Palone - Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg)

PalonePalone

good

Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg) visit their website
Poland

Euro Dark Lager |  5.50% ABV

Said to be a diluted version of their Baltic Porter.

(Beer added by: wl0307 on 08-24-2005)
2.58/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let's get this out of the way right now: this is not Okocim Porter. Duh. I knew that it wasn't going to live up to one of the best porters on the planet. I was, however, hoping for something better. Something much better. Alas, this is not a particularly good beer.

It looks nice. Pours what appears to be black until you hold it up the light, and then it's a ruby-brown of sorts. The off-white head produces plenty of lacing. The appearance is the strong suit of the beer.

The aroma is really what turns me off to the beer. This shit smells soapy. Soapy as hell. I smell nothing else but detergent. Very uncool.

The flavor is a definite step up from the smell, but it's nothing special. Mildly malty with a metallic bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is far too thin for the style. Carbonation is where it should be, but the body is far too Paris Hilton when it should be -- at the very least -- Beyonce.

Overall, this is not something I plan on drinking again. Granted, it was a free bottle that I received due to an error, but that still doesn't make it a good beer. I'll stick with Okocim's exceptional porter, thank you very much.

BigJim5021, Feb 13, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured out of a 0.5 l bottle into a 0.5 l mass. Was a dark brown and had a high light colored toffee head, which faded within a minute leaving moderate lacing.
Smelled of sweet chocolate, caramel and an overall very malty aroma.
The taste is of soft and smooth malt. The roasty flavor was more evident as the beer warmed. I still would expect more roasted barley from a "fire brewed" beer.
It reminded me of a schwarze bier in its soft malty character, which made it very easy drinking. Overall, I was expecting more of a roasted flavor, which was rather subdued.

fosterific, Feb 14, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -24.9%

Okocim Palone

Beer served from a 1 pint, 0.9 fl bottle.

This Okocim poured a very dark red. The lace was an off white, with inconsistent lace that faded quickly. Has toasted tastes of burnt carmel and oak. The mouthfeel is average as is the taste that leaves no aftertaste. It is a decent brew. I am a big fan of Okocim's regular beer which WAY surpasses this brew.

Okocim Palone was found at Binny's in River Grove, IL

rmcnealy, Apr 20, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dark cola colour, nearly opaque but not quite. Big 2 inch head erupts, and then recedes quickly to a light wet lacing. Carbonation appears to be very light. Aroma is quite sweet and a little spicy. Molasses, brown sugar, pepper, roasted malt, milk chocolate. A little bit sweet-smelling for my liking.

Taste is quite similar, milk chocolate and brown sugary sweetness, mild roasted malt, plums. Messy, juicy and wet. Very little dryness in this one, and it comes off as being watery. Carbonation is low as well. Final verdict: Too watery, too sweet, too awkward and too unbalanced for my liking, but not so awful it's undrinkable. The flavour is there, it's just not executed that well.

trevorwideman, Sep 06, 2007

bonbini26, Jan 12, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

The Palone pours dark brownish black with a finger foam head that jets quickly. I didn't get much in the aroma category. Some roasted malts and molasses.

It tastes sugary and sweet. There is a faint hoppy or bitterness in the finish of the drink. In the mouth is pretty thin. This to me could almost be a session beer, dark style.

cswhitehorse, Feb 09, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle. It pours well with a creamy head. Nice dark amber color. Smells like caramel malt. Not too aromatic but enough to peak my interest. Tastes a little weak but with the same sweet caramel malt as the smell. I expected more of a roastier flavor being that it is Fire-Brewed but it isn't bad. Drink well with soft aftertaste off of the tongue. I probably won't drink it again but it was an okay find.

justin7742, Oct 12, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Got this bottle (BB date 01/12/05) from my Polish friend brought straight from Poland. Accroding to him, Palone means "burned". And this beer from outside the bottle does bear a dark appearance and might be a dark-lager? Let's see...

A: it pours a dark brown to mahogany colour, with a thick, fluffy yet foamy-looking off-white beer head. Reasonable retention.
S: a profound aroma of slightly sweetish roasted malts and lightly-charred wood, against a quite lightly-burned sugary note and an aromatic but understated Czech hop aroma.
T: the taste is quite brown-sugary and light-caramel at first; a very smooth and light texture of dark malts and light, sweet dark-fruit juice (like black-plum juice) follows through. The finish has just a little tinge of bitterness, with more malts and brown sugary mouthfeel at the back along with a faint trace of char--qutie simple profile really, for this dark beer...
M: overall the mouthfeel is very soft and overly smooth, and this is an easy-drinking and light-bodied dark lager at the expense of depth and a balanced structure--somehow going down like sugary water...
D: while remaining an easy-drinking dark lager, it lacks enough flavour and body to make it really enjoyable, hence the below-average drinkability.

wl0307, Aug 24, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

I poured this 1 pint .9 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass. No freshness date, but A.D. 1845 is printed on the bottom of the label, which I guess is cool. I do like the fiery dragon on the label.

