Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden color with a fairly large snow-white head, which soon collapses to scattered patches of foam. Very slight carbonation with only fair lace. A portion of the beer was swirled during the pour to release the sediment, which was present in a generous quantity.

Aroma: Lots of cracker malt, with cloves and citrus notes.

Taste: Begins with a crisp and tart lemon and orange note, soon followed by spicy clove notes and coriander. The combination of the wheat malt, spices, and citrus yields a refreshing sweet and tart effect. There is a brief note of pepper at the close of the taste. The finish is dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very solid.

Drinkability/notes: In my opinion, the quintessential summer style beer style. Although I tried the original Celis White years ago, I really do not have a perspective by which to compare the original to this beer, too much time has passed – and at the time the original Celis White was available, my beer knowledge was far too limited. Nonetheless, this is an excellent white, surely worthy of a try.

Pegasus, May 10, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +19%

Beautifully cloudy, straw golden with a meringue-like white head atop fine bubbles. Retention is good, with minimal lacing. The look of this brew conjures up fine memories. Mild to moderate carbonation. Aroma is of smoke, sharp cheddar cheese, cloves, sweet vanilla, wheat crackers, and pineapple in that order. Mouthfeel is soft, wet and effervescent, with a light body. Taste is lightly sour and acidic with light cloves and a crisp, watery finish with a hint of grainy astringency. There is a hint of lemon towards the end with mild breadiness. The hops are very delicate and mild.

This is just great stuff...unique, tasty, and very easy to drink. I drank this about 10 years ago when it was brewed by Pierre in Texas, and I can't recall any specifics. I can't say whether the MBC version is true to the original or not, but it doesn't matter cause it's good enough to stand on it's own. A classic...better than Hoegaarden IMO, and replacing Oberon as my standard summer brew.

Mitchster, May 04, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

This used to be my favorite bottled beer brewed in Texas until Miller bought them and closed them down (bastards!). In fact, I remember after my last final of the semester during grad school going to one of the local bars and drinking 9 half-yards of the stuff. I would have gone for 10, but they ran out! The bartender actually came over to shake my hand and to tell me how impressed he was. Anyway, I’ve been waiting for a somewhat happy occasion to review it, and low and behold, I finally finished up my taxes today and for the first time in many a year, I’m actually getting a refund rather than having to pay! So, enter Celis White. Pours a beautiful light golden color with a creamy white head. Nose is spicy with some strong lemony aromas. Taste also has lots of spice—clove, nutmeg, allspice, and coriander—followed by some nutty yeast flavors and lots of lemony citrus. Finish is very crisp and refreshing. A marvelous beer and every bit as good as I remember it being when it was brewed here in Texas. Thank God it’s finally back!

Morris729, Apr 15, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Ah, Celis White. The beer with the mythical Belgian and Texan lineage...

Pours out to a muddied yellow in the glass with a slight head. Smell is that of light yeast, wheat, lemon and some spice I couldn't put my finger on. Taste is wonderful. Clove, coriander and lemon are all present with a finish so smooth, it begs for another sip. I don't know how this version from Michigan Brewing compares to Pierre's former Texas variety, but it has to be very close. A fine beer.

Thanks to trbeer for hooking me up with this one.

proc, Apr 08, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

usualpulp, Apr 03, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Clean, light and jammed full of flavor like a 300 pounder in a size six. Pale clouded streaming lemon under a weak white head. Nose of citrus pound cake and honeyed green tea. A draught tears through layers of flavor quick--sugared limes, coriander seeds, spicy hop--then it's gone. Poof! And your buds are ready to ride again. As good as the one I had ten years ago, I think. Pierre may not be brewing it, but his name lives on. Thanks trbeer!

inebrius, Apr 02, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of days in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F. I was so happy to see this back in bottles in Austin, and was very curious to see how the recipe survived the trip to Michigan. I heap mondo negative karma on Miller for killing Celis in Austin.

The snow white head is medium-sized and settles to a thin film quickly. The beer itself is a very pale, cloudy whitish-yellow. It's more amber/yellow in the middle, more white around the edges. I can't think of anything to compare the color to, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

Belgian yeast spiciness/fruitiness dominate the nose, but there's some nuttiness in there too. The front is citrus and spice, souring nicely in the middle. A light, tingly feel. The finish is dry with some nice sweet/sour citrus. The aftertaste is nutty and a little soapy. Fantastic! The citrus flavors are quite strong, but the unusual nuttiness really complements nicely. Original.

kbub6f, Mar 17, 2003
3.78/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a very pale very cloudy yellow straw color. It had a very minimal head that did not linger. There was no lace. It had a very minimal aroma. The taste of the orange was nice and not strong. The carbonation was evident and stung the tongue. The beer itself was light but the tingling was quite evident. It was a very drinkable beer. I had a couple pints tonight and enjoyed both.

LarryKemp, Feb 19, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Many thanks to trbeer for shipping this to the Commonwealth. Looks like grapefruit with a small head that didn't last long. It kind of glows. The smell is yeasty and fruity. The taste is smooth!!! Citrus, orange, lemon, corriandor and something peppery. The ending is even more sweet. I can't even imagine having this beer on tap. I bet it is even better. Reminds me a lot of Blanche De Chambly from Unibroe.

CharlesRiver, Feb 06, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +24.3%

It's back...the same recipe and label, now brewed by the Michigan Brewing Co. Notes from the 2002 GABF, multiple samples over 3 days.....Cloudy golden to nearly orangish hue to it. Smell is full of spices, coriander, orange peel, lemon. To say Citrus is an understatement. Very crisp and refreshing belgian wit yeasty goodness, matched with the subtle orange, and coriander make it a very memorable taste. Light bodied, but not watery at all. Full of flavors until the bottom. Leaves you wanting more and more. This beer needs to be distributed to the long Florida summers. Very very refreshing and the ultimate thirst quencher. Every bit as good as Hoeggarden and some others....the search should be on everywhere for this beer.

StevieW, Oct 27, 2002