Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the beers that first lured me into beer geekdom many years ago. Since then, the brewery/recipe has changed hands a few times and was unavailable for awhile. Even now, it's hard to get, but I had to get my hands on some.

The beer isn't as hazy or cloudy as I remember, which is too bad. The smell is very good, with stong floral and grain overtones, plus a citrus edge. The mouthfeel is crisp, with pinpoint carbonation. There are enough hops to somewhat balance the tastes of citrus and sweetness.

There's a lingering aftertaste that extends the flavor's life and invites drinkers to sip slowly in order to enjoy each mouthful. Still, the beer is good enough that I couldn't linger too long between each bend of my elbow.

I'm glad to have you back, old friend.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

After a couple months of not seeing this around Detroit stores, I picked this up sometime in June and just had it the other day. I must say, this one's so much better on tap, I think. It still has that kick ass citrus flavor that's present in the draught version. But it -- or at least my bottle -- was just a little bit of a lesser version of itself. Carbonation seemed a tiny bit weak, and this seemed just a little thinner. Wits are by nature thin, so it's hardly a significant knock against this beer. But nonetheless, I think if you spot this in a bar, it's a sure fire winner. The bottles are great too, but it's not quite the same beergasm.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

served from 12 oz. brown bottle.

pours a nice "white" color. only slightly cloudy, but it is bottle conditioned. smallish head for this style...and it recedes quickly.
smells just amazing. you can really smell the distinctive yeast that they use in both this beer and in the celis raspberry. very grassy, herbal and tea-like. tase is superb. very light and drinkable, yet the spicey-citrusy kick really delivers. a nice, subtle witbier that i found to be extremely drinkable. both this and the raspberry are very good beers, imho. great summer beers!

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Beer pours a hazy, light, straw yellow with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, some lacing left in glass. Smell is of bitter orange peel, coriander and some citrus zest. Taste is of citrus and orange peel, citrus zest and coriander that are blended well and not overdone. Carbonation is good, not over done. Mouth feel was soft and tart.

A great beer from an American brewery where Wit beers are rarely done as well and their Belgian counterparts. Refreshing and well done, especially as it warms closer to room temperature.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Pale gold body--a bit darker than other examples--with slight haze. Sticky, gauzy white head that laces well. Candied wheat malt on the nose with freshly ground coriander, orange peel, lemon zest, and delicious yeastiness. Very aromatic and inviting.

Rich wheat malt with notes of toffee, wheat bread, and candied banana. Coriander and citrus zest come in nicely. Medium-bodied with refreshing carbonation. Very nice witbier!

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Clean, light and jammed full of flavor like a 300 pounder in a size six. Pale clouded streaming lemon under a weak white head. Nose of citrus pound cake and honeyed green tea. A draught tears through layers of flavor quick--sugared limes, coriander seeds, spicy hop--then it's gone. Poof! And your buds are ready to ride again. As good as the one I had ten years ago, I think. Pierre may not be brewing it, but his name lives on. Thanks trbeer!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

I really like this beer. Totally drinkable, totally enjoyable. Not only a good crossover beer for those getting into craft beers, but an solid brew that demands respect from the most descriminating BA. Pours out to a cloudy yellow color with a nice white foamy head and some minor traces of lace. Medium high carbonation. The aroma is inviting; odors of cooked corn, sweet bread and some floral notes. Very nice. Taste was fantastic, and very well blended. Flavors of corn, malt, hops, grain and notes of citrus and yeast. The carbonation really brings the nuances of this beer to the senses. Finished with a zing. Very well made beer. I will be having more of these. This is the best Witbier I have had, and one of the best beers I have ever had. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Beautifully cloudy, straw golden with a meringue-like white head atop fine bubbles. Retention is good, with minimal lacing. The look of this brew conjures up fine memories. Mild to moderate carbonation. Aroma is of smoke, sharp cheddar cheese, cloves, sweet vanilla, wheat crackers, and pineapple in that order. Mouthfeel is soft, wet and effervescent, with a light body. Taste is lightly sour and acidic with light cloves and a crisp, watery finish with a hint of grainy astringency. There is a hint of lemon towards the end with mild breadiness. The hops are very delicate and mild.

This is just great stuff...unique, tasty, and very easy to drink. I drank this about 10 years ago when it was brewed by Pierre in Texas, and I can't recall any specifics. I can't say whether the MBC version is true to the original or not, but it doesn't matter cause it's good enough to stand on it's own. A classic...better than Hoegaarden IMO, and replacing Oberon as my standard summer brew.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I got this because it was pretty cheap and I didn't have much money on me. I was told by the worker at the store where I got it that this wasn't that good of a beer. I don't think he even drank it, because this was an amazing wit! I can't believe that this comes from the Mich. Brewing Co. They're a little substandard with most of their beers except this one. Pours beautiful with a creamy white head. Smells of lemon, orange, and some coriander. Tastes very citrusy mixed with some spicyness which comes from the yeast and from other spices. A bready yeasty goodness comes forth. It finishes with a dry yeastiness and a little sour which makes me want more. A simple, refreshing, and amazing beer all in one!

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours a very cloudy, banana yellow. It has a thin head and the lacing evaporates, but it still has more character than the average white.

S: The smell is very smooth. I smell citrus, banana and spice. Few beers can offer this complexity in the taste, let alone the smell.

T: It is very sweet and very wheat. I can taste citrus, coriander, wheat and banana. On another very good note, there is no orange peel burn common in most white beers. It also finishes with the sour twang of a lemon-lime soda.

M: The mouthfeel is a little thicker. It reminds me of a banana-citrus smoothie except it doesn't weigh me down.

D: It is very drinkable with no afterafects. I had already suffered through the Michigan Brewing Co.'s Porter and AIPA and I was still able to enjoy this.

The Irish Dry Stout is still the best style but this may be my new favorite beer.

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This used to be my favorite bottled beer brewed in Texas until Miller bought them and closed them down (bastards!). In fact, I remember after my last final of the semester during grad school going to one of the local bars and drinking 9 half-yards of the stuff. I would have gone for 10, but they ran out! The bartender actually came over to shake my hand and to tell me how impressed he was. Anyway, I’ve been waiting for a somewhat happy occasion to review it, and low and behold, I finally finished up my taxes today and for the first time in many a year, I’m actually getting a refund rather than having to pay! So, enter Celis White. Pours a beautiful light golden color with a creamy white head. Nose is spicy with some strong lemony aromas. Taste also has lots of spice—clove, nutmeg, allspice, and coriander—followed by some nutty yeast flavors and lots of lemony citrus. Finish is very crisp and refreshing. A marvelous beer and every bit as good as I remember it being when it was brewed here in Texas. Thank God it’s finally back!

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

It's back...the same recipe and label, now brewed by the Michigan Brewing Co. Notes from the 2002 GABF, multiple samples over 3 days.....Cloudy golden to nearly orangish hue to it. Smell is full of spices, coriander, orange peel, lemon. To say Citrus is an understatement. Very crisp and refreshing belgian wit yeasty goodness, matched with the subtle orange, and coriander make it a very memorable taste. Light bodied, but not watery at all. Full of flavors until the bottom. Leaves you wanting more and more. This beer needs to be distributed to the long Florida summers. Very very refreshing and the ultimate thirst quencher. Every bit as good as Hoeggarden and some others....the search should be on everywhere for this beer.

« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »