Tecate Light - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Tecate LightTecate Light

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  3.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-26-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

I drank this from a can into a glass in Cabo San lucas.

It pours a light clear gold with a white head, not much head or lacing.

The aroma is light hops and a lot of skunk. The taste is basically the same. The mouthfeel is less than water, is that possible? Drinkable is ok but what's the point with the abv.

This is like Tecate but worst, can you imagine? (359 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -57.4%

Pours clear yellow with a super white head that has no retention, pours like a soda.

Seriously has no aroma, I can't smell a thing, when I poured it the head gave of some aroma but it was to fleeting for me to remember what it was

Can hardly taste a thing either, I can taste some malt so I know it's there, I can taste some bitterness and the alcohol bit it's still like nothing, its all so faint!

Mouthfeel is terrible, it's to watery and the crazy forced carbonation makes it worse for me.

Drinkability? No, the lack of anything makes this a totally undrinkable beer for me, no flavor, no anything.

Sigh I know people who swear by this beer and drink it all the time and I'm left wondering what's the point? (715 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -51.2%

Went on a little family vacation to mexico and the mini fridge was stocked with these. Not normlly a fan of light beer on general but a ticker is gonna tick. Poured from the can to a glass...look was pale yellow with a big fizzy lager head and some visible carb, loos like a light beer and not all that appetizing but dont judge a book by its cover, right? Nose is corn and grain. Flavor is pretty much absent, but what is there is grainy and fairlt meh. Mouth is light and fizzy. I would say that this is the kind of beer you can drink all day but honestly i am nit going to make it through the can. Call me a beer snob but this just isnt good. (645 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. glass bottle - color of transparent gold, with a no head to speak of - nose of oats, hay , grassy , and stale – light taste of not much, some skunk, oat, and grass- body is light, dry, and with medium carbonation – aftertaste is little to none (252 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

Tecate Light? Hmmm. Tecate isn't the worst beer, but isn't it light enough? Oh well, I gave this a try and drank the whole can, barely.
Light looking. Barely any color, pale yellow/gold. Soapy filmy head, none after about 10 seconds.
Smell is gross. Wet straw, bog, smelly socks. Some grass hints. Thankfully the aroma isn't strong.
Taste isn't either. The aroma stops short of making it to the mouth. Still, stale straw, socks, bad phenols. Some carbonation saves it from being, of all things, bland.
Not one of my favorites. (526 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24 fl oz can served into a conical Guinness pint glass in LA. Acquired at a Mexican market nearby. Expectations are as low as can possibly be - without venturing into budweiser chelada territory. Reviewed from notes (reviewed while beeradvocate was down for repairs).

A: Pours a one finger head of four second retention, awful thickness, and absolutely no cream. Colour is a dirty lemon with seeming overcarbonation. I'm not at all looking forward to this.

Sm: Water and straw. Stale barley. A mild strength, crappy aroma.

T: Straw, barley, and watery notes. A hint of clean malts. The third act features a straw note that has more fullness than the rest of the comparatively empty beer. This is the best part of the "flavour". It's incredibly simple, very watery, and pathetic - but I've had worse. Poorly built and horribly balanced.

Mf: Watery, smooth, and wet. Overcarbonated. Too thin. Very crap.

Dr: An awful beer I'd never have again. I suppose it might be less reprehensible on draught? There's little good to say about it. I guess the cover art on the can is alright. Wait, no - actually that sucks too. This is crap barley water that deserves no one's attention.

The best thing I can say is that I'd cook with this beer, or use it in a chicken marinade.

(1,279 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -36%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This is my family´s favorite beer so I get to taste it often. I once drank one with very nice flavour and smell, i think it was very fresh out of the factory, every other time its a very bad, tasteless beer. (208 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Pale yellow, some white head, no retention or lacing.
Aroma is essentially not there, and neither is any taste. It feels like a pilsner watered down quite heavily, and elaborating on anything is just making it up. Horrible, did not make the grade even in a beach at 86 degrees. (316 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -31.8%

I'am analyzing the most consumed beer in the north-eastern Mexico. The appearance is the typical yellow color, don't look bad but its very simply, there's no foam; the water have any smell ? well, this beer smell like water; the taste isn't bad, just a tiny malt essence; very fizzy mouthfeel, you feel like drinking mineral water, without body; in the drinkability, we have a very easy beer to drink with low alcohol. (418 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -31.8%

A classic mexican pilsner brewed by mexican macro giant Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma.

Color: Yellow pale with very low head retention and almost no lace formation. Not good looking after coming off the can

Aroma: Faded romas of dry malts and hops.

Taste: Semi-dry malts and some hops. Nothing much interesting. Average mexican macro lagger and with metallic bitter tastes.

Finish: Dry finish with bitter aftertaste with metallic notes. (442 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -25.2%

Can of 355 ml.
Colour is very light/pale yellow with atwo finger head with good retention.
Smell of malts and really old beer.
Taste can be described only as "indifferent", it would be the same if I was drinking water.
Mouthfeel is the same, so watery and with so light carbonation it makes you wonder why it's called a beer. (325 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours basically clear color, hardly a hint of yellow. Smells like tin foil. Tastes like seltzer water. Head is nonexistant as soon as the pour is finished. Okay so maybe there is the slightest hint of malt in the taste. I can't guarantee that though. (250 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a crystal clear, very light yellow color with a neon white foam that fades to a collar quickly. Some lacing is evident.

Smell is lightly malted and a bit sweet...not unpleasant at all. Not a whole lot going on, but it does not smell bad.

Taste is very similar to a less-than-fully carbonated Perrier sparkling water. A few hints of cardboard with a dab of sweet honeydew melon...mmmm, doesnt that sound good? Well, its not. Pretty damn watery with very little appeal. Might work as a beach beer, but I would drink a regular Tecate before this. (551 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -16.1%

what do we expect? this is commercial mexican lager done light. wish i hadn't poured it, actually; tastes better from the can. head dissipated faster than anything i can recall leaving a few bubbles rising from the bottom of a very pale yellow-gold colored beer. smells of musty corn and damp grains. taste? minimal. watery, mildly macrolager tasting. less carbonation when poured than when consumed out of the can. seriously - don't pour this beer into a glass. it is exactly what it is when consumed with lime out of the can: a quaffing light beer made to refresh, consume in quantity and instantly forget. works on a warm, sunny day when the 18 pack is on sale. (664 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Really I don´t like light lagers very much; So I cannot say much about this one.

Pours a poor yellow color without head and no lace, Smell is malty but weak, Flavor is watery, Easy to drink. Refreshing.

I think is better try this beer in bottle, If you want you can add limes. (283 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -14.9%

This has to be one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

A- it pours with almost no head and reduces to a tiny white ring around the inside of the glass

S- the initial reaction i had upon my first sniff was that of a litter box. It smells terrible and I was so overwhelmed by the unpleasant odor I could not find any distinctive smells.

T- The taste is not spectacular by any means, it has a crisp, rather flavorless start with a wheaty, and also rather crisp finish. The lack of flavor is a good thing in this case, however what little flavor it does have, is awful.

M -The mouthfeel of this beer is the one aspect that is near-tolerable. It's crisp, watery, and it almost reminds me of pelligrino. In most beers this would be a bad thing, but considering the other traits of this beer it is a blessing.

O- overall I think this beer is very poor. It's meant to be drank ice cold in large quantities, and for that type of beer there are much better alternatives. (970 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

The light brother of the original Tecate beer. A brand born in a brewery in Baja California, that was bought a long time ago by the macro Cuauhtémoc-Moctezuma.
These two beers are also available in bottles.
Clear yellow; light malty smell; you can find some bitterness; some hops as an aftertaste and very drinkable in any tropical weather. (343 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Tecate is an overrated beer in mind, bitter and bland in my opinion, and far inferior to something like Modelo, if we're talking mainstream Mexican beer. However, Tecate is a lighter beer in general, which immediately made me skeptical as to how light their Tecate Light had to beer. It had to be like water in comparison.

Today I can say that I find Tecate Light more appealing than regular Tecate...but that's not saying much. Tecate is a mediocre beer with less than average qualities and Tecate Light, by comparison, is still a relatively lesser light lager than the domestic offerings like Miller Lite.

Appearance - Bright, sunshine yellow with a pure-white, foamy head. Remarkably unremarkable.

Smell - Water with faint hits of rice and grain. Uninviting and bland.

Taste - Follows the nose in the water department, clearly proving to be largely made up of water and mild rice and grains. Inoffensive but so much so that the beer lacks a discernible identiy.

Mouthfeel - Heavily, unattractively carbonated and watery.

Tecate Light is one of the most forgettable beers I've had in recent memory, but not because it's bad, but because it's indifferent and thoroughly unimpressive. (1,190 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -9.5%

I'm writing you now from the beautiful city of Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco, Mexico. I've had Tecate in the states, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying Tecate Light yet.

A - Yellow, clear, and foamy. The head is pushing three fingers, and sticks around for a good amount of time considering the style.

S - Corny, like crappy tortillas.

T - A bit like watered down canned-corn juice....which is watered down corn anyway. Not offensive at all, but just plain boring.

M- Watery, but downright thick compared to some American macros.

D - Honestly, I'm on my honeymoon, so I'm inclined to be much more happy with this beer than I would be back home in Springpatch. But, it's a serviceable brew for beach-quaffing, and it's doing the job (despite the very low alcohol content :(....). Not a bad beach brew by any means, but it's not something to seek out in the states. (872 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -8.7%

A delicious tick picked up from Clete's Liquor and shared with t0rin0.

A: The pour is one of the lightest yellows I've come across with a soapy white head.

S: The percentage of corn and rice in this beer must be astounding, lightly sweet, but overall just very, very light and watery. A hint of bleach just to add something interesting.

T: Mostly rice with a bit of corn and grain sweetness. A mild bitterness from grain husks to "balance" out the sweet apple juice flavor.

M: The body is incredibly light and watery with a high level of fizz.

D: As awful as I made this beer sound, it's actually much better than the regular Tecate. (638 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I never have had Tecate Light before, so I picked up a 24 oz can at the gas station.

The appearance isn't great. It has a faint golden color. The head is respectable for a light beer. It smells like cereal and alcohol. I cannot smell hops at all. It has almost no taste at all. But it does leave a veggie taste in my mouth if I take a big swig. It feeels like water in the mouth. Just as most light lagers are, it is very easy to drink.

This beer is not unique at all. It's just another watery light beer. However, it has a low alcohol content compared to most light lagers. I can't see any reason to buy this beer. There are plenty of other light lagers that go down just as easy and have a greater alcohol content. (719 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -4.1%

Tecate Light I believe is only found in Mexico. I had this when down in Puerto Vallarta with some friends. I had this in hot weather so in that case it hit the spot, very cold and crisp. It poured a light yellow with no head to speak of, minimul to no lacing. Smell is of light citrus and waterdowned hops. The taste has a minimul blast of hops and alot duller than regular version. Feels flat but crisp in mouth. Drinkable in the sultry sun of Mexico but on any given day this is not the beer for me. (501 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass, yellow similar to the color of your urine when you get dehydrated with a loose white head that immediately vanishes leaving no lacing, clear

S: sweet grain, not very pleasing

T: not much, slight sweetness, corn, no hops

M: thin and watery

O: I bought this to put salt and lime in as it is unfit for consumption without. (369 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Drunk from a 355 mL can (stamped "06 2015") while at Hyatt Ziva in Puerto Vallarta. Bland and watery, mildly grainy, slightly sweet (corn) and yeasty; light bodied and reasonably carbonated. Mostly inoffensive if completely forgettable. Quenching after a day at the beach, as much as a cold mineral water. (305 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -0.4%

Natty Light and High Life Light are gone here in the College Light Invitational, and tonight we try out Tecate Light. It's more expensive than the other beers in this invite, but it's also one of the cheapest imports around. 110 calories per 12 ounce serving and just 3.7 ABV, so this one also has the lowest ABV in the invite. As this is part of the College Light Invite, the 7 ounce shot still applies. POP! goes the can, so on to the beer:

Pale straw yellow in color, topped by a big fizzy head in my stange glass. Pretty clean corn aroma in the nose, and sweet. The first sip brings a light bodied beer, low amounts of corn husks. Thin malts and a touch of rice creep around. As it is in Tecate, this watered down version shows vague bitterness. Nothing offensive about the flavor, just bland. Geez, regular Tecate was bland too, but at least this one has an excuse. A good drinker in the short term, but my interest in this beer wore down over time.

It's 7 ounce shot time! No bad flavors in this one, so this should be easy...okay, not as easy as I thought, the corn flavors took a little work to get down, but I didn't gag, right?
"Chuggability" gets a 3.5 rating (not to be confused with drinkability).

Tecate Light delivers a surprising product (for what it is) in a lackluster category. Better than the Big 3 domestic light brews, and lower in alcohol for good measure for those looking to drive after a couple of these. It's the number one light beer in Mexico, so I'm quite surprised it wasn't until recently they decided to put this in the U.S. market. That stated, I could only see myself getting this beer for those times I'm looking to drink lots of beer, but don't want the buzz effect.

With three beers down and one to go here in the College Light Invitational, Keystone Light steps up tomorrow night. (1,825 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Tecate Light from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.