Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very bright yellow but light in color almost clear. The white head on this one makes it look like a lemon merigune pie. Smell is lemony and sweet. Also an aroma of corriander. First sip revelas a grassy and lemony taste. Very refreshing and crisp an easily drinkable beer. I know it comes with a high expectation due to the previous history of Celis. However, I like this beer. It is good with food like cheese and bread. I can easily drink this. The corriander might be a bit cloying after a few however. Corriander taste is coming through deeper into the glass. Still I paired this with a combination goats, sheep, and cow cheese with a rustic Italian bread and it held up well with the grassy taste. I really wanted a Hennepin and this filled the gap when I couldn't quite get what I wanted.

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a cloudy pale blondish yellow with a light white head and minimal lacing. Aromas are of of zesty lemon, wheat and bread malts. For flavor this beer hits up front citrus and zesty with lemon dominating while a slight spice makes its way in. A mixing of wheat and doughy like malts find their way into the picture. Following a combination of sweetness and tartness finishes this beer. Carbonation was light for this beer to match its light body. Overall this beer was tasty but there are definetly better ones of this style out there.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz. bottle poured a hazy yellow orange color with a thin layer of head and almost no lacing. Smells of sweet fruit and a bit of spice. Taste of yeast, starch, and some strange bitterness almost like seltzer water. The mouth feel thick and creamy was the only highlight of this beer I have a couple more of these in my sampler case and I hope they taste better than this one.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours very light straw colored with a faint cloudiness. Seems to be mostly filtered, may be a very thin film of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Yeasty aroma of bananas wafts up, with some wheat there as well. Taste is pale malts with grainy wheat feel. Low carbonation enhances the otherwise subtle fruitiness. Slight metallic finish mixed with yeast. Not terrible, but a fairly pedestrian version of a witbier.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a very cloudy light yellow with little carbonation and not much head. Aroma was malt and fruit; coriander was rather subdued. Some wheat in there as well. Medium body, and quite tart. On a sweet/bitter scale, it definitely leaned to the sweet side though it was balanced by the sourness. Again, lots of orange but the spice was not very apparent. Couldn't really expand on the mouthfeel any more, so let me reiterate the tartness. Drinkability was slightly better than average.

I like this one, though it is tough for me to not compare it to Hoegaarden, a personal favorite. This one has more body, more orange smell and taste, more sourness, less coriander, and is not as drinkable and refreshing. The last of these is the biggest difference. I'd say it's a good beer but would stop short of calling it great.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Quickly poured down the side of a half liter glass mug, the hazy straw-colored brew develops a bright white three-finger head which slowly recedes, leaving clumps of foam stuck to the sides. Plentiful carbonation keeps the head refreshed.

The aroma has hints of bitter orange with spicy notes of coriander and pepper.

On the tongue, citrus and spice are up front, with the wheat following in an envelope of muted hops. Good fizzion in the mouth, but the flavor falls off in the back of the palate, typical of many wheat beers. Mild acidity and peppery tang linger in the aftertaste.

Overall a decent rendition of the Belgian style for a pleasant summer refreshment.

4.41/5  rDev +17%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the beers that first lured me into beer geekdom many years ago. Since then, the brewery/recipe has changed hands a few times and was unavailable for awhile. Even now, it's hard to get, but I had to get my hands on some.

The beer isn't as hazy or cloudy as I remember, which is too bad. The smell is very good, with stong floral and grain overtones, plus a citrus edge. The mouthfeel is crisp, with pinpoint carbonation. There are enough hops to somewhat balance the tastes of citrus and sweetness.

There's a lingering aftertaste that extends the flavor's life and invites drinkers to sip slowly in order to enjoy each mouthful. Still, the beer is good enough that I couldn't linger too long between each bend of my elbow.

I'm glad to have you back, old friend.

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%

I tried some more, this time i didnt pour it out of the bottle, i found that this made a huge difference. More flavor all around.

Pours very clear for a witbier, looks like a slightly cloudy Bud. A white head forms and fades quickly, no carbonation. Smells of hints of orange and spice. Tastes salty at first and throughout. Not much of the smell transfers over to the taste. There is a taste of some floral hops at the end and the hops give it a little bit of bitterness. the hops are present in the after taste. mouthfeel is slick, kind of oily. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

served from 12 oz. brown bottle.

pours a nice "white" color. only slightly cloudy, but it is bottle conditioned. smallish head for this style...and it recedes quickly.
smells just amazing. you can really smell the distinctive yeast that they use in both this beer and in the celis raspberry. very grassy, herbal and tea-like. tase is superb. very light and drinkable, yet the spicey-citrusy kick really delivers. a nice, subtle witbier that i found to be extremely drinkable. both this and the raspberry are very good beers, imho. great summer beers!

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured a cloudy, lightly colored yellow with some rising carbonation. Small 1/4" sticky head that retains decently with little to no lacing.
S: Orange peel, citrus rind, and coriander up front, some candi-esque spicy notes in the background with some slight earthy scents as well.
T: Follows the nose with orange peel, generic citrus rind, and corainder throughout with some banana peeking through in the middle. Some extremely slight belgian-like candi flavors in there as well as some earthy and herbal notes. A bit of crisp hops at first swig also.
MF: Creamy and medium, finishing slightly dry.
Overall: While this beer is not confused with better crafts of the style, it does a good job of giving a solid, macro-esque brew. There is definately better american varieties available, but turning to this one is not too far off.

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Somewhat hazy, clear light golden in color, with a clean white head that recedes rather quickly. Lacing is good. Nose is great, with notes of lemon, herbs, and flowers--roses, perhaps. Taste is crisp, bright and lemony, though not overly spritzy. Rather, there is a softness and mellowness. Refreshing.

Not the powerhouse wit that is Allagash, but admirable for an american wheat, of any type.

3.77/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy gold color with a bright white head. The head settled out fairly quickly.

S: Wheat and yeast aromas blended with coriander, orange and other sweet spice notes. Becomes even more citrus-dominated as it warms.

T: Very dominant citrus overtones with a soft wheat backbone. Hints of coriander, clove and other spices as well, and the yeast adds its own fruity character.

M: Fairly light-bodied and smooth on the palate, thanks to a medium amount of carbonation. Aftertaste is sweet and fruity.

D: A very drinkable witbier. One could easily spend a warm night on the back porch with a few of these.

A light, subtle and refreshing beer. If you're looking for big, bold flavors, then this is not the one to choose. However, I found it to be quite delicious and refreshing, and I would certainly consider bringing a sixer of this to my next party.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear staw color with a rather large head and no lacing. It smells very citrus--mostly lemons and a bit of grapefruit. I can also smell some pine. The taste is nothing special, but it is better than most witbiers I have had. I mainly notice a mild lemon taste throughout the beer. After a second or so, the banana flavor rises along with some spices. It finishes with a not as pleasant metallic taste, but it is luckily not that strong. The carbonation in this beer is pretty much perfect, but the beer is a bit overly watery. It's also a very drinkable beer even for someone like me who does not usually like the style. Overall, a very mild beer, but still a decent one.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on-tap at Conor O'neils in Ann Arbor.

medium yellow color, very clear. Slight head leaves just a little foam by the end of the glass. No lacing.

Stick your thumbnail into an orange and smell. Same thing.

Tastes like a sweet orange. The kind that doesn't leave the state of Florida. There is a slight bitterness that seems to come from orange pith rather than any hops.

Mouthfeel is light with low carbonation. Very refreshing.

Hot day...Celis White...Cool day.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Pizza Plant on Main st. in Williamsville, NY. Poured white with a big head that was gone quickly. Smelled of orange zest and wheat. Tasted spicy with hint of sour. Medium carbonation with a light finish. Nice for a hot summer day...not my favorite but a decent beer.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Getting toward the end of summer, so I figured I should try this one out before it goes away till next year.
Pale golden color, not much head to speak of.
Variety of aromas to start, I really need to get one of those kits so I can place the aromas better. I suppose it was clove or coriander. I thought maybe a bit of banana too.
Good wheater, a bit of citric tartness in the flavor which also adds a little bite on the tongue.
I really enjoyed this, and I'll be looking for more next summer, along with other examples of the style.

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours a very cloudy, banana yellow. It has a thin head and the lacing evaporates, but it still has more character than the average white.

S: The smell is very smooth. I smell citrus, banana and spice. Few beers can offer this complexity in the taste, let alone the smell.

T: It is very sweet and very wheat. I can taste citrus, coriander, wheat and banana. On another very good note, there is no orange peel burn common in most white beers. It also finishes with the sour twang of a lemon-lime soda.

M: The mouthfeel is a little thicker. It reminds me of a banana-citrus smoothie except it doesn't weigh me down.

D: It is very drinkable with no afterafects. I had already suffered through the Michigan Brewing Co.'s Porter and AIPA and I was still able to enjoy this.

The Irish Dry Stout is still the best style but this may be my new favorite beer.

Pours golden with a slight haze. Well developed carbonation with a creamy white, tightly knit head. The nose suggests coriander, cloves, allspice and citrus. Light-to-medium body with a little spritz on the palate and forward spice notes that make me think of pumpkin pie without the pumpkin. Well developed, broad-stroke lace. Highly refreshing wheat beer. Well balanced. Excellent both as a sipping beer and as an accompaniment to food. I'd return to this.

2.54/5  rDev -32.6%

I heard about Celis White from a friend, and after reading good reviews, I had a friend from Texas send me a 6 pack. I really enjoy the Belgian White beers, and had high expectations from Celis White. This bottled sample was from the Michigan Brewing Co.

At first pour I noticed a terrific aroma and classic color. The carbonation was good.
The first sip of this beer was not at all what I had expected. It's much more intense than Hoegaarden, or Blue Moon, but too citrus, and had a zesty sour lemon taste.
Although light and refreshing, this beer didn't suit my palette.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A: pours cloudy like most wheat beers. yellowish orange with a fluffy white head.

S: good nose with floral and citrus hoppy notes. I can really smell orange and lemon zest

T: Great flavors of orange and clove. Subtle bannana, this is a fruit cocktail if you really focus. Great complexity of flavors

M: average medium to light body. wheat beer doesn't do it for me in this category, but its hard to penalize a beer for sticking to its style. Its a good feel.

D: Right up there as one of my favorite wheat beers.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

This Celis White was a very cloudy beer with light pear juice color. It had a very light look to it. A puffy white head adorned the beer from the first pour and faded slowly. There was no lacing on the glass as the beer was consumed. Overall it had a very unassuming look and I was a little disappointed when I first saw it.

The aroma was a strong improvement, however. It had a moderately sweet smell that was complemented with wheat heft and a mix of what I thought was coriander and citrus. The flavor was much stronger than the aroma and more spicy than I imagined it would be. Still moderately sweet, it had much more clove and spice in the mix with a bit of citrus toward the finish. The bitterness that was there was not noticeable outside the sense of balance created. Overall I quite like the aroma and flavor of this beer.

It has a great mouthfeel that is perfect for summer days. The volume of CO is light and complementary to the thin body of the beer without being "fizzy". The low ABV makes this beer preeminently sessionable, and the all of the factors of feel and flavor really make it very easy drinking brew.

I like this beer and I finished the six pretty quickly. I hope to get some more of it.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Oh, Celis, how I've missed you these past few years. Other reviewers have already chronicled the past for this storied brand. I've lived in Texas all my life, and in the Austin metro area since '96. I remember many a summer afternoon spent nursing a cool mug of Celis beer. Until Miller bought them and shut the doors. NOT a good day.

But let me tell you, Celis brewed some monster beers, and the witbier was one of their finest. And now it's back, sort of. Michigan Brewing Company is one of the licensees of the original recipe, and they don't do a bad job with it at all. I drank gallons of the original Austin version, so I feel qualified to say that while it doesn't quite live up to it's predecessor, it'll do in a pinch.

I picked up a six-pack in San Marcos and took it home with some trepidation. Celis has been back on the shelves here for a while, but I've avoided them out of respect for the memories of the original brews. But I was pleasantly surprised. It poured cloudy and with a fragrant aroma of spices and citrus. Not much head, though. I remember the original having more head. Tasted a lot like I remember, but the wheat really displays on this version. Cloudy appearance gave way after a while as the beer settled. Not an overpowering mouthfeel. Finished dry without wasting away...aftertaste was bittersweet and spicy.

It's a good beer and I can recommend it, but it's not the same as it was. The Austin version was truly a world-class witbier, this is just a really good witbier. Still lots of fun, though, and I'd hoist a few of these with some nice seafood or chicken/pasta dishes.

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%

Hazy straw color with about one finger of white frothy head.

Very mild aroma. A little bit of bubblegum...some citrus and herbal smells as well.

Mild citrus flavor...very herbal/spicy/floral...slight sweet-tartness pulling at the corners of my mouth

Nice carbonation mouthfeel...

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Has a beautiful, sunny, coloring, a bit cloudy.

Has a citrusy smell, with a heavy orange peel scent.

Has a delicious orange flavor to it. As far as witbiers go it is above average, but doesn't really blow you away. Definitely a refreshing brew that I would recommend to a lover of wits or flavorful fruit-tasting beers. Does not have an overwhelming aftertaste and goes down smooth.

3.59/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a very pale straw, hazy, effervescent very light. The one inch white head collapses to a thin foam quickly, leaving moderate lacing. Coriander and lemon on the nose. Coriander dominates the flavor, with lemon zest and a bit of wheat toward the middle; the finish is lemon rind. A bit sweet. Very quaffable; light bodied. Seems a tad heavy on the spices to me.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company