Badass American Lager - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: tubacharlie on 08-21-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

I recently tried this on a trip to Michigan earlier last month. Although the label was a nice touch, the beer itself is a different story. And that's where I'll be brutally honest. To begin with, the taste smacked of wheat. Lots of it. There was little foam retention for the head, and the color of the "beer", if you can truly call it that, was a pale yellow color. There was little in the way of hops that I noticed, too. Now, I know who came up with it. Rock's taste in beer apparently sucks, because to be honest, it's like he simply popped the label off a bottle of PBR or a bottle of Budweiser and threw the current label on instead. Like Kid Rock's music itself, this beer absolutely sucks.

1.16/5  rDev -57.2%

This is the palest, weakest stuff I have ever drunk. The head is not too horrible, a bit soapy in appearance. The color has just the faintest hint of yellow, it's the closest thing to clear I have ever seen in something claiming to be beer. The taste follows suit, very little grain flavor and no hops. The mouthfeel is slightly above awful thanks to the foam, and to the fact that water doesn't have a bad mouthfeel. Certainly this goes down quick, and there are no foul overtones, but there is no point to it. It's one thing to try to make a decent beer and fail, and another not even to try. This makes Coors Light feel like Guinness.

Please world, forgive the State of Michigan for this beer.

1.22/5  rDev -55%

This past summer, rock 'n' roller and ex-Mr. Pamela Anderson Kid Rock made a splash with the launch of his American Bad Ass Beer Company and their Bad Ass American Lager. The brand is also being contract brewed by Michigan Brewing Company. Unfortunately, it's as bad as its label implies and not in a good way.

I sampled ...er, choked down a pint on my last visit to MBC, and one can see what it's trying to be: a full bodied, but non-offensive American-style light lager. Unfortunately, I could barely get my nose past the offensive DMS to actually take a sip. I don't know if the diacetyl rest took, either, as the flavors of creamed corn and butter overwhelmed any malt or beer flavor.

It could have been a bad day at the office or perhaps there was just an issue in that keg, I don't know, but in any event, I can't recommend this one. I can only hope they get things cleaned up before they plan any wide releases of this stuff.

1.24/5  rDev -54.2%

A. Highly watered down lemonade, almost clear, no lacing, quick fading snow white head

S. Limited,nearly non-existant. Maybe the best aspect of this beer.

T. Like nothing I've had before, nothing, except for the faint hints of lemon perrier

M. Once again, Lemon Perrier. Actually I am doing an injustice to Lemon Perrier.

O. a great gag (literally) gift for any beer lover, just make sure that you leave before they become disgusted with this beer.

1.45/5  rDev -46.5%

This beer is simply bad. Is pours as light as any beer I've ever seen. It looks like it could be Zima. There is almost no taste one way or the other, and the mouthfeel is as close to water as any beer I've ever had. To be honest, it's as if Coors Light got Natty Light pregnant, and somehow they are both disappointed by their offspring. In summary, Stroh's was three times the beer this is! Stay away!

1.46/5  rDev -46.1%

I got this beer while out to dinner at a restaurant in our home town. When the server brought me my drink, there was absolutely no head at all. The color was nothing to write home about, very clear yellow that would expect to see out of a can of Budweiser.

The best way that I could describe the smell would by of dirty dishwater, which I thought, well maybe I got a dirty glass, but the taste of the beer was very similar to the smell. The beer had little to no flavor, no hops, no caramel, nothing that I would expect a beer to taste like, but what flavor it did have was what I can only describe as what the smell of dirty dishwater would taste like.

Overall, if you are in the market for a beer that is very easy to drink with nearly no flavor, this could be the beer for you. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a beer that they can drink slowly and enjoy.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

6 pack given to me by my boss. pours out pale yellow just like all other light lager. Smells a bit skunky which is surprising given that it's in a brown bottle.

Tastes like most light lager with a tiny bit more bite. If you like Yuengling lager you would probably like Badass.

Not much to this beer, thin and watery I guess if you served this at a BBQ in the summer most people would drink it. But I wouldn't pay money for it.

1.59/5  rDev -41.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a very pale and dull grey yellow color. Produced a pure white head. Some lace.

(S)- Smells like pure corn and rice grain and a very sugary/sweet smelling one at that.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Lots of sugary corn and rice. Mild metallic bits.

(M)- Good carbonation level. Very light and mild with quite a sugar-filled profile for the style. Crisp.