A: clear, dark mahogany color, an aggressive pour produced a massive head, which I had room for thanks to my new 19 oz. Polish pilsner glass from IKEA! The cap is persistent and the lacing is tenacious. From this point on I will be disappointed by this beer...

S: sweet, raisin bread-like malt aroma, molasses, a bit of caramelly/vanillesque aroma is in there as well, and no discernible Euro-funk.

T: the dried-fruit sweetness hits up front, the vanilla is stronger than the caramel in the middle, and the finish has a bit of coffee, just a touch of smokiness, and a rumor of earthy hops. Even for a Euro lager, I find the taste to be a bit one-dimensional and cloyingly sweet.

M: light-bodied, watery to lightly silky texture, moderate carbonation. A bit more carbonation might have improved this beer, or maybe a hop leaf or two.

D: I have had other Polish beers that have impressed me. This beer is a resounding "meh."

Erish, Feb 22, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Kopfschuss, Aug 19, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

Okocim Porter is just about my favorite beer ever, and I hope this one measures up.

A - The bottle is cool, and looks a bit like a Unibrou design with the artful phoenix made of flames. When I popped the top, some foam started roiling out of the mouth of the bottle, and upon pouring a monstrously dense khaki head rises to a little over two fingers and begins to compact itself down to a solid cap. Retention is nice, and some big ole arcs of tan lace coat my snifter. Swirling serves to build the head back up to a finger of dense cream. The brew itself is black, but shows a tiny hint of crimson when held directly to the light.

S - Roasted almonds, marshmallows, creamy milk chocolate, and syrup soaked pancakes. Rootbeer and licorice are there too, along with cola and sassafras.

T - This is super sweet...much sweeter than the nose suggests. This tastes like old-fashioned sarsaparilla or sassafras rootbeer. There are tons of herbal Riiicolaaa! lozenge flavors along with some sweet rootbeer candy notes. This is a major letdown from the wonderful nose, but it doesn't taste bad...it just tastes candy-artificial and way too sweet.

M - On the beefier side of light bodied, this has some silky carbonation and some oily residue is left coating my palate. the finish is sweet and slick, with a gradually building roasty aftertaste.

D - I'm totally disappointed. This is listed on this site as a Baltic Porter, but I totally disagree with that classification. I feel that this is more of a roasted Euro Dark Lager or something og that sort. It has more in common with a Munich Dunkel than it does with a baltic porter. Where is the big heavy body, the high ABV, the chocolate and roasted grains? This isn't terrible, but it's far from good.

pmcadamis, May 01, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

Similar to Latvian Aldaris Uguns, also related to Carlsberg.

Deep red color, low carbonation, great cappuccino head.

Aroma: roasted/smoked malts, very natural.

Start fresh and clean, general taste very malty and a bit smoky. Generous amount of candy sugar present. Finish a bit tart, aftertaste long, malty, sweetish. Mouthfeel a bit sticky but very pleasant.

An interesting brew. Clearly an effort to design a Rauchbier for the masses. As already mentioned, much better than regular Okocim lager. Worth a try.

ernie, Jun 20, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I was excited to try this as I loved the Zywiec Porter. It poured a brownish black color with a one finger tan head. Smell was intensely sweet, alcohol soaked fruit, and honey. Flavor was much of the same with a smoky overtone to everything and big sweetness, predominantly honey. I wasn't too fond of the combination of smokiness with fruit. This is a unique brew therefore I couldn't give it a bad rating, but I couldn't drink too many of these.

lehows, Nov 30, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Drawn to this one by the label, an affinity for the porter, and the $1.99 price tag.

Appearance: Garnet tinted brown in color, good head, decent retention, no lacing.

Smell: Clearly a lager - light, malty aroma.

Taste: Bockish, slight toast and smoke. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, carbonation a little light.

Drinkability: I drank it slow, but it was decent.

hunteraw, Jun 05, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a very deep amber, almost black, with a off white head. Aromas of a sweet caramel malt. In the taste, a sweet malty taste, yet very lager like. A smooth, sweet mouthfeel and a dry end, with a dry, sticky aftertaste. Nice caramel sweetness, but very lager like, interesting and good.

OWSLEY069, Sep 24, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a beer mug, a deep reddish brown clour with a quickly dissipating head. Tastes of caramel and toffee all the way. A strong malt presence can be felt in the first sip - sweet with burnt sugar, almost too much for a Euro Dark Lager. Mouthfeel is thin and pretty above average on the sting. I would pass this as average on drinkability because of its sweetness.

