Michigan Brewing Bavarian Dark - Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Bavarian Dark
No picture uploaded.

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2003)
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Acquired via trade from plaztikjezuz, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of coffee, dark roasted malts and lager yeast with just a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and a little smoky, with flavors of roasted coffee and dark chocolate, but overly sweet. There’s a decent hops presence that provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly smoky.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, I would argue that this beer belongs in the Schwarzbier style so I’m not so sure how well it represents the Munich Dunkel Lager style, in and of itself however, it’s good darker beer that I could drink several of.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 02, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A great dark beer. Pours out to a dark coffee color with a big head of dense tan foam. Lots of lace, and a medium-low level of carbonation. Aromas are packed with roasted malts and grain, coffee and cocoa. Nice. Taste is bold and inviting; roasted malts, hints of dry hops, grain, woody notes, some smokey elements. Nice. Mouthfeel is smooth and a touch on the creamy side. Drinkability is north of average. A good dark beer that would go great with some German food. Recommended.

Frozensoul327, Apr 28, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

I had a pint of Bavarian Dark for $3.00 at the Bavarian Inn restaurant today. I have had this beer many times, I always get it when I go to their beer garden to hang out with friends, it makes a good alternative to Hoffbrau. Poured from a freshly tapped keg into a plastic pint cup.

A- Ir poured a pretty dark brown color that was similar to dark chocolate and only a couple shades away from being black, it also had a finger and a half of light tan head that left some fairly nice lacing.

S- This is a pretty robust smelling Dunkel, that's how I like em. It starts of with large amount of dark medium roasted malts that impart a pretty nice dose of coffee along with some chocolate. I also pick up a little bit of grassy bitter hops, but for the most part the aroma is all about the dark malts, like it should be.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma with the main focus being on the malts. The malts are dark and roasty and impart a pretty nice coffee taste that is noticeable but not overpowering and it blends well with some chocolate flavors. This brew seems to have a medium amount of sweetness that works well with the roastyness of this Dunkle. Just like they were in the aroma, the hops are evident but not overly so and they have a nice earthy and grassy flavor to them that helps balance out all the roast and the sweetness that makes for a pretty well balanced flavor.

M- Smooth and on the light side of medium, it could be a little thicker, but that might hurt its drinkability so I am fine with the way it is. Carbonation was on the lighter side and could have been bumped up a couple notches, but its not a major issue.

Overall I thought this was a good Dunkel that gives me my dark beer fix when I am at the beer garden. This may have a higher roast then most Dunkels so isn't as true to it's style as some of my favorite Dunkels, but I don't feel like the extra roast hurts this beer at all since the drinkability is right where it should be for this style and since the whole point of this style is to be a light roasty dark alternative to lagers, and this beer does a great job with that and goes great with a big soft pretzel. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it was just about where it should be for a Dunkel with a little extra roast that keeps me interested and wanting more, this beer also has great drinkability, I usually drink four or five of these in a sitting and never feel overly full. I like most everything about this beer but if I had to change anything I would add a little more carbonation for better head and retention and the perfect mouthfeel. This beer isn't bottled so you either have to go to the brewery or the Bavarian Inn to get it, but if you find yourself in Frankenmuth and want to grab a beer at the beer garden this is your best choice and I highly recommend it. I have to admit I am not a big fan of this brewery but this is a pretty good beer, just too bad that they contract brew it and can't market it as their own, but as long as they keep supplying the Bavarian Inn with it, I will keep drinking it.

StoutHunter, Aug 27, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

My wife and I decided on a whim to go to the Michigan Brewing Company today to get out of the house. My 5-month-old son Isaac was with us. He would stare quite longingly at our pints....he'll be a fine boy at that rate.

I digress. I tried this beer because it was one of the few I have not tried yet. Deeeelicious! I think this brewery is very very consistent with their beers.

Dark dark mahogany in the pint glass, with a white head that really stood out but didn't last long. No big deal. Leaves more beer! It did leave a nice lace that lasted throughout the pint.

This was not as heavy as other beers of this style. I didn't smell a ton of hints as to its taste (hence the 3.5), but the taste itself was great. Big-time toasted malt, subtle (but not weak) hops. Lighter body than I expected; thin and wet, a little hops bite at the finish, which pleased me just as well. The biggest thing that stood out for me was the toasted malt. Yummy! As I said before, another consistent beer from a consistent brewery.

Smittysguinness, Oct 30, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +1%

On-tap poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown body with about a 1-1/2 finger, light tan head that eventually became a full lace that left great stick on the glass.

S- Chocolaty and coffee-like, highlighting the bitter aspects of both.

T- Roasty, grainy flavor. Bitter, dark chocolate and black coffee with a hint of sour that you'd get from a Guinness.

M- Clean feel with a slight coating.

D- Easy drinker. Not gonna' have a bunch, but very drinkable at the same time.

GRPunk, Jan 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Also known as "Frankenmuth Inn Bavarian Dark" on tap at Cole's in B-lo,growing up in the Frankenmuth area my dad used to drink a Bavarian Dark from the old Frankenmuth Brewery I wonder if this is the same recipe...the Bavarian Inn well thats a tourist trap.Came to the table in a standard pint glass a russett colored brown with a thinner but well defined white head,grainy aromas with a touch of caramel and orange peel,flavors are malt tilted to be expected quite fruity with the orange notes coming through and grainy a touch of caramel sweetness but it stays pretty firm in its dryness .Easy going down went well with wings its just cool to see this beer in the Buffalo area.

oberon, Oct 18, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

MarkyMOD, May 28, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Not sure this found its way to NY, but I picked up a single from the Party Source in Syracuse. This is a good looking dark beer, black like guinness but without much head or lacing. Smell and taste weren't as rich as I was hoping and it came off as more of an ale to me. There were some roasted and cocoa flavors, but it was mellow. Also tasted a bit yeasty of clove (I think). Not bad for a dark session beer.

tempest, Mar 31, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pint at the brewpub.

A- Dark chocolate brown with a thin, scuzzy head.

S- Bread and chocolate. Inviting.

T- Less chocolate and more stale coffee than the aroma would lead to believe. Earthy bitterness and a slight twang to the finish.

M- Watery and light.

Very sessionable at 3.9%, but otherwise very average.

sleestak4life, Jul 19, 2011
Michigan Brewing Bavarian Dark from Michigan Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.