Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)

buddyvelt, Dec 21, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Cloudy light gold. Huge very fine rocky head settles slowly to a thin full cap.

Nose is quite wheaty with a touch of phenol and a big whack of sour orange.

Light and grainy in the mouth. Substantial sour orange component. Good spiciness, and a touch of yeast. Quite sour on the palate, but in a very refreshing manner. Very soft carbonation gives a silky mouthfeel. Long and refreshing, with a lingering sour orange finish. Very nice.

I, frankly, drank a lot of Austin Celis and this is pretty darn close to the best of my recollection. It definitely has a touch more orange, and comes across as more sour, but its a damn fine beer in its own right.

Realale, Jul 07, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw/yellow. A large pillowing and fluffy head forms a sticks around for a bit. Light lace is left behind.
S: Musky and funky hey aroma. Some yeast, banana, and citrus aromas.
T: Banana and clove with some citrus flavors. Some doughy malt. Not very complex, but enjoyable.
M/D: A medium body. Well carbonated and creamy. A very easy witbier to drink. This is something that I could session.

A really good Witbier. I am usually not a fan of this style, though I if I had more of this quality that would change. I wish I could of tried this when it was the Celis Brewery in Austin though.

champ103, Oct 19, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Poured aggressively to give about a quarter inch head of loose active bubbles on top of a mostly clear pale straw liquid. The head fell in less than a minute, and there were few bubbles rising to maintain it.

Aroma: Dry biscuity wheat malt along with some orangey citrus and what smells like some light spiciness...perhaps coriander?

Taste: Very light bodied and refreshing. The grainy sweetness dominates the flavor also. There seems to be a light banana flavor in here also, that I am just getting in the nose since I tasted it. The orange flavors mix nicely with the beer.

Opinion: I think that this is a pretty good beer. I think that I am reviewing it during the right month, but its just not hot enough in the room I'm in for such a quencher. This is super light, but may be too flavorful for a newbie. Still, this one that I would recommend trying.

SkeeterHawk, Sep 02, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Received in my monthly shipment o' beers from the BotM Club.

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Ultra pale gold, hazy, with a finger or two of craggy head, that dissipates moderately, leaving a thin ring and some light spotting, moderate lacing.

Aroma is wonderful, stone fruit and orange with a touch of spice, coriander and clove, it's robust and full, with just a hint mint on the finish.

On the palate this is almost bold in its flavor, particularly considering the style and the ABV. A round, full early to mid palate carries a pleasing sweetness of grain and unleavened bread. Spices play around the edge before filing in on the finish on the backs of a tannic acidity. Which is the only place where this falls a little flat, on the back half it gets faintly watery, which I think is a failing of the carbonation, which is in turn a failing of this not being bottle conditioned.

I feel like I may have scored this a little low, and I wish this were bottle conditioned, but this still has elements of a world class beer, is superbly drinkable anyway. Something I'd be happy to down a sixer of on a warm summer evening.

errantnight, Aug 07, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Bummer this one is not as rich and flavorful as the old Austin Celis, I wasnt able to fully appreciate how great it was while in college...anyway, this one aint bad though!

Appears a hazy yellow color and a heavy pour yields a thin, large bubbled head that fades to a sheen rapidly.

Plenty of delicious smells in this brew. The obvious coriander and orange peel are most prominent, but of note is the softening and roundness of them here. Also has some bready and biscuity notes and something that hints at soapiness and cantaloupe.

A veritable party of flavors in the mouth - tart, sweet, spicy and sour. Nice blend of refreshing and full body characteristics.

I'm a sucka for a good wit, and while this one is not as good as it's predecessor, it is still a really good beer...especially for our 12 month summers here.

twiggamortis420, Jan 09, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American pint glass. With a small bright white colored head. It is slightly cloudy with a pale golden color and a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma is a crisp citrus with coriander and lemon notes. At 3.9% I wasn't expecting a ton of flavor. It doesn't lack but its extremely light with a nice light citrus. The spices in the aroma come through and help balance the beer, but it still falls somewhat sort. But overall very drinkable and a pleasant treat. I could see this being especially tasty on a hot summer day.

beerad666, Apr 29, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Enjoyed in a tumbler. Trying it for only the second time after my first one 5 years ago at the Dog and Duck in Austin, TX.

A: 3/4 finger pure white head. Cloudy bright yellow with gold core! This is definitely a Belgian white from the master!