(D)- Very light bodied and crisp, though extremely sweet for the style. Not a fan unfortunately.

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

A - This beer pours an extremely pale straw color. This is probably the palest beer I have ever seen. It has a 2-finger fluffy white head on top. The head has pretty good retention, and it leaves a few specs of lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose is pretty faint. From what I am getting though, it basically smells like your average light lager. Some graininess and corn-like sweetness. There is also a really faint hop aroma.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. It starts off with some grainy malt and some corn sweetness. There is a small amount of hop presence detectable, as well as a bit of citrusy lemon flavor. The finish leaves some lingering citrus and grainy malt.

M - This has a pretty light body and average carbonation. It goes down easy and has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is some sweetness. This would definitely benefit if the body wasn't so thin.

O - This has okay drinkability. I mean it goes down easy and it would be easy to drink a few in a night. Overall, It just isn't an impressive beer. It is just your typical pale lager, and just really isn't interesting. I wouldn't recommend picking it up.

2.1/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a glass lager mug, looks of a straw (piss) yellow.
Smells like a cheap lager, but sweeter.
Tastes like a cheap macro lager, but with a bland corn flavor to it.
Feels and drinks smooth, mild carbonation.

Better than most cheap American Lager's, but nothing fantastic either.

2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Oh boy, oh boy. Friend got me a bottle of this as a joke.

I think this is the palest beer I've ever seen. Very clear, basically like water with a touch of yellow. Crystal clear, with lots of rapid carbonation and a huge sudsy head.

The smell was extremely mild. A touch of apple/corn/straw. Watery lager, basically.

As was the taste. A bit of apple and corn. Extremely watery. I think more watery than BMC.

The mouthfeel was very thin and watery.

Drinkability was poor if you enjoy your beer to have flavor. But since it's so mild, it's easy to drink. Not much fun though.

2.37/5  rDev -12.5%

My contribution to our Madison Heights bad(ass) beer tasting. Served somewhat inappropriately in a tulip. Purchased from a grocery store in Royal Oaks.

A - Surprisingly decent head retention and lacing for the style, that eventually settles to a partial white cap and thick collar. Fizzy transparent yellow body.

S - Sharp grains, creamed corn, yeasty bread, lightly floral hops, and a faint touch of skunk.

T - Lots of corn, that lingers indefinitely through the finish and aftertaste. A kiss of pale malt and fruitiness, and some of that steamed rice and "generic" beer yeastiness. Gets saccharine and cloying as it warms up.

M - Fizzy, slightly harsh carbonation, medium-light body, and a lightly sticky finish. No trace of the listed 4.2% ABV - impressive.

D - The name is clearly punctuated incorrectly - I believe it should be "Bad, Ass, Lager". Would probably pair nicely with a Kid Rock record and some grilled roadkill.

2.51/5  rDev -7.4%

My wife bought a six-pack of this for me on a recent trip to Michigan, as the clerk told her is was definately something I couldn't get in Missouri. While the idea of Kid Rock starting a brewery to create jobs is nice (if that's even true), the actual product does noe impress. I have had an American Lager in forever, but there just wasn't much to this beer. Very pale in color, little to no hop aroma and very minimal substance in the body. I realize this is not supposed to be a double IPA or Imperial Stout, but it's barely better than a Budweiser, if it even is.

2.59/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle, from the gas station across from my hotel in Southgate, Michigan. Nice, suitably bad-ass, "Don't tread on me" spread bald eagle black and silver label iconography. I’d heard of this from Mr. Rock's shilling on the talk show circuit a while back, and for less than a twoonie, well, when in Rome, or I guess metro Detroit…

This beer pours a very clear, very very very (did I say very?) pale straw, um 'colour', with a teeming amount of thinly foamy bone-white head, which leaves some sudsy swaths of lace around the glass as it ethereally wisps away. It smells quite faintly of bready grain, and equally far-off weedy hops. The taste is soft cornbread-esque sweetness, and bland, inoffensive weedy, earthy hops. Surprisingly little skank, only a bit as it approaches room temperature – must be the proximity to the source, and the cleansing effect of interstate bypasses. The carbonation is average, unobtrusive, the body light, strangely not that watery, and pretty smooth, nothing really there to provide snags or bumps in the road, for better or worse. It finishes fairly clean, just a hint of graininess indicating that a beer once stood here.

