Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
cpn920

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

Had on tap at Pizza Plant on Main st. in Williamsville, NY. Poured white with a big head that was gone quickly. Smelled of orange zest and wheat. Tasted spicy with hint of sour. Medium carbonation with a light finish. Nice for a hot summer day...not my favorite but a decent beer.

01-10-2009 20:28:08 | More by cpn920
weasbri

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Getting toward the end of summer, so I figured I should try this one out before it goes away till next year.
Pale golden color, not much head to speak of.
Variety of aromas to start, I really need to get one of those kits so I can place the aromas better. I suppose it was clove or coriander. I thought maybe a bit of banana too.
Good wheater, a bit of citric tartness in the flavor which also adds a little bite on the tongue.
I really enjoyed this, and I'll be looking for more next summer, along with other examples of the style.

09-11-2006 23:23:32 | More by weasbri
nicksta

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

A: The beer pours a very cloudy, banana yellow. It has a thin head and the lacing evaporates, but it still has more character than the average white.

S: The smell is very smooth. I smell citrus, banana and spice. Few beers can offer this complexity in the taste, let alone the smell.

T: It is very sweet and very wheat. I can taste citrus, coriander, wheat and banana. On another very good note, there is no orange peel burn common in most white beers. It also finishes with the sour twang of a lemon-lime soda.

M: The mouthfeel is a little thicker. It reminds me of a banana-citrus smoothie except it doesn't weigh me down.

D: It is very drinkable with no afterafects. I had already suffered through the Michigan Brewing Co.'s Porter and AIPA and I was still able to enjoy this.

The Irish Dry Stout is still the best style but this may be my new favorite beer.

04-10-2006 02:19:45 | More by nicksta
Gump

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

I heard about Celis White from a friend, and after reading good reviews, I had a friend from Texas send me a 6 pack. I really enjoy the Belgian White beers, and had high expectations from Celis White. This bottled sample was from the Michigan Brewing Co.

At first pour I noticed a terrific aroma and classic color. The carbonation was good.
The first sip of this beer was not at all what I had expected. It's much more intense than Hoegaarden, or Blue Moon, but too citrus, and had a zesty sour lemon taste.
Although light and refreshing, this beer didn't suit my palette.

06-06-2003 17:16:14 | More by Gump
LyonsHead

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

A: pours cloudy like most wheat beers. yellowish orange with a fluffy white head.

S: good nose with floral and citrus hoppy notes. I can really smell orange and lemon zest

T: Great flavors of orange and clove. Subtle bannana, this is a fruit cocktail if you really focus. Great complexity of flavors

M: average medium to light body. wheat beer doesn't do it for me in this category, but its hard to penalize a beer for sticking to its style. Its a good feel.

D: Right up there as one of my favorite wheat beers.

04-21-2009 23:30:46 | More by LyonsHead
Dubblebock

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Oh, Celis, how I've missed you these past few years. Other reviewers have already chronicled the past for this storied brand. I've lived in Texas all my life, and in the Austin metro area since '96. I remember many a summer afternoon spent nursing a cool mug of Celis beer. Until Miller bought them and shut the doors. NOT a good day.

But let me tell you, Celis brewed some monster beers, and the witbier was one of their finest. And now it's back, sort of. Michigan Brewing Company is one of the licensees of the original recipe, and they don't do a bad job with it at all. I drank gallons of the original Austin version, so I feel qualified to say that while it doesn't quite live up to it's predecessor, it'll do in a pinch.

I picked up a six-pack in San Marcos and took it home with some trepidation. Celis has been back on the shelves here for a while, but I've avoided them out of respect for the memories of the original brews. But I was pleasantly surprised. It poured cloudy and with a fragrant aroma of spices and citrus. Not much head, though. I remember the original having more head. Tasted a lot like I remember, but the wheat really displays on this version. Cloudy appearance gave way after a while as the beer settled. Not an overpowering mouthfeel. Finished dry without wasting away...aftertaste was bittersweet and spicy.

It's a good beer and I can recommend it, but it's not the same as it was. The Austin version was truly a world-class witbier, this is just a really good witbier. Still lots of fun, though, and I'd hoist a few of these with some nice seafood or chicken/pasta dishes.

09-22-2003 02:42:07 | More by Dubblebock
aeminter

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Hazy straw color with about one finger of white frothy head.

Very mild aroma. A little bit of bubblegum...some citrus and herbal smells as well.

Mild citrus flavor...very herbal/spicy/floral...slight sweet-tartness pulling at the corners of my mouth

Nice carbonation mouthfeel...

01-20-2009 05:16:58 | More by aeminter
WillieMoe

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Has a beautiful, sunny, coloring, a bit cloudy.

Has a citrusy smell, with a heavy orange peel scent.

Has a delicious orange flavor to it. As far as witbiers go it is above average, but doesn't really blow you away. Definitely a refreshing brew that I would recommend to a lover of wits or flavorful fruit-tasting beers. Does not have an overwhelming aftertaste and goes down smooth.

07-29-2007 15:07:01 | More by WillieMoe
vishneda

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

This Celis White was a very cloudy beer with light pear juice color. It had a very light look to it. A puffy white head adorned the beer from the first pour and faded slowly. There was no lacing on the glass as the beer was consumed. Overall it had a very unassuming look and I was a little disappointed when I first saw it.

The aroma was a strong improvement, however. It had a moderately sweet smell that was complemented with wheat heft and a mix of what I thought was coriander and citrus. The flavor was much stronger than the aroma and more spicy than I imagined it would be. Still moderately sweet, it had much more clove and spice in the mix with a bit of citrus toward the finish. The bitterness that was there was not noticeable outside the sense of balance created. Overall I quite like the aroma and flavor of this beer.

It has a great mouthfeel that is perfect for summer days. The volume of CO is light and complementary to the thin body of the beer without being "fizzy". The low ABV makes this beer preeminently sessionable, and the all of the factors of feel and flavor really make it very easy drinking brew.

I like this beer and I finished the six pretty quickly. I hope to get some more of it.

10-31-2009 04:03:45 | More by vishneda
zchops

05-17-2012 22:58:24 | More by zchops
MCDuhamel

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a very pale straw, hazy, effervescent very light. The one inch white head collapses to a thin foam quickly, leaving moderate lacing. Coriander and lemon on the nose. Coriander dominates the flavor, with lemon zest and a bit of wheat toward the middle; the finish is lemon rind. A bit sweet. Very quaffable; light bodied. Seems a tad heavy on the spices to me.

06-03-2012 21:55:42 | More by MCDuhamel
carlborch

Pours golden with a slight haze. Well developed carbonation with a creamy white, tightly knit head. The nose suggests coriander, cloves, allspice and citrus. Light-to-medium body with a little spritz on the palate and forward spice notes that make me think of pumpkin pie without the pumpkin. Well developed, broad-stroke lace. Highly refreshing wheat beer. Well balanced. Excellent both as a sipping beer and as an accompaniment to food. I'd return to this.

09-14-2009 17:51:37 | More by carlborch
eporter66

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass

The beer pours a hazy yellow, thin head that rapidly vanishes. Upon the initial smell, it reminded me of the Saison I had tried the other night but not as strong.

As the chill came off the fruit flavors come out. A lemon zest flavor along with orange. I was surprised after my initial reaction to the smell that I enjoyed this beer. Not one of my favorites, but I thought I might be taking the Belgian Whites off my list, but this will get me to try more. I would let this sit out a bit from the fridge before drinking, it became more enjoyable and flavorful as the chill came off.

The carbonation is tingly on the tongue, and a slight silky texture.

It is mildly sweet, not bitter and refreshing. It peaks my interest to try more Belgian Whites.

11-18-2008 02:40:13 | More by eporter66
scriabin

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

This belgian white pours with the classic flaxen, unfiltered appearance. The head is a little bit thin, but the smell is a refreshing mix of clove and sweetness. The taste is a smooth blend of banana and cloves and sweetness. A great example of the belgina white style.

05-20-2005 01:34:06 | More by scriabin
teg8612

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

A-Pours a cloudy yellow color. Small head that dissappears too quickly. No lacing and very dull.