S: Coriander and limey-citrus and maybe I smell a tad of orange. Some great malt.

T: Delicate and complex. Wheat malt with coriander and citrus brightness holding it in check. Lots of checks and balances in this beer. Maybe just a little too much coriander.

M: Good carbonation, but slightly prickly and a little over bitter from the spices.

D: Very good, but not great. A little deterrent from over spicing.

dfillius, Nov 08, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a matching cloud sitting on top. Nose is bready with lemon curd. Delicious, light citrus and banana wit, spicy and very creamy for the style. Great summertime refresher/quencher. Thanks alot to Kramer17801 for the bottle.

thaichile, Jul 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Beer pours quite nicely into a pint glass with a thick white fluffy head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. It's a nice pale cloudy yellow color.

S - Nice fruity aroma with a hint of spice and yeast in there. I'm getting lemon too.

T - Nice yeasty taste with a hint of sourness and spice. Quite enjoyable.

M - Carbonated and almost creamy mouthfeel. Light bodied.

D - Extremely drinkable. In the summer I could drink this by the case load out in the yard.

mcowgill, Oct 30, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

A: a very dull yellow hue. very cloudy, as they do. billowy bright white head sits on top.

S: lemon, clove. there is a definite acidic smell here. maybe a little barny. there is an earthy and chalkyness from the yeast.

T: similar to the nose, the acidity comes across the palate in the form of limes and lemons. there is a minor bready, malty backbone, but oh so light. a little bit of ginger.

M: moderate amount of carbonation on one of the lightest bodies ive come across.

D: super light body with a decent amount of flavor certainly makes this drinkable. the tart acidity is a nice touch. from what i understand, one of the classics in witbiers. glad a friend made me pick one up.

Jimmys, Jan 27, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Getting toward the end of summer, so I figured I should try this one out before it goes away till next year.
Pale golden color, not much head to speak of.
Variety of aromas to start, I really need to get one of those kits so I can place the aromas better. I suppose it was clove or coriander. I thought maybe a bit of banana too.
Good wheater, a bit of citric tartness in the flavor which also adds a little bite on the tongue.
I really enjoyed this, and I'll be looking for more next summer, along with other examples of the style.

weasbri, Sep 11, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Pale cloudy dark orange color. White head fades to a film, thicker around the edges. Little to no lacing.

S - Fruity yeasty banana scent, with some earthy wheatstalk notes.

T/M - Starts out with a crisp carbonation hit, medium consistency, flavor is creamy with sweet yeast. As carbonation flattens out the yeast flavor becomes more earthy, bready, with a nice banana flavor.

D - Overall very easy drinking with a low alcohol content. I would recommend this.

umustdrink, Sep 03, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Hazy dark golden color. Low carbonation. Pours into a half finger, bubbly, white head. Settles pretty quickly.

S: Yeast, wheat, lemon and orange. Also, something a little sweet, maybe honey?

T: Tastes like it smells. Wheat, yeast, a little hoppy bite is offset by citrus. . . lemon and the sweetness of orange.

M: Despite appearance, carbonation is prominent, but doesn't affect beer negatively. Nice sweet but slightly bitter aftertaste. Light body, and a refreshing quality.

D: Very good. Nice flavor and body.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Appearance in pretty mediocre (but not unusual for a wit), nose is great. Alot of stuff in there. Nice complex palette, great balance of flavors. Fruit is subtle, so as not to overpower the grains, but a very big part of this brew. Overall, this is a great quaff.

bmwats, Jul 01, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A- A slightly hazy golden yellow liquid with a splotchy white head with very little head retention.

S- Belgian yeast, honey, white bread, and just a hint of vegetables.

T- Same as the aroma with a nice, crisp hoppy bite. Just the right amount of sweetness.

M- Crisp and clean with a nice carbonation bite.

D- A tasty beer that goes down nicely. Thoroughly enjoyable. This could be a great choice on a hot summer day.

david131, Sep 02, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Clear golden pour with a fluffy white head that laid down some decent lace. Crisp aromas of wheat and citrus (perhaps orange). Lovely clean lemon and wheat flavours, with notes of corriander. So crisp and refreshing its marvellous. The body is on the light side, with medium carbonation, but I feel this suits the style well. A very nice Belgian wit.

bobsy, Feb 21, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a cloudy, pale shade of yellow with very little head. The smell is citrusy with notes of yeast and grains. I notice flavors similar to orange juice with a hint of lemon zest. Finishes dry and clean. Really good flavor. It has nice carbonation as well, very very refreshing. This one would be absolutely awesome on a hot summer day.. I'll have to remember for next summer. Good mouthfeel, good drinkability. Great session beer.

jasonpeckins32, Jan 22, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a cloudy, light straw yellow body with a small white head that quickly diminishes into some patch and sheet lace.
Nice Wit aromas of lemon, orange, pepper, clove, wheat, and a note of yeast.
Mouthfeel is medium light in body with ideal carbonation.
Very tasty, with lemon citrus, wheat grain, coriander, white pepper, and appropriate notes of malt and yeast.
Crisp and refreshing, as a good Witbier should be. Very sessionable, and well constructed. Thanks to mentor for the hookup.

merlin48, Jan 13, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating. I enjoyed this years ago when it was brewed in Texas, cant say I remember exactly how it tasted, but I was psyched to try this latest incarnation. This one pours the expected very cloudy dull yellow, with a bright white head and leaving some scattered lacing. Nose is all about cloves, pepper and some orangy bananas. Pleasant light bodied ale, more cloves, ripe bananas and pepper picked up. Finishes, smooth and slightly dry. Fine warm weather brew and with all sorts of salads, cheese, fish etc etc.

Billolick, Sep 11, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Another of the monthly offerings from the Microbrew of the Month Club, poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A slightly cloudy pale yellow with about 1/2 inch of white head that fades to a persistent lace.

Smell: Smells like a good witbier to me, with wheat malt, orange, and coriander.

Taste: Basically the same as the aroma, with all the ingredients in good balance A bit of sweetness at the end, lacking some of the yeast character that seems present in other wits, but still very good.

Mouthfeel: Body was on the lighter side, but not thin or watery. A pleasurable beverage with enough carbonation to augment the slightly thin texture a bit.

Drinkability: These are eminently quaffable, and I'm dissapointed I only got three in the box. An excellent beer whether you're planning on having one or several.

LordHammer, Sep 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to HeatherAnn and Heidi & Tom for the assist!

A: Pours a hazy pale gold color with a small off-white head that leaves a fair amount of lace.

S: Aromas of orange peel, coriander, toasted malt, and a faint cereal sweetness.

T: See above. Slightly tart and sweet citrus, toasted malt, sweet caramel, and mild spices.

M: Spicy and peppery/dry with a sweet smoothness for great balance.

D: Very enjoyable and quite sessionable.

GbVDave, Aug 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Whitish cloudiness gives this beer a pale yellow color that is nearly perfect for the style.

S: Spice and wheat elements present, but not overly pleasant.

T: Tangy tartness on the front palate. Almost sweet on the mid palate followed by notes of corn on the back palate. Very good complexity that persists through the whole beer.

M: The acidic tartness in the mouth feels like it matches this beer well.

D: After the first, I'm ready for the second. This one is very drinkable.

Color me impressed. Did not really expect too much out of this one, but I think this is seriously a world class beer. I should qualify that I prefer Hoegaarden to the likes of Blue Moon and Shock Top. Orange/lemon flavors are not as strong in this beer which is good.

buddhapeace, Sep 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

lampkins, Nov 22, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

A: pours cloudy like most wheat beers. yellowish orange with a fluffy white head.

S: good nose with floral and citrus hoppy notes. I can really smell orange and lemon zest

T: Great flavors of orange and clove. Subtle bannana, this is a fruit cocktail if you really focus. Great complexity of flavors

M: average medium to light body. wheat beer doesn't do it for me in this category, but its hard to penalize a beer for sticking to its style. Its a good feel.

D: Right up there as one of my favorite wheat beers.

LyonsHead, Apr 21, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

And for the hat trick of the night…..meaning my third and final bottle of healing from my hockey game is Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company…..An authentic Belgian-style wheat beer. The color is a very cloudy (un-filtered) yellow with razor thin white head. The nose provides hints of spice, orange, and touch of clove. WOW….this might be the best Belgium beer I have ever tasted. Very subtle with the clove, spice and citrus….this isn’t bad…..and coming from a guy that really isn’t a fan of Belgium styles. The subtle taste helps to keep the mouthfeel at a nice level. I think I could survive a SESSION of this beer. Not too shabby!!!

WoodBrew, Apr 18, 2011