Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear, somewhat pale, golden straw color. Foamy white head is somewhat flimsy, but laces the glass some.

Smell: Generally hops and grains. Very mild smell overall; difficult to fully notice.

Taste: Again, grains and hops. But there's also a bit of somewhat sweet malts present as well. Nothing is particularly distinct. I don't notice the corn taste that is present in many Central & South American beers.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and generally smooth, though it does have the grainy elements. Mild carbonation as well.

Drinkability: Certainly easy enough to drink and nothing is really objectionable to impede drinking.

An average Mexican lager: average all around. Could be a bit tastier, but for this type of beer it's perfectly acceptable. Not something I'd seek out, but not something I'd reject. (871 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +10.3%

A favorite of mine when I'm eating Mexican food, however I polished one off a few nights ago after eating Chinese food. Hmmm, there's an idea I should try in the future, crossing one culture's food with another culture's beer. I guess I've done it a few times without ever thinking about it, but how weird would it be to see Tsingtao beer with Italian dishes? Anyways, let's move on and get to this beer:

It's a pale straw color, that pours a nice head, but shrinks considerably after a minute. It has a a nice hop aroma that doesn't leave you gasping for air with caramel notes in the back. The beer's slightly sweet, with a hoppy profile, but not bitter. It's very refreshing and easy to drink, making it a good choice when one is thirsty and doesn't want to drink water. Remember, this is a Mexican beer that's built for easy comsumption. But more importantly, it tastes pretty darn good, and that characteristic puts it above other Mexi-Lagers. (951 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The word on the street is that this is one of the good Mexican beers.

Appearance: The pour is straw to gold with a small white head.

Smell: The nose has soft grains and a bit of sweet malts.

Taste: Light grains and a hint of crisp saaz hops are nice, but sweet malts take what could be a semi-tolerable maco lager down a notch.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied and fizzy.

Drinkability: There's not much going on in this one, but what is present is a flavor that I'll be happy to pass on next time I see it. (520 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -1.7%

served into mug from 12oz.brown bottle crimped cap at Mexican restaraunt,a bit on the cold side mug was chilled not frosted.

Clear,light golden color,large bubbles on sides of glass,small tiny bubbles stringing from the center of the glass.Thin white,head dissapating quickley,2nd beer was better about 1/2" head lasted a bit longer. Some spotty lacing on sides of glass.

A crisp,clean citrusy aroma,also carmelly,more carmelly nose as the beer warms. Good aromas as compaired to most Mexican beers.

Clean,snappy citrus bite,a bit grapefruitty,wasn't malty at first,more malt tastes as it warms and mid taste malt flavors.A good clean,fresh citrus taste to the finish. Overall a nice balance to this beer.

A clean,light mouthfeel,pleasing and refreshing,very drinkable.A good Mexican session beer very enjoyable citrus bite really adds to drinkability. A forum post said this was the Best Mexician beer, made me give it a try. I'd have to agree with this. (967 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours a dull, light straw colored brew with crisp lines. Head is really nice; full, creamy, fluffy and snow white.

S: Dry grass, white grapes with really dry biscuits

T: Begins dry and somewhat grainy. Some vegetable sweetness comes in next including pees, corn and potato. Oily mineral taste is present as well, that trademark "Mexican" taste that accompanies most south of the border beers. There's a slight sour twang that resembles lime which would probably blossum if an actual lime wedge was added. Finishes metallic and dry. Now I'll add the lime and what a difference it makes...really cuts through the oily mineral taste.

M: Thin and hard with a touch of carbo sting.

D: Not my favorite Mexican lager but not bad. The lime helped. (754 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

with my only other mexican beer expierence being corona and dos equis. i found this beer to be nicely suprising. pours a very lear light gold. tons of bubbles, looks refreshing. the smell is a cross between grainyness with slight hops and spicy grass. overall pleasnt. very nice taste, touch of hop flavor, no offensive tones. goes down real smooth for little aftertaste. could definitly see drinking a few of these. definitly my favorite mexican beer. (452 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +4%

What's this? A beer called Bohemia...and made in Mexico? Will wonders never cease. Even more wonderful, despite the fact it looks like your typical crummy Mexican lager, this one's actually not half bad. Nice sweet smell, a bit more malty and flavorful than most of the Mexican beers I've become used to, and the detectable presence of a hop or two.

Actually a nicely quaffable little brew. Really surprisingly good. (419 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -20.4%

This beer pours a golden color that is akin to urine with no darkness or haze to it. The smell is unfortunately the same, with just a hint of wheat behind it. The taste is very light, much like an American macro-lager. A bit of carbonation as well keeps this beer from lingering on the tongue too long, but still is not able to get the taste down in enough time. I imagine the only reason you’d drink this beer is if you were in Mexico and you wanted some local flavor, but its definitely not something you’d seek out otherwise. (530 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +2%

Pours a clear pale yellow with very little head and it vanishes quickly. Smells like a beer, tastes like a beer. Not really bad, and better than a lot of brews I've had of late. Well-balanced and easy drinking, I could easily put a few of these away. (250 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a golden hue with small, thin head. Smell is clean with fresh lightly hopped aroma. Initial taste is sharp and clean with light malt and hops up front but not a lot on the back end. Very crisp with a little more carbonation than I would expect. Mouthfeel is light.

