Badass American Lager - Michigan Brewing Company

Badass American LagerBadass American Lager

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: tubacharlie on 08-21-2010)
2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.55/5  rDev +0.4%

A friend gave me a bottle try out and since it is American owned and American made (to my understanding) I will drink it.

A: Looks like urine. Lime yellow, pale doesn't explain how watered down it looks. Fizzy, bubbly head runs away after several seconds.

S: Crisp, hint of sweet honey, biscuit tangy lager aroma.

T: Tastes like carbonated water. No alcohol presence at all.

M: If I would believe it was carbonated green tea if told so. No mouthfeel at all.

O: Better than BMC light lagers (have not had one in two years:), smooth yet not my thing. I would use this as mouthwash in-between an IPA and a Stout to help rinse out my pallet.

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

2.8/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz can

Michigan Brewing Badass American Lager poured into my mug a very, very, light [one of the lightest I have seen] clear yellow producing a thin white head that just vanished in no time. Due to its very anemic appearance I wasn’t expecting much from this beer. However, Badass did deliver more than its appearance showed. The aroma is of the American Pale Lager style…very light malt. The flavor is a bit more promising. The taste is of light malt with a touch of hops.

I am afraid I like Kid Rock better than “his” beer. Despite some of its short comings I would choose Badass over many American macro adjunct/light lagers.

3.5/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a very pale yellow/straw color with a half inch thick, white creamy looking head that dissipates instantly. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Kind of skunky, strong scent of corn, grains, yeast, and a subtle sweetness.

Taste - Very malty and sweet.. Corn and grains is the most present flavor. Maybe a slight bit of citrus. Has a little bit of a skunky/grass flavor as well.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - Seems like this tastes better the second time having it.. It has a pretty good flavor to it but I don't like the carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.33/5  rDev -8.3%

My contribution to our Madison Heights bad(ass) beer tasting. Served somewhat inappropriately in a tulip. Purchased from a grocery store in Royal Oaks.

A - Surprisingly decent head retention and lacing for the style, that eventually settles to a partial white cap and thick collar. Fizzy transparent yellow body.

S - Sharp grains, creamed corn, yeasty bread, lightly floral hops, and a faint touch of skunk.

T - Lots of corn, that lingers indefinitely through the finish and aftertaste. A kiss of pale malt and fruitiness, and some of that steamed rice and "generic" beer yeastiness. Gets saccharine and cloying as it warms up.

M - Fizzy, slightly harsh carbonation, medium-light body, and a lightly sticky finish. No trace of the listed 4.2% ABV - impressive.

D - The name is clearly punctuated incorrectly - I believe it should be "Bad, Ass, Lager". Would probably pair nicely with a Kid Rock record and some grilled roadkill.

1.78/5  rDev -29.9%

A - This beer pours an extremely pale straw color. This is probably the palest beer I have ever seen. It has a 2-finger fluffy white head on top. The head has pretty good retention, and it leaves a few specs of lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose is pretty faint. From what I am getting though, it basically smells like your average light lager. Some graininess and corn-like sweetness. There is also a really faint hop aroma.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. It starts off with some grainy malt and some corn sweetness. There is a small amount of hop presence detectable, as well as a bit of citrusy lemon flavor. The finish leaves some lingering citrus and grainy malt.

M - This has a pretty light body and average carbonation. It goes down easy and has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is some sweetness. This would definitely benefit if the body wasn't so thin.

O - This has okay drinkability. I mean it goes down easy and it would be easy to drink a few in a night. Overall, It just isn't an impressive beer. It is just your typical pale lager, and just really isn't interesting. I wouldn't recommend picking it up.

1.2/5  rDev -52.8%

A. Highly watered down lemonade, almost clear, no lacing, quick fading snow white head

S. Limited,nearly non-existant. Maybe the best aspect of this beer.

T. Like nothing I've had before, nothing, except for the faint hints of lemon perrier

M. Once again, Lemon Perrier. Actually I am doing an injustice to Lemon Perrier.

O. a great gag (literally) gift for any beer lover, just make sure that you leave before they become disgusted with this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -39%

6 pack given to me by my boss. pours out pale yellow just like all other light lager. Smells a bit skunky which is surprising given that it's in a brown bottle.

Tastes like most light lager with a tiny bit more bite. If you like Yuengling lager you would probably like Badass.

Not much to this beer, thin and watery I guess if you served this at a BBQ in the summer most people would drink it. But I wouldn't pay money for it.

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

3.63/5  rDev +42.9%

Great beer but you must get it fresh. I've had this from some stores where it was probably sitting on the shelf for months, you have to buy it fresh. preferably as close to Webberville, Michigan as possible. This beer pours a golden yellow and smells of wheat. If its good the first taste with have this wheat/corn deliciousness taste to it. It really is a good 'budweiser' but not much more than that.

