Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002

2.32/5  rDev -38.5%

Let the flaming begin? I can't be the only who feels this way...

Appearance: light straw color, lustrous snow-white resilient head, bubbly, tasteful amount of haze (after swirling the last bit of beer and dumping it in)

Aroma: very subtle aroma of honey, coriander, wheat, some appley fruitiness, wet cardboard (oxidized), musty

Flavor: tastes sweetened, some orange coriander and a whole lot of orange-peel, a strange sourness followed by an even stranger bitter aftertaste (like a bar of soap) that hits in the back corners of my tongue, little to no hop flavor (but that's expected in this style)

Mouthfeel: light body, zesty carbonation

Overall Impression: Man, was I disappointed in this beer! While I never tried the original Celis, I can't say whether or not the new owners botched it up, but I do like Hoegaarden Wit. The aftertaste is very off-putting, somewhere between chewing on orange peels and sucking on a bar of lye soap -- seems to me like this would stem from using way too much bitter orange peel. Also, it seems llike it's been sweetened slightly with artificial sweetener. I actually had to dump it! I wonder of Pierre has tasted this version...

Perhaps it was a bad bottle?

2.33/5  rDev -38.2%

A-Pours a cloudy yellow color. Small head that dissappears too quickly. No lacing and very dull.

S-Citrus and coriander notes. Very tart almost stale.

T-Very tart, citrus taste with light coriander spice. Very sweet and not very balanced. I thinked my beer is old or skunked because I can't believe Pierre would allow Michigan Brewing to ruin his masterpiece like that.

M-Light with no carbonation. Flat and sour. Crap, it is skunked.

D-I remember when Celis still brewed in Austin and this was one of my all-time favorites. The move north to Michigan didn't help it at all. This may true only from states at the outer range of distribution but to ruin the beer in the state that it was born in is a crime. Pierre, please come back to Texas.

2.54/5  rDev -32.6%

I heard about Celis White from a friend, and after reading good reviews, I had a friend from Texas send me a 6 pack. I really enjoy the Belgian White beers, and had high expectations from Celis White. This bottled sample was from the Michigan Brewing Co.

At first pour I noticed a terrific aroma and classic color. The carbonation was good.
The first sip of this beer was not at all what I had expected. It's much more intense than Hoegaarden, or Blue Moon, but too citrus, and had a zesty sour lemon taste.
Although light and refreshing, this beer didn't suit my palette.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

This one pours out a hazy pale golden color with a frothy white head.
Its aroma is of yeast and some spice (clove).
The flavor is a bit watered down (even for a witbier), but is of yeast and wheat. There is a little clove and citrus as well.
Mouth feel is very thin and highly carbonated.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

I picked this beer at OBF when I was to walk from one end of the venue to the other. It was a poor choice for travelling with.

The ale poured a hazy white with very active carbonation, almost like seltzer. The smell was ripe fruit and sugar. The taste was overwhelmingly of white grape, and unpleasantly sour. The aroma and taste were accurate reflections of each other. The body of the beer was clearly missing as there was no detectable malt sweetness, rather just the almost grainy sweetness of fruit. The further I walked, the flatter it became, and oddly enough, the more drinkable. The last sip, quite warm and flat, was probably the best.

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Pretty hard to mess up a wheat beer, but this one isn't very good at all. The taste is unacceptable for the category. Very bland, and a bit off.

The smell is okay, prolly the best aspect of the beer.

You can drink it, but there is nothing that will make you come back to it.

2.67/5  rDev -29.2%

Smells of yeast and believe it or not Spam! Pours to a cloudy yellow orange with a little fizzy head. Taste is very wheaty, malty at first followed by spices then a light hop bitterness. Carbonation is high, too high in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. A unique brew. Definitely Belgian, quite primative. Not a flavor I would seek out again however.

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Celis White, Michigan Brewing's re-incarnated version of the Pierre Celis original, is a citrusy, light and easy-to-drink wit; it also doesn't hold a candle to the better versions of this style that are out on the market these days.

It's pale golden and transluscent with a good head. The bouquet showcases lemon and apple, along with the hint of plastic and orange that I expect in a wit. Unfortunately, Celis White doesn't hold together on the tongue--it's overrun by lemon flavors and lacks any malt presence to balance out the sweeter flavors. It's not sweet or spicy enough to be cloying, and the lemon flavors give way to a watery finish. It's thin and unbalanced...a disappointing wit all around. For Michigan wits, I'll stick with Bell's Winter White from here on out.

Not recommended.

2.87/5  rDev -23.9%

My beer pours out a very clear, light yellow -- not the hazy white/yellow I remember from when this beer was brewed in Austin. (I based my appearance score on this.) Very light head. My bottle is also severly oxidized, with a heavy wet cardboard nose. Lightly tart flavor with a hint of coriander and the taste of dead yeast. Nothing of the lively, but not overpowering spiciness, of the former incarnation of this beer. Clinging aftertaste of of dead yeast.

I really hope this is just a bad (or very old) 6-pack, because what I'm drinking now is not very good. Celis White used to be a world-class beer; now I can barely choke this down. I'll give this a try again in the near future because I really don't want to believe this beer has fallen so far.

2.89/5  rDev -23.3%

Paid 1.69 for a single. Appearance is straw yellow, almost transparent. Little haze. Not much head at all. Smell is classic witbier. Taste is a little winey, but otherwise captures the essence of Belgian witbier. Good honey and wheat. Mouthfeel is too fizzy, and too syrupy.

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow color with a faint head. The aroma is of yeast and some citrus, oranges and lemons. The taste is a little bland, a yeasty flavor with hints of oranges and lemons, and a very faint hop bite. The mouthfeel is dry and moderately high carbonation. Overall it is an okay drinkable beer, there is nothing to dislike about it, but it is very bland.

12 oz bottle pours cloudy and light with standard white head and some scattered lacings. Average head retention.

Aroma is spicy, banana, clove with kind of a musty odor. No date on the bottle so hard to say what this is.

Taste is banana / clove, with some spicyness and a fairly strong sour apple tart belgium yeast flavor. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated but maybe a bit wet with a dry tart finish. Not extremely smooth front to back sweet up front and really tart finish.

Comparing to true belguim wits, like Hoegarden it seems a bit rough around the edges. Tartness is very distinct more so that usual and in general a bit off flavor, wits and weiss beers have a short shelf life so not knowing how old this bottle is really hurts this review. I'll be nice and call this one average.

An average white beer. This beer poured a translucent colour with a pretty nice, white, cap of foam on top. It had the aromas of citrus (orange), yeast, candy sugar, and curacao. It tastes a lot like Hoegaarden but it was little too heavy on the citrus flavors for my taste. The mouthfeel was pretty creamy and smooth but a bit thin as well and the drinkability was marred by the taste.
Decent, overall.
Cheers to Morris729 for the sample!

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Cloudy orangish beer with a shy head that runs away quite fast. Smell of cereals are very present with notes of fruits, banana and apples but some oranges smells are present.

At first when tasting it a weird taste of reminding me of cheese was present but this quickly dissapeared. A sour beer, cereal flavours, that ends with shy notes of fruits and hops

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours very light straw colored with a faint cloudiness. Seems to be mostly filtered, may be a very thin film of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Yeasty aroma of bananas wafts up, with some wheat there as well. Taste is pale malts with grainy wheat feel. Low carbonation enhances the otherwise subtle fruitiness. Slight metallic finish mixed with yeast. Not terrible, but a fairly pedestrian version of a witbier.

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Light gold in color. Not a clear beer by any means, slightly cloudy. You can still see through the glass but just slightly. Good head at pour, but subsides very quickly leaving lacing on the glass.

S - Great Belgian beer smell, exactly what I would expect from a Belgian white.

T - Good flaver although there is a feeling of something missing which leaves a feeling of light on taste.

M - Good carbonation, but a lighter beer than expected.

D - Average, overall this is just a typical Belgian white.

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a regular pint glass.

Appearance was pale yellow, cloudy, mildly carbonated, with a thick, frosty head, and nice, white lacing that forms a thin but surprisingly full film as I drink.

Smell was pleasant, crisp, with citrus and spice notes prevalent, as well as a hint of grass.

Taste was a disappointment after the smell, however. Citrus and spice notes are still present, as well as wheat and a hint of yeast tartness, but overall rather bland.

Mouthfeel is ... ugh. Maybe I just got a bad beer or botched the pour, but this beer is almost entirely flat. It's thin, almost watery, almost no kick in the mouth at all. The feel is just all wrong for what I would expect out of a crisp, chilling white.

