Badass American Lager - Michigan Brewing Company

Badass American LagerBadass American Lager

poor

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: tubacharlie on 08-21-2010)
KickInTheChalice

3.1/5  rDev +23%

I'll be honest here. I bought this for the label and bottlecap. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This is one of the lightest beers I have seen. Nearly completely clear and transparent, there is a little straw yellow color to convince me this is not Sprite. A fluffy white head puffs up with the pour, fades to a film and leaves some spotty lace on the glass.

Smell: Biscuity malt with a hint of honey-like sweetness. Other faint grains make an appearance. I get a light buttered popcorn aroma as well.

Taste: The front is light biscuity malt, followed by a fairly malt sweetness. A light toasted grain flavor joins, leading to some light noble hops. The finish is grainy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Slightly grainy, not quite crisp enough. The carbonation looked like it was there after pouring, only to hide a little bit during each sip. Mostly clean, with a light to medium body.

Drinkability: Well, the low ABV and moderately sweet nature of this beer guarantees that it would disappear by the glass were I at a BBQ or some other summer event. Better than the BMC products without getting overly complex.

02-22-2011 03:44:37 | More by KickInTheChalice
rings

1.2/5  rDev -52.4%

This past summer, rock 'n' roller and ex-Mr. Pamela Anderson Kid Rock made a splash with the launch of his American Bad Ass Beer Company and their Bad Ass American Lager. The brand is also being contract brewed by Michigan Brewing Company. Unfortunately, it's as bad as its label implies and not in a good way.

I sampled ...er, choked down a pint on my last visit to MBC, and one can see what it's trying to be: a full bodied, but non-offensive American-style light lager. Unfortunately, I could barely get my nose past the offensive DMS to actually take a sip. I don't know if the diacetyl rest took, either, as the flavors of creamed corn and butter overwhelmed any malt or beer flavor.

It could have been a bad day at the office or perhaps there was just an issue in that keg, I don't know, but in any event, I can't recommend this one. I can only hope they get things cleaned up before they plan any wide releases of this stuff.

02-11-2011 21:01:09 | More by rings
pb9613

4.05/5  rDev +60.7%

Everybody should remember, Kid Rock is trying to create a American lager not an double IPA. This is supposed to be a high end lager but tends to fall a little short in color, flavor and aroma. But lke the creator of this beer, there is many aspects of this beer that are surprising but if you are into only one aspect of this beer it will disappoint. (i.e. If you loved "Bawitdaba", "All Summer Long" may disappoint) All together it is a surprising lager.

Appearance: Very pale gold color with very thin head and very lacing at all.

Smell: This beer emits a nice flowery aroma when poured but has very little hops smell after the initial burst but the sweet malt lingers.

Taste: A slightly sweet malt flaver carries on but like the pale gold color it is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light similar to the color and taste of this beer.

Drinkability: This is a beer that can be drunk all night long while jamming to Kid Rock.

02-09-2011 00:34:43 | More by pb9613
gmfessen

3.18/5  rDev +26.2%

Saw this one at the store and had to try the "Badass" beer, but with doubtful hesitation. I felt a little better about it when I found out it was brewed in Webberville (MBC). Poured from a very cool looking 22 oz bomber into a pint glass, Badass is a perfectly clear straw color with very active carbonation and a thin, almost non-existant white head. The nose while not overwhelming, is malty sweet and slightly fruity with white grapes and pear notes. Flavor follows suit, lightly fruity but not overpowering. A little too much on the sweet side though, could use some more hops to balance (and to be more badass). Mouthfeel is very light but the carbonation is active and very full. Overall a drinkable beer, definitely a better pick than a BMC lager but BADASS might be a stretch.

01-31-2011 23:20:26 | More by gmfessen
matt20102

3.3/5  rDev +31%

Served from bottle into pilsner glass at refrigerator temperature. This is an interesting beer- it's lack of flavor and depth is not necessarily a failing, unless you want a beer. The aroma of is American malt with a subtle hop presence; the flavor is exactly the same and is about as strong as it's almost non present color and head. For a beverage, it's not bad- even if the label does make fun of the pretentious craft beer that so many of us love. There is no complexity to this swill, but that's not a bad thing. For a backyard bbq, after showing off some good beer, this would be a fantastic refreshing brew. Think of it like alcoholic soda. For the money ($ not $$), it's not bad- but I might tend toward Strohs for cheap stuff- but I would but it again.

01-10-2011 01:34:48 | More by matt20102
ElGrecoVerde

2.95/5  rDev +17.1%

Look:
Watered down. Very light golden color with a bubbly white head.

Smell:
Not much there. Decent grains and light fruits, apple and banana.

Taste:
Actually not what I was expecting. Not as much corn flavor as typical american lagers. Similar to the smell, grains and apples. Very mild.

Feel:
Lighter than most lagers, though kind of refreshing.

Not a very impressive brew, but I wasn't expecting much. Change of pace lager.

01-08-2011 20:56:03 | More by ElGrecoVerde
sophisticated

2.17/5  rDev -13.9%

Oh boy, oh boy. Friend got me a bottle of this as a joke.

I think this is the palest beer I've ever seen. Very clear, basically like water with a touch of yellow. Crystal clear, with lots of rapid carbonation and a huge sudsy head.

The smell was extremely mild. A touch of apple/corn/straw. Watery lager, basically.

As was the taste. A bit of apple and corn. Extremely watery. I think more watery than BMC.

The mouthfeel was very thin and watery.

Drinkability was poor if you enjoy your beer to have flavor. But since it's so mild, it's easy to drink. Not much fun though.

01-08-2011 03:30:15 | More by sophisticated
uno99

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +38.1%

Got this as a gag-xmas gift from my brother. I really didn't see this coming and I didn't know what to say when I unwrapped it.

Its not a terrible Beer; but first some cometary on the package and presentation.

Imagine a female to male impersonator... A crossdresser will do anything imaginable to look and act the part of somone who is born with all the bits and pieces. This often involves dressing and acting in a way in which no biological man would.... This beer is embodies that spirit exactly.

The bottle goes overboard to give you the impression that this is a REAL "badass" beer. What results is a complete joke with its embossed bald eagle, huge block lettered "BADASS", and its simple mono color scheme. I know this is Kid Rocks shtick, but if I were to see any guy drinking this without a tongue in his cheek, I'd immediately suspect him as someone who isnt quite secure with their masculinity! (or in beer terms, not comfortable drinking a budwiser, and wants to look like they know about beer.)

A: Looks slightly deeper than the average (light?) lager. head dissapears quickly and leaves almost no lacing. Serious points taken off for the hokey bottle.

S: Quite macro-esque. more hops than the standard non-badass Labatt Blue or Budwiser.

T: Corn and adjunct grains are apparent here as well. Although slightly more hoppy than the average macro.

M: A little over carbonated but not too bad. thin and light with no stickiness.

D: Goes down pretty darn good. An unremarkable beer but no big off flavors. Its too bad I wouldn't be caught dead drinking this. This is one time I'll let marketing make my decision on a beer...

12-28-2010 22:36:02 | More by uno99
nukem5

2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Very pale gold color with very thin head, no lacing at all.

S: Aroma of rice and corn and no hop, very sad just to be an average beer of "macro" quality but litte better than your everyday American Lager.

T: Very little taste, sad but true, I bought this sixer because it was a Kid Rock thing :-(

M: Watery and very light upon looking at this beer it appears to be a light beer but is not labeled as such.

D: Depends... if I was looking to get drunk yea could drink about 16 of em but would be very bloated. If I wanted something to drink for taste , this would not be that beer.

12-15-2010 23:21:52 | More by nukem5
weizenbob

2.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I spotted this $2 bomber of Badass American Lager on the shelf next to a row of 24 ounce Genesee Cream Ales for $1. As such, this review will likely hinge upon whether or not I felt I was better served by this than by a pair of Genny Creams. For those of you not hip to the 411, Badass American Lager is Kid Rock's beer, brewed by Michigan Brewing Company (though the official website claims that Rock "all but built this from scratch"). I hate to judge a book by its cover, but I'm half-expecting that Kid Rock just poured a couple of Budweisers into a bomber and slapped a label on it. I shall do my best to remain subjective. The flat-black label looks like the backside of a biker jacket, complete with an eagle embossed in pewter, wings spread wide. I have to give credit where credit is due; it actually does look pretty badass.

Resisting my instinct to crank up some Skynyrd and swig this bad-boy straight from the bomber, I pour about half the bottle into a pint glass. A small amount of bubbly head surfaces only to vanish into the ether, leaving behind a seriously anemic looking glass of crystal clear pale beer. Carbonation remains visible through the glass, but I can't say much else for the look of this. I am now assured that Kid Rock didn't in fact pour Budweiser into a new bottle. Budweiser is a shade darker than this.

I was under the impression that this was a 100% malt brew but darned if it doesn't smell of adjunct grains. Hints of sweet corn rise from the watery aroma. Alcohol touches the nose ever so softly along with a phantom whiff of rice. Before cracking this open I was expecting something perhaps a pinch more premium, but this is shaping up to be a pretty run-of-the-mill American lager.

Thankfully there are signs of life in the taste. There is nothing to distinguish this from any macro lager, but at least it's a stab to do macro lager right. Just don't expect any surprises here. Light corn sets the pace for the flavor profile. It's carried by a ton of soda-like carbonation. Going down, malt remains present in the aftertaste. It doesn't offend, but I think that's the point. It's just plain old beer.

On the other hand, my mouth isn't quite sure what to make of this. The brew is a bit watered down so it appears light to begin with, but then there's the over the top amount of carbonation that's almost offensive. By the time I poured the second half of the bomber, much of the carbonation had escaped and I must say that the overall effect is much better without it.

For all its weaknesses however, the real strength of this "badass" brew shines through in its drinkability. The light inoffensive flavor combined with a soda like easiness and a relatively low 4.2% ABV make this darn close to sessionable. If American light lagers are your thing, you'd be well served by this. It seems to outperform macro light lagers at their own game. Still I can't help but feel that instead of the "badass" image that was created around this exceedingly average brew, it should have just been distributed in those generic white cans simply labeled "BEER" in black letters. I wouldn't seek this out again, but if it somehow showed up at a party next to a cooler of Coors Light, I'd take Kid Rock's Badass American Lager every time. However, next time I'm buying cheap singles at the grocery I'll stick with a pair of "Genny Creams".

11-20-2010 18:50:06 | More by weizenbob
DannyDan

3.35/5  rDev +32.9%

This is my first review on here. I bought a six pack of this for $6.49 because I liked the name. I poured the beer into a mug and saw that it poured into a light golden pale color, it had a small head with not much retention and had good carbonation. When drinking it had a good mouth feel and goes down nice and smooth. It has a very faint biscuit and light hop taste. It is not a bad beer and for those who like a beer that is easy drinking while listening to Kid Rock or other music this "Bad Ass" beer is a must try

11-18-2010 07:42:38 | More by DannyDan
StoutHunter

3.55/5  rDev +40.9%

Got a 6 pack of this the other day so lets see how badass this beer really is. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a very clear watery yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed.

S- Slight amounts of grains with an even slighter presence of floral hops. Not much going on here.

T- This is where this beer shines. The flavor starts off with a big presence of grainy malts that taste biscuity, there is also some floral hops on the finish but just like the smell the hops are very slight.

M- Very light bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

D- Well this an American lager so it better be really drinkable, and it is. It wouldn't be much of a task to drink a six pack while watching a nascar race or grilling outside.

Overall I thought this was one good American lager, a step above the usual BMC products. I was a little skeptical of this beer at first because of the brewery and that its endorsed by Kid Rock, but it turned out to be a good beer for its style and I am sure I will be drinking more of this, especially in the summer.

11-17-2010 03:24:12 | More by StoutHunter
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +52.8%

A- Watered down clear pale gold with average head and medium carbonation.

S- Grains and a bit of floral hop scent. Very faint however.

T- Grains and hops as well as a little bit of sweetness. I think it must be honey or something. It has a lighter taste, but doesn't feel too lacking at the same time. Starts with a fairly light taste before the hops kick in, and then the aftertaste becomes sweeter.

M- Light body and somewhat watery with carbonation that seems a bit overpowered. Quite crisp though.

D- Better than the label would have suggested. I have to admit, that's why I bought the bottle. It just seemed so blatantly American, in an "America Fuck Yeah" kind of way, but I found that it was actually a decent choice, and had some good things going for it, in that it's refreshing, and that it has a nice clean taste. I don't think I'd pick it up again considering it's on the other side of the border, but I think it surpasses most macros and is worth checking out.

09-26-2010 23:48:55 | More by BBP
Thebadfrogger

3.95/5  rDev +56.7%

Poured a pale, straw color, clear with an ample head that receded quickly.
Not much to the aroma, a little grainy with slight floral hop notes.
This is one very smooth beer going down. A slight biscuity malt flavor with floral hops, just a hint of bitterness. Finishes super clean.
Very light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Very crisp, very drinkable and very refreshing.
The only thing badass here is how light and refreshing this beer really is.

09-20-2010 07:57:22 | More by Thebadfrogger
hosehead83

3.2/5  rDev +27%

Poured from a cool-looking "bomber" bottle that kind of reminds you of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle jacket or a Jack Daniels bottle. Received into a standard pint glass.
Pale, straw-colored brew, with a relatively short, quickly receding head of foam.
Aroma-Faint grain and malt notes.
Taste-Faint grain and biscuit, a hint of malt sweetness and a tiny hop bite. Very light, refreshing, and drinkable. A step above the big BMC beers. A nice, easy drinking summer backyard BBQ brew, or a must at a Kid Rock concert since it's basically the beer he supported and helped "create". Looking forward to more brews from Mr. Rock.

09-13-2010 15:04:01 | More by hosehead83
tubacharlie

3.23/5  rDev +28.2%

Full, frothy white head of large bubbles that subsides quickly. A somewhat flowery hop aroma emerges.

The brew is a very pale straw yellow color and crystal clear, with active effervescence. Continuous streams of small bubbles emanate randomly from the bottom to replenish the surface ring.

Foaming in the mouth, it has a light, refreshing ginger ale appeal as it greets the tongue, followed by a scant bit of malt flavor chased to the back pallet by bittering hops. Light and easy drinking, this is why American Lager is the beer of choice for the vast majority of beer drinkers, but probably not most BA's.

A tad above BMC's, but not by much. Good with a hot dog at the ballpark or such, for which it was apparently designed.

08-21-2010 03:03:30 | More by tubacharlie