Celis White - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Witbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-27-2002

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white head. It is a very pale shade of yellow. The aroma is of wheat and Belgian yeast. I get some spiciness, but not the orange that I was expecting. The taste in some citrus with a little banana thrown in there. There is a carbonation bite. It has a grassy presence to it as well. It would prbably go down better in the summer. (373 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Light gold color. Large Head. Aroma is malty, fruity and sweet yet there is a touch of a slightly burnt undertone (?) A medium bodied wit. Malts are sweet and fruity. There are hints of orange and coriander. Rolls around on the tongue with an aggressive spiciness and lively carbonation. Nice. Hops are a touch spicy. Well balance. Lively, bright and flavorful. Very drinkable. Hope this one gets into wider distribution Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. (507 characters)

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden color with a fairly large snow-white head, which soon collapses to scattered patches of foam. Very slight carbonation with only fair lace. A portion of the beer was swirled during the pour to release the sediment, which was present in a generous quantity.

Aroma: Lots of cracker malt, with cloves and citrus notes.

Taste: Begins with a crisp and tart lemon and orange note, soon followed by spicy clove notes and coriander. The combination of the wheat malt, spices, and citrus yields a refreshing sweet and tart effect. There is a brief note of pepper at the close of the taste. The finish is dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very solid.

Drinkability/notes: In my opinion, the quintessential summer style beer style. Although I tried the original Celis White years ago, I really do not have a perspective by which to compare the original to this beer, too much time has passed – and at the time the original Celis White was available, my beer knowledge was far too limited. Nonetheless, this is an excellent white, surely worthy of a try. (1,080 characters)

Celis White has a cloudy body that is somewhere between dull yellow and dull gold. The white head is large and solid looking, with a rocky top. The retention is solid, and ample lacing is left behind.

The aroma has a good bit of wheat to it, with notes of fruit and a hint of pepper. Pretty traditional and quite nice.

This beer is a well-made white. The wheat probably provides the most flavor for this one, with notes of bread and a little bit of twang. Orange and lemon both make an appearance, but without adding any sweetness. Coriander and general peppery flavors are more powerful in the flavor than the aroma. A hint of green apple comes through from the yeast in the finish.

Very smooth from the carbonation, with a substantial feel to the body.

This beer was left behind in my fridge after having some people over, so I didn't really have any expectations for it. I am glad that I tried it, because it turned out to be a well made witbier. (953 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -8.9%

First thing you notice upon pouring is the flurry of tiny carbonation bubbles that seem to keep going like a certain bunny. An orange/yellow color with some cloudiness. Clean white head leaves no lacing and has little retention.

Smells of lemon rind, orange, wheat obviously, very clean aromas, with a hint of banana and clove.

Much to be desired in the taste. Very one dimensional, more clove, than anything, with the wheaty, lemon aftertaste. Finish could be a little longer and more pleasing.

Thin mouthfeel shows from the low alcohol. But because of that low alcohol I suppose this would be a good candidate for a day on the lake. (644 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cloudy straw color with a medium size white head that disappears quickly. Leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Smell is ok, but does not prepare you for the strong flavor.

The taste is very pronounced unlike some American versions of the style. Strong taste of citrus (orange?), cloves, hint of bubble gum sweetness and an astringent tartness that reminded me of Koenig Ludwig.

Mouthfeel was rich enough and crisp. Drinkability is good but as a session beer I would prefer to sip rather than guzzle. The taste is strong enough to make you take notice. I was very pleasantly surprised and would seek it out again as a summertime refresher. (651 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This is a beer that I have heard about since I began studying beer. Cloudy pale with absolutely no head and nearly no carbonation. Pleasant aroma, though light, of curacao and orange peel, along with a light hint of butter toffee. Well intricated spice, malt and light hop flavors. Butter toffee flavors, light caramel and pit fruit, with "orangey" spice flavors and hints of tropical fruit snacks. Big flavor for its size. (423 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Bright, hazy pale white-yellow in hue; the liquid is classic Wit. Fizzy white head, sadly the foam was only one finger tall. Head retention wasn’t too impressive, the head slid to a thin, soapy cap all too fast. There was no subsequent lacing. This Wit looks as I expected it too, nothing more… maybe a little less even. What a shame; better head retention/lacing would have elevated the appearance greatly. Still, this is a charming looking beer. It looks like a Wit.