Drinkability is average - I would order this over a Blue Moon, but give me an Allagash White or a Hoegaarden over this any day. The mouthfeel on this one just really kills it for me - it has character in the nose and taste, but the feel is just all wrong.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

12 oz bottle. Entire contents pours up a cloudy yellow maize color with a foamy eggshell head. Some unmalted wheat aromas with some standardized witbier aromas of coriander and seville orange rind. Odd "cooked hot dog water" aroma, however, I've noticed this also in a witbier brewed from Belgium. This odd aroma carries over into the taste as well, more defined as the beer warms from serving temp. Otherwise, it has pretty good witbier qualities; a decent body with a light acidity in the wheat, signature spicings, citrusy esters and seems generally likeable. This witbier certainly is not bad, just not what I look for in a witbier.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

A - a hazy straw under w fluffy, small head, poured into a pilsner glass.

S - too faint for the style, gave off notes of fruits and light spices, but overall, not aromatic enough.

T - I will give credit where its due, and the distinct, imported, dried apricot taste that comes through mid palate is very pleasing, however...

M - there is a long, long metallic finish for a wheat, more like an abbey. It's a bit off for me.

D - due to the finish, it's drinkability is reduced t average, where any wheat whould be higher, to me.

3.16/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Hoegarden style glass.

Appearance is pretty decent. Head is tight bubbled with a real small bubbled foamy white head. Body is a typical cloudy lemon yellow and gray, but the head leaves some minimal lacing and a decent puck throughout drinking.

Nose is distinctly buttery with a small wheat chew fairly pleasant but sort of faulty.

Taste is chewy sweet with a sugar sense. Palate texture feels solid and fine, but grain and wheat angle seems a bit burried. Citrus angle seems strangely artificial if not totally non existent.

Overall a mild buttery but also overly sweet Witbier that is missing wheat backbone and a citrus angle.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass

The beer pours a hazy yellow, thin head that rapidly vanishes. Upon the initial smell, it reminded me of the Saison I had tried the other night but not as strong.

As the chill came off the fruit flavors come out. A lemon zest flavor along with orange. I was surprised after my initial reaction to the smell that I enjoyed this beer. Not one of my favorites, but I thought I might be taking the Belgian Whites off my list, but this will get me to try more. I would let this sit out a bit from the fridge before drinking, it became more enjoyable and flavorful as the chill came off.

The carbonation is tingly on the tongue, and a slight silky texture.

It is mildly sweet, not bitter and refreshing. It peaks my interest to try more Belgian Whites.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a hazy corn yellow with a multi-sized soap foam head. Smell of bananas and grainy malts. Taste is a somewhwat watery, banana flavor hits the palate first, then some citrus and spice. Other notes of light fruit present as well, like pears and some apricot or peach. Oddly sweet at first, then fades away. A thin bubbly body with a mild yeasty finish.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a Pint glass with good head and very minimal lacing. Bottle Date: 02/24/09.

Smell is fruity spiced, but overall weak for this style.

Taste was also a let down. I almost thought I was drinking a Hefeweizen, not a wit.

I wish I had the chance to drink the old Austin version, I heard good things about it back then. But I would say it was overated if it was anything like this.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours cloudy, but very bright yellow. Head dissipates quickly to a thin ring.

Smell is quite lemony, with mild citrus aroma of orange and apricot. Underlying spices, including corriander, nutmeg, and cinnimon.

Taste is similiar to the nose. Spices present a stronger bite than the nose led me to expect. Finish is sour, with surprising bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Slightly watery.

Overall a drinkable brew, but nothing to get too excited about. Worth a try.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This whitbier pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow wheat with a light effervescent head. The head recedes quickly and leaves no lace to speak of. No too impressive but still fairly characteristic of the style.

The aroma is primarily of grassy wheat notes. There is a bit of banana and grainy/cereal character. Very mild but pleasant.

Bright grainy wheat in the flavor. Also yeastiness, banana, citrus and lots of grassy notes are present. Just a bit of spice as well. Sweeter with honey notes in the finish. A slightly vinous quality emerges at the end too. Accurate to the style but certainly on the lighter, more mellow end.

Light airy and crisp on the palate. Thickens a bit as it warms and becomes medium bodied by the finish. Medium to high carbonation. Well done but nothing really jumps out at me.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company