Badass American Lager - Michigan Brewing Company

Badass American LagerBadass American Lager

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: tubacharlie on 08-21-2010)
Reviews by alleykatking:
alleykatking

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to VinnieVanGogh for being an american badass and giving this to me. Alright, now that that is done on with the review.

A- Pours a very light pale straw yellow color. One finger fizzy head shows light retention. Some light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass fall back into the beer.

S- Biscuity malts with a strong grain aroma in the front of the beer. There was a honeylike backending aroma that became overwhelming. No real hop aroma at all....I thought the alcohol stood out more than the hops.

T- Biscuity tone in the front of the beer changes into a light caramel malt sweetness. Hints of light butter in the middle of the beer. Toasted malts on the backend of the beer with a hint of grassy/lightly skunked hops. Alcohol is dull and unclean tasting in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high overall but on par for the style. A lot of grains and semi-sweet malts are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, hint of skunked hops, and wet grain. Flavors were light and hard to tell if they were blended well. Buttery notes are the only off flavor which I would assume is a off flavor. No alcohol real alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This beer is what I would say is a "C" average beer. It wasn't anything over the top but a lot better tasting than most pale lagers. The alcohol was not there at all which I liked overall in this style of beer. The hops when present seemed a little skunked once again like a lot of the beers in this style.

05-03-2011 02:09:20 | More by alleykatking

iemailjack

01-07-2013 22:33:31 | More by iemailjack
rareif

1.2/5  rDev -52.4%

A. Highly watered down lemonade, almost clear, no lacing, quick fading snow white head

S. Limited,nearly non-existant. Maybe the best aspect of this beer.

T. Like nothing I've had before, nothing, except for the faint hints of lemon perrier

M. Once again, Lemon Perrier. Actually I am doing an injustice to Lemon Perrier.

O. a great gag (literally) gift for any beer lover, just make sure that you leave before they become disgusted with this beer.

12-30-2011 22:41:19 | More by rareif
Brenden

3.15/5  rDev +25%

This beer is about as light in color as would be typical for the style, though just a bit darker than the standard "straw" yellow. It's fizzy and thin, yes, but there is a little bit to the white head and the foam it leaves behind when it recedes, and even a little stick in some very light, spotty lacing.
The nose is where I notice it's not an adjunct; there is a light biscuity malt even giving off a little sweetness, surprisingly not one-sided, as there is an impression both of caramel and fruits. Grassy notes linger lightly and a grains presence is strong. Hops are very light and the aroma lacks strength, but I'd call this slightly above par for a generally very weak style.
This beer loses a little depth in the flavor, although hops bitterness does at least come out. Unfortunately, rather than adding it mixes in such a way because it's so light that it comes out more as a gentle sourness than real bitterness. Grains being foremost, it doesn't detract terribly, and the sweetness of the malts balances it out a bit.
Carbonation is quite lively and it at least keeps the beer as a whole lively as well. The crispness expected of weaker styles such as this one and adjunct lagers is in full force. The body is as light as expected (very), but given the standard isn't off.
This, like any like it, is what it is. I'd call it slightly above par for the course, as it were.

05-16-2011 17:38:51 | More by Brenden
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle, from the gas station across from my hotel in Southgate, Michigan. Nice, suitably bad-ass, "Don't tread on me" spread bald eagle black and silver label iconography. I’d heard of this from Mr. Rock's shilling on the talk show circuit a while back, and for less than a twoonie, well, when in Rome, or I guess metro Detroit…

This beer pours a very clear, very very very (did I say very?) pale straw, um 'colour', with a teeming amount of thinly foamy bone-white head, which leaves some sudsy swaths of lace around the glass as it ethereally wisps away. It smells quite faintly of bready grain, and equally far-off weedy hops. The taste is soft cornbread-esque sweetness, and bland, inoffensive weedy, earthy hops. Surprisingly little skank, only a bit as it approaches room temperature – must be the proximity to the source, and the cleansing effect of interstate bypasses. The carbonation is average, unobtrusive, the body light, strangely not that watery, and pretty smooth, nothing really there to provide snags or bumps in the road, for better or worse. It finishes fairly clean, just a hint of graininess indicating that a beer once stood here.

Not much goin' on, just plain white and crackery, despite the outward protestations to the contrary. Now I get it.

09-25-2011 06:01:36 | More by biboergosum
gabotion

1.55/5  rDev -38.5%

6 pack given to me by my boss. pours out pale yellow just like all other light lager. Smells a bit skunky which is surprising given that it's in a brown bottle.

Tastes like most light lager with a tiny bit more bite. If you like Yuengling lager you would probably like Badass.

Not much to this beer, thin and watery I guess if you served this at a BBQ in the summer most people would drink it. But I wouldn't pay money for it.

