor to it. I agree with some of other comments that the beer "base" is a bit lacking. tastes like its just a coors light with pumpkin flavor.

not enough carbonation for me. taste like flat beer...this is my 2nd one I've had and both were a bit flat tasting. As stated above, the beer 'base" is lacking. its too light for my mouth. no bitterness on the tongue. too much like water.

an average brew. could easily pound this beer, but I doubt I'd be craving a pumpkin flavored beer enough to have more than 2.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into a tulip.

Color is a bright peach-orange color that is mostly transparent with a bit of light haze. Single-finger white head falls down into a bit of light lacing and a few large carbonation bubbles. Nose is some bright and strong pumpkin spice notes along with a strong nose of cinnamon and some sweet apple.

Taste is Apple Jacks with some cinnamon and green apple components plus a bit of nutmeg and some sweet pumpkin pie. Light sweetness. Light to medium body with low amounts of carbonation. Pretty sweet and slightly cloying. Not terrible, but a bit too sweet and slightly gimmicky.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

A great pour with a thick head and nice color that is nice, light amber marzen.

The smell is very good, nice and spicy in a way that is concentrated without being overly intense.

The taste is very blah...no carryover of the nice spice notes that are on the nose. I just can't believe how empty this beer is on the palate. A big dissapointment.

The mouthfeel likewise is overly thin. Just not the nice creaminess that I like in a pumpkin spiced ale.

The drinkability is great if you never actually drink this beer. I really want to drink it after looking at it and smelling it, but after having it on the palate it is very average.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

I had read a lot about this beer from the Michigan Brewing Company so I was "excited" to find this at Delock's Liquors in Munster, IN on a recent roadtrip. Poured into a pilsener glass (my other glasses were dirty) and I'm glad I chose this type of glass because as I drink this fall concoction, the lacing just hugs the inner parts of the glass. I had hoped to give this brew better scores, but it's just a notch above average. Minimal head, one-dimensional smell, so-so taste, and mouthful was just decent. This is the fourth bottle in the six pack and I've yet to figure this beer out. Oh, well, I'm glad I tried it. I might purchase other Michigan Brewing Co. brews in the future, but will pass this one by.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: a copper orange with a 1 finger off white head

smell: nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, malts

taste: like pumpkin pie in a bottle

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

overall: a very respectable pumpkin beer. glad I got to try it.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Michigan Trip Beer #2

A- Pours a dark yellow color fading into orange. No head or lacing but I don't have high expectations because I'm drinking out of a highball glass (see Michigan Trip Beer #1: GI BCS).

S- Lots of spices- cinnamon, cloves, honey, touches of ginger. Really lots of sweet clove and cinnamon. I get some pumpkin flavor, but in a sort of sweet candy way.

T- Not nearly as sweet or spiced on the tongue as on the nose, but still sweet and spiced. More graham cracker malt. Also some hints of sweet corn, which is kinda gross- reminds me of a Shiner.

M- Light. Leaves touches of sweet candy pumpkin, but generally washes off the tongue.

O- Not the best pumpkin beer I've had. Too much spice for my taste, but I won't mark it down for that because it is in the name, but I won't be getting this again. If you're looking for a sweet desserty beer this would be a good choice.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a translucent light caramel color with a foamy off-white that shows good retention and leaves a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is very good. Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice combine with the pumpkin to give a nice pumpkin-forward aroma. Lightly sweet malt in the background.

Taste: The malt comes in a bit too soft. Slightly sweet but lacking enough punch, the pumpkin really dominates the flavor along with the spices. Cinnamon mostly, but a bit of nutmeg and all spice contribute to the pumpkin pie flavor. The end has an astringent grassy bitterness that is fairly off-putting. The finish is a little bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is a little bit light for what I would like given the flavor profile. The malt really does not hold up to the strong pumpkin and spices. The carbonation kind of gets lost. It starts light sweet and sticky, but by the end there is a light astringency.

Overall: The aroma is by far the best part about this beer. The taste is a little bit off to me with the lack of balance between the malt and pumpkin and also the astringent bitterness that comes in at the end. There are better pumpkin beers out there.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Reviewed 10/21

The beer was slightly amber and translucent. I picked up nutmeg and pumpkin spice immediately. Despite the light appearance, the aroma led me to expect a warming sensation in the mouth, but I wasn't disappointed that I was wrong. None of the flavor was overpowering and I found it very drinkable.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Best by date of 2/16/10.

Appearance: A hard pour gave a thin tan head. Clear coppery body.

Smell: Tons of pumpkin pie spice. Really phenomenal.

Taste: More pumpkin pie spice, but not as strong as it was in the smell. Finishes with a real nice bitterness.

Great example of the style.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out as a nice looking copper color, not much head though. The lacing was no where in sight. The smell of this beer was a little sweet with brown sugar and had some spice on the nose as well. The taste of the beer was like the smell, sweet spicy and had a dry finish. The mouthfeel was generously carbonated and had a medium body to it. Overall this beer wasn't too bad, definitely not my favorite pumpkin ale, but might be worth trying.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a rich dark copper hue with a nice light tan one finger covered head that dies down to a thin layer that lasts. Stickiness is pretty good, spotty here and there. Smell is of what else, pumpkin and spice. Lots of cinammon, nutmeg, and cloves. Somewhat artificial flavor, but not bad. Pretty creamy and full with a mild amount of carbonation. My first try for this style and I must say I'm surprised. I have quite a few more pumpkin ales I look forward to trying but I definitely couldn't have more than one of these styles in one sitting.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

My first pumpkin ale of the season, not bad. Smells like a pumpkin alright when you pop the top. Pours a deep redish/brown color, decent head. Yep, you can taste the spices alright. A tad sweet, not overly so though. I've had a few pumpkin ales, this one is better than the others I've tried. Basically tastes like a spicey pumpkin pie, with some cinnamon undertones. After the 3rd beer or so you start to get a tad tired of the beer, its a bit sweet for a full drinking session, you may want to mix it up with something else during the night's adventures. If you are in the mood for a pumpkin ale and having a hard time choosing which one to get, I would go with this one. I doubt it will dissappoint.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes are 2 nights old.

This beer is a bright, completely clear coppery orange with burnished gold coming all the way through in the light. The head pours dense and fades within a minute, remaining one finger high and solid when it does. Good lacing is left initially, tapering off as it goes to leaves some thin spots of lacing. There's lots of bubbly activity the whole way through.
Spices are up front on the nose, consisting of nutmeg and cinnamon, while pumpkin is not so detectable lingering underneath. For whatever reason, the spices also overpower the malts on the nose.
The flavor is the same: the spices are the feature in this one. Fortunately, it's neither overspiced nor harsh, opting for softer more flavorful spices without overusing them. This is tasty, but I think it needs more of a malt backbone to support it and give it a bit of beer character. This would be sort of a guilty pleasure, and a great holiday drink, but in good conscience I have to deduct a point for the beer aspect itself. Otherwise it hits the balance of proper sweetness and spiciness and it does have a touch of breadiness. It goes a touch sour in the finish.
My first impression is that this seems somewhat thin at first, but it really thickens out to a rich, smooth brew with a bit of body to it. My only concern is that the carbonation is kind of going wild here.
I'm a bit conflicted about this one. I'd certainly have more.

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale from Michigan Brewing Company