All and all, not a bad brew. Could whack quite a few back. Would make a decent session brew.This is a good beer for the masses. While not what I would expect in a Vienna Lager, this is a decent beer. (473 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a dark straw with a good amount of sediment...never seen that before. Nice white head foams up.

Smell. Light malt aroma that is slightly sweet. also has an interesting menthol cooling smell i do not remember.

Taste. Interesting flavor. I'm guessing its the sediment right now giving it the yeasty flavor. But does have just a touch of hop bitterness. Flavor is not bad, just not much to talk about.

Mouthfeel. Body is creamy, but low on carbonation. not bad.

Overall. One of only a small handful of mexican beers i like to drink. No big frills here, but is good enough to enjoy with mexican, or even a six pack at home. (641 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

This brew pours to a light yellow color with a small white head that breaks down quickly leaving a slight film on the top. The aroma is sweet with some actual hops that is noticeable. Also a slight skunky aroma but not over whelming, and in truth does not impact the brew too much. Noticeable grain like flavors with a fair amount of malt, which finishes with a slight, but nice and noticeable hop taste. This brew is not bad; it was the first one that I came across where I could actually pick up a noticeable hop flavor. For the brews that I have had while in Mexico I would say that this was middle of the pack. Possible something that I would get while at a Mexican restaurant but have some others that I like a bit better. (727 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -50.9%

Not a good beer. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I was expecting too much. Not much appearance. It looked like half sprite and half mountain dew. The smell? What smell. I couldn't smell anything.
Taste was pretty bad. I was expecting some kind of hops, maybe a little citrusy tinge, but I was really let down. All I tasted was the carbonationand a tad of sweetness. At the very end there was a tiny hoppy taste, but it disappeared quite quickly. The mouthfeel was fizzy, like a normal pilsener, but more like a carbonated beverage than a smooth, silky lager from "Bohemia". No aftertaste, either.

I'm not a fan of putting lemons or limes in a beer, and I don't think any kind of citrus fruit could have rescued it. (735 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Nice pouring, nice looking brew. I had this for the first time the other night at a mexican restaurant. I tasted this lager both with and without lime. Without the lime I thought it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite mexican beer, but it's a pretty darn close #2.

When I had it with the lime, I thought it was still a good beer--however, it really changed the flavor of it. I don't want to say it took away from the beer, but it really did change the taste. Still good with the lime, but I do think it's even better without.

I think the taste was very clean and crisp, the mouthfeel was very nice. It was a little softer than a lot of lagers, but very nice. I rate this pretty high on drinkability. (My standard of drinkability is rating it by how well I think I could drink a brew all night). I could drink this one all night. (882 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +19.5%

Nice Lager pour, very vibrant yellow in color. Reminiscent of sunshine when held under a light! Carbonation looks extremely well done, and the streams are impressive. Large lively white foamy head as well. Good appearance. Smell is very non offensive. It's subdued, but still plenty aromatic. Light citrus hop profile, a hint of bananas, and grassy malt. Not bad. Now let's check out the taste. Taste is crisp and smooth. Upfront has a semi sweet/sour rush of grassy malt, grain, and tangy citrus. Midway, the light citrus/floral hops take over, allowing the drink to finish with a receding pleasent citric bitter. A mexican beer with hops!!! It's a miracle, and a damn good one at that. Mouthfeel is right on for the lager style, providing adequate carbonation and palate tingles. Drikability is good, you could definitely drink a few.

An awesome Mexican beer, and a wonderful exmple of the Vienna Lager style as well. This was tasty, and I recommended it. (960 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +39.4%

I read some of the reviews and wonder why people bothered to review this beer when they only had one (Jay the Finn) and it had lime in it (Judge Roughneck). I enjoy lime occasionally, but to review a beer after only one and when lime was in it is pretty lame.

Bottom line - this is THE BEST MEXICAN BEER. PERIOD. I like Modelo, Victoria, Carta Blanca, Indio, and Leon, and even Dos Equis at times, but Bohemia is in a class by itself. I don't even know how to describe it, but I'll try. It smells better, it looks better, it feels better, it tastes better. It isn't overpowering, but it is definitely not weak. It has a very distinctive, unique taste. It is easy to drink and EVERY time I have it, I think to myself, I should never have any other beer - at least when in Mexico.

Bohemia is not real easy to find, but is totally worth it if you can. They also have a dark beer (Obscura) and a Wheat beer made with coriander and orange peel. I think it is the first (if not the only) wheat beer produced in Mexico. THEY ARE ALL EXCELLENT BEERS!

On the down side, it is ESSENTIAL to get these when they are fresh. Fresh Bohemia is gratifying and delicious. Stale Bohemia is not good. It isn't horrible, but it seriously drops to average or below average.

Unfortunately, Bohemia is not advertised like the other Mexican beers and as a result, is easy to miss.