12-28-2011 19:58:05 | More by gabotion
dmorley21

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

03-10-2012 20:59:28 | More by dmorley21
Hazer115

1.48/5  rDev -41.3%

I got this beer while out to dinner at a restaurant in our home town. When the server brought me my drink, there was absolutely no head at all. The color was nothing to write home about, very clear yellow that would expect to see out of a can of Budweiser.

The best way that I could describe the smell would by of dirty dishwater, which I thought, well maybe I got a dirty glass, but the taste of the beer was very similar to the smell. The beer had little to no flavor, no hops, no caramel, nothing that I would expect a beer to taste like, but what flavor it did have was what I can only describe as what the smell of dirty dishwater would taste like.

Overall, if you are in the market for a beer that is very easy to drink with nearly no flavor, this could be the beer for you. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a beer that they can drink slowly and enjoy.

09-16-2011 16:25:51 | More by Hazer115
Sdesenberg

1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

This beer is simply bad. Is pours as light as any beer I've ever seen. It looks like it could be Zima. There is almost no taste one way or the other, and the mouthfeel is as close to water as any beer I've ever had. To be honest, it's as if Coors Light got Natty Light pregnant, and somehow they are both disappointed by their offspring. In summary, Stroh's was three times the beer this is! Stay away!

03-22-2011 00:41:51 | More by Sdesenberg
buschbeer

2.85/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz cab
Served in a pilsner glass

A - I have never seen a beer this light in color. It is almost devoid of color. It is a very diluted yellow. Plenty of white head.

S - Lots of grain and grass

T - I also get lots of grain here, too.

M - Thin and watery

O - It reminds me of PBR

10-15-2011 15:11:52 | More by buschbeer
pb9613

4.05/5  rDev +60.7%

Everybody should remember, Kid Rock is trying to create a American lager not an double IPA. This is supposed to be a high end lager but tends to fall a little short in color, flavor and aroma. But lke the creator of this beer, there is many aspects of this beer that are surprising but if you are into only one aspect of this beer it will disappoint. (i.e. If you loved "Bawitdaba", "All Summer Long" may disappoint) All together it is a surprising lager.

Appearance: Very pale gold color with very thin head and very lacing at all.

Smell: This beer emits a nice flowery aroma when poured but has very little hops smell after the initial burst but the sweet malt lingers.

Taste: A slightly sweet malt flaver carries on but like the pale gold color it is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light similar to the color and taste of this beer.

Drinkability: This is a beer that can be drunk all night long while jamming to Kid Rock.

02-09-2011 00:34:43 | More by pb9613
StoutHunter

3.55/5  rDev +40.9%

Got a 6 pack of this the other day so lets see how badass this beer really is. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a very clear watery yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed.

S- Slight amounts of grains with an even slighter presence of floral hops. Not much going on here.

T- This is where this beer shines. The flavor starts off with a big presence of grainy malts that taste biscuity, there is also some floral hops on the finish but just like the smell the hops are very slight.

M- Very light bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

D- Well this an American lager so it better be really drinkable, and it is. It wouldn't be much of a task to drink a six pack while watching a nascar race or grilling outside.

Overall I thought this was one good American lager, a step above the usual BMC products. I was a little skeptical of this beer at first because of the brewery and that its endorsed by Kid Rock, but it turned out to be a good beer for its style and I am sure I will be drinking more of this, especially in the summer.

11-17-2010 03:24:12 | More by StoutHunter
Zaphog

06-09-2012 15:00:25 | More by Zaphog
bushbeer75

2.8/5  rDev +11.1%

12 oz can

Michigan Brewing Badass American Lager poured into my mug a very, very, light [one of the lightest I have seen] clear yellow producing a thin white head that just vanished in no time. Due to its very anemic appearance I wasn’t expecting much from this beer. However, Badass did deliver more than its appearance showed. The aroma is of the American Pale Lager style…very light malt. The flavor is a bit more promising. The taste is of light malt with a touch of hops.

I am afraid I like Kid Rock better than “his” beer. Despite some of its short comings I would choose Badass over many American macro adjunct/light lagers.

02-03-2012 23:54:54 | More by bushbeer75
Kevin55

10-02-2012 03:22:39 | More by Kevin55
uno99

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +38.1%

Got this as a gag-xmas gift from my brother. I really didn't see this coming and I didn't know what to say when I unwrapped it.

Its not a terrible Beer; but first some cometary on the package and presentation.

Imagine a female to male impersonator... A crossdresser will do anything imaginable to look and act the part of somone who is born with all the bits and pieces. This often involves dressing and acting in a way in which no biological man would.... This beer is embodies that spirit exactly.

The bottle goes overboard to give you the impression that this is a REAL "badass" beer. What results is a complete joke with its embossed bald eagle, huge block lettered "BADASS", and its simple mono color scheme. I know this is Kid Rocks shtick, but if I were to see any guy drinking this without a tongue in his cheek, I'd immediately suspect him as someone who isnt quite secure with their masculinity! (or in beer terms, not comfortable drinking a budwiser, and wants to look like they know about beer.)

