Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale AleMichigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-19-2002)
ckk527

South Carolina

05-29-2012 19:02:19 | More by ckk527
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

1.08/5  rDev -68.2%

A - this beer pours a light nut brown, with a thin short lived tannish head

S - this beer has a sweet/sour aroma, like sauerkraut at first, with a definite apple finish, very weird, i hope its not skunked

T - this is, sour, ugh, i hope its skunked, but i havent had for more than a few weeks its sour, very sour, like vinegar in sauerkraut

M - couldnt tell had to pour it

D - low, way to sour to be drinkable

i think this is the same beer, mine was in a 4pack of plastic bottles

04-22-2006 16:24:59 | More by sinstaineddemon
ronfrommichigan

2.08/5  rDev -38.8%

Maybe I just bought a bad six-pack, or possibly it wasn't stored properly at the store, but this beer just wasn't pleasant to me at all. When I poured it, no matter how careful I was, all I would get was a huge amount of foam, which probably meant that this particular six-pack was handled roughly. The flavor wasn't what I was expecting; for some reason it had a strong almost well-water kind of flavor to it on the first one that didn't go away as I drank more of them throughout the course of the weekend. Oh well, I won't give up on any kind of beer on just one sampling. Being a craft brewed beer, occasionally you get a bad batch. It happens.

05-11-2012 23:48:21 | More by ronfrommichigan
HardTarget

2.13/5  rDev -37.4%

Bottle Inspection: Nothing but a date, 10/06/07, which I assume is a bottled on date.

Aroma: An orange rind hop driven citric fruit smell on a lightly oversweet malt base.

Appearance: Clear copper amber glass holds a thin cover of off white that doesn't hold but gives plenty of lacing as it falls.

Flavor: The orange flavor is mild, the overly sweet base isn't. The hops go slightly earthy and leafy, and more toward the bittering end, not really to my personal preference.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is a little high, making the medium body seem lighter and the total package seem a bit fizzy.

Overall Impression: Too fizzy, wrong hops, under attenuated, not really enjoyable. I'll finish it, but I won't crave another.

Note: Once BuckeyeNation pegged the Fuggles, I understood why I didn't care for this one: I hate Fuggles.

02-29-2008 04:27:45 | More by HardTarget
Bighuge

2.2/5  rDev -35.3%

Luminescent orange. Slightly hazy. Thin cap of dirty white froth. Lace is moderate. Nose is very weak and what is there is malt orientated. No bright and shiny hop aromas. The flavor is stale and oxidized, even though this bottle was packaged less than 4 months ago. Grainy sweet malts. Little to no hop flavor. Bitterness is present to a slight degree. Body is medium-full. Carbonation is restrained. This one doesn't impress me.

04-03-2008 02:45:58 | More by Bighuge
Imstillthegman

Delaware

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

This beer pours a murky, translucent orange with bits of sediment floating throughout. No head to speak of, or lacing. Smells bready with some sour fruit scents mingling in there as well. Fruit cake gone bad? Taste is not as bad as the smell but it isn't great, either. Malts up front followed by a sour, bitter finish. Slight floral hop flavor tries to peek out but the sourness won't let it. Medium body with good carbonation...dry finish. Mouthfeel is the best part. Hopefully, I just got a bad bottle when I went to Detroit and this isn't the norm from them. I will have to try again when I go back...don't think I can finish this one.

06-22-2006 20:06:34 | More by Imstillthegman
Sixpack595

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a clear orange with good solid head. Not much aroma, if anything it smelled faintly of vomit. Taste is a bit malty with a barely noticable hop. The more I drank the more I detected the distinct taste of vomit joining the scent. I'm not sure if it was the beer or me generating the aroma, but either way its not a good sign.

02-05-2003 07:44:40 | More by Sixpack595
errantnight

2.55/5  rDev -25%

I'm not sure if my sample got too old (it doesn't bear any IMMEDIATE signs other than perhaps faded hops, although it has off flavors that may be coming more to the fore due to age) or if this was always so bad, but some positive reviews lead me to suspect it may be the case. Either way, it falls under the more disappointing column from my beer of the month club.

It does pour a very pretty copper color with a nice few fingers of head, solid retention for style and some lacing. Unfortunately, from the nose on this is a disappointment. Little hits of citrus hop pops in around some green apple and butter. On the palate these latter two notes reign supreme, insert frown face, and the sweetness sticks through, leaving it cloying. Body is a nice medium light.

