Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating. I enjoyed this years ago when it was brewed in Texas, cant say I remember exactly how it tasted, but I was psyched to try this latest incarnation. This one pours the expected very cloudy dull yellow, with a bright white head and leaving some scattered lacing. Nose is all about cloves, pepper and some orangy bananas. Pleasant light bodied ale, more cloves, ripe bananas and pepper picked up. Finishes, smooth and slightly dry. Fine warm weather brew and with all sorts of salads, cheese, fish etc etc. (542 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

A: pours cloudy like most wheat beers. yellowish orange with a fluffy white head.

S: good nose with floral and citrus hoppy notes. I can really smell orange and lemon zest

T: Great flavors of orange and clove. Subtle bannana, this is a fruit cocktail if you really focus. Great complexity of flavors

M: average medium to light body. wheat beer doesn't do it for me in this category, but its hard to penalize a beer for sticking to its style. Its a good feel.

D: Right up there as one of my favorite wheat beers. (515 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Another of the monthly offerings from the Microbrew of the Month Club, poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A slightly cloudy pale yellow with about 1/2 inch of white head that fades to a persistent lace.

Smell: Smells like a good witbier to me, with wheat malt, orange, and coriander.

Taste: Basically the same as the aroma, with all the ingredients in good balance A bit of sweetness at the end, lacking some of the yeast character that seems present in other wits, but still very good.

Mouthfeel: Body was on the lighter side, but not thin or watery. A pleasurable beverage with enough carbonation to augment the slightly thin texture a bit.

Drinkability: These are eminently quaffable, and I'm dissapointed I only got three in the box. An excellent beer whether you're planning on having one or several. (833 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to HeatherAnn and Heidi & Tom for the assist!

A: Pours a hazy pale gold color with a small off-white head that leaves a fair amount of lace.

S: Aromas of orange peel, coriander, toasted malt, and a faint cereal sweetness.

T: See above. Slightly tart and sweet citrus, toasted malt, sweet caramel, and mild spices.

M: Spicy and peppery/dry with a sweet smoothness for great balance.

D: Very enjoyable and quite sessionable. (479 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends. (707 characters)

Sampled on 5-31-07

Pours a nice clear gold, with a super-thin head and no lacing.

Smell is a little light Belgian, with an easy amount of spice and a hint of lemon peel.

Taste is alot like the smell, spices and citrus, with a well-balanced sweetness. Nothing overpowers, all the flavors add up nicely.

Mouthfeel is perfect, the carbonation is light, but leaves just the right amount of thickness.

Drinkability is also very good, the flavors meld well and the lightness makes it easy to drink. This, and the low abv make this a great session beer. (561 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a medium golden straw color with a thin 1/4" white head. The head quickly dropped to nothingness and left zero lacing doiwn the glass. The lack of head made me think this beer was too cold at fridge temp, so I let it warm a bit before proceeding.

S= All of the expected aromas present: orange peel, coriander, lemongrass, and wheat malts - all mild and balanced.

T= I found the taste profile to be a sweetish mix of orange, honey, and wheat malts up front and a mildly spicy coriander finish. Lacked the slight sourness in the finish so common among Belgian wits.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodied, with a slightly too-edgy amount of carbonation. Soft on the tongue, but not as much as I would have expected for the style.

D= A damn fine example of a Witbier. I don't like it as well as an Allagash White, but very drinkable all the same. A perfect hot summer afternoon session beer. (980 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pale straw yellow, thin white head that is gone in a flash.

S - Love the smell of this brew, citrus with a touch of yeastiness. Very refreshing.

T - Lemon and citrus, with some spice to it, probably coriander.

M - Thin, but very drinkable.

Overall this is a decent beer, definitely nothing I would turn down. A very accurate representation of a wit. (357 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Presentation: Brown pop top 12oz, nice label, just past the best by date

Appearance: Hazy dark gold beer, a hard pour produces a big soapy white cap with large bubbles that fades fast to a thick film and ring

Smell: Simultaneously sweet sugary/tart orange aromas, backed with a bit of wheat and lemon...nice, but pretty standard...only mild hints of spice

Taste: This is nicely balanced, though definitely a bit more in the "tart" than "sweet" category (which I like). A bit of funky tart lemon up front, followed by a light bitter hoppiness, wheat malt on the middle, and a touch of fresh orange peel on the finish. Just a hint of pepper at the end, otherwise not much in the way of spice.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and incredibly refreshing; this would make an awesome hot weather quaffer

Drinkability: Quite high, especially with the tart refreshing nature of the beer and low abv

Conclusion: Nice, simple, way drinkable, and immensely refreshing; how have I not tried this before? PERFECT summer quaffer, this beats the crap out of most highly-marketed "Summer Beers" (1,069 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

And for the hat trick of the night…..meaning my third and final bottle of healing from my hockey game is Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company…..An authentic Belgian-style wheat beer. The color is a very cloudy (un-filtered) yellow with razor thin white head. The nose provides hints of spice, orange, and touch of clove. WOW….this might be the best Belgium beer I have ever tasted. Very subtle with the clove, spice and citrus….this isn’t bad…..and coming from a guy that really isn’t a fan of Belgium styles. The subtle taste helps to keep the mouthfeel at a nice level. I think I could survive a SESSION of this beer. Not too shabby!!! (656 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Oh, Celis, how I've missed you these past few years. Other reviewers have already chronicled the past for this storied brand. I've lived in Texas all my life, and in the Austin metro area since '96. I remember many a summer afternoon spent nursing a cool mug of Celis beer. Until Miller bought them and shut the doors. NOT a good day.

But let me tell you, Celis brewed some monster beers, and the witbier was one of their finest. And now it's back, sort of. Michigan Brewing Company is one of the licensees of the original recipe, and they don't do a bad job with it at all. I drank gallons of the original Austin version, so I feel qualified to say that while it doesn't quite live up to it's predecessor, it'll do in a pinch.

I picked up a six-pack in San Marcos and took it home with some trepidation. Celis has been back on the shelves here for a while, but I've avoided them out of respect for the memories of the original brews. But I was pleasantly surprised. It poured cloudy and with a fragrant aroma of spices and citrus. Not much head, though. I remember the original having more head. Tasted a lot like I remember, but the wheat really displays on this version. Cloudy appearance gave way after a while as the beer settled. Not an overpowering mouthfeel. Finished dry without wasting away...aftertaste was bittersweet and spicy.

It's a good beer and I can recommend it, but it's not the same as it was. The Austin version was truly a world-class witbier, this is just a really good witbier. Still lots of fun, though, and I'd hoist a few of these with some nice seafood or chicken/pasta dishes. (1,616 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer. With the recent closing of MBC's main facility, I'm glad I was able to pick up a bottle. Who knows what will happen to this fine brew?

Bottle etched (07/28/12)poured into a Hoegaarden hex glass.

A- Beautiful for the style. 1-finger white head sustains at a thin film throughout. The body was a hazy pale/straw color with moderate carbonation. A later yeast swirl adds to the haze/cloudy body. Really good stick left on the glass.

S- Nice and sweet. At first I imagine lifting the lid from the mash to inhale the wheaty goodness. Citrus, hints of peppery spice. Lemon becomes more prominent later.

T- Lovely and delicate. A solid dose of citrus (lemon/orange zest) and spice (grains of paradise, black pepper, corriander?). Black peppery without the bite. Malts are cracker-like. Clean finish.

M- Fairly light bodied. Lemony flavor helps to dry the finish.

O- Crisp and refreshing. Great summer beer. I can drink more than a couple in a sitting. The bonus is that I can share it with my wife.

I really hope somebody can continue with the recipe and name (especially locally). It's too good a back story to end with the closing of MBC's main brewery. (1,201 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

There are a few noble and illusive beers out there that I haven't had the pleasure to sample. This is one of them. But with the history, infamy, and legendary status of the history of the beer, how can the flavors compete? As do most Witbiers, this opens with a silky looking pour, giving a lot of airiness and froath to the glass. Softly carbonated and canary yellow in color, the beer has an impressive look. Aromas of corriander, oranges, and wheat dominate the nose and carry over to the flavors nicely. Lightly estery, peppery, and phenolic, the beer balances with the sweet pilsner malts well without the slightest hint of graininess or astringency. Light lemon flavors prevail in the finish, giving the beer high marks for drinkability. The texture is as smooth as it looks with a powdery, thirst quenching finish. The beer certainly meets the hype. (856 characters)

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a translucent yellow with a firm white head. Good retention leaving very nice lace.'

S: Oranges and pastry. Wheaty and flowery.

T: Classic unmalted wheat flavour with a fair bit more coriander than I got in the nose. Some orange throughout, well balanced, hint of hops.

M: Light to medium-bodied, crisp. Very creamy.

O: Quite a good wibier, glad I finally got to try the legendary Celis. (416 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a very bright yellow but light in color almost clear. The white head on this one makes it look like a lemon merigune pie. Smell is lemony and sweet. Also an aroma of corriander. First sip revelas a grassy and lemony taste. Very refreshing and crisp an easily drinkable beer. I know it comes with a high expectation due to the previous history of Celis. However, I like this beer. It is good with food like cheese and bread. I can easily drink this. The corriander might be a bit cloying after a few however. Corriander taste is coming through deeper into the glass. Still I paired this with a combination goats, sheep, and cow cheese with a rustic Italian bread and it held up well with the grassy taste. I really wanted a Hennepin and this filled the gap when I couldn't quite get what I wanted. (802 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

A. A pale yellowish body with a thick white head that has good retention, lacing and carbonation.
S. The smell is a pleasant scent of wheat, spices, , coriander, bananas and lemon.
T. The taste is a pleasant mix of wheat and spices at first followed by a hint of orange, some banana, some coriander and finally a lemony finish to it. The taste is well balanced and the orange in it is not over done like it is in some beers.
M. The mouthfeel is a nice smooth creamy medium bodied drink that clings to the tongue and the crisp clean smoothness makes this a nice drinkable summertime beer. I'll be enjoying more of this in the future. (633 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

clear, straw-yellow color, active carbonation, big, fluffy white head, very nice looking...
Aroma: a burst of coriander bombs the nose, accompanied by citric fruit, orange and a hint of lemon, beautiful combination, nearly ethereal, but definitely uplifting and lively. Gorgeous.
Great blast of spice and citrus on the tongue, lush, creamy texture...big fruit, nice hops, just enough tasty malt. Body is light to medium, finish ias a bit complex and lemony.
Classic witbier. Very tasty, and extremely drinkable.
I could down this by the case-ful in the summertime. (569 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Many thanks to trbeer for shipping this to the Commonwealth. Looks like grapefruit with a small head that didn't last long. It kind of glows. The smell is yeasty and fruity. The taste is smooth!!! Citrus, orange, lemon, corriandor and something peppery. The ending is even more sweet. I can't even imagine having this beer on tap. I bet it is even better. Reminds me a lot of Blanche De Chambly from Unibroe. (408 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Appears a cloudy yellow with a fizzy white head and hardly any lacing.
Smell is of heavy, pleasant whiffs of orange peel and clove.
Taste is of the same pleasant aromas that grace this glass, along with a slight taste of white pepper along with the clove.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and flavorful with a spice and orange taste coming through the body.
Drinkability is excellent. This is a nice treat on draft.

Finger licking good. (437 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Even with a violent pour a small head was produced.Very cloudy appearnace with no head and spotty lacing. Very strong aroma with a ton of different smells, including banana and wheat with a yeast aroma. The color is a straw yellow. The mouthfeel has a strong bite to it. Doesnt lack in carbonation at all.The overly carbonated mouthfeel might take away from the creamy texture I love in Wheat beers. Could use more spices that make an authentic wheat beer. The bottle says Authentic Belgian-style Wheat Beer.It lacks in comaprison to some of the real Belgian Wheat beers i've had. I think they could do better. But not bad for an American beer. (644 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a modest white head. Little lacing or retention.

Smells like a close sousin to the boys down the street at Allagash. Orange, lemon, coriander, and grass. Deelish.

Tastes like it was born for massive summer consumption. Big gobs of sweet/tart citrus with an underlying grainy feel. Spicy, again wth an undercurrent of sweetness. Finishes lemony dry with the pause that refreshes.

Mouthfeel is nice and light. Built to be drank as a monster session brew. We still have a few weeks of summer here in Maine and I am on this one. I feel like I stumbled on to one here completely by accident. Glad I snagged a six of this. (660 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy golden color, with a nice white fluffy head. Very good head retention. Floral and spicy aroma. Slightly tart and sweet, some floral flavors and some spice, like corriander. Light to medium body, with a refreshing amount of carbonation. I enjoyed this because it is not overdone with the spices, there is just enough there for flavor. Pretty thirst quenching and refreshing served cold. Pretty well done, considering this is not typically one of my favorite styles. (492 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours very cloudy, but with some transparency around the edges. Deep gold color with bone white head that fades to a collar. Quite aromatic, with plenty of malts amidst the spices -- orange peel, coriander, white pepper -- that lend a hugely refreshing feel to the nose. On the palate, excellently balanced between sweetness and acidity, with each one seesawing for influence in turn. Mouthfeel takes over at first -- it's thick for a witbier, and quite carbonated. At the finish and in the aftertaste the real flavors of this beer come out: sharp spices, a citrusy tang, and clingy wheat malts. Overall, this is a very good witbier. It's got some spice and some maltiness, refreshing acidity and drinkability. At low alcohol, it's also great for summer consumption. I'm impressed. (781 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Grabbed a 6 pack of this at One for the Road in Wexford, PA, a few weeks back...

This didn't last long, but I managed to save the final bottle for review. This 12 ounce bottle has no freshness date, alas. Nevertheless, into my lovely Tripel Karmeliet glass it goes!

A. Purty! Huge, 3 inch white head is quite foamy and dies quick, leaving tons of succulent looking white lace... could hardly ask for better. The beer itself is a mildly unfiltered dull, bubbly yellow.

S. Bold. Really reminds me of La Fin Du Monde, minus that Unibroue yeast... loads of wheat, lemon, coriander, crisp honey-apple sweetness and just a hint of pepper. Classic and tight, nothing wrong here at all. Maybe a touch too sharp? But that's quibbling.

F. Classic Witbier here - honestly one of the best I've had from any country. Starts off thin (refreshing) and crisp, but not too sharp - the wheat softens it I think. Then a rush of gentle, yet insistent sweetness, tempered by a good dose of lemon-orange spritz. It is important to note that this is not really sour per se, nor acidic, but it does have that citrus and lingering sour finish. Otherwise, a good amount of coriander is present here, and a green apple ester (no apple sweetness) along with just a smudge of sulfur. The whole experience is drastically refreshing.

M / O. The finish on Celis White is soft, with an extremely long, lingering lemon-esque note and some white bread dough. The carbonation is equally soft / light, I personally would prefer a bit more... but that said, one could hardly ask for a better Belgian-style summer beer. This is both to style and excellent, and right up there with Allagash White for contention as the best Belgian Wit I've had out of my home country. In fact I feel like I prefer this to Allagash... guess I'd better acquire some more and find out, huh? (1,836 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a cloudy golden. Fluffy head,gives way to just a bit of lacing. Aroma is of fruit, and candy. Very nice. Body is light to medium, and carbonated. Taste is smooth,and full flavored. Fruit, citrus mainly, candy and spice from start to finish. Recommended. (259 characters)

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company