S-Citrus and coriander notes. Very tart almost stale.

T-Very tart, citrus taste with light coriander spice. Very sweet and not very balanced. I thinked my beer is old or skunked because I can't believe Pierre would allow Michigan Brewing to ruin his masterpiece like that.

M-Light with no carbonation. Flat and sour. Crap, it is skunked.

D-I remember when Celis still brewed in Austin and this was one of my all-time favorites. The move north to Michigan didn't help it at all. This may true only from states at the outer range of distribution but to ruin the beer in the state that it was born in is a crime. Pierre, please come back to Texas.

08-04-2006 15:40:00 | More by teg8612
mcowgill

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Beer pours quite nicely into a pint glass with a thick white fluffy head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. It's a nice pale cloudy yellow color.

S - Nice fruity aroma with a hint of spice and yeast in there. I'm getting lemon too.

T - Nice yeasty taste with a hint of sourness and spice. Quite enjoyable.

M - Carbonated and almost creamy mouthfeel. Light bodied.

D - Extremely drinkable. In the summer I could drink this by the case load out in the yard.

10-30-2008 22:30:00 | More by mcowgill
usualpulp

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

04-03-2003 22:32:46 | More by usualpulp
thaichile

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a matching cloud sitting on top. Nose is bready with lemon curd. Delicious, light citrus and banana wit, spicy and very creamy for the style. Great summertime refresher/quencher. Thanks alot to Kramer17801 for the bottle.

07-08-2006 18:24:13 | More by thaichile
brewpubbung

11-19-2011 20:58:30 | More by brewpubbung
EnJeiBee

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Hazy pale yellow with a thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly

S - Coriander leads the charge accompanied by a slightly bitter floral aroma and belgian funk

T - The belgian funk and coriander are present behind the expected wheat backbone

M - Light to medium bodied and very smooth

O - A great summer session beer

06-10-2011 23:13:14 | More by EnJeiBee
boelker62

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

A - a hazy straw under w fluffy, small head, poured into a pilsner glass.

S - too faint for the style, gave off notes of fruits and light spices, but overall, not aromatic enough.

T - I will give credit where its due, and the distinct, imported, dried apricot taste that comes through mid palate is very pleasing, however...

M - there is a long, long metallic finish for a wheat, more like an abbey. It's a bit off for me.

D - due to the finish, it's drinkability is reduced t average, where any wheat whould be higher, to me.

06-14-2007 13:00:09 | More by boelker62
Brubaker

08-06-2012 14:42:38 | More by Brubaker
jwillcourt

3.93/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottles served into a pint glass.

A - Clloudy, pale, straw color. Two-fingered white head comprised of larger bubbles. Average retention, receding to a skim of foam in a couple minutes. The head leaves little lace, but there is quite of bit of lace on the back of the glass as I drink it.

S - Complex and fruity aroma. Slightly sweet, apricots, vanilla, orange peel. and spices. There is a slight bitterness.

T - Flavor is mostly citrus fruit, particularly orange, and slightly sweet. There is an underlying wheat flavor. Aftertaste grows increasingly bitter, though its more orange peel than hoppy bitterness, and then recedes after about 30 seconds. There is also a bit of citrus tang in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Feels a little creamy at times and watery at times.

D - Very drinkable. The 12 oz serving is not enough. It is remarkable how strong the flavor builds and then how clean it ultimately finishes. The low alcohol is a bonus. It is a very flavorful beer for under 4%.

Except for the orange peel bitterness I tasted in the finish, it pretty much follows the style description perfectly.

03-25-2010 03:58:12 | More by jwillcourt
mpcrump

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev 0%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a pale cloudy yellow. Decent carbonation and nice white head.

S: Wheat, yeast, and some fruits.

T: Wheat with some orange and then lemon at the finish.

M: Nice light and lively carbonation.

D: Nice light drink with low ABV. Good summertime drink when it's hot.

02-12-2011 05:44:21 | More by mpcrump
lampkins

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

11-22-2004 02:07:44 | More by lampkins