Not much goin' on, just plain white and crackery, despite the outward protestations to the contrary. Now I get it.

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%

A friend gave me a bottle try out and since it is American owned and American made (to my understanding) I will drink it.

A: Looks like urine. Lime yellow, pale doesn't explain how watered down it looks. Fizzy, bubbly head runs away after several seconds.

S: Crisp, hint of sweet honey, biscuit tangy lager aroma.

T: Tastes like carbonated water. No alcohol presence at all.

M: If I would believe it was carbonated green tea if told so. No mouthfeel at all.

O: Better than BMC light lagers (have not had one in two years:), smooth yet not my thing. I would use this as mouthwash in-between an IPA and a Stout to help rinse out my pallet.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to VinnieVanGogh for being an american badass and giving this to me. Alright, now that that is done on with the review.

A- Pours a very light pale straw yellow color. One finger fizzy head shows light retention. Some light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass fall back into the beer.

S- Biscuity malts with a strong grain aroma in the front of the beer. There was a honeylike backending aroma that became overwhelming. No real hop aroma at all....I thought the alcohol stood out more than the hops.

T- Biscuity tone in the front of the beer changes into a light caramel malt sweetness. Hints of light butter in the middle of the beer. Toasted malts on the backend of the beer with a hint of grassy/lightly skunked hops. Alcohol is dull and unclean tasting in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high overall but on par for the style. A lot of grains and semi-sweet malts are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, hint of skunked hops, and wet grain. Flavors were light and hard to tell if they were blended well. Buttery notes are the only off flavor which I would assume is a off flavor. No alcohol real alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This beer is what I would say is a "C" average beer. It wasn't anything over the top but a lot better tasting than most pale lagers. The alcohol was not there at all which I liked overall in this style of beer. The hops when present seemed a little skunked once again like a lot of the beers in this style.

12 oz can

Michigan Brewing Badass American Lager poured into my mug a very, very, light [one of the lightest I have seen] clear yellow producing a thin white head that just vanished in no time. Due to its very anemic appearance I wasn’t expecting much from this beer. However, Badass did deliver more than its appearance showed. The aroma is of the American Pale Lager style…very light malt. The flavor is a bit more promising. The taste is of light malt with a touch of hops.

I am afraid I like Kid Rock better than “his” beer. Despite some of its short comings I would choose Badass over many American macro adjunct/light lagers.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Very pale gold color with very thin head, no lacing at all.

S: Aroma of rice and corn and no hop, very sad just to be an average beer of "macro" quality but litte better than your everyday American Lager.

T: Very little taste, sad but true, I bought this sixer because it was a Kid Rock thing :-(

M: Watery and very light upon looking at this beer it appears to be a light beer but is not labeled as such.

D: Depends... if I was looking to get drunk yea could drink about 16 of em but would be very bloated. If I wanted something to drink for taste , this would not be that beer.

2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

I spotted this $2 bomber of Badass American Lager on the shelf next to a row of 24 ounce Genesee Cream Ales for $1. As such, this review will likely hinge upon whether or not I felt I was better served by this than by a pair of Genny Creams. For those of you not hip to the 411, Badass American Lager is Kid Rock's beer, brewed by Michigan Brewing Company (though the official website claims that Rock "all but built this from scratch"). I hate to judge a book by its cover, but I'm half-expecting that Kid Rock just poured a couple of Budweisers into a bomber and slapped a label on it. I shall do my best to remain subjective. The flat-black label looks like the backside of a biker jacket, complete with an eagle embossed in pewter, wings spread wide. I have to give credit where credit is due; it actually does look pretty badass.

Resisting my instinct to crank up some Skynyrd and swig this bad-boy straight from the bomber, I pour about half the bottle into a pint glass. A small amount of bubbly head surfaces only to vanish into the ether, leaving behind a seriously anemic looking glass of crystal clear pale beer. Carbonation remains visible through the glass, but I can't say much else for the look of this. I am now assured that Kid Rock didn't in fact pour Budweiser into a new bottle. Budweiser is a shade darker than this.

I was under the impression that this was a 100% malt brew but darned if it doesn't smell of adjunct grains. Hints of sweet corn rise from the watery aroma. Alcohol touches the nose ever so softly along with a phantom whiff of rice. Before cracking this open I was expecting something perhaps a pinch more premium, but this is shaping up to be a pretty run-of-the-mill American lager.