A: Looks slightly deeper than the average (light?) lager. head dissapears quickly and leaves almost no lacing. Serious points taken off for the hokey bottle.

S: Quite macro-esque. more hops than the standard non-badass Labatt Blue or Budwiser.

T: Corn and adjunct grains are apparent here as well. Although slightly more hoppy than the average macro.

M: A little over carbonated but not too bad. thin and light with no stickiness.

D: Goes down pretty darn good. An unremarkable beer but no big off flavors. Its too bad I wouldn't be caught dead drinking this. This is one time I'll let marketing make my decision on a beer...

12-28-2010 22:36:02 | More by uno99
Ghostface

03-07-2012 01:05:14 | More by Ghostface
SometimesIfart

4.38/5  rDev +73.8%

THE smoothest Lager around. I live in Michigan, So as a native I felt inclined to pick this up and it is wonderful. I truly do not understand why it is receiving so much hate. Perhaps I just got a fresher 6 pack considering that I live about 30 miles from where it is brewed. This beats ANY other American lager on any day in every single aspect. This a welcome change to a guy whom of which typically parties on the cheap

06-14-2012 03:23:14 | More by SometimesIfart

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

05-20-2012 21:45:19 | More by Drk93TT
seddy75

3.1/5  rDev +23%

People shouldn't confuse this with a beer that's trying to be all that and then some. It's not trying to be a craft beer, it's not trying to be a high end beer. It's trying to be an easy drinking, cheap beer that anyone can drink. On that front, it's an absolute success.

There's not much to the beer but it's non-offensive, and goes down easy. The color is pale, pale straw color. The taste - not much there - tastes like a refreshing light beer. This is a beer that you want to have when its 100 degrees in the shade during the summer.

Good for just sitting around and shooting the s$#t with friends but not a beer that's going to impress any beer snob with lots of flavor profiles, hop character, etc, - but then again, it's not supposed to be.

03-26-2011 11:29:02 | More by seddy75
weizenbob

2.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I spotted this $2 bomber of Badass American Lager on the shelf next to a row of 24 ounce Genesee Cream Ales for $1. As such, this review will likely hinge upon whether or not I felt I was better served by this than by a pair of Genny Creams. For those of you not hip to the 411, Badass American Lager is Kid Rock's beer, brewed by Michigan Brewing Company (though the official website claims that Rock "all but built this from scratch"). I hate to judge a book by its cover, but I'm half-expecting that Kid Rock just poured a couple of Budweisers into a bomber and slapped a label on it. I shall do my best to remain subjective. The flat-black label looks like the backside of a biker jacket, complete with an eagle embossed in pewter, wings spread wide. I have to give credit where credit is due; it actually does look pretty badass.

Resisting my instinct to crank up some Skynyrd and swig this bad-boy straight from the bomber, I pour about half the bottle into a pint glass. A small amount of bubbly head surfaces only to vanish into the ether, leaving behind a seriously anemic looking glass of crystal clear pale beer. Carbonation remains visible through the glass, but I can't say much else for the look of this. I am now assured that Kid Rock didn't in fact pour Budweiser into a new bottle. Budweiser is a shade darker than this.

I was under the impression that this was a 100% malt brew but darned if it doesn't smell of adjunct grains. Hints of sweet corn rise from the watery aroma. Alcohol touches the nose ever so softly along with a phantom whiff of rice. Before cracking this open I was expecting something perhaps a pinch more premium, but this is shaping up to be a pretty run-of-the-mill American lager.

Thankfully there are signs of life in the taste. There is nothing to distinguish this from any macro lager, but at least it's a stab to do macro lager right. Just don't expect any surprises here. Light corn sets the pace for the flavor profile. It's carried by a ton of soda-like carbonation. Going down, malt remains present in the aftertaste. It doesn't offend, but I think that's the point. It's just plain old beer.

On the other hand, my mouth isn't quite sure what to make of this. The brew is a bit watered down so it appears light to begin with, but then there's the over the top amount of carbonation that's almost offensive. By the time I poured the second half of the bomber, much of the carbonation had escaped and I must say that the overall effect is much better without it.

For all its weaknesses however, the real strength of this "badass" brew shines through in its drinkability. The light inoffensive flavor combined with a soda like easiness and a relatively low 4.2% ABV make this darn close to sessionable. If American light lagers are your thing, you'd be well served by this. It seems to outperform macro light lagers at their own game. Still I can't help but feel that instead of the "badass" image that was created around this exceedingly average brew, it should have just been distributed in those generic white cans simply labeled "BEER" in black letters. I wouldn't seek this out again, but if it somehow showed up at a party next to a cooler of Coors Light, I'd take Kid Rock's Badass American Lager every time. However, next time I'm buying cheap singles at the grocery I'll stick with a pair of "Genny Creams".

11-20-2010 18:50:06 | More by weizenbob