Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros

Pours a clear golden color, Smell is nice and very sweet aroma, Taste Is mostly sweet malt, Mouthfeel is good, good amount of carbonation present, Very drinkable.

According to producers of Bohemia, (Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.) this is a bohemian-style Pilsner.

Probably one of the best beers from Mexico; I invite people to try Bohemia.

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Bohemia pours a nice gold color with a average head.

It has nice smells of earthy scents.

The taste starts with the feel of malt followed by a nice taste of hops, making a nice full taste.

It has an average amount of carbonation, with a nice healthy feeling body.

Overall, Bohemia was a surprise for me. I ordered it randomly at a Mexican restaurant, thinking it would be the usual Mexican beer, but for me it is probably the best beer I have had coming from south of the border.

3.4/5  rDev -1.2%

I had this beer at a Mexican restaurant. It really went well with my spicy beef burrito. It poured out with very little head, but plenty of carbonation. It wasn't overly hoppy, but there was something about it that worked perfectly with spicy food. It also wasn't too heavy, which made it good for a dinner beer. Not a bad session beer, but not something i would go out of the way for either.

3.61/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pale golden yellow, 1 cm head dissipates before I'm done pouring.

S: Trying hard to pick something up here, citrus hops maybe, faint malts in the background?

T: Surprised by the taste since I couldn't get anything from the nose. More complex than expected. Dull malts up front a little bit of hops and a slightly bitter finish.

M: High carbonation, good finish.

D: Very nice lighter beer, could drink this for days.

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz cold bottle at a local Mexican joint

Lets skip the intracacies and keep this review plain and simple, since that's what this beer is all about...

Overall - Super clean, lightly sweet, bready malt: light grassy/floral hops: Crisp, effervescent carbonation, light body, smooth. Just a super refreshing, subtle, clean lager. Nothing fancy, but no off notes here to speak of; highly drinkable.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: golden, clear, sturdy 2 finger head head with great staying power and lacing
Smell: great blast of malt with spicy hops, strongest part of beer
Taste/Mouthfeel: this is where it stumbled a bit, the taste was a faint version of the smell, thus a bit disappointing, mouthfeel was a trace "watery" not full and foamy
Drinkability: all around a fine pilsner, actually very close to greatness had it tasted like it smelled!

2.56/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good beer overall I tried one in a Mexican restaurant. It goes well with those dishes and has a pretty good taste. I'm more into heavy or darker beer soo this one was just ok. I would try it again if I had the chance depending on the atmosphere I'm in

4.02/5  rDev +16.9%

Pour: A pale clear yellow with no head a bit of lacing
Smell: Very mild, a bit sweet with slight citrus undertone
Taste: Very smooth, crisp and refreshing. A citrus undertone and finishes with a slight bitterness from the hops and a peppery spice.
My favorite Mexican beer. Pleasantly surprised and I recommend for a hot day or with a nice spicy meal.

3.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pale golden color with virtually no head.

S- Sweet malts, maybe some white grapes.

T- Very sweet. Sugar, some white grapes, sweet malts, syrup, green apples and some grainy bitterness at the end.

M- Flat, thick, syrupy.

D- I can drink a decent amount, but the high sugar content might limit this to a six pack.

Pleasantly surprised with this. Up until tonight, I thought Negra Modelo was the best Mexican macro beer. I found a better one.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Been on a lighter beer kick lately...had this one with some home made shredded beef tacos.

This beer pours a bright, clear yellow into a pint glass. There is a thin white head and a bit of lacing.

The smell is somewhat floral from hops, accompanied by some malt overtones. Better than I expected.

Taste is citrusy, malty, not overwhelming. It is actually quite good, and goes well with the spicy meal that I am having.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, crisp, and refreshing. The bitterness invites more sips and is not cloying.

This is a very drinkable beer. One of the better Mexican beers out there and one that I will purchase in the future.

2.52/5  rDev -26.7%

Rather watery, in appearance. Pale yellow of a macro. Ditto, the small, quickly dissapating head. Slightly fruity nose (grapes?), but other than that pretty much right down the middle of the road. There's an OK bitterness, but that's pretty much where this beer's unique offerings to Beerdom ends. Puny, weak mouthfeel. Generally bland, expected malt taste of cheap ajuncts. It seemed like there was a bit of an alcoholic kick behind it, but I see now the ABV is just 5.3%. Perhaps I noticed something just because it was relative to the beer's overall mediocrity. Grainy, dustry dry finish, which wasn't too bad. But I definitely won't seek this out again.

This was the first beer from a 12-beer sampler pack assembled by my (awesome) father in law as a birthday gift from the Blue Max (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1287/?view=beerfly). Many obscure, enticing porters and pub ales to explore. I'm glad this one is out of the way.

This is a good beer. I drank three of these watching Mexican League Soccer and eating at my local Mexican restaurant, El Toro in Springfield, OH. Fajitas are fantastic and the beer is cold, the football high level. Lot of emotion. This is a good European Lager made in Mexico. Thank Emporer Maximillian for this, he brought the Austrian and German brewers with him long ago. In the bottle there is gold top and silver top. The silver is a dark and tasty brew if you can find it. Good beer.

4.02/5  rDev +16.9%

I went to our favorite Mexican restaurants last night and I felt like a beer instead of the usual margarita, so I got one of these.

I was very suprised! I thought I was basically ordering one step up from a Corona. I was wrong. This is the real deal. The smell is wonderful and ranks right up there with hacker pschorr or a good tripel beer. It has sort of a sweet vanilla smell. Top quality ingredients for sure. Perfect for Mexican dishes, but I just bought a 12 pack for $14 and I can't think of a better beer for the price to drink with any type of food.

It is crisp on the pallet and the head is thin like most lagers.

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

A - pours a crystal clear golden color, with a 2cm head that quickly diffuses to nothing. looks refreshing.

S - sweet nose. hard to pick out distinct smells, but nothing offensive at all. there's some sweetness, corn, caramel, and other grains.

T&M - sweet corn, rice, and tortilla. really fine and even taste. mild hops make this quaffable. it's got an even moderate mouthfeel. crisp, smooth, refreshing.

D - this is a beer that i will return too often. my wife cooks a lot of el salvadorian food, and this will pair perfectly. it doesn't get disgusting at warmer temps (like most of it's Mexican peers), which is nice. It's a sold mexican brew, great for summer, or paired with hispanic cuisine. not quite as full flavored as i hoped, but goes down effortlessly.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

I have always seen this one on sale and thought it was just another beer until I took a deeper look.

Appearance - A solid gold color, maybe even some flecks of yellow here and there to spice it up

Smell - Hoppy with some light notes of grain.

Taste - Really nice taste, the hop smell translate well to the flavor. Not complex, but a solid simple flavor

Mouthfeel - Great carbonation that keeps the flavor satisfying

Overall - A nice beer, a bit light for my taste and maybe a bit on the simple side. This would be a beer with a good spicy meal though

3.92/5  rDev +14%

Nice, bright yellow color with good carbonation. Smells malty with mildly floral hops. The taste is among the best of Mexican beers I've had - a gentle integration of hops and malt, but far more interesting than a Modelo or Corona. As a German Pilsener, it does well for the style, with a thin and refreshing mouthfeel. Overall, this is a beer that complements food very nicely. Recommended!

Bohemia is a very drinkable, well balanced beer.

Pours a dark amber, with a moderate head. Has a great malty/spicey aroma.

I could taste the malt at the front end, and pleasent bitterness, and a nice crisp finish with a hint of hops. I would expect more bitterness from a Pilsner, but that is not a negative for me.