Not a good beer.

08-10-2010 04:19:46 | More by errantnight
scoobybrew

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer pours out with a nice head that is very well retained. It has a light copper color. The aroma is hoppy with very faint traces of malt and some alcohol. The taste is bitter, but not overly so. It finishes very dry. The body is medium-light with moderate carbonation.

Overall, it's a decent enough pale ale, but it's more like a British pale than an American pale. Even so, it's a bit dry and could use a little more malt balance (I think).

08-27-2007 01:13:17 | More by scoobybrew
JohnLynch

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

07-11-2012 20:41:13 | More by JohnLynch
jsisko01

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance - Pours a golden-amber hue with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Has excellent lacing..

Smell - Smells very bitter.. almost like a musty smell. After a couple more intakes I can smell slight hints of caramel, lemon zest, citrus, toasted bread, and a bitter yeast aroma.

Taste - Strong caramel and toasted malts. Other than that all i taste is the yeast.. Has a pretty bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation. I love the creamy feeling from the caramel.

Overall - I really like the caramel flavor, but it would be a lot better if it wasn't so toasty. The toasty flavor doesn't pair so well with the bitterness (in my opinion). It's not a bad beer but I wouldn't buy a 6-pack of it.

12-16-2011 06:29:56 | More by jsisko01
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Amber in color, with some shy bubbles, no head retention, no even one that pops up and says hi!

Smell is floral and hoppy nothing else.

Her taste is of alcohol esters with notes of bitterness and hops that come with a floral bouquest. Quite an explosion of flavours at first, not very enjoyable for the most part

10-08-2005 05:50:16 | More by 3Vandoo
machostacos

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint glass. Freshness date: 12/09/10. Considering the brewery is roughly 20 miles from my home, this is about as fresh as it gets besides having a pint in their taproom. This is my first MBC offering, and my hopes are somewhat high, considering all the other fantastic microbreweries around southern Michigan.

A: Medium copper, clear as day with a thick, puffy brilliantly white head. Decent retention and great lacing.

S: Hmm. Earthy, buttery, lots of biscuity malts, green apple, with a slight spicy hop presence. Some citrus, but I'm really straining for it, so maybe it's just in my head (oh how I want it!) Quite underwhelming. Reminds me much more of an English Pale Ale or ESB, as others have said. Almost like they tore a page right out of Arcadia Ales' book with this one - hardly distinguishable from AA's Angler Ale.

T: About what you'd expect from the nose, except with hardly any hop presence whatsoever. Very earthy and buttery, with apples and biscuit and just the slightest bitter twang on the finish. Otherwise it finishes a little sweet, heavy on the earthen butter. This shouldn't be classified as an APA. Meh.

M: Lively carbonation, but smooth. Almost sparkly. Really no bitterness to speak of, which is disappointing. Somewhat thin body - it's a tad watery, but acceptable.

D: Overall I was pretty disappointed with this beer - I was definitely hoping for more of a SN PA/Founders PA/Alpha King contender, but alas. While not really bad by any means, it just wasn't really what I was expecting. Upon reading the box I discovered that it reads "derived from the traditional English style bitter", so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, but I was definitely hoping for a derived-from-the-traditional-American-style with this one. Tasty enough to warrant a second round, but disappointing enough to overlook next time when so many more promising offerings are just an arms-length away.

08-26-2010 04:25:36 | More by machostacos
WoodBrew

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

This is what I would refer to as a typical East Coast Pale Ale. Not alot of hop, but enough present to at least make it palletable. The appearance is a clear amber with thin to no head and therefore no lacing. The smell is fairly weak, there is some hop...thinking cascade...not sure though. The taste is...eh. If there are other options I would at least try them before settling on this. Mouthfeel is ok, could session if had to.

05-05-2011 00:45:43 | More by WoodBrew
frazbri

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Mackinac Pale Ale from Michigan Brewing poured clear copper topped by a creamy white head and good lacing. The aroma had some bread and fruit notes, but not much of either. A fruity slight apricot flavor starts things out, and bitterness finishes the flavor. Body was medium, and carbonation medium to high.

This is an unobtrusive pale ale. It has a nice bitter finish. The aromatics just don't come into play.

07-12-2005 02:26:58 | More by frazbri
jaidenjb

10-13-2012 16:53:51 | More by jaidenjb
1fastz28

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

pours a reddish amber copper color with a small head, looks pretty good really. after the appearance thought the beer is pretty mediocre, its smell is average, just not alot there, just some weak hop aromas. the taste is weak too, just not alot of flavor just some weak hop flavor. i've had 3 new beers tonight and i haven't been impressed really by any of them, maybe i've had too many DIPA's lately and i've spoiled myself.

02-22-2008 04:41:04 | More by 1fastz28
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from the bottle an amber-gold color with a light head.

Nice aroma of sweet malts and toffee.

Roasted malts along with a slight coffee taste. I also note a bit of a bitter mineral aftertaste.

Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

This is a decent pale ale that you could enjoy in quantity.

05-27-2007 22:22:23 | More by Monkeyknife
onefmatt

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours a copper color w/ a creamy head.

S: Aroma is that of 2-row pale malt, very bready. Some fruit and caramel smell. Mild hop aroma.

T: Decent malt character. Caramel again is present. Hop character is more mild than I would like.

M: Lighter body, but still acceptable.

D: Decent. Might grab for another pale ale, but this would be fine if there were no other choices.

11-28-2010 21:36:20 | More by onefmatt
ABOWMan

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

This ale poured a light amber color with two fingers of fine white head. The ale was fairly cloudy with some yeast residue apparent. There was no lacing apparent on my pint glass and the head was short lived.

The aroma was malty with some caramelized brown sugar notes.

The flavor was sweet malt, followed by fruity orange and roasted grain.

The mouthfeel was quite effervescent, almost to the point of being distracting. As a result, I didn't rate drinkability very high for a beer that should have been very drinkable.

03-16-2010 18:47:57 | More by ABOWMan
MIBeerRanger4

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Just redcently had a pint of this APA in Sault Ste Marie, MI.
A= nice golden color. Head was non existing when beer was served to me. This could be because the place was packed and my beer tookm a bit to get to the table?? But there was no head or lacing with this beer.

S= smell was a bit more mild than I expect (or like) from a MI pale ale. Had a sweet-ish aroma as well.

T= taste was nice. Clean and crisp with good malt/hop bitterness balance. I was surprised the beer was this nice after the nose being so muted.

M= beer was a bit flat. Not going to go into it suffice it to say, it may have been the pour I got from the bar?

O= Overall, average at best. I will try this beer again sometime to see what a really fresh one is like. I liked the "heart" of this beer and could tell that something pretty good was in there.. had I got it fresh!

02-20-2012 03:21:21 | More by MIBeerRanger4
bark

Sweden

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Sold as "Miackinac Summer Ale" in Sweden.

The colour is copper-amber. The two finger head is airy and beige with a small crater. Some lacing.

The smell is fresh and mild: Hoppy notes of grass, lemons and rye bread.

The taste is fruity and balanced. Some mild bitter flavours, hoppy hints of flowers and nuts. There is a malty background of rye bread, crisp bread and a very mild sweetness. The aftertaste is mild with some bread and a fragile lager-like bitterness.

The carbonation is mild. Some large bubbles, the liquid is smooth.

A very gulpable ale, that reminds me more of English bitters than American pale ales. Still it lacks some character and borders to being forgettable.

06-08-2008 17:30:50 | More by bark
CSFerrier

Kansas

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

05-02-2012 23:00:39 | More by CSFerrier
oberon

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a orange color with not much head to speak of,aroma is of herbal with malty nuttiness but pretty subdued.Taste is decently balanced with a light soapy hint some resiny hop with a nutty malt finish.Not a great brew by any means but it was worth a try.

03-20-2004 01:31:08 | More by oberon
Spiekerbox

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A- pours and orange-gold color with a thin white head that recedes quickly, as i have noticed most MBC beers pour.

S- Citrus hops up front with some sweet bread malts.

T- Hop flavor with bready and sweet malts a little fruit flavor near the end. Bitterness is present at the beginning but dosen't last. Almost a watery finish, not many recognizable flavors linger after a drink.

M- Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Finishes rather crisp.

D- Not a bad beer but out of a style with so many great contenders it does nothing to set itself apart. Overall a beer that I can enjoy occasionally but would get sick of it if I used it as a session beer, though there is nothing about it "un-sessionable" per-say

09-22-2010 02:33:04 | More by Spiekerbox