UPDATE: Mexico is now getting more serious about craft beers so I may have to retract my "best Mexican beer, period" statement. But, it is still the best mass produced Mexican beer. (1,544 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -4%

This is a pale gold beer with not much head and liveley carbonation. I can't smell anything really beyond the giant lime wedge that was perched on my glass so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and rating it average. I did pick up some musty grain smell.

The taste here is a bit tangy, (no I didn't put the lime in) something I look for more in a mexican lager than vienna but I'm not splitting hairs. The brew is light and sweet, slick and springy on the tounge, and goes down smooth. (493 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz bottle poured into goblet-type glassware.

Appearance: Dark straw color, something like a wheat beer. Decent head.

Smell: A bit malty and sweet. Some noble hops in the background.

Taste: A bit different than I expected - full bodied with a good maltiness and a bit of fruit. Clean and crisp overall.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, great carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, maybe just a tad less so than some other typical lagers.

Overall, one of the better Mexican lagers I have had. (506 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -48.9%

I grabbed one of these at the company picnic the other day. I wish I hadn't. I mean, I'd heard it wasn't great, but it was still a let down.

A - Pale straw yellow with a fairly big bright white head.
S - Corn and plastic scent. Doesn't make me want to drink it.
T - I wish I didn't drink it. Tastes like canned corn.
M - Pretty non-existent.
D - Goes down smooth due to wateriness, but I won't be grabbing another even if it's free. (439 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Bohemia is a flower amongst weeds when it comes to beers produced in Mexico; not that there aren't a few other good ones here and there, but for the most part there are more bad than good.

It pours a crystal-clear deep gold body beneath an average-sized head of bright white foam. The retention is very good, but it leaves only very minor lacing about the glass.

The nose is bright and fresh with floral and gently spicy hops (Saaz) over a delicately sweet and mildly candyish maltiness that suggests honey with a drop of vanilla.

In the mouth it's medium-bodied and crisp with a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation.

The flavor is quite straightforward, but it has finesse. It's clean and very well-balanced with a solid bitterness that backs it's lightly grainy and slightly honeyish maltiness and floral, spicy, and lightly grassy hops. It finishes with a lingering combination of hops, sweet malt, and gentle bitterness that gently erode from the palate.

Overall, Bohemia is a very nicely done, well-refined European-style lager that easily stands up to its predecessors, and deserves more attention than it gets. (1,133 characters)

Bohemia pours a light yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Grainy and banana like aromas are present (I don't think there's supposed to be banana like aromas!). Banana like flavors are also present in the taste. After the beer aired out briefly, I can no longer taste banana or smell it. Grainy flavors dominate, a little bit of a citrus twang too. Actually, not too bad for a Mexican offering. Worth a try. (429 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: normal looking pale ale: some fizz, golden shower yellow, wimpy head

Smell: Corn, some other grain

Taste: corn, balanced a bit with a touch of hops and malts,

Mouthfeel: medium thin, a bit grainy at the end

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker. It's a little complex but not much. It's a good bad porch drinkin' beer. It vaguely reminds me of Sam Adams but still doesn't come close. Still it serves a different purspose I suppose. (455 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -12.6%

I absolutly love mexican food, but I've had a hard time finding a mexican beer to go with my food that I trully enjoy. I usually go with a Negra Modelo, but today I discovered something I'd never seen anywhere else before... and I liked it (for the most part).

A: Nothing special, very yellow with little to no head or lacing. Lots of bubbles.

S: Again nothing special, a bit citrusy but that's about it.

T: I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasently surprised. Though it was similar to other mexican beers, it packed a bit more bite. The malt was light, but noticable and what I liked the most was it had a hoppy bitter finish which other Mexican beers lack.

M: Nothing that stands out. Light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

D: This is not something I would drink regularly, but definatly what I'll be ordering the next time I go out for mexican food. I recommend drinking it with OUT adding lime. (924 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Still the king of mexican beers as far as I'm concerned, exceptionally smooth, not watered down like Corona or cheap tasting like Tecate, Carta Blanca etc. Color is darker than your average lager, great in a frosted mug.

Many mexican restaurants in Texas will carry this beer. One warning, since this beer is not as well known as other mexican brews, it may have been sitting in the storage room for a while. Like all beers, if it's old it may start to get a bit skunky. If you get a bottle from a fresh batch, you will not regret trying it. (545 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

From the 12oz. brown bottle w/gold neck-cap foil pours an ultra light yellow-gold lager with a white 1/2inch bubbley head. Good carbonation keeps the head aloft, micro bubbles and pristene clarity, with very little lacing.

Mildly sweet, grainy malt nose with some green, grassy hops pretty much sums it up. Smells nice and refreshing.

Tastes like it smells, faintly sweet grainy, bready malt flavor that subsides rather quickly, too a bittery hop finish. Nice balance of malt and hops, with the alcohol going undetected.

Light body with a pleasant mouthfeel, this beer can be heavily consumed in hot weather and accompanies a good Mexican dish like no other. This is still my all-around favorite Mexican beer to date. Cheers! (734 characters)

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.