Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Celis White, Michigan Brewing's re-incarnated version of the Pierre Celis original, is a citrusy, light and easy-to-drink wit; it also doesn't hold a candle to the better versions of this style that are out on the market these days.

It's pale golden and transluscent with a good head. The bouquet showcases lemon and apple, along with the hint of plastic and orange that I expect in a wit. Unfortunately, Celis White doesn't hold together on the tongue--it's overrun by lemon flavors and lacks any malt presence to balance out the sweeter flavors. It's not sweet or spicy enough to be cloying, and the lemon flavors give way to a watery finish. It's thin and unbalanced...a disappointing wit all around. For Michigan wits, I'll stick with Bell's Winter White from here on out.

Not recommended.

benito, Nov 21, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

This one pours out a hazy pale golden color with a frothy white head.
Its aroma is of yeast and some spice (clove).
The flavor is a bit watered down (even for a witbier), but is of yeast and wheat. There is a little clove and citrus as well.
Mouth feel is very thin and highly carbonated.

Naes, Dec 29, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -31%

I picked this beer at OBF when I was to walk from one end of the venue to the other. It was a poor choice for travelling with.

The ale poured a hazy white with very active carbonation, almost like seltzer. The smell was ripe fruit and sugar. The taste was overwhelmingly of white grape, and unpleasantly sour. The aroma and taste were accurate reflections of each other. The body of the beer was clearly missing as there was no detectable malt sweetness, rather just the almost grainy sweetness of fruit. The further I walked, the flatter it became, and oddly enough, the more drinkable. The last sip, quite warm and flat, was probably the best.

freed, Jul 29, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Pretty hard to mess up a wheat beer, but this one isn't very good at all. The taste is unacceptable for the category. Very bland, and a bit off.

The smell is okay, prolly the best aspect of the beer.

You can drink it, but there is nothing that will make you come back to it.

woodske1, Jan 17, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

beernads, Jan 05, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -35%

I heard about Celis White from a friend, and after reading good reviews, I had a friend from Texas send me a 6 pack. I really enjoy the Belgian White beers, and had high expectations from Celis White. This bottled sample was from the Michigan Brewing Co.

At first pour I noticed a terrific aroma and classic color. The carbonation was good.
The first sip of this beer was not at all what I had expected. It's much more intense than Hoegaarden, or Blue Moon, but too citrus, and had a zesty sour lemon taste.
Although light and refreshing, this beer didn't suit my palette.

Gump, Jun 06, 2003
2.35/5  rDev -37.7%

A-Pours a cloudy yellow color. Small head that dissappears too quickly. No lacing and very dull.

S-Citrus and coriander notes. Very tart almost stale.

T-Very tart, citrus taste with light coriander spice. Very sweet and not very balanced. I thinked my beer is old or skunked because I can't believe Pierre would allow Michigan Brewing to ruin his masterpiece like that.

M-Light with no carbonation. Flat and sour. Crap, it is skunked.

D-I remember when Celis still brewed in Austin and this was one of my all-time favorites. The move north to Michigan didn't help it at all. This may true only from states at the outer range of distribution but to ruin the beer in the state that it was born in is a crime. Pierre, please come back to Texas.

teg8612, Aug 04, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -38.2%

Let the flaming begin? I can't be the only who feels this way...

Appearance: light straw color, lustrous snow-white resilient head, bubbly, tasteful amount of haze (after swirling the last bit of beer and dumping it in)

Aroma: very subtle aroma of honey, coriander, wheat, some appley fruitiness, wet cardboard (oxidized), musty

Flavor: tastes sweetened, some orange coriander and a whole lot of orange-peel, a strange sourness followed by an even stranger bitter aftertaste (like a bar of soap) that hits in the back corners of my tongue, little to no hop flavor (but that's expected in this style)

Mouthfeel: light body, zesty carbonation

Overall Impression: Man, was I disappointed in this beer! While I never tried the original Celis, I can't say whether or not the new owners botched it up, but I do like Hoegaarden Wit. The aftertaste is very off-putting, somewhere between chewing on orange peels and sucking on a bar of lye soap -- seems to me like this would stem from using way too much bitter orange peel. Also, it seems llike it's been sweetened slightly with artificial sweetener. I actually had to dump it! I wonder of Pierre has tasted this version...

Perhaps it was a bad bottle?

GreenCard, Jul 21, 2003