Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +39.4%

I read some of the reviews and wonder why people bothered to review this beer when they only had one (Jay the Finn) and it had lime in it (Judge Roughneck). I enjoy lime occasionally, but to review a beer after only one and when lime was in it is pretty lame.

Bottom line - this is THE BEST MEXICAN BEER. PERIOD. I like Modelo, Victoria, Carta Blanca, Indio, and Leon, and even Dos Equis at times, but Bohemia is in a class by itself. I don't even know how to describe it, but I'll try. It smells better, it looks better, it feels better, it tastes better. It isn't overpowering, but it is definitely not weak. It has a very distinctive, unique taste. It is easy to drink and EVERY time I have it, I think to myself, I should never have any other beer - at least when in Mexico.

Bohemia is not real easy to find, but is totally worth it if you can. They also have a dark beer (Obscura) and a Wheat beer made with coriander and orange peel. I think it is the first (if not the only) wheat beer produced in Mexico. THEY ARE ALL EXCELLENT BEERS!

On the down side, it is ESSENTIAL to get these when they are fresh. Fresh Bohemia is gratifying and delicious. Stale Bohemia is not good. It isn't horrible, but it seriously drops to average or below average.

Unfortunately, Bohemia is not advertised like the other Mexican beers and as a result, is easy to miss.

UPDATE: Mexico is now getting more serious about craft beers so I may have to retract my "best Mexican beer, period" statement. But, it is still the best mass produced Mexican beer. (1,544 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +38.5%

My absolute favorite Mexican beer! The pour is a nice medium gold color that leaves great lace on the glass. The smell has slight citrus notes with a crisp malt scent that is very inviting. Flavor is out of the park with a nice mild hop bite in the front followed by a excelent subtle malt sweetness mixed with perfect carbonation levels in the finish. Perfect pairing with any spicy food or if you need a refreshing beverage on a warm day, look no further! (457 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into mug.

Three and a half finger off white head. Medium-high carbonation.

Pale in color

Smells: hop, corn, cereal, cooked veggies

Taste: barley, citrus, lemon, with a hop bite at the end!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing!

Overall, I didn't know I would be drinking a pils, but if I had to reach for one at a Mexican restaurant. I would choose this one. (374 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +34.8%

My new favorite Mexican beer aside from Negra Modelo. Pours a cloudy straw gold color. Hops are abundant in the nose. Taste is like that of a German pilsener. Hop bitterness shows its head towards the back of the throat. The beer leaves excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. This beer is also fairly carbonated, and there is a steady stream of bubbles issuing from the bottom of the glass. This and Negra Modelo are my two favorite Mexican beers. (452 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is probally one of the most fine beers of all of mexico. when you go to mexico, locals dont drink corona ..etc .. they drink bohemia and indio .. these are from the finest brewery in mexico. Ive had the opportunity to tour the facility and it is exceptional and i urge you to try this beer !! (302 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +31.9%

This is by far the most excellent Mexican lager made. This beer pairs wonderfully with any meaty food, a huge flavor enhancer. Very easy to drink, as others have said, it goes down very smoothly. Bohemia seems to have a lot more flavor and body than other pilsners I've tried. (276 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am by no means and expert but I have been telling and serving people this beer for years. I first came across it in Mc Allen TX and then in Juarez. MX and I was hooked when the served it the 2nd time. I could not believe that a border beer could be this good. So forget all the floral and spicy stuff just sit back sip and enjoy. (331 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +29.9%

Very quaffable beverage. Nice initial crisp flavor with an a nice subtle bite. Hint of honey, and the toasted grains are present, with an almost "invisible" floral aftertaste. Lightly carbonated, and when poured doesn't get too much head. The smell is grainy and malty, but after letting the beer breathe, more scents come through, slightly citrusy. One of the better beers Mexico has to offer. (394 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +29.9%

When I look around and see mindless beer drinkers enjoying their Coronas and Modelos, I sigh and hope that they discover a good Mexican beer like Bohemia. My top five Mex Beers would list as Bohemia, Indio, Victoria and lastly Dos Equis. Bohemia is by far a great tasting beer and now recently not hard to find. (311 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a straw yellow hue with ample carbonation and a pencil thin soft white head. The smell is crisp and grassy with mild hop presence and a moderate malt backbone. The taste is ver refreshing and quite crisp, with a slight pleasent grassyness and faint hop bitterness. Overall, Im loving this beer. (300 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Had this at the Tia Juana Restaurant in Fremont, California. Best Mexican food in the San Francisco's East Bay. In you're in the Irvington district -- check this place out. It's great. Right across the street from the Safeway.

Lovely golden yellow color. A little richer in appearance than your typical lager. Good, clean smell. I don't particularly care for bubble water beers like Corona -- so the hoppy bite to this brew was terrific. Very clean on the palate. Could drink this all night.

Had this right after a Dos Equis Special Amber and a Modelo Dark Ale -- and this beer blew the XX away -- and was definitely better than the Modelo. Try this beer out. You'll be very impressed. (692 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

beer Mexican, that widely remembers the birthplace of the brewmaster who create it, very Czechoslovakian in its flavor, a pleasing aroma and flavor to Czech lupulos, with ambar dark a bottle, in presentation of 12 ounces, with its pico de oro (gold tip), done by cerveceria cuauhtemoc of mexico, excellent in its presentation is one of the most expensive by bottle domestic beers in my country (393 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +27.9%

I really dig this beer. Really has something special going on in it, great beer that is quite easy to find. I think this beer, even though it is not an am adj. lager, I could easily turn a Budweiser drinker on to this stuff.

A- excellent golden color with a nice light, thin head that leaves thin yet solid lacing.

S- Smells very clean, hints of corn and grassy-ish

T- very smooth, corn/light hoppiness

M- thin and smooth, some what slippery

D- very drinkable- this could be a great session beer (503 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +27%

Poured a nice clear gold/straw color. You could see the carbonation bubbles rising. Half inch thick white head. Not much lacing.

Clean floral/citrus aroma with a touch of honey.

Flavor paralleled the aroma. Sweet malty flavor of light honey with a light hop bitterness of grapefruit.

Medium bodied but thin mouthfeel. I believe the carbonation makes it feel lighter in the aftertaste than it feels when it hits your toungue. Not much taste lingering on the palate unfortunately.

An excellent beer. Could pound it all day. Good balance and the fact this beer isn't heavy make this a good choice. This is and Negra Modelo are my favorite Mexican beers. Unless I go to Guadalajara where everybody drinks Estrella - then I gotta say what everybody says "Aqui Estrella es la cerveza que rifa!" (792 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is pretty light for a darfker tasting beer. I loved the smell, the taste, everrything about this beer except for the colr. The color isn't as full as it could be. However, I still think this is a great tasting beer that is pleasing to the nose after a sip. I would recommend it to anyone. If you're ever at a mexican restaurant ask your waiter to get you one of these. (378 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours out a polished brass with little head that doesn't have very good retention. Smells of bready, crackery malts with a hint of graininess. Sweetish honey aroma. Lots of floral hops in the nose. Malt is rather light and unobtrusive in the flavor, but makes way for a bright fruitiness and loads of jasmine. Tastes almost like a mix of a helles lager and some iced jasmine tea. Just a touch of bitterness in the finish (slightly more than, say, a Coors Banquet). Mouthfeel is light and effervescent. Excellent drinkability. Refreshing and full of my favorite kind of hop presence: a floral one. Best Mexican beer I've ever had, for sure. Does not need a lime. (661 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +25.6%

A: Yellow crystal with a very thin foamy head with extended duration, acceptable lacing and also several bubbles;

S: Sweetness of malt and herbal notes;

T: Sweet malt and vanilla, balanced with citrus hops;

M: Refreshing, sweet bitterness, well carbonated;

D: The best mexican pilsener and accompanies very well every meal. (327 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +25%

This pours an honest clear gold lager. It looks like it should come from Checkoslovakia.

Smell is sweetness, grain and a spicy hop smell. The hops are unmistakably citrus in scent.

Taste is excellent clean grain with a spicy citrus hop flavor. This is one tasty lager! Excellent melding of the citrus hops with the rest of the brew.

Mouthfeel is good.

Super drinkable brew, sad that I avoided tasting this for a long time just because it is a Mexican beer. (468 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

By far my favorite Mexican beer. A good hop bitterness, smell and taste that you enjoy through the entire drink. It has nice malt character and is very easy to drink. Not much head on this beer and what is there disappears very quickly. If you want to barbeque or hang out by the pool this is a great choice. Do not put fruit on this beer! I have to be very adamant about it everytime I order it at a Mexican restaurant. Servers think if it's made in Mexico it gets a lime. If we rated by the price this beer would deserve an A+. Not very expensive. (549 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%

This is one of those beers that give off a bad first impression, but then, the magic shines. Smell is a balanced hoppiness with some bready malts. We can also add some vanilla and fruitiness when it comes to taste. Mouthfeel is very crisp, and it is a very sessionable beer. One of my favourite Mexican beers (308 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer is unlike any other, for one. It has a vanilla/pilsner feel to it. I think I could actually sip on this beer all day and not get sick of it. Slightly pale and a very pleasing aroma. Maintains flavor throughout the bottle. Definetley one to remember (258 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a proper representation of the style. A truely great drinking experience. Another good beer from this brewery makes them, in my opinion, the best brewery in Mexico. Grupo Modelo/Corona is a distant second with their meager offerings compared to a brewery that produces Noche Buena and the Bohemia series. (312 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Nice pouring, nice looking brew. I had this for the first time the other night at a mexican restaurant. I tasted this lager both with and without lime. Without the lime I thought it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite mexican beer, but it's a pretty darn close #2.

When I had it with the lime, I thought it was still a good beer--however, it really changed the flavor of it. I don't want to say it took away from the beer, but it really did change the taste. Still good with the lime, but I do think it's even better without.

I think the taste was very clean and crisp, the mouthfeel was very nice. It was a little softer than a lot of lagers, but very nice. I rate this pretty high on drinkability. (My standard of drinkability is rating it by how well I think I could drink a brew all night). I could drink this one all night. (882 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%

A great German Style Beer that goes amazingly well with Mexican Food especially with a bit of spice in it. It is not too strong nor too light, just perfect and has a nice smooth hoppy flavour and satifies well. I also love the appereance with its dark brown bottle and golden wrapper. A favourite of mine. (305 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

This is one of a kind in the fact it stands out among mexican beers as more European type beer (Most commonly considered a Vienna style) but still retains a dominant focus on mexican beer culture: It copes with the heat.

Translucent gold with a thin layer of foam on the top of your glass in the same fashion some of the European lagers this beer can be associated with, the smell and taste are gentle and perhaps faint for some tastes yet the the sensation is what stads out: It is quite soft as it goes down and it is quite refreshing served cold on an iced pint on a very hot day, and it pretty much goes with any spicy food or meat dish. (642 characters)

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.