1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Celis Grand Cru - Michigan Brewing Company

Celis Grand CruCelis Grand Cru

good

good

Michigan Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-28-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Celis Grand Cru Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -47.7%

Sorta dead looking in the glass, poured with hardly any head. There's a thin crown and a mild skim over the top after just a few seconds, and hardly any visible signs of carbonation. Sits in the goblet like apple juice. Bah.

Aroma is fruity, with pear and apple at the front, and a hint of the yeast eking out its place amidst what is ultimately a pretty weak and unimpressive aroma. No depth, certainly nothing that keeps me going back for another sniff.

Tastes like watered-down cologne. Some fruit gets through, as does some yeast, but everything's dominated by a way too medicinal, aftershave-esque alcohol. Astringent and boozy, without even having the decency to deliver some enjoyable flavors to offset the madness. Iron/copper and wet cardboard. Maybe this is just a case of oxidation, but whatever it is, it's terrible.

Texture is fine, a bit soft and buttery while also having enough carbonation to deliver a lively bounce. Still, I fear repeated sips to check this, as I cannot stand the flavor.

Somehow this turned out to be the worst of the three Celis beers I picked up recently. Wouldn't have guessed it before trying them, but their Raspberry and Wit beers were much better than this aftershave disaster. Haven't been real impressed with this brewery overall. It's not that there's no substitute for the real thing--there are some super-good Belgian ales brewed by Stateside brewers. These guys aren't on that list. PASS!!!

Bottle shared with Fly, Dewbrewer, Humulone_Red and others. Thanks guys! Well past best by date, and years old. Shared by one of the brewers of this beer.
Light golden pour. Spices and guaze like maltiness in the nose with similar sweet flavors as well. Light carbonation.

2.03/5  rDev -45%

There was a beautiful honey coloring to this beer. It was clear and light passed through easily. The thin white head faded quickly to nothing more than a ring around the glass. There was no lacing what so ever.

The smell is not overly pleasant. It was a mixture of Coriander, hops, citrus and yeast. Combined they actually give off a slight liver scent to the beer. In fact it was very reminiscent of liverwurst. The taste was much like the scent. It had a mix of coriander, yeast and malts that gave it liver-like flavor. There was a little burn to the finish of the beer.

This is a light bodied beer, and it was a little heavy on the carbonation for my tastes.
This is the second Belgian-style ale I've reviewed and I've come to the conclusion that maybe I just do not like that style of beer. Over all I did not find this pleasurable to drink.

2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

Looked like a bottle of Budweiser when poured. No head to speak of, minimal lacing, some fizz. Not good first impressions.

Nose was surprisingly light on alcohol - I got a lot of fruit from it, a touch of yeast. Smelled fresh.

Then the taste... oh, boy. Gasoline, cheese and syrup. Absurdly sweet and with an unappealing tang. Felt vaguely oily but on the whole this was just so horrible I didn't finish it. I'll not be trying this one again - it's not to my taste at all.

2.2/5  rDev -40.4%

A - Light gold, almost yellow color. No head what so ever.

S - Great Belgian smell, cant pinpoint what that smell is but it does smell intriguing and reminded me of some great Belgian beers Ive had in the past.

T - Does not come through from the smell. It was a little sweet, almost an essence of grape and/or honey.

M - Slightly syrupy

D - I like a good Belgian beer, but this one doesn't come through.

2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured this brew into a tumbler at 50 degrees. Beer was cloudy kind on golden toffee colored. Beer smelled like bread with kind of a wine like smell along for the ride. it also tasted very yeasty and way to fruity for my taste, also bitter. I will not purchase again.

2.45/5  rDev -33.6%

Served on draft in a pint glass, there was nothing notable about the clear, bright yellow appearance of the gran cru, which could have easily been mistaken for a regular American lager, except for less carbonation and head. As it disappointingly turned out, the aroma and taste followed suit, to the point of blandness, with only a bit of iron, spice and creaminess, followed by an alcoholic bite on the finish, to leave any type of impression. In my case, it was not a very good one!

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a slightly hazed golden with alight soapy head.

Smell was sweet and citrusy.

Taste was all spices - cinnoman, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Not much beer flavor.

mouthfeel is light and dry.

