Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours very pale and almost clear, would like to see a more orange, cloudy brew for this style.

Very complex spicy smell. Honey, coriander, clove. Very nice.

Slightly sweet and spicy in much the same way as the smell. Intense banana esters. Ends slightly bitter with a very light, refreshing sourness.

Huge wheat body, nice refreshing carbonation.

Very drinkable. For $7.50/ sixer, this beer is great to have around. Full of flavor, incredibly drinkable and cheap.

nortmand, Feb 05, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very lovely beer - a bit darker than Hoegaarden, but not by much. Great 1 inch bone white head that settles down, but never disappears completely.

Rather strong aroma of yeast & alcohol mixed with citrus/lemon.

Light and airy... I dont know. It could benefit from a bit more "oomph." Kind of nondescript and hard to place, like a lot of American wheat beers.

A decent enough whitbier. I'd like to try it again. Maybe I didnt drink mine cold enough.

chOAKbarrell, Feb 03, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Bright, hazy pale white-yellow in hue; the liquid is classic Wit. Fizzy white head, sadly the foam was only one finger tall. Head retention wasn’t too impressive, the head slid to a thin, soapy cap all too fast. There was no subsequent lacing. This Wit looks as I expected it too, nothing more… maybe a little less even. What a shame; better head retention/lacing would have elevated the appearance greatly. Still, this is a charming looking beer. It looks like a Wit.

The nose has all the characteristics of a Wit. It is a textbook example, I guess, in a very roundabout way this is the beer that wrote the book (or at least dusted off the book years ago). Of course, this is not the original beer as it has been brewed at two other breweries (but you all knew that). Anyway, I smell lemon drops, wheat, tart oranges; the coriander is restrained but noticeable. Moderate potency; I don’t expect/don’t want a Wit to articulate any more aromas then what this one says. I like the nose but I wish the aromas popped more; they seem a bit muted. It is inviting, nevertheless.

The palate is not spectacular but I really like it. Tart upfront with lemon candy, orange zest, a yeasty wheat slurry, coriander, a mix of spices that are very delicate and impossible to identify, and at the back I swear I taste some bubblegum. Zesty, wheaty, and citrusy finish; ditto on the aftertaste. IMO, this Wit leans on the simplistic side of the style. Maybe other breweries took the reigns and ran with it. If this is the original recipe other breweries have surpassed this Wit. Still, I like this beer. It is tasty. I am glad I finally tried.

Medium/medium-light in body, creamy and light carbonation, the mouthfeel is fairly lively and refreshing but at the same time it is relaxing and soothing. This is a great accomplishment.

My good lord this beer is drinkable. I think I could murder a six-pack in an hour and want more. It is very sessionable. Still, I am not sure I will hunt this beer out. There are better Wits but in the moment this beer is truly lovely! Like I said, I am tickled pink I finally tried this beer. I purchased a couple bottles from Liquid Solutions. Worth a try.

bditty187, Feb 03, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

pours a cloudy blonde with a slight head that disappeared.
I must note that i have drank kegs of this beer and this sample was not the mbc celis white i remember, lacking a bit of corriander in the nose, and the hint of sulphur.
the flavor is very wheat, slight spice, hint of citrus, slight acidity, mineriality and drops off into nothing.
the mouthfeel is very light and this beer imo is best enjoyed on a hot day under the sun. goes great with spicy thai food.

plaztikjezuz, Jan 24, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a cloudy, pale shade of yellow with very little head. The smell is citrusy with notes of yeast and grains. I notice flavors similar to orange juice with a hint of lemon zest. Finishes dry and clean. Really good flavor. It has nice carbonation as well, very very refreshing. This one would be absolutely awesome on a hot summer day.. I'll have to remember for next summer. Good mouthfeel, good drinkability. Great session beer.

jasonpeckins32, Jan 22, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearence: Pours an appropiately hazy orangish-yellow with a decent white head that dies down to a collar, but lasts forever.

Smell: The smell is a pleasent mix of grains and yeast. Corn is present, as well as the wheat, with subtle fresh hop notes.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Now this is a good wit. Everthing that needs to be there is. The smoothness, and creaminess, as well as balance, ability to quench thirst, and wonderful flavors are all present, and create a very nice drinking experience. The only thing I could really ask for would be a little bit more flavor.

Drinkability and Overall: I'm glad I got to try this. This a very good, smooth classic beer with enough drinkability to keep me going for a while. I would definitly reccomend this beer.

Glass: Standard Pilsener Glass
Music: "Population Control" by Company Flow

santoslhalper, Dec 30, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

This one pours out a hazy pale golden color with a frothy white head.
Its aroma is of yeast and some spice (clove).
The flavor is a bit watered down (even for a witbier), but is of yeast and wheat. There is a little clove and citrus as well.
Mouth feel is very thin and highly carbonated.

Naes, Dec 29, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Even with a violent pour a small head was produced.Very cloudy appearnace with no head and spotty lacing. Very strong aroma with a ton of different smells, including banana and wheat with a yeast aroma. The color is a straw yellow. The mouthfeel has a strong bite to it. Doesnt lack in carbonation at all.The overly carbonated mouthfeel might take away from the creamy texture I love in Wheat beers. Could use more spices that make an authentic wheat beer. The bottle says Authentic Belgian-style Wheat Beer.It lacks in comaprison to some of the real Belgian Wheat beers i've had. I think they could do better. But not bad for an American beer.

kelticblood, Dec 06, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

No freshness date. Litle white head and an pale golden and foggy beer. Nose is lots of oranges but also pears, nuts and koreander. Wheaty caracter there but overall litle pale and had fresher white's. taste is very wheaty and litle yeasty with low bitterness. Though I kept this botle in my fridge the whole time have a feeling this one had some age on it but overall certainly not ea bad brew that i enjoyed.

paterlodie, Nov 24, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a very hazy golden hue with a moderate head. Smells of citrus and spice.

Tastes good. Not too thin, like some other white beers. The citrus lingers on the tip of the tongue. A very drinkable beer. I'd compare it to Allagash White or Hoegaarden. Still not sure which of those beers I prefer. This one's a competitor, though.

Marty, Nov 09, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Prominent white colour, wheat sour and strong carbonation worked. Coriander and orange taste, some pepper and spiciness. fresh tasting though it's the Fall. Rounded with malt and smooth and drinkable. Light-medium mouthfeel. Tangy acidic aftertaste, drying.

Sammy, Oct 31, 2005
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle pulled from a mixed package of beers given to me as a reward for volunteering for 2005 GABF. Pours a one finger fizzy white head that settles in no time. As the sediment was swirled and then dumped into the glass, the beer is super cloudy gold straw colored with almost a slight green hue as edgings. Smells, uh-oh. Phenolic funky and clove. A belgian-style of some sort...far from my favorite. I'll review it to style, not my personal preference. Smells of cloves, aged-and-super-dry-library-book-must,
smoked jerky. Sweet malt only with searching and way beneath the spice. Tastes phenolic funky. Starts with the smoked jerky, turns clovey, then to a coriander that sweetens nicely as a late malt wet steps in during the aftertaste. Wow, that was a pretty amazing transition. At the same time the coriander is sweetening, a playful citrus stands around like some pretty-boy at a dance who's hair is just too neat. You know how Hollywood portrays life in the 1950's (like in the movie "Back to the Future")...this beer catches a campy character in the same way. "Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...Mr Sandman,....bring me a dream. Make him the cutest..." The flavors are distinct enough to be said to stand alone, yet team-oriented such that they contribute to and help each other accomplish each others' goals. Medium-light body and md-light carbonation. I could see the late sweet being a bit too much for some people and the phenolic character not persisting long enough. For me, the phenolic is too much and the aftertaste sweetness is beginning to wear. They must use a boat-load of orange peel when making this beer, as it's becoming pithy as I near the bottom of the glass. This beer is well crafted and it's one I recommend...even though I personally hope to never have another. Belgian funk...ble-ech!

mentor, Oct 27, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Hazy yellow with a small head of white that slowly falls to a ring of foam. Minimal lace.

Wheat, coriander, yeast that is slightly chalky, lemon peel and a pinch of floral hops.

The wheat barely registers, but the spice and citrus notes break through. Tart with some hop bitterness in the finish. Rather one dimensional. Light, prickly mouth that is somewhat puckered from the tartness. Drinkable but boring.

ypsifly, Oct 11, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Cloudy orangish beer with a shy head that runs away quite fast. Smell of cereals are very present with notes of fruits, banana and apples but some oranges smells are present.

At first when tasting it a weird taste of reminding me of cheese was present but this quickly dissapeared. A sour beer, cereal flavours, that ends with shy notes of fruits and hops

3Vandoo, Oct 08, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a straw color with hardly any head to mention. Spotty, wimpy looking lace. Nose was of cut peaches, but not fresh peaches. Flavor was strong of wheat. Citrus came through as well as some unripe peaches. Mouthfeel was almost dry, but not quite. I found this beer very easy to drink, but overall it was not very inspirational.

MuddyFeet, Sep 16, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating. I enjoyed this years ago when it was brewed in Texas, cant say I remember exactly how it tasted, but I was psyched to try this latest incarnation. This one pours the expected very cloudy dull yellow, with a bright white head and leaving some scattered lacing. Nose is all about cloves, pepper and some orangy bananas. Pleasant light bodied ale, more cloves, ripe bananas and pepper picked up. Finishes, smooth and slightly dry. Fine warm weather brew and with all sorts of salads, cheese, fish etc etc.

Billolick, Sep 11, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Poured aggressively to give about a quarter inch head of loose active bubbles on top of a mostly clear pale straw liquid. The head fell in less than a minute, and there were few bubbles rising to maintain it.

Aroma: Dry biscuity wheat malt along with some orangey citrus and what smells like some light spiciness...perhaps coriander?

Taste: Very light bodied and refreshing. The grainy sweetness dominates the flavor also. There seems to be a light banana flavor in here also, that I am just getting in the nose since I tasted it. The orange flavors mix nicely with the beer.

Opinion: I think that this is a pretty good beer. I think that I am reviewing it during the right month, but its just not hot enough in the room I'm in for such a quencher. This is super light, but may be too flavorful for a newbie. Still, this one that I would recommend trying.

SkeeterHawk, Sep 02, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

I really like this beer. Totally drinkable, totally enjoyable. Not only a good crossover beer for those getting into craft beers, but an solid brew that demands respect from the most descriminating BA. Pours out to a cloudy yellow color with a nice white foamy head and some minor traces of lace. Medium high carbonation. The aroma is inviting; odors of cooked corn, sweet bread and some floral notes. Very nice. Taste was fantastic, and very well blended. Flavors of corn, malt, hops, grain and notes of citrus and yeast. The carbonation really brings the nuances of this beer to the senses. Finished with a zing. Very well made beer. I will be having more of these. This is the best Witbier I have had, and one of the best beers I have ever had. Highly recommended.

Frozensoul327, Aug 28, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Cloudy pale yellow with carbonation racing upward forming a 1/4" white head.

Lemony citrus smell with a sour yeasty thing going on also.

Flavors of sweetly spiced lemon cookies and just enough malt to keep the light flavors from disappearing too quickly. An interesting slightly saltiness creeps up at the end - nice.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Ultra fine carbonation keeps the light-med. body refreshingly active. Nice coriander and citrus spice that levels off nicely in the flavorful finish.

Drinkability is way up there; low ABV and ultra refreshing.

This beer has seen its good and bad days. Seeing the brewery has been through 3 brewers in the last few years, consistency has been questionable. I think it been great the past 4 months I've been drinking it. Luckily I live only 20 minutes from the brewery and the local retailers seem to always have a fresh supply especially during the spring/summer. Getting this beer at it's freshest is paramount. A good interpretation of an often massacred style.

malty, Aug 25, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

poured a cloudy light amber color with modest white head that was retained throughout the glass. The smell is strong of spices and corriander and excites the nose. Taste is fantastic and really pleases the mouth. Aftertaste is superb with a slight dryness. Great drinking beer.

tgbljb, Jul 30, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Celis White is a hazy, straw color with a good level of carbonation. The head is large, sticky, and ultra-white. The aroma is spicy and yeasty, with clove and coriander smells standing out. A sip starts with an initial bite of yeast flavor, somewhat clove-like, with a good level of an almost lemony spice flavor. Coriander is definently in the mix, but some sweeter spice is also present. The underlying wheat body occaisionally makes itself known and adds another layer to a tasty beer. This probably isn't the best wit I've had, but the style is well-represented with no complaints from me.

Gagnonsux, Jul 29, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Well there's not much to be said here that hasn't already been said; and I wish I could avoid the comparison to the original and just let this beer stand on it's own, but I can't. It's more malty than the original, and that drags down its drinkability a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty much right on as I remember it. The yeast is not quite the same, and the coriander was a touch heavy handed, but I'll certainly have another! I'm glad to see one of my favorite beers revived; and quite relieved that it's been done fairly well.

NeroFiddled, Jun 25, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a very bright yellow but light in color almost clear. The white head on this one makes it look like a lemon merigune pie. Smell is lemony and sweet. Also an aroma of corriander. First sip revelas a grassy and lemony taste. Very refreshing and crisp an easily drinkable beer. I know it comes with a high expectation due to the previous history of Celis. However, I like this beer. It is good with food like cheese and bread. I can easily drink this. The corriander might be a bit cloying after a few however. Corriander taste is coming through deeper into the glass. Still I paired this with a combination goats, sheep, and cow cheese with a rustic Italian bread and it held up well with the grassy taste. I really wanted a Hennepin and this filled the gap when I couldn't quite get what I wanted.

mjohn27603, Jun 09, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Appears a cloudy yellow with a fizzy white head and hardly any lacing.
Smell is of heavy, pleasant whiffs of orange peel and clove.
Taste is of the same pleasant aromas that grace this glass, along with a slight taste of white pepper along with the clove.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and flavorful with a spice and orange taste coming through the body.
Drinkability is excellent. This is a nice treat on draft.

Finger licking good.

weeare138, Jun 02, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

This belgian white pours with the classic flaxen, unfiltered appearance. The head is a little bit thin, but the smell is a refreshing mix of clove and sweetness. The taste is a smooth blend of banana and cloves and sweetness. A great example of the belgina white style.

scriabin, May 20, 2005