Thankfully there are signs of life in the taste. There is nothing to distinguish this from any macro lager, but at least it's a stab to do macro lager right. Just don't expect any surprises here. Light corn sets the pace for the flavor profile. It's carried by a ton of soda-like carbonation. Going down, malt remains present in the aftertaste. It doesn't offend, but I think that's the point. It's just plain old beer.

On the other hand, my mouth isn't quite sure what to make of this. The brew is a bit watered down so it appears light to begin with, but then there's the over the top amount of carbonation that's almost offensive. By the time I poured the second half of the bomber, much of the carbonation had escaped and I must say that the overall effect is much better without it.

For all its weaknesses however, the real strength of this "badass" brew shines through in its drinkability. The light inoffensive flavor combined with a soda like easiness and a relatively low 4.2% ABV make this darn close to sessionable. If American light lagers are your thing, you'd be well served by this. It seems to outperform macro light lagers at their own game. Still I can't help but feel that instead of the "badass" image that was created around this exceedingly average brew, it should have just been distributed in those generic white cans simply labeled "BEER" in black letters. I wouldn't seek this out again, but if it somehow showed up at a party next to a cooler of Coors Light, I'd take Kid Rock's Badass American Lager every time. However, next time I'm buying cheap singles at the grocery I'll stick with a pair of "Genny Creams".

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours the usual adjunct lager pale yellow, one finger length width head that fades soon. Not much lacing.

S: Scents of corn and the usual adjuncts, along with a faint graininess. Not surprised.

T: See above. Subtle notes of fruit as well.

M: Light mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

D: Easy to drink. More than a few can easily be had.

Kid Rock's beer isn't anything special, but I wasn't expecting as much.

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz cab
Served in a pilsner glass

A - I have never seen a beer this light in color. It is almost devoid of color. It is a very diluted yellow. Plenty of white head.

S - Lots of grain and grass

T - I also get lots of grain here, too.

M - Thin and watery

O - It reminds me of PBR

2.9/5  rDev +7%

Pours a very light corn color and a very thick head that recedes down to an inch. The only reason I'm giving the appearance a 3 is because the head is surprising thick. Smell is very sweat with hints of corn adjuncts. Goes down pretty smooth, is lightly carbonated and has just a slight hint bitterness in the back of the throat. Taste is very sweet followed by smack in the face with adjuncts.

Overall this is an average beer, which is more than expected. This would probably make a decent session beer. At the very least it has a very cool label.

2.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Watered down. Very light golden color with a bubbly white head.

Not much there. Decent grains and light fruits, apple and banana.

Actually not what I was expecting. Not as much corn flavor as typical american lagers. Similar to the smell, grains and apples. Very mild.

Lighter than most lagers, though kind of refreshing.

Not a very impressive brew, but I wasn't expecting much. Change of pace lager.

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

People shouldn't confuse this with a beer that's trying to be all that and then some. It's not trying to be a craft beer, it's not trying to be a high end beer. It's trying to be an easy drinking, cheap beer that anyone can drink. On that front, it's an absolute success.

There's not much to the beer but it's non-offensive, and goes down easy. The color is pale, pale straw color. The taste - not much there - tastes like a refreshing light beer. This is a beer that you want to have when its 100 degrees in the shade during the summer.

Good for just sitting around and shooting the s$#t with friends but not a beer that's going to impress any beer snob with lots of flavor profiles, hop character, etc, - but then again, it's not supposed to be.

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

I'll be honest here. I bought this for the label and bottlecap. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This is one of the lightest beers I have seen. Nearly completely clear and transparent, there is a little straw yellow color to convince me this is not Sprite. A fluffy white head puffs up with the pour, fades to a film and leaves some spotty lace on the glass.

Smell: Biscuity malt with a hint of honey-like sweetness. Other faint grains make an appearance. I get a light buttered popcorn aroma as well.

Taste: The front is light biscuity malt, followed by a fairly malt sweetness. A light toasted grain flavor joins, leading to some light noble hops. The finish is grainy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Slightly grainy, not quite crisp enough. The carbonation looked like it was there after pouring, only to hide a little bit during each sip. Mostly clean, with a light to medium body.

Drinkability: Well, the low ABV and moderately sweet nature of this beer guarantees that it would disappear by the glass were I at a BBQ or some other summer event. Better than the BMC products without getting overly complex.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast