Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Well there's not much to be said here that hasn't already been said; and I wish I could avoid the comparison to the original and just let this beer stand on it's own, but I can't. It's more malty than the original, and that drags down its drinkability a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty much right on as I remember it. The yeast is not quite the same, and the coriander was a touch heavy handed, but I'll certainly have another! I'm glad to see one of my favorite beers revived; and quite relieved that it's been done fairly well.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a very bright yellow but light in color almost clear. The white head on this one makes it look like a lemon merigune pie. Smell is lemony and sweet. Also an aroma of corriander. First sip revelas a grassy and lemony taste. Very refreshing and crisp an easily drinkable beer. I know it comes with a high expectation due to the previous history of Celis. However, I like this beer. It is good with food like cheese and bread. I can easily drink this. The corriander might be a bit cloying after a few however. Corriander taste is coming through deeper into the glass. Still I paired this with a combination goats, sheep, and cow cheese with a rustic Italian bread and it held up well with the grassy taste. I really wanted a Hennepin and this filled the gap when I couldn't quite get what I wanted.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Appears a cloudy yellow with a fizzy white head and hardly any lacing.
Smell is of heavy, pleasant whiffs of orange peel and clove.
Taste is of the same pleasant aromas that grace this glass, along with a slight taste of white pepper along with the clove.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and flavorful with a spice and orange taste coming through the body.
Drinkability is excellent. This is a nice treat on draft.

Finger licking good.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

This belgian white pours with the classic flaxen, unfiltered appearance. The head is a little bit thin, but the smell is a refreshing mix of clove and sweetness. The taste is a smooth blend of banana and cloves and sweetness. A great example of the belgina white style.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours very light straw colored with a faint cloudiness. Seems to be mostly filtered, may be a very thin film of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Yeasty aroma of bananas wafts up, with some wheat there as well. Taste is pale malts with grainy wheat feel. Low carbonation enhances the otherwise subtle fruitiness. Slight metallic finish mixed with yeast. Not terrible, but a fairly pedestrian version of a witbier.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

This is an above average, thought not exemplary version of the classic Belgian White Beer we all know and love. Not much, head, deep golden hue, and a number of "herbs" in there make it spicy and refreshing on a summer's day. Not life changing, but recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

This one pours a clear golden color with a large white head. I found a lot of inconsistencies with the carbonation in this beer. Some bottles I open poured with way more head than others with the same kind of pour given to each bottle. There were heavy citrus and coriander nots in this one. Taste followed the nose as far as citrus and coriander go. It was semi-sweet but the taste didn't seem to live up to the aroma. It wasn't bad but I wasn't super impressed with it. decent mouthfeel. Maybe a little too much carb. Its an alright beer.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

This one was not too unbearable. Definitely a step up from the Hoegaarden, but not too complicated.

Got this as a single to try it out and got excited because I mistakened it for the other Celis.

Poured it into my mug and it had a nice opaqueness to it. It ihas the color of tea. Small head but great lacing due to the carbonation.

The taste was very clean, and got a better sense of smell having my nose stuck in the mug. Has the banana scent to it, which I like, but it finishes with that mineral taste, which I dont like.

All and all a solid brew, great to chill with on a summer's day. I would get this if I had a hankering for a Witbier and if no Hitachino around.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Quite pale yellow, hazy, with a moderate initial head that fades all too quickly. Vanilla fruitiness and a light coriander define the nose. The flavor, too, has a lot of coriander, strong even for the style. Apple, or maybe banana, fruitiness abounds, with a touch of honey or bubblegum. The finish is tart, lightly citric. Mouthfeel is moderately full, creamy and well-carbonated.

Celis White has been one of my favorite beers for more than a decade. The Michigan Brewing example tastes just like I remember the original, when it was made down in Austin. I hope they'll bring back the Grand Cru to Texas someday. It's basically a very strong, extremely tasty version of the white, with more coriander than I've ever found in another beer.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Somewhat hazy, clear light golden in color, with a clean white head that recedes rather quickly. Lacing is good. Nose is great, with notes of lemon, herbs, and flowers--roses, perhaps. Taste is crisp, bright and lemony, though not overly spritzy. Rather, there is a softness and mellowness. Refreshing.