Overall an excellent beer for nice days outdoors.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Slight hop aroma, but nice hop flavor. Didn't quite expect it, but I'd say it is like a Sam Adams of Mexico. I didn't think they used hops for flavor in Mexico, but apparently they do. Nice citrusy flavor that would go great with any Mexican meal. It is very clear with a small head, but some lacing. Overall, a great beer for a warm day.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%

A - golden yellow color with very little head. Carbonation looks nice.

S - very earthy and sweet, almost fruity. Definitely lots of grain.

T - very sweet taste as well with that light fruitiness coming through. Powerful bready taste. A slight hop kick at the end to help with balance. The finish is slightly dry.

M - surprisingly smooth for as light as it is. Carbonation isn't quite as powerful as it looked upon initial pour.

D - this was a very enjoyable beer. It's drinkable yet complex enough to make you pay attention as you drink it. the faint sweetness tempts you to figure out what you are tasting. You can also just relax and put a few away because it's light and smooth. Another example of not judging a book by it's cover.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a pale gold appearance. Pours with a moderate head that quickly dissipates. Has a faint but agreeable hops aroma. Taste is actually very good, with malt character and a restrained hops presence. Good mouthfeel, with nice carbonation. I think this is a surprisingly good beer, and very drinkable. Also, some extra credit for a really attractive bottle. Distinctive squat brown with gold foil, and a warrior in full headress. One of my favorites.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Had this last night at El Norte's a very good Mexican eatery in Middletown NY. This was a good brew better than Corona and XX. Pours out yellow almost amber but not quite with a thick white head that thins out and leaves a very fine layer on the top. Smell was straight up hops and corn. Taste was pretty much the same as the smell except for a bit of a sweet taste thrown in. Very drinkable as I had 4 while eating my chicken enchilladas, of all the beers from Mexico I've tried this IMO is one of the better ones.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%

(Bottle poured into pint glass) A rather drinkable beer, a little more body than the old standby Corona. Color was amber to golden, but the taste was a tad watered down from what I was expecting given the color. A suitable choice, great compliment to my spicy dinner. Not sure why some servers think there is a need to add lime to ALL Mexican beers though!

2.65/5  rDev -23%

A - Pours a bright unclouded golden yellow with a fizzy white head that left no lacing.

S - Sweet smell of light malts, carmel and straw.

T - Not at all like, very mild flavors of straw, with a bitter and grainy aftertaste.

M - Light and fizzy.

D - Goes fine with most Mex food but not my first choice.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Lovely beer. Certainly not your typical insepid, skunky, flavorless Mexican brew. Bohemia is a crisp, fresh tasting pilsner. Yes, pilsner. Nice malt and bitter hop balance. A touch of sweetness and a terrific citrusy aftertaste. This has become one of my go to beers. Excellent with food or to quench that desire for a cold brew. If you can find it locally, try it. And please, no lime.

2.66/5  rDev -22.7%

Could almost see this as being akin to the status quo water glass at dinner. I.e. if you drink it fine, if not, no big deal; Could in fact even see having something else as the "primary" drink, with this being a secondary thing.

A lot of the beers I enjoy, I almost consider to be more of a food component to the meal vs. that of a beverage, if that makes sense, This is the other way around. Very unassuming, very neutral. Would go pretty well with just about anything and not get in the way. Could I see myself sitting down with one of these in my favorite glass and sipping? Do I see this as being a meal enhancement? No chance. But I could see drinking a bit of this with crabs, pizza, shrimp, chinese, a burger, after working in the yard, etc, etc. Probably defines the term session, although I can't imagine drinking any real number of these.

Pours a clear very pale straw color; Not much head to speak off. No lacing. Fairly bubbly. I may have picked-up on a touch of skunk in the nose as well as some grass. Not much in the way of body or mouth feel to it. Some have said it's not watery; I would tend to disagree and say that it's in fact very watery. Almost reminded me a little of my GrandDad's 'PBR' circa 75', although a tad weaker.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.