To much spice without any substance for me. Will avoid in the future.

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle to a pint glass. I got this as part of the microbeerclub.com beer of the month club

A - Golden Yellow, a bit hazy and poured to a two finger head. Good head retention and lacing throughout. Reminded me of a hazy budweiser in appearance. Bubbly carbonation

S - As soon as you open the cap, the smell immediately hits you. Sour, spice and fruit all come to mind. The fruit scent is there but definitely in the background. Reminded me of a mild Saison

T - Again, reminds me of a mild Saison. Sour upfront, and as it warmed the fruit flavors came out a bit more, but still in the background. Did not seem to get an overpowering alcohol flavor, good considering it has an 8% ABV.

M - Carbonation was a bit heavy, reminded me of a pilsner, light bodied

D- I like this better than a Saison, seems like a milder version. Still can't get past the sour flavors (taste & smell), the backend fruit flavor saves this for me, and makes it a bit refreshing. There is a hop bitterness but not overwhelming.

2.68/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a chalice. Golden yellow body pours with very little head that disappears quickly leaving a little bit of lace. There is a lot of carbonation visible since this is quite translucent. Smells like clove, citrus, and wheat - oddly, it's not inviting rather the smell is almost sterile. Taste is very citrusy - too much so, in fact, there's some spice and bit of bread taste as well, but not nearly enough balance. Mouthfeel is over carbonated - this could use some creaminess. However, the carbonation does lend a crispness to the citrus. If this were better balanced, I'd say I could drink more of it - at this point, one will do me just fine. Mild Recommendation.

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours clear golden with a modest soapy head.

Smell is quite sweet with generous spices- notably nutmeg and corriander.

Taste is candy sweet as the nose suggested. Subtle citrus fruitiness and generous spices.

Mouthfeel is very light and watery.

This brew is far too cloyingly sweet for my taste. I wouldn't bother with this one. There are much better Wit's out there.

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

Very pale with a foamy head that quickly dissapears

Spices are very present when smelling this beer, some shy coriandre flavours are present, a mellow bitterness is also present.

Very spicy at first when sipping on it, ethyl esters flavors are there, alcoholic notes plays with the whole.

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

My First Celis brew. I know quite a bit about the man, but havent drank a Celis besides Hoegarrden of course, and I'm sure that beer is a hollow husk of its former self now that InBev or whatever enormous company owns it. Incidentally I was shocked to see this brewed in Michigan

No BestBefore date or anything here. Served at 57 degrees.

A: Very dissapointing. extremely pale with no head or lacing. Almost looks like water on the edges of my lucifer goblet.

S: Well... lets see.. its a spiced strong wit beer. Smells of Corriander and orange zest. Some clove as well. Might be a little heavy on the spice for me. Smell isnt really great.

T: I keep wanting to compare this to Duvel and thats not a good thing since Duvel kicks the barley out of this. I'm sure its not bad, but Im just not a fan of spiced beers.

M: quite thick, and slightly sticky. not what I'm looking for when I reach for a Belgian Pale Ale, or a wheat.

D: Pretty disappointing. Not sure how much control Mr Celis has over this beer anymore, but It's quite average at best.

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

Clear golden with adequate amounts of carbonation in the body. Pure white froth caps the top of the beer and sticks around for a while. Lacing is more than adequate with white, web-like patterns. Fresh aroma of lemon zest, wheat tang, orange spicing and corriander. The flavor really doesn't do much for me. An odd combination of bittering hops and spices and yeast. And there's some heat in this beer as well that really isn't integrated that nicely. Whatever this beer is (Grand Cru, witbier, Imperial Wit), I'm glad I only bought a single.

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

Very clear light yellow color when poured. Definitely Belgian esters present. Very slight and delicate aroma. Light and mild taste with banana flavors. Alcohol is very well hidden. Spices are subtle with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very low bitterness considering the style.

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a golden slightly cloudy and has a nice head.
Smells of yeasts and some citrus undertones. Also has a bit of a sour smell to it. Not like fruit sour but maybe something closer to a Flemish beer.
Has a bit of a harsh flavor, maybe the beer has gone bad a little or maybe it just tastes this way and can be attributed to the alcohol.

I had this on tap and it tasted much better, hopefully I have just come across a bad batch.

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Spices/herbs assaulted my tastebuds on this, but I could not pick out any single one. A little too heavily spiced for my liking.

Very alcoholic taste, which if you look at the 8% you may go "duh", but I've had things this strong where the alcohol doesn't come through.

Somethings unevent about the taste of this, the spices/alcohol mixture overwhelm the tastebuds. Drinkablity average but not something I'd reach for.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.
Bottle has a date on it of 2/9/10, must be the best by date (?)
Pours a straw colored golden hue with a slight head. Head went away really quickly though!
Smells of...honestly...banana...and ones that are a little past their prime at that.
Starts off tasting decent but then takes a little noise dive for me. Maybe it's the banana smell, but something isn't working here for me. I love Duvel so maybe I am judging this one a little too harshly against that. On with the show, after bite of alcohol is present after every sip. Seems to mellow out after a few sips. Decent mouthfeel. It isn't a bad beer but I wouldn't jump at this one again.

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a half finger of thin white head. Color is a slight hazy pale yellow. No retention and very little lace.

Aroma: Spicy and skunky. Some yeast. A very boring smelling beer.

Taste: Spices, orange, pepper. This part reminds me a little of a saison. But then there is the skunkiness going on, which isn't very appealing.

Mouthfeel: A little sharp and crips. High carbonation level with a light to medium bodied. Leaves a dry annoying aftertaste.

Overall, this beer is nothing for me. The bottle could be old, so I may have to re-eval it or I simply just think this beer didn't par up to the style. This beer is not worthy of the title "Grand-Cru"

The pour of this was golden color with a decent white head on it. There was a little spiceiness on the nose and some yeast there as well. The taste of the beer wasn't really like some of the Grand Cru's I've had in the past. The taste was much more basic, seemed almost unfinished to me. The mouthfeel was drinkable but didn't really hit home either. This is an average brew at best for me.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

I picked up a single of this for $1.45 at the Lager Mill. This is my first from the Celis series from the Michigan Brewing Company, I have always liked most grand cru's so I figured this would be a safe purchase. No bottling date on this bottle. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into my sampling glass.

A- The label claims this an authentic Belgian style ale. I like the picture of some brewers brewing beer. This beer poured a pale straw yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed the rest of the time.

S- I pick up some orange peel and lemon zest along with some clove, coriander and some other spices. The aroma is more spice forward then wheat forward.

T- Pretty much a mirror of aroma. This one tends to be a little heavier on the spices then I would want but it's not off putting. The taste is pretty average for its style.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation.

D- This beer is pretty light and drinkable but the abundance of spices make it a one and done for me. The alchohl was hidden very well, had no clue this was 8%.

Overall this was an average brew. It lacked the balance that have come to expect from this style. I found the spices to be to much in this brew. I don't think I would buy this agian.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer pours a clear pale golden color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of funky yeast, lemon zest, anise, and a hint of coriander. Yeasty with only faint hints of the lemon zest and anise that are in the aroma. The mouthfeel is a bit lighter than medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a weak example of a Belgian Strong Ale. I cannot see myself drinking this again.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Dark straw, not quite gold. Sparkly, a very small and nonretentive head.

Wonderful wheat spice against a nice, slightly astringent yeast. Big white pepper and corriander, and zing of alcohol.

Smooth. The spice takes center stage upfront, moving into the yeast finish. The spice is more saison-y that wit-y or Grand Cru-y, it's almost medicinal. The yeast lends a nice balance to it, but it's unimpressive overall.

This is a combination between an exceptional, smooth and easy-going Cru and a mediciny mistake. Not horrid, but nothing I would reccomend.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours clear gold with very little foam. Very little head retention or lacing. If this is supposed to be a Grand Cru Wit, which I think is the case, it's completely off.

Quite sweet on the nose, with citrus esters immediately evident. Sweet malt and some spices, along with a hint of alcohol are also there. The taste echoes this, but it's more subdued. The sweet malt is much more prevalent, and the nuances seem to disappear. Some hop bitterness to balance it out a bit near the end, and definite alcohol.

A pretty disappointing beer overall. I had high hopes for the "Celis" brew, but this was quite underwhelming.

Celis Grand Cru from Michigan Brewing Company