Not the powerhouse wit that is Allagash, but admirable for an american wheat, of any type.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

clear, straw-yellow color, active carbonation, big, fluffy white head, very nice looking...
Aroma: a burst of coriander bombs the nose, accompanied by citric fruit, orange and a hint of lemon, beautiful combination, nearly ethereal, but definitely uplifting and lively. Gorgeous.
Great blast of spice and citrus on the tongue, lush, creamy texture...big fruit, nice hops, just enough tasty malt. Body is light to medium, finish ias a bit complex and lemony.
Classic witbier. Very tasty, and extremely drinkable.
I could down this by the case-ful in the summertime.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy, light straw yellow body with a small white head that quickly diminishes into some patch and sheet lace.
Nice Wit aromas of lemon, orange, pepper, clove, wheat, and a note of yeast.
Mouthfeel is medium light in body with ideal carbonation.
Very tasty, with lemon citrus, wheat grain, coriander, white pepper, and appropriate notes of malt and yeast.
Crisp and refreshing, as a good Witbier should be. Very sessionable, and well constructed. Thanks to mentor for the hookup.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Lucent straw--that resembles Chablis--with a bright white cap that is large, fluffystiff and styrofoam-like. Unfortunately, it deflates within minutes, isn't the least bit tacky and leaves nothing more than a short, scalloped collar of lace. The nose consists of clove (primarily), orange zest (secondarily) and a lightly funky yeastiness that is the best part of the whole deal.

The wheat malty backbone is firm enough to provide a more than acceptable amount of body and sweetness. I'm finding it hard to nail down the body/mouthfeel and have decided to land on medium-full for the style. The sweet maltiness gives it an expansive, slightly viscous feel while the carbonation is abundant enough to keep it on the quaffable side.

The flavor is good, but not outstanding. Clove is still the dominant actor, but it isn't so strong as to overpower the orange zest. Even though the various elements of the flavor profile really do work well together, something seems to be missing. The 'impressed' signal just isn't making it to my brain for some reason. Note: enough voltage got through by the bottom half of the bottle for me to kick the taste score up a notch. More yeast perhaps?

It's a shame that none of us will ever be able to sample the original Celis White. This version is tasty though and even if it doesn't make it into my witbier upper tier, it should please most lovers of the style.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Served on-tap at Conor O'neils in Ann Arbor.

medium yellow color, very clear. Slight head leaves just a little foam by the end of the glass. No lacing.

Stick your thumbnail into an orange and smell. Same thing.

Tastes like a sweet orange. The kind that doesn't leave the state of Florida. There is a slight bitterness that seems to come from orange pith rather than any hops.

Mouthfeel is light with low carbonation. Very refreshing.

Hot day...Celis White...Cool day.

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz.bottle. Pours a cloudy yellow with a minimal head that faded quickly. Smell is of spices, black pepper, and lemons. Has a refreshingly tart, bitter sweet lemony wheat malt taste. A good brew to buddy up with after mowing the lawn on a hot afternoon.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

served from 12 oz. brown bottle.

pours a nice "white" color. only slightly cloudy, but it is bottle conditioned. smallish head for this style...and it recedes quickly.
smells just amazing. you can really smell the distinctive yeast that they use in both this beer and in the celis raspberry. very grassy, herbal and tea-like. tase is superb. very light and drinkable, yet the spicey-citrusy kick really delivers. a nice, subtle witbier that i found to be extremely drinkable. both this and the raspberry are very good beers, imho. great summer beers!

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Light lager" yellow but hazy. Small white head that settles to a cap but sticks. Aroma is meatloaf, clove, ketchup, and fresh veggies. Peculiar that I enjoyed those aromas. Flavor is smooth lightly sweet corn with other veggies, herbs, and spices. Bright sizzly carbonation dances on the tongue.

Hell yeah, nice Belgian yeast character really is polished in this one and makes the big difference. I could drink a lot of these.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Dropped some non-sequitors with this one on 6/25/2004. 16-oz. pour in shaker glass at Redbones.

Doplleganger head on top; like watching thin clouds scud across a golden sky. Light, hazy yellow hue that verges almost on white. Wheat is heavy on nose, tart lemon grassiness follow in short order. At taste, oranges and buckwheat power through, lemon rind too. Penultimate summer brew as there is a jumpy carbonation giving it the aspect of a soda, and reminiscent of an Orangina.

One of the first finer brews that I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of was Celis Grand Cru back in the fall of 1993 at a brewing supply store in Burlington, VT. My heart nearly stopped when I saw the word “Celis” up on the chalkboard at Redbones; I would have preferred the Grand Cru, but this was a start.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the beers that first lured me into beer geekdom many years ago. Since then, the brewery/recipe has changed hands a few times and was unavailable for awhile. Even now, it's hard to get, but I had to get my hands on some.

The beer isn't as hazy or cloudy as I remember, which is too bad. The smell is very good, with stong floral and grain overtones, plus a citrus edge. The mouthfeel is crisp, with pinpoint carbonation. There are enough hops to somewhat balance the tastes of citrus and sweetness.

There's a lingering aftertaste that extends the flavor's life and invites drinkers to sip slowly in order to enjoy each mouthful. Still, the beer is good enough that I couldn't linger too long between each bend of my elbow.

I'm glad to have you back, old friend.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a modest white head. Little lacing or retention.

Smells like a close sousin to the boys down the street at Allagash. Orange, lemon, coriander, and grass. Deelish.

Tastes like it was born for massive summer consumption. Big gobs of sweet/tart citrus with an underlying grainy feel. Spicy, again wth an undercurrent of sweetness. Finishes lemony dry with the pause that refreshes.

Mouthfeel is nice and light. Built to be drank as a monster session brew. We still have a few weeks of summer here in Maine and I am on this one. I feel like I stumbled on to one here completely by accident. Glad I snagged a six of this.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a cloudy pale blondish yellow with a light white head and minimal lacing. Aromas are of of zesty lemon, wheat and bread malts. For flavor this beer hits up front citrus and zesty with lemon dominating while a slight spice makes its way in. A mixing of wheat and doughy like malts find their way into the picture. Following a combination of sweetness and tartness finishes this beer. Carbonation was light for this beer to match its light body. Overall this beer was tasty but there are definetly better ones of this style out there.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

I tried some more, this time i didnt pour it out of the bottle, i found that this made a huge difference. More flavor all around.

Pours very clear for a witbier, looks like a slightly cloudy Bud. A white head forms and fades quickly, no carbonation. Smells of hints of orange and spice. Tastes salty at first and throughout. Not much of the smell transfers over to the taste. There is a taste of some floral hops at the end and the hops give it a little bit of bitterness. the hops are present in the after taste. mouthfeel is slick, kind of oily. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

A special thanks to HardTarget for this great suggestion and lovely brew.

Appearance: pours a hazy straw yellow with a beautiful amber glow. The carbonation is champagne-like as it cascades up the glass.

Smell: A very refreshing, spring-like blend of spice and citrus beckon me to quaff this yummy looking brew.

Taste: A refreshing wheat bread-like taste with a citrus after taste. I'm guessing the one taste that I can't identify is coriander but I'll have to rob a spice rack before I know what it's supposed to taste like.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent, light and very refreshing!

Drinkability: An elegant and complex ale that witbier that went down very quickly and made my grilling so much more enjoyable.

Thanks again to HardTarget for that one!

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle poured into a chalice.

Taste - Chill hazed bubbly blonde color. An initial large, frothy white head settled to a spongy layer.

Smell - Smell is of orange, grass, and vanilla.

Taste – Taste is lightly bitter, earthy, with cinnamon.

Mouthfeel – Very well carbonated, light, with a fizz to the finish.

Drinkability – A sweet and refreshing ale. The finish was its major flaw. Still, I would drink it on occasion if available.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for the sample.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company