Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis WhiteCelis White

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002)

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz bottles served into a pint glass.

A - Clloudy, pale, straw color. Two-fingered white head comprised of larger bubbles. Average retention, receding to a skim of foam in a couple minutes. The head leaves little lace, but there is quite of bit of lace on the back of the glass as I drink it.

S - Complex and fruity aroma. Slightly sweet, apricots, vanilla, orange peel. and spices. There is a slight bitterness.

T - Flavor is mostly citrus fruit, particularly orange, and slightly sweet. There is an underlying wheat flavor. Aftertaste grows increasingly bitter, though its more orange peel than hoppy bitterness, and then recedes after about 30 seconds. There is also a bit of citrus tang in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Feels a little creamy at times and watery at times.

D - Very drinkable. The 12 oz serving is not enough. It is remarkable how strong the flavor builds and then how clean it ultimately finishes. The low alcohol is a bonus. It is a very flavorful beer for under 4%.

Except for the orange peel bitterness I tasted in the finish, it pretty much follows the style description perfectly.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a pale cloudy yellow. Decent carbonation and nice white head.

S: Wheat, yeast, and some fruits.

T: Wheat with some orange and then lemon at the finish.

M: Nice light and lively carbonation.

D: Nice light drink with low ABV. Good summertime drink when it's hot.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Beer pours a hazy, light, straw yellow with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, some lacing left in glass. Smell is of bitter orange peel, coriander and some citrus zest. Taste is of citrus and orange peel, citrus zest and coriander that are blended well and not overdone. Carbonation is good, not over done. Mouth feel was soft and tart.

A great beer from an American brewery where Wit beers are rarely done as well and their Belgian counterparts. Refreshing and well done, especially as it warms closer to room temperature.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a very hazy golden hue with a moderate head. Smells of citrus and spice.

Tastes good. Not too thin, like some other white beers. The citrus lingers on the tip of the tongue. A very drinkable beer. I'd compare it to Allagash White or Hoegaarden. Still not sure which of those beers I prefer. This one's a competitor, though.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

I remember fondly the times in the early 1990's when I'd drive from central Illinois to Austin on vacation and bring back cases of this stuff to share with my friends..

I was excited when the bottle I cracked open looked, smelled and poured just like the original. But I found the sourness of this beer overwhelming compared to my fond memories. I could smell the coriander, but didn't find it in the taste.

Not that this is necessarily a bad beer. I'd rather drink this than a Blue Moon when I'm in the mood. I just remember a much more mellow beer with subtleness that is missing. My wife hated the original Celis White but is more than happy with this version.

I tried the Celis Grand Cru and it actually seemed closer to what I remember the White tasting like.

I wonder if I mix the two...

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Pretty hard to mess up a wheat beer, but this one isn't very good at all. The taste is unacceptable for the category. Very bland, and a bit off.

The smell is okay, prolly the best aspect of the beer.

You can drink it, but there is nothing that will make you come back to it.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Celis White has a mild citrus nose and pours pale yellow in color with a nice full head. The body is crisp and tastes are effervescent on the tongue as the carbonation exaggerates the orange and spiced flavors. There's a light, hoppy bite and the flavors round out smoothly with a hint of banana and cream, along with the citrus fruitiness. It's delightful and surprisingly complex for a lighter brew.

This is an easy recommendation and a fine effort by Michigan Brewing to continue the tradition of Pierre Celis.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

This is an above average, thought not exemplary version of the classic Belgian White Beer we all know and love. Not much, head, deep golden hue, and a number of "herbs" in there make it spicy and refreshing on a summer's day. Not life changing, but recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American pint glass. With a small bright white colored head. It is slightly cloudy with a pale golden color and a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma is a crisp citrus with coriander and lemon notes. At 3.9% I wasn't expecting a ton of flavor. It doesn't lack but its extremely light with a nice light citrus. The spices in the aroma come through and help balance the beer, but it still falls somewhat sort. But overall very drinkable and a pleasant treat. I could see this being especially tasty on a hot summer day.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured from bottle into pint glass; has a dull golden opaque appearance. head is white before disappearing completely. smells fairly citrusy, not much else on the nose (not that i can notice anyway). taste is mainly a mild spiciness, corriander being the most noticeable, with some clove and lemon/citrus zest. just a faint hop presence on finish, with some malts. taste doesn't blow me away, but its not bad. beer has good carbonation, without a whole lot of bite. body is just about right for a witbier, not overly thin but less than medium bodied. i found it to be a very drinkable beer, (a nice one for a hot day) if average in most other ways. not a bad example of the style, though certainly not the best.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a really nice wheat beer. It has a golden yellow color to it and a nice citrus scent. The taste is smooth. No hops at all and the malt is light also. The citrus what may be coriander are slightly noticeable. Its not very carbonated. Just smooth and easy to drink. No fruit wedge required.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Another of the monthly offerings from the Microbrew of the Month Club, poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A slightly cloudy pale yellow with about 1/2 inch of white head that fades to a persistent lace.

Smell: Smells like a good witbier to me, with wheat malt, orange, and coriander.

Taste: Basically the same as the aroma, with all the ingredients in good balance A bit of sweetness at the end, lacking some of the yeast character that seems present in other wits, but still very good.

Mouthfeel: Body was on the lighter side, but not thin or watery. A pleasurable beverage with enough carbonation to augment the slightly thin texture a bit.

Drinkability: These are eminently quaffable, and I'm dissapointed I only got three in the box. An excellent beer whether you're planning on having one or several.

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

My beer pours out a very clear, light yellow -- not the hazy white/yellow I remember from when this beer was brewed in Austin. (I based my appearance score on this.) Very light head. My bottle is also severly oxidized, with a heavy wet cardboard nose. Lightly tart flavor with a hint of coriander and the taste of dead yeast. Nothing of the lively, but not overpowering spiciness, of the former incarnation of this beer. Clinging aftertaste of of dead yeast.

I really hope this is just a bad (or very old) 6-pack, because what I'm drinking now is not very good. Celis White used to be a world-class beer; now I can barely choke this down. I'll give this a try again in the near future because I really don't want to believe this beer has fallen so far.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a medium head and lacing. The head left after a few sips while the lacing dissipated but didn't fully leave.

You could, of course, smell the wheat in this beer and maybe a little bit of a citrus aroma to it as well. Very inviting beer.

The taste was fantastic, I really enjoy lighter beers and this was for sure one for remembering. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary as it tastes like a witbier but that's what I like about it. They didn't try to "kick it up a notch". As a matter of fact this tastes almost exactly like the Belgian Whitecap I had while in Traverse City.

I would definitely drink this beer again. I went to a store to create my own 6-pack and chose this beer as one of them and when I returned home, I was surprised/excited to see I had forgotten I had already purchased one a few months back! I didn't have to wait for it to get cold!

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle poured into a chalice.

Taste - Chill hazed bubbly blonde color. An initial large, frothy white head settled to a spongy layer.

Smell - Smell is of orange, grass, and vanilla.

Taste – Taste is lightly bitter, earthy, with cinnamon.

Mouthfeel – Very well carbonated, light, with a fizz to the finish.

Drinkability – A sweet and refreshing ale. The finish was its major flaw. Still, I would drink it on occasion if available.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for the sample.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

After not seeing this beer on the market for almost 10 years, I was very excited to se its return. Besides the interesting Celis/Hoegaarden backstory, this was always a very respected label. Michigan Brewing has succeeded in rejuvinating this brew. In comparing this to others in the witbier catagory I'd have to say its right there with Hoegaarden and Leine's Sunset - with more to offer than Blue Moon, but not overly Spicy, Chunky, Fruity or flavorful as to impede its drinkability, but has a nice flavor and begs you to have another.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

This one was not too unbearable. Definitely a step up from the Hoegaarden, but not too complicated.

Got this as a single to try it out and got excited because I mistakened it for the other Celis.

Poured it into my mug and it had a nice opaqueness to it. It ihas the color of tea. Small head but great lacing due to the carbonation.

The taste was very clean, and got a better sense of smell having my nose stuck in the mug. Has the banana scent to it, which I like, but it finishes with that mineral taste, which I dont like.

All and all a solid brew, great to chill with on a summer's day. I would get this if I had a hankering for a Witbier and if no Hitachino around.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company