Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
2.44/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz bottle with cool styling. no freshness date.

App: pale golden with head that lasts 10 secs.

Smell: Sweet grain. Maybe a bit of a corn smell? faint floral hops.

Taste: greeted by a husky malt taste. next comes a vegetable taste reminiscent of celery and carrots. Awful. But as I drink the taste subsides, and the flavor is dominated by a nice hop bitterness. After the strange veggie phase of 2-3 sips, it turns into a decent pils. As I finish the veggie flavor returns.

Crisp pils mouthfeel, but the combo of light flavor, high carbonation, and hop bitterness give it too much of a bite.

In a pinch this could be my pils fix. (637 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -30.4%

Golden pour, pretty yellow actually; golden is kind of kind.
(I'm not a fan of golden beers. No real reason...biased against gold, yellow beers mainly because of its resemblance to something...else.)

No real "head" per se, just some carbonation bubbles that accumlated at the top VERY briefly.

I caught a faint scent of, seriously, pork chop. Yes, pork chop. (And no, no one was cooking.) But seemed to fade pretty fast.
There was a slight vanilla scent that remained, and that was nice.

Its bitterness kind of sticks for a while at the top, back of the mouth. There's a slight creaminess to the feel, which is nice, but does a lot to point up the lingering aftertaste. Not a good end result.

Between this and a diet Pepsi, I'd take the Pepsi. Between this and a Bud light, it's be a real tought call and I'd hem and haw a little, but I guess I'd settle for this. (877 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.7%

pours a clear golden color one finger foamy white head that disappeared almost as soon as it was poured with no lace. clean smell of fruit and grain. corn and malt taste slight hop note dry light mouth feel carbonation was ok. claims of roasted barley cocoa like bitterness and hints of vanilla were not there as claimed on the cardboard carrier not something i would buy again. (378 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.7%

Anything is better than Corona. This is maltier than typical lagers. Tastes like it could be a vienna style, but isn't quite as sweet, dark, or malted as many of those brews. Fast fading head. Faintly sweet nose and flavor. A bit grainy. A bit more beer-like taste than the other 15 or so that I sampled in mexico. (314 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Spending two weeks in the Yucatan, felt like I had to try this, since I've had no urge to pick it up back home.

Pours a fairly pale golden yellow, quite clear, with about a half-finger of white head, which fades quickly, and leaves little lace.

Smell is rather faint hops with a hint of peppery spice. Not remarkable, really, but not so bad.

Taste has a bit of bite to it. Pale malt base doesn't provide much flavor, but the hops add a slight spice and tingle. Turns mildly bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine - light-bodied, with ample carbonation and a slightly prickly finish.

This is like a muted pilsner - it has all the right elements, but with the volume turned down. Those elements set it apart from a lot of other Mexican beers, but it doesn't measure up so well against other versions. (804 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -32.4%

Very unimpressive beer. No real body to it. Pours clear brown with a short-lived off-white head. Moderate lacing. Grainy, straw aroma with a handful of corn. Watery, bubbly mouthfeel. More hay and grain in the taste, and a metallic aftertaste. Bland. (250 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -32.7%

This is a low point for me. Why am I reviewing this? Boredom on vacation? Am I a karma slut? I hope not.

Appearance: Yellow color fails to impress but lacing is thick throught. The yellow is not a good golden yellow.

Smell: Some malt going on-I think.

Taste: bland to the extreme.

Mouthfeel: watery but not offensive.

Drinkable: Drinkable in the way water is drinkable. Hey, if you are the type of BA who thinks this kind of beer has its place after mowing the lawn-this is for you. I would recommend water in its stead. (535 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

Appearance – This one is light yellow in color with a smallish head.

Smell – There’s a faint grain aroma here to go with the sugary sweetness, which seems to be the main attraction.

Taste – The grain was just plain nasty at the taste and the sweetness reminded me of a Pixie Stick I left outside in the rain once when I was a kid.

Mouthfeel – This sample from Mexico is light-bodied and fizzy in the mouth.

Sinkability – This one lacks substance and winded up in the pipes. (491 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -39%

I had the pleasure of having this one from a bottle.

Poured a light to medium golden color with a small white head. Lightly sweet. No real tastes or smells other than the generic Pale Lager/Pilsner profile (straw, grassy and somewhat corny). Thin and watery.