BeerSingh, Sep 30, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -8%

500ml can straight from my friend from Poland.
It pours a dark brown with a very light brown, almost white head. The foam subsides slowly down the glass. I enjoyed the look and was looking forward to the taste.
Smells of roasted malts. Reminded me of a local brew, when I traveled to Saxony. The alcohol was present but not overpowering. It definitely smells of a typical european dark lager.
Initially I got hit with a metallic taste that didn't bode well for my rating. It tastes of roasted malts and is hopped sparingly. I found this to be nothing special but the roasted malts that lingered helped with the sweet after taste.
I found it to be pleasant on the palate but nothing fantastic. It is slightly above average for the style.
It's a pretty drinkable beer and if I find it on-tap I will give it another go. I won't ask my friend to bring this one back from Poland again.

poluti, Jul 12, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Bomber poured into a tulip yields a clear, deep cranberry-brown body with 2+ fingers of creamy, light beige head that retains at a solid sheet and leaves lots of soapy lacing.

Darkly sweet smell with molasses, licorice, and salt water taffy.

Taste is smoky and sweet, with a lightly tart, juicy finish. No trace of any sort of bitterness, but there is a lurking note of lightly-roasted coffee and a hint of wood smoke lingering in the finish.

A bit watery; not what I was expecting from a Baltic porter, but softly carbonated and very drinkable.

cvstrickland, May 15, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - This one looks the part. It is a simple dark brown in color with a modest off-white head.

Smell - The mild, darkish malts seem a bit smoked to me, which is strange. Is this a smoked version of an EDL? It's like a lightly-smoked bock almost.

Taste - This is a bockish lager with a mild but definite smoke flavor.

Mouthfeel - This is light in the ass with no real body to speak of.

Drinkability - If you like a smoke flavor in your beer but can't handle the German Rauchbiers then this may be just the one for you.

Update - I thought I'd update by 2006 review with a 2008 sample. It is greater than the sum of its parts. My ratings are all 3.5 with one 3.0 but I will buy this whenever I see it in the store. It's nothing stellar but strangely sessionable.

RoyalT, Jun 01, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

(Served in a Pilsner glass)

A- This beer pours a dark brown crystal clear body that is a bit dense with a creamy tan head supported by a good carbonation of big bubbles

S- The aroma is pretty clean with notes of brown malt and bread crust coming though as the beer warms.

T- The light flavor of dry slightly sulfury raw grains are mixed with a soft toasted brown malt note. There is a soft brown nougat flavor that finishes with a dry crisp green note at the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a crisp fizz in the finish.

D- The clean and toasted flavors are nice but they are hidden in the background. This makes me drink even faster to try and get more of that taste that is eluding my tongue.

rhoadsrage, Aug 03, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

The body is dark brown to black with a fluffed up tan head that is two fingers thick and fades slowly. Aroma is smokey with notes of muted chocolate, raisin, cotton and loam. Fore is sweet raisin accented and lightly smokey. A smoked Dunkel then. Works for me and I don’t like smoked beers. The overarching flavor profile is sweet malts and raisins...the smoke is on the outskirts.

I love the whole FIRE BREWED marketing. A nice contrast to the Ice Brewed craze of the 90’s in the US and Canada.

Jredner, Dec 18, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

I wonder if this is something fairly new as I don't remember drinking it in Poland when I was there and I consumed a lot of Okocim while in country. I like the firebird on the label but I don't have a real good feeling for this one.

The color is a tawny medium brown and the head and lace put on a nice show and have some staying power. The nose is a bit problematic, with herbal and sweet notes infiltrated with a definite soapy tone. Not so good.

The taste grows on me as I drink it although there still is that soap tint to everything. Muted dark malt touched with bitter chocolate and coffee form the base but everything is fairly mellow. The savior is the mouthfeel which is low on carbonation and silky smooth. Despite the soap issues, this is easy and pleasurable to drink and somewhat unique.

To me this is more of a schwarzbier than a BP due to abv, thickness, and strength of flavor. As the latter, this would be among my favorites, but as a Baltic Porter, it lacks both punch and character.

daliandragon, May 03, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Smell reminds me of an herbal root tea. Very earthy. Taste has that too, but gets covered by the roasted malt flavors. A rubyish dark red porter, highly carbonated, thicker syrupy mouthfeel. Finishes pretty well with that same herbal root tea taste. A very unique beer, would like to see the brewing process on this one.

BeaBeerWife, Feb 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Found at Eagle Provisions, NYC. Very decent for its style, it has a decent dark appearance and malty aroma. Quite drinkable, nicely malted not sweet, balanced with some moderate bitterness. A bit of smoke in taste and average mouthfeel, I taste caramel. .

Sammy, Feb 25, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

In the glass this is a clear deep brown colored lager with a small light brown head. Quite a dark lager this is as dark as Porter.

The smell is sweet with a pleasant chocolate and caramel scent to it. There is a trace of fruit scent here that I can only describe as cherry.

The taste begins sweet and quite full of patent malt flavor. Decent taste of chocolate and the grain char that gives this a slight coffee flavor. Hop bitterness is reasonably strong but this isn't a bitter beer.

The mouthfeel is OK.

Nice pleasant to drink beer here that I think could just as easy be classified as a schwartzbier. A little too sweet I think but still not a bad beer and one I would drink again.

Zorro, May 06, 2007
Palone from Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg)