Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

good

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)

Pillowburn, May 02, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

It's back...the same recipe and label, now brewed by the Michigan Brewing Co. Notes from the 2002 GABF, multiple samples over 3 days.....Cloudy golden to nearly orangish hue to it. Smell is full of spices, coriander, orange peel, lemon. To say Citrus is an understatement. Very crisp and refreshing belgian wit yeasty goodness, matched with the subtle orange, and coriander make it a very memorable taste. Light bodied, but not watery at all. Full of flavors until the bottom. Leaves you wanting more and more. This beer needs to be distributed to the long Florida summers. Very very refreshing and the ultimate thirst quencher. Every bit as good as Hoeggarden and some others....the search should be on everywhere for this beer.

StevieW, Oct 27, 2002
4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours a very cloudy, banana yellow. It has a thin head and the lacing evaporates, but it still has more character than the average white.

S: The smell is very smooth. I smell citrus, banana and spice. Few beers can offer this complexity in the taste, let alone the smell.

T: It is very sweet and very wheat. I can taste citrus, coriander, wheat and banana. On another very good note, there is no orange peel burn common in most white beers. It also finishes with the sour twang of a lemon-lime soda.

M: The mouthfeel is a little thicker. It reminds me of a banana-citrus smoothie except it doesn't weigh me down.

D: It is very drinkable with no afterafects. I had already suffered through the Michigan Brewing Co.'s Porter and AIPA and I was still able to enjoy this.

The Irish Dry Stout is still the best style but this may be my new favorite beer.

nicksta, Apr 10, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This used to be my favorite bottled beer brewed in Texas until Miller bought them and closed them down (bastards!). In fact, I remember after my last final of the semester during grad school going to one of the local bars and drinking 9 half-yards of the stuff. I would have gone for 10, but they ran out! The bartender actually came over to shake my hand and to tell me how impressed he was. Anyway, I’ve been waiting for a somewhat happy occasion to review it, and low and behold, I finally finished up my taxes today and for the first time in many a year, I’m actually getting a refund rather than having to pay! So, enter Celis White. Pours a beautiful light golden color with a creamy white head. Nose is spicy with some strong lemony aromas. Taste also has lots of spice—clove, nutmeg, allspice, and coriander—followed by some nutty yeast flavors and lots of lemony citrus. Finish is very crisp and refreshing. A marvelous beer and every bit as good as I remember it being when it was brewed here in Texas. Thank God it’s finally back!

Morris729, Apr 15, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

usualpulp, Apr 03, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I got this because it was pretty cheap and I didn't have much money on me. I was told by the worker at the store where I got it that this wasn't that good of a beer. I don't think he even drank it, because this was an amazing wit! I can't believe that this comes from the Mich. Brewing Co. They're a little substandard with most of their beers except this one. Pours beautiful with a creamy white head. Smells of lemon, orange, and some coriander. Tastes very citrusy mixed with some spicyness which comes from the yeast and from other spices. A bready yeasty goodness comes forth. It finishes with a dry yeastiness and a little sour which makes me want more. A simple, refreshing, and amazing beer all in one!

granger10, Jul 21, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

I really like this beer. Totally drinkable, totally enjoyable. Not only a good crossover beer for those getting into craft beers, but an solid brew that demands respect from the most descriminating BA. Pours out to a cloudy yellow color with a nice white foamy head and some minor traces of lace. Medium high carbonation. The aroma is inviting; odors of cooked corn, sweet bread and some floral notes. Very nice. Taste was fantastic, and very well blended. Flavors of corn, malt, hops, grain and notes of citrus and yeast. The carbonation really brings the nuances of this beer to the senses. Finished with a zing. Very well made beer. I will be having more of these. This is the best Witbier I have had, and one of the best beers I have ever had. Highly recommended.

Frozensoul327, Aug 28, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Beautifully cloudy, straw golden with a meringue-like white head atop fine bubbles. Retention is good, with minimal lacing. The look of this brew conjures up fine memories. Mild to moderate carbonation. Aroma is of smoke, sharp cheddar cheese, cloves, sweet vanilla, wheat crackers, and pineapple in that order. Mouthfeel is soft, wet and effervescent, with a light body. Taste is lightly sour and acidic with light cloves and a crisp, watery finish with a hint of grainy astringency. There is a hint of lemon towards the end with mild breadiness. The hops are very delicate and mild.

This is just great stuff...unique, tasty, and very easy to drink. I drank this about 10 years ago when it was brewed by Pierre in Texas, and I can't recall any specifics. I can't say whether the MBC version is true to the original or not, but it doesn't matter cause it's good enough to stand on it's own. A classic...better than Hoegaarden IMO, and replacing Oberon as my standard summer brew.

Mitchster, May 04, 2003

vanillacokaine, Dec 21, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

served from 12 oz. brown bottle.

pours a nice "white" color. only slightly cloudy, but it is bottle conditioned. smallish head for this style...and it recedes quickly.
smells just amazing. you can really smell the distinctive yeast that they use in both this beer and in the celis raspberry. very grassy, herbal and tea-like. tase is superb. very light and drinkable, yet the spicey-citrusy kick really delivers. a nice, subtle witbier that i found to be extremely drinkable. both this and the raspberry are very good beers, imho. great summer beers!

vitesse, Sep 07, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Beer pours a hazy, light, straw yellow with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, some lacing left in glass. Smell is of bitter orange peel, coriander and some citrus zest. Taste is of citrus and orange peel, citrus zest and coriander that are blended well and not overdone. Carbonation is good, not over done. Mouth feel was soft and tart.

A great beer from an American brewery where Wit beers are rarely done as well and their Belgian counterparts. Refreshing and well done, especially as it warms closer to room temperature.

rugerj, Jul 07, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Pale gold body--a bit darker than other examples--with slight haze. Sticky, gauzy white head that laces well. Candied wheat malt on the nose with freshly ground coriander, orange peel, lemon zest, and delicious yeastiness. Very aromatic and inviting.

Rich wheat malt with notes of toffee, wheat bread, and candied banana. Coriander and citrus zest come in nicely. Medium-bodied with refreshing carbonation. Very nice witbier!

alexgash, Sep 06, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Clean, light and jammed full of flavor like a 300 pounder in a size six. Pale clouded streaming lemon under a weak white head. Nose of citrus pound cake and honeyed green tea. A draught tears through layers of flavor quick--sugared limes, coriander seeds, spicy hop--then it's gone. Poof! And your buds are ready to ride again. As good as the one I had ten years ago, I think. Pierre may not be brewing it, but his name lives on. Thanks trbeer!

inebrius, Apr 02, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Appears a cloudy straw-yellow with some orange tint. Leaves a substantial head with decent retention and lacing.

Smells are exactly what you'd expect from a witbier -- wheaty yeasts, orange peel and coriander. Very pleasant and inviting -- it hits you right when you open the bottle. The taste is similar without as much of the coriander as in the smell. Very citrusy tanginess balanced out by a good dose of malty sweetness that isn't overpowering or cloying.

Pretty light-bodied feel with a snappy, refreshing crispness. Not the strongest beer in the alcohol sense but complex enough to hold your interest, making this a perfect summer session beer.

Possibly my favorite in this style, though I can only find it at one place around here, and they seem to only carry it during the late summer.

eberkman, Aug 14, 2007
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the beers that first lured me into beer geekdom many years ago. Since then, the brewery/recipe has changed hands a few times and was unavailable for awhile. Even now, it's hard to get, but I had to get my hands on some.

The beer isn't as hazy or cloudy as I remember, which is too bad. The smell is very good, with stong floral and grain overtones, plus a citrus edge. The mouthfeel is crisp, with pinpoint carbonation. There are enough hops to somewhat balance the tastes of citrus and sweetness.

There's a lingering aftertaste that extends the flavor's life and invites drinkers to sip slowly in order to enjoy each mouthful. Still, the beer is good enough that I couldn't linger too long between each bend of my elbow.

I'm glad to have you back, old friend.

GnomeKing, Aug 17, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

After a couple months of not seeing this around Detroit stores, I picked this up sometime in June and just had it the other day. I must say, this one's so much better on tap, I think. It still has that kick ass citrus flavor that's present in the draught version. But it -- or at least my bottle -- was just a little bit of a lesser version of itself. Carbonation seemed a tiny bit weak, and this seemed just a little thinner. Wits are by nature thin, so it's hardly a significant knock against this beer. But nonetheless, I think if you spot this in a bar, it's a sure fire winner. The bottles are great too, but it's not quite the same beergasm.

marburg, Jul 21, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Light lager" yellow but hazy. Small white head that settles to a cap but sticks. Aroma is meatloaf, clove, ketchup, and fresh veggies. Peculiar that I enjoyed those aromas. Flavor is smooth lightly sweet corn with other veggies, herbs, and spices. Bright sizzly carbonation dances on the tongue.

Hell yeah, nice Belgian yeast character really is polished in this one and makes the big difference. I could drink a lot of these.

waughbrew, Sep 05, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearence: Pours an appropiately hazy orangish-yellow with a decent white head that dies down to a collar, but lasts forever.

Smell: The smell is a pleasent mix of grains and yeast. Corn is present, as well as the wheat, with subtle fresh hop notes.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Now this is a good wit. Everthing that needs to be there is. The smoothness, and creaminess, as well as balance, ability to quench thirst, and wonderful flavors are all present, and create a very nice drinking experience. The only thing I could really ask for would be a little bit more flavor.

Drinkability and Overall: I'm glad I got to try this. This a very good, smooth classic beer with enough drinkability to keep me going for a while. I would definitly reccomend this beer.

Glass: Standard Pilsener Glass
Music: "Population Control" by Company Flow

santoslhalper, Dec 30, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appears a somewhat hazy pale straw color with a big white three finger head that continues to rise. The bubbles swirling up from the bottom make it quite a beautiful sight. A decent amount of lacing.

Aroma is similar to most other Witbiers. Tangy wheat malt, coriander, and a hint of orange and lemon.

The flavor here really puts this one up a notch from many other Wits. First there is a honey like sweetness that quickly mingles with the spiciness of the wheat and coriander. It finishes with a soft lemony touch.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and so smooth. Insanely soft on the palate.

This is easily the best Witbier that I have ever had. The carbonation level is fairly high but where others would be very crisp and verging on harsh, this manages to stay so smooth. At such low alcohol content, it's highly sessionable.

roadhouse, Jul 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

While in Cincinnati for the National Homebrewers Conference, I stopped by Jungle Jim's and found this long lost old friend. I lived in Austin when Pierre Celis opened his brewery and it was my favorite beer. Thanks, Miller, for killing it.

A - Pours up golden yellow with a thin white head. Somewhat hazy, but mostly clear.

S - Some citrus aroma with spice

T - Sweet citrus dominates, with some spice in the background. Finished sour. I had forgotten how sour this was. I thought it was a sweeter beer.

M - Mouthfeel is good.

D - I really like this beer and could easily work my way through the whole six-pack. Very drinkable.

hiikeeba, Jun 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

A-pours a hazy straw/yellow color with a white head with good retention settles into a thin lace around the glass
S-lemon,spice(coriander?), hay, low to medium hop aroma
T-similar to the aroma, with lemon and spice but a really nice malt flavor as well. It's not heavy or overbearing but it definitely pronounced. It's almost like a nice creamy oat flavor.
M-light-medium bodied, good amount of carbonation
O-great brew. I really liked the creaminess and amount of flavors in this beer while still keeping the body light and refreshing. None of the flavors outpowered the other and instead had a nice transition between each.

atr2605, Sep 17, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a tulip a pale yellow with a finger of head. Can't say the color was all that appetizing, but held into front of a light it turned a beautiful golden-orange, never saw a beer do that before. Very interesting.

Smell was rich with a well-captured orange & spice scent, like a candle in the way it was just so rounded. Some other citrus, a little lemon, slight nutmeg, that je ne sais quoi from Belgian yeast.

Taste was similar to flavor at first, then developed a kind of dryness to it, like a saison, toward the bottom of the glass. Very tasty for a light, delicate beer.

Mouthfeel was nice & active, some tingly sensations. Went down smooth, left a slightly bready aftertaste.

A very good drinker, excellent with food (had this with a red Thai curry). I appreciate that this is very well-made, yet still inexpensive & available in these parts.

OneDropSoup, Nov 07, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

poured a cloudy light amber color with modest white head that was retained throughout the glass. The smell is strong of spices and corriander and excites the nose. Taste is fantastic and really pleases the mouth. Aftertaste is superb with a slight dryness. Great drinking beer.

tgbljb, Jul 30, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a medium head and lacing. The head left after a few sips while the lacing dissipated but didn't fully leave.

You could, of course, smell the wheat in this beer and maybe a little bit of a citrus aroma to it as well. Very inviting beer.

The taste was fantastic, I really enjoy lighter beers and this was for sure one for remembering. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary as it tastes like a witbier but that's what I like about it. They didn't try to "kick it up a notch". As a matter of fact this tastes almost exactly like the Belgian Whitecap I had while in Traverse City.

I would definitely drink this beer again. I went to a store to create my own 6-pack and chose this beer as one of them and when I returned home, I was surprised/excited to see I had forgotten I had already purchased one a few months back! I didn't have to wait for it to get cold!

CoSMoSYS, Sep 24, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Aroma: Strong sour like smell with background of lemon pepper.
Appearance: Very light yellow, clear with a modest head that thins, but hangs.
Flavor: A classic wit taste. The sour in the aroma isn’t overpowering, but it’s there. I get a lot of citric acid, lemon notes again. This is strong enough to trigger a bit of the saliva glands in my jaw, but I could take stronger.
Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, refreshing.
Overall Impression: I too knew and respected the Austin Celis White (Damn you Miller, Damn YOU!!) and this is a close approximation. Up the coriander a bit more (this is a bottle I’ve been saving for a bit, so it may have faded) and beef the body up a touch, especially the protein for better head retention. Kudos to Michigan Brewing for saving this one from the abyss of beers gone by.

HardTarget, Oct 04, 2003