Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

At first this beer doesn't give a very good impression. Looks like a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly disappears. In other words, like a cheap macro lager.

Don't let the looks fool you though. Smells of lemons, hops and grain. The taste is a lot better. A lot of subtle flavors you can't easily put your finger on. Some hop tang, a touch of vanilla, some cracker malt, even a little lemon zest. All I know is this works and it is a quite tasty lager.

The mouthfeel seems right for a lager, not too heavy or thin. I can drink this all night long. My favorite Mexican beer.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Nice pouring, nice looking brew. I had this for the first time the other night at a mexican restaurant. I tasted this lager both with and without lime. Without the lime I thought it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite mexican beer, but it's a pretty darn close #2.

When I had it with the lime, I thought it was still a good beer--however, it really changed the flavor of it. I don't want to say it took away from the beer, but it really did change the taste. Still good with the lime, but I do think it's even better without.

I think the taste was very clean and crisp, the mouthfeel was very nice. It was a little softer than a lot of lagers, but very nice. I rate this pretty high on drinkability. (My standard of drinkability is rating it by how well I think I could drink a brew all night). I could drink this one all night.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 1/2" head tops a nicely colored pale yellow beer.

Smell - Hoppy and grain filled scent and some yeast in the background.

Taste - I was not expecting the taste i got. Balanced well with hops, barley and malt. The sweet aftertaste is not over done.

Mouthfeel - Clean and crisp. Another nice summer time beer.

Drinkability - I like it. It has a good flavor for the type of beer it is.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Golden, clear body, very white head, some lace. The carbonation is high as you can see a lot of bubbles rising. Smell is citric, some malt. Mouthfeel is a little creamy, the carbonation in combination with the citric taste bite a little, some grain flavor to end with some nice bitterness. There is some sweetness in there, but its a little hidden.

I liked this beer, much better than other common mexican lagers

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle poured into a stein at the Fandango restaurant in Old Town, San Diego.

A: Golden brew with carbonation rising up. No noticeable head however. Would have been nice.

S: Not much to relate here. Little bit of hops and malt.

T: Wow, this was a welcome surprise! Plenty of hops in the taste, well for a lager, and a nice sweet bready malt taste.

M: Nice, smooth, and balanced between hops and malt. Little thin though, as compared to Sam Adams Boston Lager.

D: Now this is a great brew to have at any Mexican restaurant or just at a nice summer barbecue. Would definitely recommend having a sixer on hand for just an occasion.

Conclusion: While I was at dinner in Old Town, I wanted to taste something new. I had never heard of this brew when I saw it on the menu, I had to see if it was any good -- most major Mexican brewers have disappointed. But this one blew my socks off. It was actually good and worth the price of admission. It was so good that even the wife like it and recommended I pick up some at a later date. Nice brew. Definitely recommended!

3.07/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a lot like the American macros - pale yellow and a very small head that disappears quickly. Smells a lot like those beers also.

However, the taste was definitely better than the appearance. Very light characteristics that you would expect from a beer that looks and smells like this one does. But there is just enough hops to provide some flavor and leave a little bitter aftertaste.

I don't particularly like this style of beer so I probably won't be buying it again, but I would definitely not have a problem drinking another one if it was available. Overall this would be an easy to drink beer for even the pickiest of beer advocates.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

A pretty good beer from Mexico. Definitely better than most beers widely available here in the states. You can trace its European ancestry with its use of hops and malted barley. However, neither is very prominent, as the beer is medium-light in taste and profile. It fits very well with Mexican food. Another thing of note is that if the beer is made with the use of adjuncts (corn or rice), it is done with a rather deft hand, as it does not taste like it. Again, the taste is of a pleasant light maltiness with subdued influences from the hops on the finish. Good food beer. I could put quite a few of these away.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Okay so I love Mexican food and I love beer. Unfortunately I can seldom find good beer at Mexican restaurant.

That being said, my waitress poured this into a mug way too gently, enabling no head to form. She then stated, "Couldn't ask for a better pour." I assume she was either mocking me or had no idea how to pour beer. The beer was a pale golden yellow.

The nose was was a little bland. I could only get a little scent of citrus and iron.

The taste also had a nice citrus note to it, plus some malts. Additionally, I was pretty impressed by the floral hoppiness of this beer. It's not bold, but it's there and enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side, but it was extremely drinkable. I could have comfortably chugged the whole thing.

As far as beer I can find at Mexican restaurants, I would definitely order this again. It went great with my meal and was very refreshing.

2.43/5  rDev -29.4%

Golden pour, pretty yellow actually; golden is kind of kind.
(I'm not a fan of golden beers. No real reason...biased against gold, yellow beers mainly because of its resemblance to something...else.)

No real "head" per se, just some carbonation bubbles that accumlated at the top VERY briefly.

I caught a faint scent of, seriously, pork chop. Yes, pork chop. (And no, no one was cooking.) But seemed to fade pretty fast.
There was a slight vanilla scent that remained, and that was nice.

Its bitterness kind of sticks for a while at the top, back of the mouth. There's a slight creaminess to the feel, which is nice, but does a lot to point up the lingering aftertaste. Not a good end result.

Between this and a diet Pepsi, I'd take the Pepsi. Between this and a Bud light, it's be a real tought call and I'd hem and haw a little, but I guess I'd settle for this.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

ok, take this with a grain of salt (not lime).

This is the best mexican beer out there. I always have a few in the fridge when we are eating mexican/spanish or hot food.
Call me crazy but I detect belgian yeast as well as heffenwiesen characteristics.
This is a good beer worth trying and drinking on hot days or pairing with the above mentioned food.

2.46/5  rDev -28.5%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat fingers head, heavy lacing, light straw in color, slightly cloudy.

S: Very small amount fruit aroma, sort of hard to place. some grain as well, almost smells generic.

T/M: Had light body, stong carbonation.

D: Taste didn't improve with warmth, would probably go great with mexican food.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There's no better Mexican beer out there. It's hard to find, but as far as refreshing pilsener-style brews go, this is an excellent example and worth trying. Goes best with spicy food and is sessionable but doesn't shy away from giving you a kick after downing a few.
Highlight here is mouthfeel - very crisp, above-average carbonation while retaining flavor throughout. Very pleasant and almost nothing I'd rather drink on a beach.

3.64/5  rDev +5.8%

It's been a while since being in Mexico, but I do remember that I liked Bohemia better than the other commercially available mexican lagers. Let's see if it just wasn't a "vacation fling"...

Poured into a pilsner glass. Decent head build, subsides fairly quickly. Very little lacing, but OK for a pilsner. Color is light but appealing. Smell is great - this I was not expecting. Good malt and floral notes. Taste is a bit thin and watery. Hops presence is decent, but I think fairly low IBUs. Has a slight soapiness which (annoyingly) lingers a bit on the palate. Nice clean finish. This kind of reminds me of the mass-pilsner market in Germany.

Conclusion: very nice beer for a macro. Beats the piss outta Corona or Tecate, that's for sure. I will order this at any Mexican restaurant or the next time I'm on vacation in the beautiful county of Mexico. Ole!

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

The best of the mass-produced Mexican beers, for sure ... a vienna? lager/ pilsener in style (lots of Germans migrated to Mexico, back in the days... thus , the blonde haired/blue-eyed Mexican folks ...)
A nice elegance? / soul that is usually missing from other cheapy macro-swill brews ... A decent smooth body and finish that doesn't assault your taste buds or sensibility as much as uber-hopped west coast style ales will do . (aint nobody got time for that...)
Ideal for basic Mexican cuisine (or any spicy food) .
has recently (2015) become my go-to 'cheap' beer when I don't want to spend more than $25/case . hits all the right notes in my mouth and won't crunkify you too much even if you have a couple too many ... ( can you say session beer ? )

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

The best beer our great neighbors from the south have provided. I once went to a Mexican restaurant and the stuck a lime on the top of the bottle... I flicked that stupid lime in a second and informed the waiter, this is Bohemia a real beer #nolimerequired.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

I don'know if it's because I've been in Mexico for two weeks and limited to a choice between Corona, Dos Equis, or Modelo, but, this Bohemia was like Flamenco Dancers prancing about on my tongue - castanets nipping at my palate. In comparison to beer from Plzen, the Czech Republic, it is more than a respectable effort! Solid in all its attributes...a FINE pilsner! My favorite latino brew to date!

2.93/5  rDev -14.8%

A: 12 oz bottle, 2 finger very frothy head, heavy lacing, pours pale yellow in color

S: slight fruity, hops aroma....very plain

T/had light body, strong carbonation.

D: avg beer taste, nothing special. tasted much better ice cold, but again nothing special

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

As the owner of a Mexican restaurant and having all the available Mexican beers, this one is my favorite.

Clean straw color. Very little head.

Smells faintly fruity, with a nice bready aroma.

Taste is sweet, thicker than it appears, but has a noticeable soft and welcomed fruitiness. Very little bitterness but enough to make this a well balanced beer.

Overall, this is the best Vienna-Style/Pilsner (whatever you want to call it) Mexico offers. Clean, refreshing, sessionable, versatile enough to match most every flavor profile on our menu, and one that actually has some complexity to it.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In my opinion, Bohemia is by far the best Mexican beer. Had this in the foil topped bottle, so I will not comment on the head or any of that stuff, but this is overall a decent beer.

Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, I get a Bohemia. For some odd reason, about two years ago, every Mexican place in town started bringing it out with a lime--I guess to cater to the Corona crowd--but I wish this would not happen because I find that the lime taste messes up the flavor of the hops.

The taste is similar to German or Czech beer in general; there is a little hop flavor and a little bold malty flavor at the same time. It has a similar mouthfeel to a beer like Lowenbrau, which is not too watery, but not having a solid presence either.

Overall a solid beer, especially when compared to other Mexican beers.

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

a - Pours a pale, light yellow color, very clear with not much carbonation. Pretty substantial head, but fades real quick to nothing.

s - Not much going on, thin, alcohol smell.

t - Tastes alright, but nothing really distinctive. Has some corn tastes alongside that alcohol, lager taste.

m - Light bodied with some crispiness.

d - Went well with Mexican food, and I prefer it to something like Corona, but not something I would go for at the store.

3.47/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Slightly hazy and golden. Moderate carbonation. Looks better than the majority of Mexican beers.

S - Slight hints of hops and grain. No discernible corn scent.

T - Malty, bitter, and hoppy. Tastes more akin to an ale than a pilsner. This is the tastiest Mexican beer I've had thus far.

M - Full bodied and satisfying. Not watery at all.

I had this for the first time at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised and will drink this each time I enjoy Mexican cousine.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

brewed by the same brewer as Tecate, my favorite beer, so i had to try it. similar to negra modelo, which i feel is better, but thats just me. this is also a great beer, if the didn't have negra modelo i would probably pick this up. i would recommend this to anyone who likes to explore new beers

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured into a basic shaker pint.
A:almost a brass clor with a bubbly white head that didn't last too long.Quite a bit of lacing

S:Hay and grains with a tad bit of spiceyness and hoppy kick.

T:Not at all like other pilsners i've had or mexican beers i've had.Spicey almost like cinnamon at first which turns into a light and good bitterness.

M: Smooth and light but not watery.Nice amount of carbonation.

D:very sessionable

pretty good but not one that you would have a craving for.i'd definitely drink it again

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Had this at the Tia Juana Restaurant in Fremont, California. Best Mexican food in the San Francisco's East Bay. In you're in the Irvington district -- check this place out. It's great. Right across the street from the Safeway.

Lovely golden yellow color. A little richer in appearance than your typical lager. Good, clean smell. I don't particularly care for bubble water beers like Corona -- so the hoppy bite to this brew was terrific. Very clean on the palate. Could drink this all night.

Had this right after a Dos Equis Special Amber and a Modelo Dark Ale -- and this beer blew the XX away -- and was definitely better than the Modelo. Try this beer out. You'll be very impressed.

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

Very impressed with Bohemia. I really hope it catches on as a Mexican beer, because it steps up the beer game. It is a favorite of mine for many reasons.
The smell is good. The taste is unique...a hint of potency, and a hint of sweet. Similar to Negra Modelo, but has its own style for sure. I always look twice in the stores just to make sure I didn't pass it up. I really enjoy Bohemia, there is no doubt about it.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.