Notes from 11/30/04 (280 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

Bought a 6 pack of bottles for $6.49 at local Mexican Supermarket.
Poored first one into a 16oz mug , drank second one out of the bottle . The packaging was nice and that was about it while not a offensive tasting beer I felt ripped off after drinking the first bottle no head and very flat.If I had a do over I would take High life or Oldstyle over this. (356 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -42.1%

Written From Notes Compiled 6/04-8/04:
Medium gold, small head raises and falls very fast. Skunks grassy malt smell. Flavor has a lot of skunky malt, but also hides a hefe-like banana and clove flavor, also a little metallic. Body is very thin, i could see this crap getting annoying very quickly. (298 characters)

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. (252 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -43%

No head to speak of. Color is only slightly darker than ginger ale.

Ho hum hops in the nose, but a bit floral.

Very neutral mouthfeel, not much going on. Tasted better than it looked. Never could pinpoint the floral smell, but you can taste is as well as you can smell it.

Almost no finish to speak of, which is probably a good thing for this dreadful beer.

Drinkable only in the sense that it really doesn't taste like much. This beer almost has to be drank with something else as there is little flavor. Only a dedicated Bud drinker would consider this a "clasica" import. (580 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -44.1%

A small white head with fine-large bubbles that quickly dissipated.The body was clear with carbonation observed.This beer's hue was yellow-gold and the nose was malty.The flavor was somewhat bitter and lightly hoppy.Its mouthfeel was tingly, thin and light bodied.There was very little lacing with this beer.In my opinion there is nothing that really stood out with this beer and it was rather a boring beer to drink and rate. (426 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -44.1%

Pours an oddly green-tinged yellow, flat top but mega-fizzy. Clear, thin-looking, bland.

Smells revoltingly sweet. Lots of corn grain with brown sugar and little else. Just bland and sweet. While I'm surprised that it has a smell, it's not pleasantly so. It's like when you first discovered Lady Gaga had a penis. It may or may not have been a surprise, but it certainly wasn't a pleasant one.

Taste is less sweet, thankfully. Still mostly bland though - watery on the assault that gets a bit sweet, bordering on malty, towards the mid, a touch of cereal grain on there that becomes slightly tart towards the back. Touch of vanilla late is the most interesting thing, but it can't save an otherwise very bland palate.

Bit of texture on the feel but still pretty thin. Carbonation tingle is not overblown though.

There seems to be a noticeable effort put into this beer that isn't present in most bland Mexican lagers. But it's not enough for me not to lump this in with all the others as uninspiring, insipid swill. (1,019 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -44.7%

Thin white head. Sickly pale straw body. Corn and nut smell. Tastes, in order of intensity, like Crayon, tobacco, and wet paper. Not refreshing in any way. The flavors are not pleasant. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle. I'll give it another shot some day because I really feel this is very unenjoyable. The first thing that came to my mind was "Is this just supposed to be the style?" (383 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -49%

I grabbed one of these at the company picnic the other day. I wish I hadn't. I mean, I'd heard it wasn't great, but it was still a let down.

A - Pale straw yellow with a fairly big bright white head.
S - Corn and plastic scent. Doesn't make me want to drink it.
T - I wish I didn't drink it. Tastes like canned corn.
M - Pretty non-existent.
D - Goes down smooth due to wateriness, but I won't be grabbing another even if it's free. (439 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured a very pale yellow with a fizzy, white head composed of very large bubbles. Smell was off- it seemed sour, stale,and like something unpleasant had been burning (not sure what it was). The taste was harsh and very bitter. I can't tell exactly what was in the taste, but it clashed. No real things I could identify as hops or malt or such. Is it this bad or is this one skunked? (383 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -51%

Not a good beer. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I was expecting too much. Not much appearance. It looked like half sprite and half mountain dew. The smell? What smell. I couldn't smell anything.
Taste was pretty bad. I was expecting some kind of hops, maybe a little citrusy tinge, but I was really let down. All I tasted was the carbonationand a tad of sweetness. At the very end there was a tiny hoppy taste, but it disappeared quite quickly. The mouthfeel was fizzy, like a normal pilsener, but more like a carbonated beverage than a smooth, silky lager from "Bohemia". No aftertaste, either.

I'm not a fan of putting lemons or limes in a beer, and I don't think any kind of citrus fruit could have rescued it. (735 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -64.8%

Appearance - Light yellow. Tall soapy white head that shrinks quickly into a mere film. Very clear and bubbly.

Smell - Light hops.

Taste - Begins quite watery. Finishes with rather prominent floral hops. A little jarring and not all that tasty.

Mouthfeel - Very light.

Drinkability - Different, but not a good different. I would turn down another of these. I'm pretty sure, also, that this is not a Vienna Lager probably a Pilsner. (435 characters)

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.