I recently tried this on a trip to Michigan earlier last month. Although the label was a nice touch, the beer itself is a different story. And that's where I'll be brutally honest. To begin with, the taste smacked of wheat. Lots of it. There was little foam retention for the head, and the color of the "beer", if you can truly call it that, was a pale yellow color. There was little in the way of hops that I noticed, too. Now, I know who came up with it. Rock's taste in beer apparently sucks, because to be honest, it's like he simply popped the label off a bottle of PBR or a bottle of Budweiser and threw the current label on instead. Like Kid Rock's music itself, this beer absolutely sucks.

2.85/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz cab
Served in a pilsner glass

A - I have never seen a beer this light in color. It is almost devoid of color. It is a very diluted yellow. Plenty of white head.

S - Lots of grain and grass

T - I also get lots of grain here, too.

M - Thin and watery

O - It reminds me of PBR

2.58/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bottle, from the gas station across from my hotel in Southgate, Michigan. Nice, suitably bad-ass, "Don't tread on me" spread bald eagle black and silver label iconography. I’d heard of this from Mr. Rock's shilling on the talk show circuit a while back, and for less than a twoonie, well, when in Rome, or I guess metro Detroit…

This beer pours a very clear, very very very (did I say very?) pale straw, um 'colour', with a teeming amount of thinly foamy bone-white head, which leaves some sudsy swaths of lace around the glass as it ethereally wisps away. It smells quite faintly of bready grain, and equally far-off weedy hops. The taste is soft cornbread-esque sweetness, and bland, inoffensive weedy, earthy hops. Surprisingly little skank, only a bit as it approaches room temperature – must be the proximity to the source, and the cleansing effect of interstate bypasses. The carbonation is average, unobtrusive, the body light, strangely not that watery, and pretty smooth, nothing really there to provide snags or bumps in the road, for better or worse. It finishes fairly clean, just a hint of graininess indicating that a beer once stood here.

Not much goin' on, just plain white and crackery, despite the outward protestations to the contrary. Now I get it.

1.48/5  rDev -41.7%

I got this beer while out to dinner at a restaurant in our home town. When the server brought me my drink, there was absolutely no head at all. The color was nothing to write home about, very clear yellow that would expect to see out of a can of Budweiser.

The best way that I could describe the smell would by of dirty dishwater, which I thought, well maybe I got a dirty glass, but the taste of the beer was very similar to the smell. The beer had little to no flavor, no hops, no caramel, nothing that I would expect a beer to taste like, but what flavor it did have was what I can only describe as what the smell of dirty dishwater would taste like.

Overall, if you are in the market for a beer that is very easy to drink with nearly no flavor, this could be the beer for you. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a beer that they can drink slowly and enjoy.

1.6/5  rDev -37%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a very pale and dull grey yellow color. Produced a pure white head. Some lace.

(S)- Smells like pure corn and rice grain and a very sugary/sweet smelling one at that.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Lots of sugary corn and rice. Mild metallic bits.

(M)- Good carbonation level. Very light and mild with quite a sugar-filled profile for the style. Crisp.

(D)- Very light bodied and crisp, though extremely sweet for the style. Not a fan unfortunately.

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a very light corn color and a very thick head that recedes down to an inch. The only reason I'm giving the appearance a 3 is because the head is surprising thick. Smell is very sweat with hints of corn adjuncts. Goes down pretty smooth, is lightly carbonated and has just a slight hint bitterness in the back of the throat. Taste is very sweet followed by smack in the face with adjuncts.

Overall this is an average beer, which is more than expected. This would probably make a decent session beer. At the very least it has a very cool label.

2.55/5  rDev +0.4%

My wife bought a six-pack of this for me on a recent trip to Michigan, as the clerk told her is was definately something I couldn't get in Missouri. While the idea of Kid Rock starting a brewery to create jobs is nice (if that's even true), the actual product does noe impress. I have had an American Lager in forever, but there just wasn't much to this beer. Very pale in color, little to no hop aroma and very minimal substance in the body. I realize this is not supposed to be a double IPA or Imperial Stout, but it's barely better than a Budweiser, if it even is.

3.15/5  rDev +24%

This beer is about as light in color as would be typical for the style, though just a bit darker than the standard "straw" yellow. It's fizzy and thin, yes, but there is a little bit to the white head and the foam it leaves behind when it recedes, and even a little stick in some very light, spotty lacing.
The nose is where I notice it's not an adjunct; there is a light biscuity malt even giving off a little sweetness, surprisingly not one-sided, as there is an impression both of caramel and fruits. Grassy notes linger lightly and a grains presence is strong. Hops are very light and the aroma lacks strength, but I'd call this slightly above par for a generally very weak style.
This beer loses a little depth in the flavor, although hops bitterness does at least come out. Unfortunately, rather than adding it mixes in such a way because it's so light that it comes out more as a gentle sourness than real bitterness. Grains being foremost, it doesn't detract terribly, and the sweetness of the malts balances it out a bit.
Carbonation is quite lively and it at least keeps the beer as a whole lively as well. The crispness expected of weaker styles such as this one and adjunct lagers is in full force. The body is as light as expected (very), but given the standard isn't off.
This, like any like it, is what it is. I'd call it slightly above par for the course, as it were.

Badass American Lager from Michigan Brewing Company