The nose has all the characteristics of a Wit. It is a textbook example, I guess, in a very roundabout way this is the beer that wrote the book (or at least dusted off the book years ago). Of course, this is not the original beer as it has been brewed at two other breweries (but you all knew that). Anyway, I smell lemon drops, wheat, tart oranges; the coriander is restrained but noticeable. Moderate potency; I don’t expect/don’t want a Wit to articulate any more aromas then what this one says. I like the nose but I wish the aromas popped more; they seem a bit muted. It is inviting, nevertheless.

The palate is not spectacular but I really like it. Tart upfront with lemon candy, orange zest, a yeasty wheat slurry, coriander, a mix of spices that are very delicate and impossible to identify, and at the back I swear I taste some bubblegum. Zesty, wheaty, and citrusy finish; ditto on the aftertaste. IMO, this Wit leans on the simplistic side of the style. Maybe other breweries took the reigns and ran with it. If this is the original recipe other breweries have surpassed this Wit. Still, I like this beer. It is tasty. I am glad I finally tried.

Medium/medium-light in body, creamy and light carbonation, the mouthfeel is fairly lively and refreshing but at the same time it is relaxing and soothing. This is a great accomplishment.

My good lord this beer is drinkable. I think I could murder a six-pack in an hour and want more. It is very sessionable. Still, I am not sure I will hunt this beer out. There are better Wits but in the moment this beer is truly lovely! Like I said, I am tickled pink I finally tried this beer. I purchased a couple bottles from Liquid Solutions. Worth a try. (2,189 characters)

Consumed at Steingarten, Los Angeles, CA on February 25th, 2012.

Beer is a clear, lemony yellow with a fine, one finger white head. Moderate sheeting.

Aromas of banana, lemon, coriander.

Palate follows nose with addition of some grassiness. No bitterness.

Well carbonated, some prickle on tongue.

Goes down smooth and easy; a great hot weather beer. (354 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Aroma: Strong sour like smell with background of lemon pepper.
Appearance: Very light yellow, clear with a modest head that thins, but hangs.
Flavor: A classic wit taste. The sour in the aroma isn’t overpowering, but it’s there. I get a lot of citric acid, lemon notes again. This is strong enough to trigger a bit of the saliva glands in my jaw, but I could take stronger.
Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, refreshing.
Overall Impression: I too knew and respected the Austin Celis White (Damn you Miller, Damn YOU!!) and this is a close approximation. Up the coriander a bit more (this is a bottle I’ve been saving for a bit, so it may have faded) and beef the body up a touch, especially the protein for better head retention. Kudos to Michigan Brewing for saving this one from the abyss of beers gone by. (822 characters)

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with a white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of wheat malt with citrus and spice to it

T - The spice is the first thing I notice followed by the citrus flavor

M - This beer has a lighter body with higher carbonation to it

D - I really enjoyed this beer it has a great taste thats very refreshing worth a try (341 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy golden color, with a nice white fluffy head. Very good head retention. Floral and spicy aroma. Slightly tart and sweet, some floral flavors and some spice, like corriander. Light to medium body, with a refreshing amount of carbonation. I enjoyed this because it is not overdone with the spices, there is just enough there for flavor. Pretty thirst quenching and refreshing served cold. Pretty well done, considering this is not typically one of my favorite styles. (492 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A- A slightly hazy golden yellow liquid with a splotchy white head with very little head retention.

S- Belgian yeast, honey, white bread, and just a hint of vegetables.

T- Same as the aroma with a nice, crisp hoppy bite. Just the right amount of sweetness.

M- Crisp and clean with a nice carbonation bite.

D- A tasty beer that goes down nicely. Thoroughly enjoyable. This could be a great choice on a hot summer day. (420 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured a cloudy pale orange color with a light white head leaving a bubbly ring.

Smell has a funky yeast quality to it along with a strong lemon peel odor.

Taste is mild with a light sweet malt base and flavors of yeast and light citrus.

mouthfeel is light and dry.

A slighty above average wit, but nothing special. (327 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a regular pint glass.

Appearance was pale yellow, cloudy, mildly carbonated, with a thick, frosty head, and nice, white lacing that forms a thin but surprisingly full film as I drink.

Smell was pleasant, crisp, with citrus and spice notes prevalent, as well as a hint of grass.

Taste was a disappointment after the smell, however. Citrus and spice notes are still present, as well as wheat and a hint of yeast tartness, but overall rather bland.

Mouthfeel is ... ugh. Maybe I just got a bad beer or botched the pour, but this beer is almost entirely flat. It's thin, almost watery, almost no kick in the mouth at all. The feel is just all wrong for what I would expect out of a crisp, chilling white.

Drinkability is average - I would order this over a Blue Moon, but give me an Allagash White or a Hoegaarden over this any day. The mouthfeel on this one just really kills it for me - it has character in the nose and taste, but the feel is just all wrong. (993 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

I remember having this beer back when it was brewed in Austin, TX. It was better then, but is still good now.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow with a medium white foamy head which leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Smell - not a strong aroma, lemon and orange.

Taste - lemon, orange, coriander, has a pleasant sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, sweet, and clean.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, a nice sweet flavor. Very well made. (433 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle pulled from a mixed package of beers given to me as a reward for volunteering for 2005 GABF. Pours a one finger fizzy white head that settles in no time. As the sediment was swirled and then dumped into the glass, the beer is super cloudy gold straw colored with almost a slight green hue as edgings. Smells, uh-oh. Phenolic funky and clove. A belgian-style of some sort...far from my favorite. I'll review it to style, not my personal preference. Smells of cloves, aged-and-super-dry-library-book-must,
smoked jerky. Sweet malt only with searching and way beneath the spice. Tastes phenolic funky. Starts with the smoked jerky, turns clovey, then to a coriander that sweetens nicely as a late malt wet steps in during the aftertaste. Wow, that was a pretty amazing transition. At the same time the coriander is sweetening, a playful citrus stands around like some pretty-boy at a dance who's hair is just too neat. You know how Hollywood portrays life in the 1950's (like in the movie "Back to the Future")...this beer catches a campy character in the same way. "Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...Mr Sandman,....bring me a dream. Make him the cutest..." The flavors are distinct enough to be said to stand alone, yet team-oriented such that they contribute to and help each other accomplish each others' goals. Medium-light body and md-light carbonation. I could see the late sweet being a bit too much for some people and the phenolic character not persisting long enough. For me, the phenolic is too much and the aftertaste sweetness is beginning to wear. They must use a boat-load of orange peel when making this beer, as it's becoming pithy as I near the bottom of the glass. This beer is well crafted and it's one I recommend...even though I personally hope to never have another. Belgian funk...ble-ech! (1,851 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Had on tap.

A- Came to me with a nice 2 finger white creamy head that went down after a little bit of time. Lacing stuck to the sides of the glass but nothing too big. Nice hazy golden yellow color.

S- True to the style I picked up a lot of clove right off the get go with some orange citrus undertones that mingled perfect. Some lemon zest comes and goes. Nice yeasty bready smell that comes through as a whole. There is a spicey aroma I pick up as well but don't know if I like it or not.

T- Big doughy yeast taste right up front. Some bitterness to it actually. Nice clove taste in the middle along with a hint of banana I think with some orange zing to it. Good tasting beer with a bit of funk taste at the end which makes it a little more enjoyable.

M- This had a medium-heavy mouthfeel to it. Good carbonation with this beer makes the tasting more enjoyable. Leaves a sweet funky taste in the mouth that is neither bad or good just kind of different.

D- I was suprised with this beer and had a couple more glasses of it when I was there. I would recommend this beer to someone who isn't a big fan of the style to help break them into it. (1,150 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Hazy dark golden color. Low carbonation. Pours into a half finger, bubbly, white head. Settles pretty quickly.

S: Yeast, wheat, lemon and orange. Also, something a little sweet, maybe honey?

T: Tastes like it smells. Wheat, yeast, a little hoppy bite is offset by citrus. . . lemon and the sweetness of orange.

M: Despite appearance, carbonation is prominent, but doesn't affect beer negatively. Nice sweet but slightly bitter aftertaste. Light body, and a refreshing quality.

D: Very good. Nice flavor and body.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Appearance in pretty mediocre (but not unusual for a wit), nose is great. Alot of stuff in there. Nice complex palette, great balance of flavors. Fruit is subtle, so as not to overpower the grains, but a very big part of this brew. Overall, this is a great quaff. (861 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a medium golden straw color with a thin 1/4" white head. The head quickly dropped to nothingness and left zero lacing doiwn the glass. The lack of head made me think this beer was too cold at fridge temp, so I let it warm a bit before proceeding.

S= All of the expected aromas present: orange peel, coriander, lemongrass, and wheat malts - all mild and balanced.

T= I found the taste profile to be a sweetish mix of orange, honey, and wheat malts up front and a mildly spicy coriander finish. Lacked the slight sourness in the finish so common among Belgian wits.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodied, with a slightly too-edgy amount of carbonation. Soft on the tongue, but not as much as I would have expected for the style.

D= A damn fine example of a Witbier. I don't like it as well as an Allagash White, but very drinkable all the same. A perfect hot summer afternoon session beer. (980 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz.

Pours a slightly hazy honey gold with a sudsy white head that retains pretty well.

Smells of lemon citrus, coriander, and maybe something like peaches and vanilla.

Tastes mildly tart, with obvious coriander notes. Also grains and orange peel, but those are more subtle.

Feels a bit thin and not especially carbonated.

Easy to drink, a good beer for a hot day. Mild, no reason you couldn't session this. Not the best witbier though, but pretty good. (464 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow color with a faint head. The aroma is of yeast and some citrus, oranges and lemons. The taste is a little bland, a yeasty flavor with hints of oranges and lemons, and a very faint hop bite. The mouthfeel is dry and moderately high carbonation. Overall it is an okay drinkable beer, there is nothing to dislike about it, but it is very bland. (377 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I got this because it was pretty cheap and I didn't have much money on me. I was told by the worker at the store where I got it that this wasn't that good of a beer. I don't think he even drank it, because this was an amazing wit! I can't believe that this comes from the Mich. Brewing Co. They're a little substandard with most of their beers except this one. Pours beautiful with a creamy white head. Smells of lemon, orange, and some coriander. Tastes very citrusy mixed with some spicyness which comes from the yeast and from other spices. A bready yeasty goodness comes forth. It finishes with a dry yeastiness and a little sour which makes me want more. A simple, refreshing, and amazing beer all in one! (710 characters)

A - Cloudy honey/butterscotch coloerd brew with a 2 finger head of bone white solid foam. Nice lacing. Head disapears entirely after a few minutes.

S - Smells dirty and grassy like a fresh meadow in the spring. Banana peel, green leaves, spices, a twang of wheat scent tickles my nose hairs (which, according to my girlfriend, need trimming).

T - Sweet and lively wheat with lots of doughy yeast and spices. Green, leafy, and very pleasant.

M - Medium bodied and slick. Moderately dry green finish with a nice carbonation sting on the tongue.

D - Very good drinkability. I will return to this brew again, and this time I will buy more than one. (656 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Slightly hazy gold with a substantial head of white foam.

S - Wheaty twang with orange, earthiness and some spice.

T - Again wheaty. Lemon-orange citrusy-ness and a lightly bitter finish. Some spices and herbs as well.

M - Light body with a slight slickness. Fairly dry and astringent.

D - Very drinkable, worth trying. (327 characters)

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company